Scam Alert: Sneaky scammers on Facebook Marketplace are stealing money using PayID

Facebook Marketplace is a convenient platform for unloading items you no longer need or want. However, it has also become a hotbed for scams, with many unscrupulous users looking to swindle money from unsuspecting sellers. These don’t always involve unrealistic offers, which is why it’s important to be vigilant when dealing with strangers online.

One Redditor noticed they were receiving similar messages from potential buyers on the platform. The users wanted to pay through PayID and said they couldn’t meet up, but a ‘nephew’ would pick up the item. The Redditor quickly realised these were scams.

397gwjds0kca1.png
The author received nearly identical messages from two separate buyers. Credit: Reddit/verytroo

The post prompted other Redditors to share their own experiences.

A top comment said: ‘I’m currently selling heaps on FB [Facebook] because I’m moving. I’ve found putting ‘cash only’ in the description does help to reduce the number of people sending these messages. They’re quite easy to detect in how they talk.’

Another commented: ‘I get these a lot on FB Marketplace. One thing they love doing is spending a lot of time asking questions. You got to cut them off in the beginning and ask, “Are you going to pay in cash?” They usually don't respond after that.’

A third chimed in: ‘My MIL got scammed using this on FB Marketplace and almost again through Gumtree.’

Many were unfamiliar with the scam and wanted to know how it worked. A comment said: ‘For those wondering how it plays out – they ask for your phone number or email and then send you a text or email containing something along the lines of your PayID is not working for X reason, to receive the money, press here to fix. Essentially, it is a phishing exercise. You never receive the money.’

PayID, which has been around since 2018, is an instant payment infrastructure that promises fast and secure transactions. You can sign up with a mobile number, email address, ABN, or Organisation Identifier, and then you’re set to receive payments directly to your bank account.

Meanwhile, phishing refers to the deceitful practice of pretending to be from a legitimate business and sending urgent messages to users to gain their personal information. It can be done through email, text messages, and phone calls. You can find more information about phishing on Scamwatch.

There are variations on this scam but the suspicious interactions share a few key elements:
  • The buyer will insist on using PayID.
  • The buyer will have an excuse not to meet but say that someone close or related to them will retrieve the item.
  • The buyer will say that they have a PayID business account – this is currently not offered by the platform.
Occasionally, sellers would also get a fake invoice as proof that the buyer sent money. However, the messages would be from a free email service such as Gmail or Yahoo – a glaring sign that these are not genuine.

A Redditor warned others using the service: ‘PayID will never email you when purchasing, just like Visa or Mastercard. Instead, it should be the bank or finance company.’

PayID also issued a warning on its website: ’PayIDs are managed by your bank, and PayID would never contact you directly. If you have concerns, please contact your bank.’

Many urged checking Facebook profiles before transacting with a buyer. A user said: ‘Always check their Facebook profile. They are using hacked or fake Facebook profiles. Check their location and recent posts to ensure they are not scammers.’

However, the original poster claimed they had done their due diligence: ‘Yep, I looked up “Carla” and others... they are all legit profiles of real people being misused by scammers, just with their profile pictures.’

Others shared how they noticed dead giveaways that they were interacting with fraudsters. A Redditor wrote: ‘The biggest red flag for me when I got this was how few people are close enough with their nephews to have them do odd jobs for them.’

Another said: ‘Working out of town’ – definitely not Australian speak.’

Someone else commented: ‘I got one of these recently. Their message said they would pay “with Cashapp or Velle” then just followed it up with ‘I mean PayID’.’

A fourth shared: ‘I received the exact same message from “Carla” a few days ago. I’ve never sold stuff online before, and her message seemed very off!’

Australian Payments Plus, the organisation behind PayID, insists that PayID ‘remains a safe way for customers to receive money’. Speaking with SBS, a spokesperson acknowledged the rising cases of fraudulent behaviour and urged customers to be more vigilant of potential scams.

‘Protecting customers against scams requires a collective effort, and Australian Payments Plus continues to work closely with the banks, the broader financial services industry, and regulators to combat this issue. In this case, Australian Payments Plus is also taking specific action to get fraudulent email addresses claiming to be from PayID closed,’ the spokesperson added.

If you have been tricked into sending money through this scam, you can report it to Scamwatch here. ACCC also recommends contacting your financial institution and the selling platform involved and informing friends and family for support.

Have you encountered any suspicious messages from buyers on Facebook Marketplace? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Sadly I was sucked in by the FB Market place scammers. It seemed genuine initially - just a matter of setting up a Pay ID for payment to occur. Unfortunately it went downhill after I sent them money supposedly required to top up the account with as it “became” a business account. Then they wanted me to send more money to them to top it up some more. Screen shots were sent to me, the scammer even called me several times to make sure I was doing what he told me to do. That’s when I called my bank and the realisation that I had been scammed. I felt sick. Bank wasn’t very confident about getting my money back 😢. This will be a hard lesson learned…

Facebook Marketplace is a convenient platform for unloading items you no longer need or want. However, it has also become a hotbed for scams, with many unscrupulous users looking to swindle money from unsuspecting sellers. These don’t always involve unrealistic offers, which is why it’s important to be vigilant when dealing with strangers online.

