Shopper accuses Woolworths of 'daylight robbery' after being charged excessive grocery prices

Grocery shopping has become a costly affair for Australians, with prices skyrocketing across the board.

From everyday essentials to specialty items, the cost of filling up your shopping cart can quickly add up.

It's getting harder and harder to make ends meet, and one mum has had enough.

One shopper, who goes by the username @rhondasane, took to TikTok to share her recent experience at Woolworths, where she went in for just a few items and was shocked by the prices she saw.

In her basket were 10 items, including staples like bread and instant noodles and treats like dumplings and energy drinks. She even managed to snag a special deal on dishwashing tablets. Or so she thought.

But the total bill left her reeling when she got to the checkout.

'How much do you reckon that cost me?' she asked before revealing the receipt total was $90.

Her post garnered a lot of attention from shoppers, with opinions split on the validity of her claim.

Many shoppers could relate to the rising costs of everyday items, and felt sympathetic to her situation.

On the other hand, some expressed scepticism about the total cost of her grocery items.
However, the mum quickly addressed the doubts by sharing a follow-up video where she showed her receipt and labelled the pricing as a 'daylight robbery'.

9410a9b0-c222-11ed-95f7-da6396889a32

A shopper accused Woolworths of overcharging their customers. Credit: TikTok/@jawjah21.

According to the receipt, the most expensive item was the pack of dishwashing tablets, which she alleges were advertised as ‘on sale’ in the store.

'Who buys fairy tablets full-price? Nobody. Ridiculous,' she said before sharing that she had initially believed she was purchasing the item for $10.

After becoming suspicious that the scanned price of $36 was wrong, she later checked the price of the product online and was disappointed to learn that it was indeed retailing for $18.
The shopper continued: ‘So they didn't scan as a special.’

'It doesn’t matter that they weren’t $10, but they were still only $8 more and I still paid nearly $40 for f***ing dishwashing tablets.’

Since the follow-up video was uploaded, a number of other viewers have suggested alternatives, such as Woolworths’ own brand or searching other store brands at other outlets such as ALDI or the Reject Shop.

In response to the woman's claim that the dishwashing pods had been scanned at the wrong price, a representative from Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies.

The spokesperson said: 'If there's an issue of something scanning incorrectly, then our advice to customers is always let the team know so it can be rectified.’

'Also, our 100-tablet box of Strike dishwashing tablets at $12.80 is excellent value, working out to be less than 13 cents a tablet.'

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper went to Woolworths for only a few items but was shocked by the bill that came to just shy of $90.
  • The most expensive item was a pack of dishwashing tablets that were advertised as on sale in the store, but the shopper later discovered the actual price of the item online.
  • The shopper accused Woolworths of ‘daylight robbery' for the excessive prices on essential groceries.
  • Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies and suggested its own brand of dishwashing tablets at $12.80, which works out to be less than 13 cents per tablet.

Members, this story does raise an important point about the need to shop around for the best deals and compare prices, especially when it comes to those extra items like dishwashing tablets that may cost more than you think.

Alternatively, you might consider switching to a less expensive brand if your go-to brand’s price exceeds your budget.

Be sure to dedicate some time to research and read reviews to make sure that the alternative you’re purchasing is worth the money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Have you ever experienced a similar situation at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments!

Sponsored
This woman's comments inflamed me !!!!!!!! she should try living on a PENSION !!!!!!!!!
I pay 78% of my income for accommodation (Finacial institutions state we should NEVER pay more than 30% of our income to be able to "just survive" financially)!!!!!!!!

Dishwasher tablet NOT ESSENTIAL use granular dishwasher "powder" or even just regular bulk salt.
PORK & CHIVE DUMPLINGS NOT ESSENTIAL
"V" Drink NOT EVEN REMOTELY ESSENTIAL -------- TRYING DRINKING JUST WATER, cheap, & better for your body & teeth !!!!!!!!!!!!

Terri
Wildlife Rescue and Care

its one of the reasons why I mainly shop online now as I don't get distracted from stuff I didn't need that week. Plus, I can keep an eye what the total cost is before I pay. I now only get what I call my daily fresh stuff at the shops now ( what I need fresh that day in veg or bread ). I now have a better control of my budget.

Woolworths has been taking advantage of customers for quite some time now. Since COVID hit a lot of products that used to bein their catalogues for half price have now either been taken off the specials list altogether OR have been cut back to e.g. 20% off the RRP.
Staple items like toilet rolls or frozen pies are no longer advertised at half price. Cooking oil has doubled in price and no, it can't be because of the war in Ukraine as ALL oils have doubled. Ukraine doesn't supply all oils to the world. The cost of common oils has doubled over the past couple of years resulting in half price going from $9 to $18. SERIOUSLY..... $36 normal RRP for cooking oil!

I particularly note that most of the specials nowadays are on discretionary items or are those which had little or no place in supermarkets, in the past. Woolworths has decided to move into the general goods market in a big way. I don't want to buy these items from them, I simply want basic supermarket items at fair prices.
I also note that the promotional strategy the big two supermarkets have adopted is this lesser discount approach to pricing. As a point of difference, if I were Coles I would revert to the old model and watch the profits soar as customers register their disapproval of Woolies pricing with their feet.

The public demand for compensation from the federal government in response to the current increases in supermarkets is unrealistic. This radical change in pricing is not driven by the government and any attempt at recompense will only further drive up the huge debt incurred by the former government.
It is the supermarkets themselves that are changing tack, to generate more, a lot more, profit.

As a pensioner, I will be cutting back on unnecessary purchases which, if other customers follow suit, will lead to some manufacturers or wholesalers closing down. I regret this very much but, for me, the ability to purchase basic items far outweighs discretionary spending.

Regarding refunds, they were stopped altogether during the pandemic. However, now that the mad panic buying is over, Woolworths will now only let you return a product if you replace it with another "similar" item. Coles on the other hand will let you return a product for a full refund when you show your receipt. I know where I will be doing most of my shopping in future and it won't be Woolworths.
Stores are not required to refund for change of mind returns. If there is a fault I have never had a problem with either refunding or exchanging. The onus is on you to check the prices & if there is a discrepancy, bring it to the staff attention straight away.