Safety concerns for Aussie tourists in France amid Olympic festivities: Disturbing attacks raise alarms

Content warning: This article contains descriptions of violent attacks and sexual assault that may be distressing to some. Reader discretion is advised.

The excitement of the Olympics is often accompanied by a sense of camaraderie and international unity, but recent events in France have cast a shadow over the festivities, raising concerns about the safety of tourists flocking to the country for the games.

In a disturbing series of events, two Australian tourists were subjected to a harrowing incident shortly after the world turned its eyes to the Olympic Games.

This alarming event follows another distressing case involving an Australian woman in Paris, highlighting concerns about the safety of travellers in the region.

The police are investigating the incident near the bustling Saint-Charles station in Marseille—a hub for travellers that should have been a safe passage for Australian tourists.

Instead, a couple of Australians were confronted by two assailants who resorted to physical violence, with one being punched in the stomach before the thieves made off with their luggage.

The stolen items included a Rolex watch, a drone, two laptops, a phone, two cameras, a tablet, luxury leather goods, €200 ($330) in cash, and several bank cards.

compressed-shutterstock_2340315869.jpeg
Two Australian tourists were attacked near Saint-Charles station in Marseille, where one was punched and their luggage stolen. Credit: Shutterstock

This attack comes on the heels of an even more harrowing incident in Paris, where an Australian woman was gang-raped in the Pigalle district, known for its nightlife and the iconic Moulin Rouge cabaret.

The woman had been enjoying the local bars and clubs before being preyed upon by a group of five men ‘of African appearance’.

The assault took place at 5:00 AM on Saturday, July 27, leaving the victim to seek refuge in a nearby Dounia kebab shop, visibly distressed and desperate for help.

The kebab shop's CCTV footage captured the chilling aftermath of the attack, showing the woman, ‘her dress inside out’, seeking solace among the staff and patrons who attempted to comfort her.

The audacity of one of the alleged rapists, who entered the shop and even patted the victim on the back before ordering food, is a stark reminder of the brazen nature of such crimes.

A diner then confronted the alleged attacker, taking a swing as staff intervened to separate them. The man subsequently exited the restaurant.

Staff and patrons, including several men and a blonde woman in a beige dress, comfort the woman until the police arrive.

Two officers were seen talking to her about the traumatic incident before she was taken to Bichat Hospital.

The woman also reported that her mobile phone had been stolen.

She was said to be ‘disoriented and unable to speak a word of French’ while recounting the incident to the police, reportedly unable to provide details on the exact location or circumstances of the attack.

In light of the recent incidents involving Australian tourists in France, where safety concerns have escalated following violent attacks, the Australian government has issued a stern warning to travellers.

These troubling events, including the assault on the Channel 9 Olympics broadcast team in Paris, underscore the importance of heightened vigilance and awareness for Australians abroad.
Key Takeaways
  • Two Australian tourists were attacked near Saint-Charles station in Marseille, France, with one being punched and their luggage stolen.
  • The stolen luggage contained valuable items, including a Rolex watch, a drone, laptops, cameras, and cash.
  • The attack occurred shortly after another Australian woman was gang raped in Paris's Pigalle district.
  • French authorities are investigating both incidents and CCTV footage captured the aftermath of the sexual assault in a Paris kebab shop.
We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our deepest sympathies to the victims of these crimes and hope for their full recovery.

Have you encountered any issues while travelling abroad? What precautions do you take to ensure your safety? We encourage our members to share their thoughts and experiences on travel safety in the comments below.

Sponsored
Don’t try to generalise about the origins of those who have committed, and still do, commit crimes here. EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY has that element whether they are born in the country or have emigrated to the country. If the perpetrator happens to be a migrant with no permanency here then it’s back to where you came from, buddy, never to be allowed back. If the perpetrator is an Australian born and bred then the law needs to come down hard. We need stronger laws and those that are in the judge’s seat need to have the guts to enforce those laws. Every offender needs to spend a reasonable number or days or weeks, or even months and years, (depending of offence severity) behind bars to understand the offence will not be tolerated here.

There is no such person as a true Australian - think about it - every one of us has some ‘mixed blood’ as the saying goes. Just because we are born here does not make us ‘true’ Australians. And not all offenders are of migrant backgrounds - some are the so-called Australian.

Parental control is where behaviours should start. And just by the way, as too many parents seem to think, it should not be up to teachers to teach behaviour control and respect for others, or governments should pay for damage to property, injury or death of another.

You are right however about the behaviour of criminals starting with correct behaviour and this should start from the day they can understand the word ‘NO’ - it actually boils down to how they are raised. None of this giving nonsense of parents giving in, although there is a limit to how much a child can get away with - parents need to refuse giving kids what they want all the time. And they need to be home for their children in their vulnerable years growing up.

I’m getting off my preaching box now.
Parental control does not exist in these one track minded morons. Generation after generation see violence as a part of every day living. Trouble is they drag it along with them when they emigrate to our rapidly decaying country.

By far the worst case of gang rape was committed by Bilal Skaf, his brothers and mates in Sydney back in about 2000.

Dirty low life Lebanese dogs. I have numerous run ins with these sub humans since the mid 1970s, including the wannabee tough jerks known as The Telopea Street Boys from Punchbowl. DEATH TO THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM. They are only tough when they attack in numbers, armed with guns and knives. And I have scars to prove it, over 35 years later.
I know them as well, as I said people like this need to be deported

I hope they caught the bastards, my solution for these minges? that rape in any form involves five twenty two bullets, one in each elbow and kneecap over a period of days with last in the lower gut? make it as painful as possible.
Nope they got away with it and one of them was my best friends brother, and everyone said they wouldn't do it. I met my husband two years later and him and his friends went after them . I won't say more

Nope they got away with it and one of them was my best friends brother, and everyone said they wouldn't do it. I met my husband two years later and him and his friends went after them . I won't say more
I can imagine clearly what happened. Did you say ages ago that the arsewipe who goes by the initials RM is still alive?

Revenge is sweet....delivered slowly and painfully,

I travelled to Paris back in 2015 and out of all the European cities we visited this was the one where we didn't feel as safe. There were scammers who got us at the train station with a bogus taxi and scammers at the Eiffel Tower with their trinkets and hawkers with their goods. Most unpleasant.
I agree. When I went to Paris 10 years ago we were warned not to wait outside for taxis as it wasn't safe. When we did find a taxi it was filthy inside and my daughter and I shut the door and walked home. I found many Parisians were unfriendly and dismissive in the so called city of love.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
GOOD, HE DID THE RIGHT THING AND I HOPE HE RECIPROCATED WITH THE ROUGH END OF A PINEAPPLE?

Certainly people have been gang raped, robbed beaten and murdered in Australia and we all know from whence this last lot have come from. Personally I think that if anyone is convicted of any major crime then not only do they lose their liberty but also their families are summarily deported. No doubt I'm going to be called out but I believe that how people are raised is how they act in future.
You hit the nail on the head,second generation, of people that have been raised with little or no discipline or respect for law. A pat on the wrist for breaking into homes and terrorism and stealing cars some that are from people with disabilities . Those that condone are just as 👎 bad.

By far the worst case of gang rape was committed by Bilal Skaf, his brothers and mates in Sydney back in about 2000.

Dirty low life Lebanese dogs. I have numerous run ins with these sub humans since the mid 1970s, including the wannabee tough jerks known as The Telopea Street Boys from Punchbowl. DEATH TO THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM. They are only tough when they attack in numbers, armed with guns and knives. And I have scars to prove it, over 35 years later.
as usual Veggie so very well put. Even though I worked with offenders of all sorts, I'm so sick of all the pussyfooting around. If you get a sentence it should be the end of it unless it's time ADDED.

Here's another take on this SURGING PROBLEM. How abt we all make a law, that anyone who comes to good old aussie & become citizens, &, any family member commits a crime has to be deported. This law to be enacted for the next 3 generations of that family, i.e.., being born here regardless. If they do a crime & convicted, back off to their motherland of their grt, grt, grt grandies.

North Korea has that law in practice. Children of their convicted parents are also incaserated for the wrong doings of their parents.

Another thing is, if we can't export 'em back to their country, they can't come here in the 1st place. No buggerising & pussyfooting around.

You hit the nail on the head,second generation, of people that have been raised with little or no discipline or respect for law. A pat on the wrist for breaking into homes and terrorism and stealing cars some that are from people with disabilities . Those that condone are just as 👎 bad.
If I was a prat when younger, my old man had wide leather razor strop, so you can imagine how robust it would have been ( I think I still have it Although I never use a cut throat anymore) however I digress depending on the severity it was bare arsed minimum three full strokes, with the ultimate consequence that mistake was never made again. There were others but that's another story. The old adage spare the rod and spare the child works believe.

And yet it was Lebanese boys who saved my daughter who was being attacked by drug affected Australians while working on a Sydney railway station.
I think there are good and bad in every race. I remember the Skaf brothers' case, they should have got the electric chair along with Anitta Coby's killers.

Too funny to read, " the Australian government has issued a stern warning to travellers" when indeed we need to issue a stern warning to the Australian government to start reporting the REAL news...worldwide. That would include true reporting of how the French have been rioting for over 6 months, the Dutch farmers protest (not to mention the other countries included), countries now REPORTING on COVID-19 vaccination side-effects and the thousands suing, the countless court cases regarding fines for 'failing to wear your mask' in Victoria that are now being thrown out of court. Shall I go on?
It is only then that travellers are TRULY informed about their proposed destination...

I have always said if someone from another country commits a hideous crime then they should be shipped straight back to their country of origin. Should be one strike and your out.
Yes I'm waiting on the backlash we will get.
But hey we are entitled to our honest opion
I fully agree with you Suzanne, I don't care what country they come from, if they commit a crime here send them back where they come from and never ever to return to Australia.