One Redditor noticed they were receiving similar messages from potential buyers on the platform. The users wanted to pay through PayID and said they couldn’t meet up, but a ‘nephew’ would pick up the item. The Redditor quickly realised these were scams.

View attachment 12289
The author received nearly identical messages from two separate buyers. Credit: Reddit/verytroo

A top comment said: ‘I’m currently selling heaps on FB [Facebook] because I’m moving. I’ve found putting ‘cash only’ in the description does help to reduce the number of people sending these messages. They’re quite easy to detect in how they talk.’

Another commented: ‘I get these a lot on FB Marketplace. One thing they love doing is spending a lot of time asking questions. You got to cut them off in the beginning and ask, “Are you going to pay in cash?” They usually don't respond after that.’

A third chimed in: ‘My MIL got scammed using this on FB Marketplace and almost again through Gumtree.’

Many were unfamiliar with the scam and wanted to know how it worked. A comment said: ‘For those wondering how it plays out – they ask for your phone number or email and then send you a text or email containing something along the lines of your PayID is not working for X reason, to receive the money, press here to fix. Essentially, it is a phishing exercise. You never receive the money.’

PayID, which has been around since 2018, is an instant payment infrastructure that promises fast and secure transactions. You can sign up with a mobile number, email address, ABN, or Organisation Identifier, and then you’re set to receive payments directly to your bank account.

Meanwhile, phishing refers to the deceitful practice of pretending to be from a legitimate business and sending urgent messages to users to gain their personal information. It can be done through email, text messages, and phone calls. You can find more information about phishing on Scamwatch.

There are variations on this scam but the suspicious interactions share a few key elements:
  • The buyer will have an excuse not to meet but say that someone close or related to them will retrieve the item.
  • The buyer will say that they have a PayID business account – this is currently not offered by the platform.
Occasionally, sellers would also get a fake invoice as proof that the buyer sent money. However, the messages would be from a free email service such as Gmail or Yahoo – a glaring sign that these are not genuine.

A Redditor warned others using the service: ‘PayID will never email you when purchasing, just like Visa or Mastercard. Instead, it should be the bank or finance company.’

PayID also issued a warning on its website: ’PayIDs are managed by your bank, and PayID would never contact you directly. If you have concerns, please contact your bank.’

Many urged checking Facebook profiles before transacting with a buyer. A user said: ‘Always check their Facebook profile. They are using hacked or fake Facebook profiles. Check their location and recent posts to ensure they are not scammers.’

However, the original poster claimed they had done their due diligence: ‘Yep, I looked up “Carla” and others... they are all legit profiles of real people being misused by scammers, just with their profile pictures.’

Others shared how they noticed dead giveaways that they were interacting with fraudsters. A Redditor wrote: ‘The biggest red flag for me when I got this was how few people are close enough with their nephews to have them do odd jobs for them.’

Someone else commented: ‘I got one of these recently. Their message said they would pay “with Cashapp or Velle” then just followed it up with ‘I mean PayID’.’

A fourth shared: ‘I received the exact same message from “Carla” a few days ago. I’ve never sold stuff online before, and her message seemed very off!’

Australian Payments Plus, the organisation behind PayID, insists that PayID ‘remains a safe way for customers to receive money’. Speaking with SBS, a spokesperson acknowledged the rising cases of fraudulent behaviour and urged customers to be more vigilant of potential scams.

‘Protecting customers against scams requires a collective effort, and Australian Payments Plus continues to work closely with the banks, the broader financial services industry, and regulators to combat this issue. In this case, Australian Payments Plus is also taking specific action to get fraudulent email addresses claiming to be from PayID closed,’ the spokesperson added.

If you have been tricked into sending money through this scam, you can report it to Scamwatch here. ACCC also recommends contacting your financial institution and the selling platform involved and informing friends and family for support.

Have you encountered any suspicious messages from buyers on Facebook Marketplace? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
I have noticed that these messages have a double photo in the heading, and just ignore them.

Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 12289

I wrote to Seniors’ Discount Club more than a month ago warning members about this scam. It happened to my husband three times in the space of a week. On the first occasion, he contacted the CBA Bank, because they asked him to pay with PayID. Being unfamiliar with this, he wanted assurance from the bank that it was legitimate. The lady he spoke to at the CBA described the scam to him. However, despite the fact that he made clear that he was awake to the scam, they continued to try their luck.

The best way to avoid these pests is to put ‘cash on pickup’ in the ad.