Shopper accuses Woolworths of 'daylight robbery' after being charged excessive grocery prices

Grocery shopping has become a costly affair for Australians, with prices skyrocketing across the board.

From everyday essentials to specialty items, the cost of filling up your shopping cart can quickly add up.

It's getting harder and harder to make ends meet, and one mum has had enough.

One shopper, who goes by the username @rhondasane, took to TikTok to share her recent experience at Woolworths, where she went in for just a few items and was shocked by the prices she saw.

In her basket were 10 items, including staples like bread and instant noodles and treats like dumplings and energy drinks. She even managed to snag a special deal on dishwashing tablets. Or so she thought.

But the total bill left her reeling when she got to the checkout.

'How much do you reckon that cost me?' she asked before revealing the receipt total was $90.

Her post garnered a lot of attention from shoppers, with opinions split on the validity of her claim.

Many shoppers could relate to the rising costs of everyday items, and felt sympathetic to her situation.

On the other hand, some expressed scepticism about the total cost of her grocery items.
However, the mum quickly addressed the doubts by sharing a follow-up video where she showed her receipt and labelled the pricing as a 'daylight robbery'.

9410a9b0-c222-11ed-95f7-da6396889a32

A shopper accused Woolworths of overcharging their customers. Credit: TikTok/@jawjah21.

According to the receipt, the most expensive item was the pack of dishwashing tablets, which she alleges were advertised as ‘on sale’ in the store.

'Who buys fairy tablets full-price? Nobody. Ridiculous,' she said before sharing that she had initially believed she was purchasing the item for $10.

After becoming suspicious that the scanned price of $36 was wrong, she later checked the price of the product online and was disappointed to learn that it was indeed retailing for $18.
The shopper continued: ‘So they didn't scan as a special.’

'It doesn’t matter that they weren’t $10, but they were still only $8 more and I still paid nearly $40 for f***ing dishwashing tablets.’

Since the follow-up video was uploaded, a number of other viewers have suggested alternatives, such as Woolworths’ own brand or searching other store brands at other outlets such as ALDI or the Reject Shop.

In response to the woman's claim that the dishwashing pods had been scanned at the wrong price, a representative from Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies.

The spokesperson said: 'If there's an issue of something scanning incorrectly, then our advice to customers is always let the team know so it can be rectified.’

'Also, our 100-tablet box of Strike dishwashing tablets at $12.80 is excellent value, working out to be less than 13 cents a tablet.'

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper went to Woolworths for only a few items but was shocked by the bill that came to just shy of $90.
  • The most expensive item was a pack of dishwashing tablets that were advertised as on sale in the store, but the shopper later discovered the actual price of the item online.
  • The shopper accused Woolworths of ‘daylight robbery' for the excessive prices on essential groceries.
  • Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies and suggested its own brand of dishwashing tablets at $12.80, which works out to be less than 13 cents per tablet.

Members, this story does raise an important point about the need to shop around for the best deals and compare prices, especially when it comes to those extra items like dishwashing tablets that may cost more than you think.

Alternatively, you might consider switching to a less expensive brand if your go-to brand’s price exceeds your budget.

Be sure to dedicate some time to research and read reviews to make sure that the alternative you’re purchasing is worth the money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Have you ever experienced a similar situation at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments!

Sponsored
Woolworths claim to have dropped prices for Autumn yet Bulla Dollop cream which retailed at$3 jumped to $3.80 and increase of over 26% .......
These so called specials sometimes can be ok but face it, the supermarkets are not going to lose so whilst they maybe mark something down, they will put other products up. If you put 20 products up by 10 cents, you've covered the marked down cost of the special. Nothing is for free! They are companies and are purely there to please shareholders and make huge profits. The same as the banks, they couldn't give a rats if you can't pay your mortgage and end up on the street, they want huge profits and that's what they are getting.

I went in for a few items which were on special for half price and also my weekly things and I came out with not even 3 woolworths bags and it cost $180.00. Total shock ??? as I have always budgeted my groceries and the only meat I bought was a kilo of mince.
I know. I do my groceries online as I don't drive any more due to a health condition. I'm on a pension so every cent counts. I check the specials first but most of the time they are things that I don't use or want anyway. Hair shampoo that was $20 now half priced to $10. I wouldn't pay $10 for shampoo when I was working. A $3.50 one will do me. They also have on their specials pages and pages of multivitamins at half price. Was $50 now $25. Not paying that either. If they can bring the price down to that low, just proves how much everything is marked up in the first place. Sometimes you might wing it. I did buy a few months ago 5kg of washing powder at something like $13 which will last me for months. Other than that really not great. They will also mark down if you buy two of say packets of ham by 63 cents or so but in reality you're just being lured into buying two packets to save not much. Great marketing strategy and also when you go to check out online it comes up with 'have you forgotten' all the items you purchased last shop. Again, great marketing because you didn't really need them but think oh well may as well grab that again. And then you see the total and have a heart attack and also then pay up to $15 for delivery. Often there are mistakes made and you get someone else's stuff and call them and they won't take it back so the other person has got your stuff and you've got theirs. Which of course you didn't want. Their website is not up to date as it could be either. You order it, it accepts it and get to the checkout and not available so you have to go back in and find a substitute. Rant over!

