Safety concerns for Aussie tourists in France amid Olympic festivities: Disturbing attacks raise alarms

Content warning: This article contains descriptions of violent attacks and sexual assault that may be distressing to some. Reader discretion is advised.

The excitement of the Olympics is often accompanied by a sense of camaraderie and international unity, but recent events in France have cast a shadow over the festivities, raising concerns about the safety of tourists flocking to the country for the games.

In a disturbing series of events, two Australian tourists were subjected to a harrowing incident shortly after the world turned its eyes to the Olympic Games.

This alarming event follows another distressing case involving an Australian woman in Paris, highlighting concerns about the safety of travellers in the region.

The police are investigating the incident near the bustling Saint-Charles station in Marseille—a hub for travellers that should have been a safe passage for Australian tourists.

Instead, a couple of Australians were confronted by two assailants who resorted to physical violence, with one being punched in the stomach before the thieves made off with their luggage.

The stolen items included a Rolex watch, a drone, two laptops, a phone, two cameras, a tablet, luxury leather goods, €200 ($330) in cash, and several bank cards.

compressed-shutterstock_2340315869.jpeg
Two Australian tourists were attacked near Saint-Charles station in Marseille, where one was punched and their luggage stolen. Credit: Shutterstock

This attack comes on the heels of an even more harrowing incident in Paris, where an Australian woman was gang-raped in the Pigalle district, known for its nightlife and the iconic Moulin Rouge cabaret.

The woman had been enjoying the local bars and clubs before being preyed upon by a group of five men ‘of African appearance’.

The assault took place at 5:00 AM on Saturday, July 27, leaving the victim to seek refuge in a nearby Dounia kebab shop, visibly distressed and desperate for help.

The kebab shop's CCTV footage captured the chilling aftermath of the attack, showing the woman, ‘her dress inside out’, seeking solace among the staff and patrons who attempted to comfort her.

The audacity of one of the alleged rapists, who entered the shop and even patted the victim on the back before ordering food, is a stark reminder of the brazen nature of such crimes.

A diner then confronted the alleged attacker, taking a swing as staff intervened to separate them. The man subsequently exited the restaurant.

Staff and patrons, including several men and a blonde woman in a beige dress, comfort the woman until the police arrive.

Two officers were seen talking to her about the traumatic incident before she was taken to Bichat Hospital.

The woman also reported that her mobile phone had been stolen.

She was said to be ‘disoriented and unable to speak a word of French’ while recounting the incident to the police, reportedly unable to provide details on the exact location or circumstances of the attack.

In light of the recent incidents involving Australian tourists in France, where safety concerns have escalated following violent attacks, the Australian government has issued a stern warning to travellers.

These troubling events, including the assault on the Channel 9 Olympics broadcast team in Paris, underscore the importance of heightened vigilance and awareness for Australians abroad.
Key Takeaways
  • Two Australian tourists were attacked near Saint-Charles station in Marseille, France, with one being punched and their luggage stolen.
  • The stolen luggage contained valuable items, including a Rolex watch, a drone, laptops, cameras, and cash.
  • The attack occurred shortly after another Australian woman was gang raped in Paris's Pigalle district.
  • French authorities are investigating both incidents and CCTV footage captured the aftermath of the sexual assault in a Paris kebab shop.
We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our deepest sympathies to the victims of these crimes and hope for their full recovery.

Have you encountered any issues while travelling abroad? What precautions do you take to ensure your safety? We encourage our members to share their thoughts and experiences on travel safety in the comments below.

Sponsored
I will speak as I feel warranted. I have previously posted photos on SDC of scars from injuries I suffered at the hands of Lebanese heroin "kingpins" in the early 1990s. Stabbed, doused in petrol and set alight by at least four such "heroes". A 15 cm knife wound on the inside of my left forearm and a smaller wound to my neck, both arms severely burned which took eight months to completely heal and smaller additional burns to the torso and upper legs. And you say I will be bitten back harder? I have been bitten enough but I will come back harder WITHOUT any regrets. Two of my mates were killed around the time and three Lebbo scum exterminated.

All because of our anti heroin stance!

Don't worry - there was no police involvement because they were out of their league. And there were no disabled people or elderly ladies present as easy targets.

View attachment 55551

View attachment 55552

Enjoy your evening! It might be you last with these imported shitheads infecting this once beautiful country!! Home invasions are on the increase!
I'm guessing if they haven't lived around them they don't know. I for one can vouch for it. In Lakemba on top of a shop is a huge sign saying Allah is the true and one God
It's like stepping into a middle eastern country .

Once again, you are being very self-centric. Are you saying you and others, acted as vigilantes and were party to the crime of murder? Wow, I did not realise SDC was an on-line forum for extreme racial ideology, including violence.

