'That threw me off!': Expat lists down 'side-splitting' list of Aussie oddities

As Australians, we're known for our laid-back nature, love for a good 'cuppa', and our unique way of shortening almost every word we can.

Our ways can be a source of endless amusement and, sometimes, downright confusion for our overseas friends.

One woman shared some Aussie quirks that left her and the internet in stitches as she navigated the cultural maze of life Down Under.

An expat named Dev took to social media to share her bewilderment over the linguistic twists and turns she had encountered since arriving in Australia.

Dev had to change her name from Devyn, as her legal name sounded like 'Devon'—a term Aussies use for a type of deli meat.

Dev has been scratching her head as she remains culture-shocked by the differences between the US and Australia.

photo1 (1).jpg
Dev shared her musings about Australia in a two-part video. Image Credit: TikTok/Dev

Bell peppers? In Australia, they're capsicums. 'Sorry if I'm saying that wrong,' Dev added as she struggled to pronounce the word.

'Arugula is called a rocket, so that threw me off. Cilantro is coriander, which I knew about that one, but rocket?"' she asked.

She then moved on to Aussie vocabulary, drawing the 22-year-old's amusement.

'It makes me laugh so hard. It's not over-dramatised. The word "c***" is used quite loosely,' she went on.

'Flip flops and sandals are called thongs in Australia. I feel like a thong is something that goes up your butt crack, but that's just me,' she jokingly added as she called herself a 'cheeseburger American'.

Dev's observations extend beyond vocabulary.

She noted the Aussie habit of asking 'Are you okay?' as a casual greeting, similar to British people's 'How are you doing?'.

Dev also praised the Australian coffee culture, which surpassed the coffee she used to drink at home.

As Aussies take pride in their love for coffee, she mentioned that a trip to a local coffee shop became a highlight of her day.

She also found amusement in the Australian tendency to abbreviate words.

'Brekkie' for breakfast and 'Macca's' for McDonald's are examples of how Aussies love to keep things short and sweet.

Aussies lent a hand to the newcomer and swarmed Dev's comments section with tips and cultural insights.

'Capsicum is pronounced like "Kapp-Sii-Come",' one comment read.

Others talked about the origins of the phrase 'Are you okay?' and pointed out that 'You alright?' also came from British origins.

There was a discussion about the Aussie pronunciation of 'herb'—which includes the 'h' sound.

Watch the first part of Dev’s video here:

Source: @dhalesss/TikTok

Dev's experiences highlighted the quirks of Australian English—making it a joy for linguists and a puzzle for visitors.

Language is as much about culture and community as it is about communication.

As we've seen language evolve over the decades, it's a delightful nod to the ever-changing tapestry of Australian culture.
Key Takeaways

• An expat named Dev shared her confusion over Australian colloquialisms and word usage on social media.
  • She noted the different terms Australians use for certain foods, such as capsicums for bell peppers and coriander for cilantro.
  • The expat was also amused by Australian slang and the habit of shortening words.
  • Dev also pointed out the impressive coffee culture of Australia and called it a highlight of her day.
  • Aussies helped Dev with pronunciation and offered advice to the newcomer.
What do you think of Dev's list of Aussie oddities? Have you had similar experiences when travelling abroad, or perhaps when friends or family from overseas visited? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored