Shocking ALDI cheese discovery ‘disgusts’ shopper: ‘Not okay!’

When it comes to grocery shopping, we all want to get our money's worth.

But what happens when the product you buy weighs less than what's advertised on the packaging?

This is the alarming discovery one ALDI shopper made recently, sparking an urgent warning to all customers.

The incident unfolded when a mum purchased a 500g block of Westacre Dairy Vintage Cheese from ALDI, only to find out that it weighed significantly less than it should.

The shopper took to social media to share her experience, posting an image of the cheese block on her home scales, which showed it weighed only 410g—a whopping 90g less than its advertised weight.

'Has anyone else experienced this with ALDI cheese?' the shopper wrote in her post.

'It’s meant to be 500g (e) but it’s only 410g. Almost a fifth is “missing”, which seems excessive to me.'

Screenshot 2024-01-24 092418.png
An ALDI shopper was ‘disgusted’ when she verified her 500g cheese purchase only weighed 410g. Image: Facebook/ALDI Mums group

It is understood that the 'e' symbol on the product’s packaging—found next to the weight—indicated that the weight is an 'estimate'.

However, this symbol allows for only a small amount of shortfall in an item’s weight, and any significant deviation could lead to severe consequences under government regulations.

To prove her point, the mum also shared an image of another 500g item weighed on the same kitchen scales, showing no discrepancy, thereby ruling out the possibility of faulty scales.

The customer further noted that the block of cheese was 'notably smaller'.

'I know “e” meant the weight was just an estimate, I’m just surprised it’s close to 20 per cent under the estimated weight when it’s not meant to be more than a few percentage under,' she added.

‘My scales might not be as accurate as a digital one, but it’s definitely smaller than it should be. It looks notably smaller. It’s my fault for letting my five-year-old choose the cheese and me not double-checking his choice!’

The revelation sparked outrage among some ALDI fans with one saying: 'Maybe we should “estimate” the amount we pay them for our groceries. Disgusting!'

Another wrote: 'That's terrible when you’re thinking you’re paying for 500g and get 20 per cent less.'

Other commenters said changes from one block of cheese to another, raising suspicion.

‘The cheese I bought this week had loose packaging, which is unusual,’ one responded. ‘Now I’m wondering if it was actually smaller—I’ll weigh it next time too.’

ALDI has encouraged customers to share feedback directly via its help centre, so that any issues can be investigated.

Customers are also welcome to return any product they are not satisfied with for a full refund or replacement.

Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI customer was shocked to discover that a 500g block of Westacre Dairy Vintage Cheese weighed only 410g.
  • The shopper highlighted that her cheese was nearly 20 per cent underweight despite the 'e' estimate symbol, which allows for only minor weight variances.
  • Social media users expressed concern and urged others to weigh their purchases, some suggesting the notion of paying an 'estimated' amount in protest.
  • ALDI encourages customers to provide feedback on products and offers full refunds or replacements for any unsatisfactory items.

Have you ever experienced a similar issue with a product's weight? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored

But what happens when the product you buy weighs less than what's advertised on the packaging?

This is the alarming discovery one ALDI shopper made recently, sparking an urgent warning to all customers.

The incident unfolded when a mum purchased a 500g block of Westacre Dairy Vintage Cheese from ALDI, only to find out that it weighed significantly less than it should.

The shopper took to social media to share her experience, posting an image of the cheese block on her home scales, which showed it weighed only 410g—a whopping 90g less than its advertised weight.

'Has anyone else experienced this with ALDI cheese?' the shopper wrote in her post.

'It’s meant to be 500g (e) but it’s only 410g. Almost a fifth is “missing”, which seems excessive to me.'

View attachment 39851
An ALDI shopper was ‘disgusted’ when she verified her 500g cheese purchase only weighed 410g. Image: Facebook/ALDI Mums group

It is understood that the 'e' symbol on the product’s packaging—found next to the weight—indicated that the weight is an 'estimate'.