If she thought the dishwasher tablets were $10 but they were $18 x 2 , how about heading to the service desk and returning them, I'm sorry no sympathy here the dumplings weren't cheap either. If the advertised price of DW tablets was $10 and you're charged $18 they will refund and give you the item for free so what is the actual problem here.
They don't give the product for free anymore they just fix up the price difference, that is what happens to me at Woolworths when I go to the service desk with a problem.

I am so sick of items scanning at the wrong price - or being double scanned. Nothing worse than feeling like you’re being ripped off when doing your grocery shop - Coles is just as bad.
Simple 30 second solution if you think you have been overcharged...stop right outside the supermarket after you have gone through the checkout. Run your eyes down the receipt and if there is any discrepany go to the front service counter and speak calmly and politely to the staff about your query. Any refunds for overcharging or double scanning will be given to you, no questions asked. Has often happened to me...and refunds were always given on the spot.

Yes but she

Yes but she was led to believe the dishwasher pills were only 10 dollars; I have come across this trick by the supermarkets regularly. I bought 10 or 11 products the other day and believe me I do not throw money around and it cost me 98 dollars. I was disgusted! and there was nothing flash in the shop!
Be aware that a lot of stores even tv adds can be misleading. Tv advert showed KFC 8 wicked wings for $8.00
I drove to my local KFC and was told that was a purchase online only deal.
I ended up getting 6 wicked wings for $8.45 cause I felt like them as a treat for lunch and save the rest for lunch tomorrow.
Next time I shall go to the Supermarket and buy 2 kls of uncooked wings and make them myself for less.
They can afford thousands of dollars for tv advertising that's misleading. No more KFC anymore. Too bad,so sad.

The 1/2 price specials at Woolworths and Coles aren't always right they are supposed to start on a Wednesday I've got the wife to call in to get items on her way home in the afternoon on Wednesday to get the specials only to find that they haven't been marked down usually I find them marked a day or two later it passes me off that these supermarkets stuff it up regularly arseholes
I keep an eye on prices by downloading the catalogue prices to my computer. The advertised price is a smoke screen... the advertised price is the "REAL PRICE"

I shop for the absolute nececties and avoid anything that attracts GST. I an aiming to get the cost of living food wise as low as I can get it....$2.10 for per person which I have achieved to date. A low as $1.78 In March

You have to be aware that with the click and collect and online shopping, there are some specials which are only available to the online shoppers.. personally, I use the supermarket app list facility so that I know before I go in what my shopping is going to cost, allowing for variables like loose fruit and veggies. For large items like DW tablets, coffee, laundry detergents etc, i price compare before I get there and if the final total is outside my budget, then I knock off non-urgent stuff and put it on next weeks list. I have to do this to survive and wish I’d gotten into the habit years ago!

Grocery shopping has become a costly affair for Australians, with prices skyrocketing across the board.

From everyday essentials to specialty items, the cost of filling up your shopping cart can quickly add up.

One shopper, who goes by the username @rhondasane, took to TikTok to share her recent experience at Woolworths, where she went in for just a few items and was shocked by the prices she saw.

In her basket were 10 items, including staples like bread and instant noodles and treats like dumplings and energy drinks. She even managed to snag a special deal on dishwashing tablets. Or so she thought.

'How much do you reckon that cost me?' she asked before revealing the receipt total was $90.

Her post garnered a lot of attention from shoppers, with opinions split on the validity of her claim.

Many shoppers could relate to the rising costs of everyday items, and felt sympathetic to her situation.

On the other hand, some expressed scepticism about the total cost of her grocery items.
However, the mum quickly addressed the doubts by sharing a follow-up video where she showed her receipt and labelled the pricing as a 'daylight robbery'.

A shopper accused Woolworths of overcharging their customers. Credit: TikTok/@jawjah21.

According to the receipt, the most expensive item was the pack of dishwashing tablets, which she alleges were advertised as ‘on sale’ in the store.

'Who buys fairy tablets full-price? Nobody. Ridiculous,' she said before sharing that she had initially believed she was purchasing the item for $10.

After becoming suspicious that the scanned price of $36 was wrong, she later checked the price of the product online and was disappointed to learn that it was indeed retailing for $18.

'It doesn’t matter that they weren’t $10, but they were still only $8 more and I still paid nearly $40 for f***ing dishwashing tablets.’

Since the follow-up video was uploaded, a number of other viewers have suggested alternatives, such as Woolworths’ own brand or searching other store brands at other outlets such as ALDI or the Reject Shop.

In response to the woman's claim that the dishwashing pods had been scanned at the wrong price, a representative from Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies.

The spokesperson said: 'If there's an issue of something scanning incorrectly, then our advice to customers is always let the team know so it can be rectified.’

