Mum reveals how she feeds family of 6 for $1.66 per meal: ‘I couldn’t believe it’

When the cost of living seems perpetually on the rise, finding ways to stretch the household budget without compromising nutrition or taste can feel daunting.

However, one thrifty mum-of-two, Cassidy Parer, has cracked the code to feeding her family of six, including four adults, for a mere $1.66 per serve.

Her approach to grocery shopping is not just inspiring but also a testament to the power of strategic planning and smart shopping.

Cassidy's journey to frugality began with a startling realisation at the checkout of her local supermarket.

A modest haul of milk, strawberries, bread, and snacks came to a whopping $70, leaving her stunned and determined to overhaul her shopping habits.

‘I couldn’t believe it,’ she said. ‘It wasn’t even a full bag of shopping.’

photo (1).jpg
Cassidy shared her tip on how to save money on groceries. Credit: @cassidyyparer / TikTok

The result? ‘I now exclusively shop at ALDI. It’s been 12 months, and I can’t even tell you how much I have saved,’ she shared.

She said her average weekly grocery shop is now at $150.

The secret to Cassidy's success lied in a meticulous and disciplined approach to shopping.

‘I write a list and am in and out of the store in 20 minutes,’ she said.

Every Monday, with the kids at school, she dedicates half an hour to meal planning for the week.

‘I can’t take my kids,’ she laughed.

‘They are too distracting and ask for chocolate biscuits or a lollipop when I know we need to stick to the list.’

She would then turn to social media for budget-friendly recipes, often targeting meals under $10 a serve, and relies on tried-and-true family favourites like spaghetti bolognese, butter chicken, and homemade pizzas.

Armed with a meal plan, Cassidy writes out a detailed shopping list, including staples and lunchbox fillers.

‘Take spaghetti for example. You see people adding the pasta, meat and sauce, and that’s it,’ Cassidy said.

‘You can add one carrot, a zucchini, tin tomatoes and kidney beans.’

‘You have all of those extra nutrients for a few dollars more, and it triples the amount of food, which is where we have leftovers.’

Cassidy's shopping list was more than just a list; it's a strategic map of her local ALDI store, organised by aisle to prevent backtracking and the temptation of impulse buys.

She would skip aisles that don't contain items on her list, and when it comes to selecting brands, she's all about the unit price, ignoring specials in favour of the cheapest option per weight or volume.

‘I buy the cheapest of everything,’ she said.

‘I look at the price tag and the dollar amount per 100 grams, per kilogram or per litre. Just because something is on special, doesn’t make it cheaper than another full-priced item.’

Even with a busy schedule, Cassidy tried to make snacks like muffins for her kids' lunchboxes, but she's still in reach for pre-packaged options when time is tight.

‘Like yoghurt. You can buy the individual pouches for a dollar on special or a huge tub for $4,’ she explained.

‘You get so many more serves out of the tub.’

Cassidy's discipline extends to avoiding the ALDI 'Special Buy' section.

‘There is no browsing, no up and down (the aisles),’ she declared.

‘I am in and out in 20 minutes with a full trolley.’

When the cashier finished scanning all of her items, it was not common for the total to be more than $150, as Cassidy usually spends about $130 on her regular shopping trips.

‘Honestly, I wish I converted to ALDI a long time ago,’ she said.

‘Sometimes I do have to pop into Coles or Woolworths to buy an item ALDI doesn’t have, but it’s not often.’

While ALDI has become her go-to for most items, Cassidy still finds that her local fruit and veg shop offers better deals on produce.

She tries to shop there when possible, reducing her weekly food expenses.

You can watch Cassidy’s video below:

Credit: @cassidyyparer / TikTok

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane mum adjusted her grocery shopping habits and now shops exclusively at ALDI, saving a significant amount of money on her family's weekly groceries.
  • By planning meals, making a precise shopping list, and sticking to it, she feeds her family of six for about $1.66 per serve, with her average weekly shopping being around $150.
  • The mother buys the cheapest items based on the price per unit, avoids impulse purchases, and steers clear of the ALDI 'Special Buy' section to stay within budget.
  • She also supplements her shopping with visits to her local fruit and veg store, finding it cheaper than supermarkets, and shares her budget-saving tips on social media.
Have you found a particular store that offers the best deals, or do you have a go-to recipe that's both cost-effective and delicious? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored