SueCM

Jan 12, 2024
Service NSW will not provide phone support to the elderly-

Service NSW is certainly a misnomer. A 92-year-old person of non-English speaking background who has no family in Australia and lives in Avalon, recently tried to apply for the $200 electricity rebate to which she is entitled as a self-funded retiree.
She does not have a smart phone and she does not use the internet. She has health issues and so does not leave her apartment except for medical emergencies.
She rang Service NSW to apply for the rebate. She was told that Service NSW (badly named) has stopped providing this service over the phone.
They told her to go online or go to a NSW Service centre. She was told that there was no application form that they could send her to complete and return.
They said if she was not prepared to go online or go to a NSW Service Centre, she could not have the rebate.
Surely, she is not the only person in this position. There must be others who may live too far from a Service NSW Centre and who either do not have internet access or lack the skills to use it.
I consider this to be appalling and discriminatory against elderly people who are not tech savvy and/or have mobility issues.
Management of Service NSW and Minister Jihab Dib show an appalling indifference to the needs of elderly Australians. I have contacted Premier Minns, Minister Dib and Minister for Seniors, Harrison. No response so far. Obviously, they all assume that this is a problem that will die out!!!

This is very typical of a non caring government. Cutting costs to raise public service wages (no service), fake promises by federal labor government, lies and lies and lies. Why does everything have to be done online? Older people may not be able to afford internet or even have it. What will happen to older people livng in units when finally all the coal powered electrical stations are closed and there will not be enough electricity for all. This is all the result of the gross mismanagent of a government which does not care at all, other than than to keep increasing cost of living, higher petrol taxes, etc Mind you all the public servants from PM down are not only overpaid on non service but own many, many houses. Is this the type of Govt you like to lead Australians into poverty?

You can apply for all rebates through the NSW service app. Service NSW is seperate to centrelink.

Ok she has no relatives but wouldn't she at least have a close friend that can help. Or at 92 wouldn't she have home help

Also her electricity company should be able to apply most rebates . It states on Service NSW website to either apply through them or contact your electricity company

This poor lady needs help and there should be some services through her local member that can help her with getting them. The energy rebate is for low income earners like people on the age pension or benefits but she is self funded so I don't know if she would qualify. I don't know all the rules but a call to her aged care services would definitely help with the application.

Reactions: Gsr, Ezzy and Liz
This lady needs help not some stupid app, Not everyone uses apps for everything. I certainly do not for health reasons. Plus scammers are extra good with apps. Service NSW is very unhelpful on the phone if they do not hang up onto you. Their website is user UNFRIENDLY too. Just like verything is going from bad to worse
Suzanne, many elderly people do not have their Kids to help out at all for many reasons, asking "friends" to help may cost a lot of money too. Feeling helpless in a technological world is bad for many older people. Children are brought up on apps why? Home help? If she is able and does not want home help or cannot afford it what happens? Govt does not care!!
You can apply for all rebates through the NSW service app. Service NSW is seperate to centrelink.

Ok she has no relatives but wouldn't she at least have a close friend that can help. Or at 92 wouldn't she have home help

Also her electricity company should be able to apply most rebates . It states on Service NSW website to either apply through them or contact your electricity company

Reactions: maherdj and Liz
This poor lady needs help and there should be some services through her local member that can help her with getting them. The energy rebate is for low income earners like people on the age pension or benefits but she is self funded so I don't know if she would qualify. I don't know all the rules but a call to her aged care services would definitely help with the application.
I don't know why something like you stated hasn't already happened

Reactions: Ezzy and Ashmenou
This lady needs help not some stupid app, Not everyone uses apps for everything. I certainly do not for health reasons. Plus scammers are extra good with apps. Service NSW is very unhelpful on the phone if they do not hang up onto you. Their website is user UNFRIENDLY too. Just like verything is going from bad to worse
Suzanne, many elderly people do not have their Kids to help out at all for many reasons, asking "friends" to help may cost a lot of money too. Feeling helpless in a technological world is bad for many older people. Children are brought up on apps why? Home help? If she is able and does not want home help or cannot afford it what happens? Govt does not care!!
I'm wondering then if she cant use apps or has no one who can help her with this simple task how did she manage to actually get this story out 🤔 I'm sure the person who got the message out to the public could have done a more easier task as going to service nsw website and apply for her or even call her energy provider

This is very typical of a non caring government. Cutting costs to raise public service wages (no service), fake promises by federal labor government, lies and lies and lies. Why does everything have to be done online? Older people may not be able to afford internet or even have it. What will happen to older people livng in units when finally all the coal powered electrical stations are closed and there will not be enough electricity for all. This is all the result of the gross mismanagent of a government which does not care at all, other than than to keep increasing cost of living, higher petrol taxes, etc Mind you all the public servants from PM down are not only overpaid on non service but own many, many houses. Is this the type of Govt you like to lead Australians into poverty

The Liberal federal government slashed the public service numbers, including to Centrelink. Lack of service quickly follows when there are not enough staff to deal with what is an increasing workload. Labor is training staff now to start filling the gaping hole left by the Liberals. And the statement that ALL the federal politicians “ own many many houses” is not supported by this graph.1709933453590.png

Surely this elderly lady has a friend who speaks her language. This person could assist her to fill out the relevant forms. Immigrants have friends from their non english country, as well as their country's group society. This isn't an uncommon situation in Australia.

There is a rebate for self funded.

I'm wondering then if she cant use apps or has no one who can help her with this simple task how did she manage to actually get this story out 🤔 I'm sure the person who got the message out to the public could have done a more easier task as going to service nsw website and apply for her or even call her energy provider
Agree! If her story is out there then someone has done it for her and could have helped her.

Surely this elderly lady has a friend who speaks her language. This person could assist her to fill out the relevant forms. Immigrants have friends from their non english country, as well as their country's group society. This isn't an uncommon situation in Australia.
She is 94 and has probably outlived her friends who passed away from no understand apps syndrome.

Reactions: maherdj and MIZMAC
Last week I was having some scans performed on my broken leg metal inserts. It was quite a long session and I had to wait for about 25 mins for my appointment to begin. No issues there, During the waiting time I decided to get onto my Centrlink app to check on a few things. Lo and behold I got a large message accross the creen that my account had been terminated. It came as a shock as I have never done anything that could be construed as even controversial in the lowest sense. So. I thought I must ring them. The Centrelink offices were just about 150 meters up street from where I was waiting for my appointment but not wanting to miss my treatment I called. I was sent through a number of questions and refered to a sequence of different telephone numbers that I could call which was totally confusing. I rang back using the seniors line and surprisingly was given similar treatment. After about 20 mins I was told that the waiting time would be 68 minutes! Ridiculous I thought. I checked the app again and got the Account Closed warning again. After my appointment about 2 hours later I decided to go the the Centerlink offices but unfortunately they had closed for the day. After arriving home I checked the app again and found that it was working fine. This is why many people, not just pensioners do not trust these apps.