'Also, our 100-tablet box of Strike dishwashing tablets at $12.80 is excellent value, working out to be less than 13 cents a tablet.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper went to Woolworths for only a few items but was shocked by the bill that came to just shy of $90.
  • The most expensive item was a pack of dishwashing tablets that were advertised as on sale in the store, but the shopper later discovered the actual price of the item online.
  • The shopper accused Woolworths of ‘daylight robbery' for the excessive prices on essential groceries.
  • Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies and suggested its own brand of dishwashing tablets at $12.80, which works out to be less than 13 cents per tablet.

Members, this story does raise an important point about the need to shop around for the best deals and compare prices, especially when it comes to those extra items like dishwashing tablets that may cost more than you think.

Alternatively, you might consider switching to a less expensive brand if your go-to brand’s price exceeds your budget.

Be sure to dedicate some time to research and read reviews to make sure that the alternative you’re purchasing is worth the money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Have you ever experienced a similar situation at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments!

For starters you could get rid of the energy drinks. They aren't really every day staples. Never buy dish washer tablets from the supermarkets. They are half that price at the cheapie shops. It pays to shop smarter these days.

I don't always trust specials. I've been to Woolworth and seen one of my frequently bought items on special, therefore I knew it's normal price. I found the "special price" was dearer than the normal. I can sympathise with this lady. What I bought for $50 only 12 months or so ago, now costs me to $90.
This is the reason we don’t shop at Woolworths.
Being overcharged for items at the supermarkets, big variety stores and even multi store clothing chains happens all the time. Most people just deal with it directly with the store concerned and don’t post it all over social media seeking their “two minutes of fame”, if everyone did that social media would be totally clogged up with totally unnecessary ? “Wanna be ers “
So your saying to just accept the mistakes and rip offs from the past Supermarkets and continue to be ripped off, I assume that you have won the lottery or missing a few screws?

What would you have done before social media? Either suck it up or bring it to the attention of the store service counter. Why don't you try one of those?
Supermarkets have hundreds, maybe thousands of products and many staff to keep track of so mistakes are inevitable but if you handle it responsibly by talking to them about it I'm sure you will be satisfied or compensated.

Last edited:

Key Takeaways

As an aged pensioner, I’m always looking for a bargain. In its test of dishwashing tablets, Choice found that the best were the Aldi tablets. I was very suspicious of this claim, but I bought them, and I’ve used nothing else since.

I saw a beauty the other day, whish I had my phone with me. Wife went to grab an item on "special" but when I looked closely the "special" tag was in between two different items on the shelf, and upon me reading the tag the "special" was for the other item, not the one she wanted. You can add this trick to the one where they load a section up with 30 different items with a main special tag on the frame and only a few items in the display are actually "on special" as pointed out in last weeks newsletter. My pet hate is when they increase a product in price and then a few weeks later have it on "special" at the previous price!

I check the price on the shelf is actually for the item behind it. I don’t know whether it’s intentional 🤔 but have often found they don’t match and the price tag is for a similar but cheaper brand.

Key Takeaways

I'm glad that both my parents taught me to cook when I was a child, all I need are the raw materials, and I don't mean meat or vegetables although many years ago I used to hunt.

Getting ripped of when shopping for groceries at Woolworths and Coles? Who isn't? The special this week is what hasn't sold last week, the price of which has always gone up by 30c-50c this week.

CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, on the shelf and when it is scanned. If anything comes up wrong according to the shelf price let the check-out operator know. They are then bound to either delete the item, have a ‘price-check’ done with management and you can even have it deleted from your bill. Buy something else. Onus is up to you and management needs to know their prices are a rip-off also.
YEP .. I check and check ...but after 3 incorrect price scans on items in my basket guess what happens ... Scan One .. call the checkout person to go check the shelf price ... so the computer was wrong... Scan Two.. call the checkout person again ..comp wrong again... Scan Three .. call the check out person again to check the shelf price .. and the line behind me grows bigger by the minute.... the shoppers get cranky particularly Mums with kids .. telling me to just pay for the items and let others check out their goods... Not just one woman but about 3-4 of them .. One further back stuck up for me saying that I had the right to checkout the prices and for them to try another line .. I was so close to just leaving the lot and walking out of the shop till that woman spoke up for me... Lesson Learnt . Don't shop when school comes out .. some Mothers can be nasty.

It happened to me in Coles. Admittedly it wasn’t a huge thing but I questioned the price that came up on my checkout. It was dog food but the fact I saw the price on the shelf at $1.95 couldn’t read any of the other printing on label way too small. Once it scanned it showed up as $2.90. I got it checked and the service girl told me it was the price for the smaller can but again I questioned it and was told that the staff had put the box of food on the wrong shelf. I told her that the shelf had always stocked it like that and it was something that had been in the same position previously. On checking it again yesterday the same cans of dog food were still in the same position with the same price shown. I never got it any cheaper so now I will bypass Coles supermarkets they can stick it right where the sun doesn’t shine in their anatomy
HAVE WE FORGOTTEN... that 'Not so long ago" ... the policy was If you find an item with the wrong price and the staff confirm it as THEIR mistake not something a 'Snart-ass' customer has done... THEN THE ITEM WAS FREE... Maybe too many dumb stockists working at a cheaper hourly rates or being pushed to do the same work in LESS time.