However, this symbol allows for only a small amount of shortfall in an item’s weight, and any significant deviation could lead to severe consequences under government regulations.

To prove her point, the mum also shared an image of another 500g item weighed on the same kitchen scales, showing no discrepancy, thereby ruling out the possibility of faulty scales.

'I know “e” meant the weight was just an estimate, I’m just surprised it’s close to 20 per cent under the estimated weight when it’s not meant to be more than a few percentage under,' she added.

‘My scales might not be as accurate as a digital one, but it’s definitely smaller than it should be. It looks notably smaller. It’s my fault for letting my five-year-old choose the cheese and me not double-checking his choice!’

The revelation sparked outrage among some ALDI fans with one saying: 'Maybe we should “estimate” the amount we pay them for our groceries. Disgusting!'

Another wrote: 'That's terrible when you’re thinking you’re paying for 500g and get 20 per cent less.'

Other commenters said changes from one block of cheese to another, raising suspicion.

‘The cheese I bought this week had loose packaging, which is unusual,’ one responded. ‘Now I’m wondering if it was actually smaller—I’ll weigh it next time too.’

ALDI has encouraged customers to share feedback directly via its help centre, so that any issues can be investigated.

Customers are also welcome to return any product they are not satisfied with for a full refund or replacement.

Key Takeaways

• An ALDI customer was shocked to discover that a 500g block of Westacre Dairy Vintage Cheese weighed only 410g.
  • The shopper highlighted that her cheese was nearly 20 per cent underweight despite the 'e' estimate symbol, which allows for only minor weight variances.
  • Social media users expressed concern and urged others to weigh their purchases, some suggesting the notion of paying an 'estimated' amount in protest.
  • ALDI encourages customers to provide feedback on products and offers full refunds or replacements for any unsatisfactory items.

Have you ever experienced a similar issue with a product's weight? Share your experiences in the comments below.
I would have thought that the issue has been resolved, yes it was underweight, go to Woolworths and weigh their bagged Salads you will be shocked. And it's an on going issue that they sayis being treated as a one of.

View attachment 39851

Key Takeaways

Look at Supermarket Meats, most contain so much Water especially Mince and Whole Chickens for Roasting ,unlike Meat from the local Butcher

View attachment 39851

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately it happens with many products across all supermarkets, not just Aldi cheese.

View attachment 39851

Key Takeaways

The weight disgusts shoppers really.🙀Another disappointing story Looking at the header I was looking forward to reading about a dead 🐀again or even a used condom in the food. 🤣🤣what a let down.🤣

I'll start weighing everything and they can expect a visit from for a refund,,, even 5gm

Look at Supermarket Meats, most contain so much Water especially Mince and Whole Chickens for Roasting ,unlike Meat from the local Butcher
That's why I go to my local butcher and buy by piece, not in a package.
If I want 300 g of mince, that's what they give me.
If I want 2 lamb cutlets, that's what I get.
I pay for what I want.
Not all Supermarket packages are bad, but you need to think about you really want and whether you really need it covered in plastic.

View attachment 39851

Key Takeaways

Loose Packaging means the vacuum seal is broken and therefore the cheese could be contaminated.. Leave it on the shelf

bullshit I find plenty in Victoria Point that are fine
Well, your brain must be full of BS.... The 1kg cheese is loosely packed unlike it was originally before they did away with it and replaced it with Westacer.......

What a wanker .. you go ahead and believe what ever you want, you are not with me when I buy my cheese so how the fuck would you know what it is like when
I get it

Reactions: Littleboy8
What a wanker .. you go ahead and believe what ever you want, you are not with me when I buy my cheese so how the fuck would you know what it is like when
I get it
Oh no you said the “f” word watch out for the swear 👮‍♀️ lady.🤣

Reactions: IAN3005
It seems a hassle to have to weigh things after you've shopped and lugged them home (I'm talking as an in-store customer).

But if that's what it's come to, then that's fine and underweight things will be returned.

A second hassle 😵‍💫.