I can make my comments without violent anger speech from you - and you seem to be sailing very close to the wind of threatening speech.
Sadly people in my area are being radicalised, violent and very disrespectful to non Moslem.

The Mosque run the Australian schools in the area and everything else .

Suburbs in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane areas are being over run with violence caused by groups of different backgrounds .
I'm thinking people are just fed up.

I'm guessing if they haven't lived around them they don't know. I for one can vouch for it. In Lakemba on top of a shop is a huge sign saying Allah is the true and one God
It's like stepping into a middle eastern country .
Thank you! We have both experienced crap from these warts on Australian society, albeit in different ways.

Let's just say, I am not to be messed with, in person. I'm not a keyboard warrior, more a footpath warrior. I prefer to deal with issues IN PERSON. I don't shirk the task. I don't start a conflict....I finish them.

Just wrap yourself in cotton wool, hide behind your flimsy front door and hope it doesn't happen to you. You probably think this whole thing is inconsequential. Not when over 25 people I have known have died from heroin overdoses in the 1980s and 1990s. ALL AT THE HANDS OF LEBANESE HEROIN SUPPLIERS! I could go on.

Are you are a Muslim apologist? Do you support Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic State and the other fringe fundamentalist Islamic terrorists? If you answered yes to one or both of these questions, then you are the one supporting violence.

Those questions were designed to determine your stance on the issue and not an accusation. Make that clear.
Firstly, you don’t get to stand over, threaten, intimidate and bully me Veggie. Secondly, I am not answerable to YOU! I don’t care what you think you are!

Thirdly, re-read my comment and tell me where I support criminal behaviour from anyone! You seem to have comprehension deficits or interpret as you see fit to suit your own agenda. My views are about the safely of our people and country. I do not want to see our Defence Personnel have to go to war because unhinged, big mouthed people take to on-line hate speech, fuelling radical behaviours. Yes, heroin and drugs...many contribute to this illegal activity, many of such organised crime groups I have already mentioned. But, it's just about what group has affected you personally?

What, do you think your spruiking threats and hate is going to keep anyone safe?

Sadly people in my area are being radicalised, violent and very disrespectful to non Moslem.

The Mosque run the Australian schools in the area and everything else .

Suburbs in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane areas are being over run with violence caused by groups of different backgrounds .
I'm thinking people are just fed up.
That might be so however your hate speech will not help that and will only potentially put others in harms way.

That might be so however your hate speech will not help that and will only potentially put others in harms way.
OR...just go put yourselves at risk and stop trying to influence others. What an irresponsible example to set. Look at how easy it is to have people condoning the madness. It is not your job...oh, that's right...you all don't have a job!

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM
I didn't give a hate speech ! I did say if anyone that comes into our country and commit a crime then they need to be sent back to the country they came from.

Why has our crime rate gone up over the years ?
Who are the ones behind the drug rings?

Vege hit it on the head

How christian of you! Child!
I am a Christian and will help those in need.
I however will not put up with people who come into this country and commit horrendous crime such as rape and selling drugs.

End of subject , you are becoming very angry 😠 and you really don't understand what is happening

I didn't give a hate speech ! I did say if anyone that comes into our country and commit a crime then they need to be sent back to the country they came from.

Why has our crime rate gone up over the years ?
Who are the ones behind the drug rings?

Vege hit it on the head
...and? what are you going to do about it? Incite psychosis?

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I am a Christian and will help those in need.
I however will not put up with people who come into this country and commit horrendous crime such as rape and selling drugs
Well, YOU go get em! You are the exact opposite to a christian Suzanne!

• Angry
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Firstly, you don’t get to stand over, threaten, intimidate and bully me Veggie. Secondly, I am not answerable to YOU! I don’t care what you think you are!

Thirdly, re-read my comment and tell me where I support criminal behaviour from anyone! You seem to have comprehension deficits or interpret as you see fit to suit your own agenda. My views are about the safely of our people and country. I do not want to see our Defence Personnel have to go to war because unhinged, big mouthed people take to on-line hate speech, fuelling radical behaviours. Yes, heroin and drugs...many contribute to this illegal activity, many of such organised crime groups I have already mentioned. But, it's just about what group has affected you personally?

What, do you think your spruiking threats and hate is going to keep anyone safe?
Your supporting criminal behaviour because you are saying we are wrong and being hatred .
It's you saying these words, we are just speaking the truth on what us happening in our society, whereas you have blinkers on

• Love
Your supporting criminal behaviour because you are saying we are wrong and being hatred .
It's you saying these words, we are just speaking the truth on what us happening in our society, whereas you have blinkers on
I'm saying what words? I am not supporting any criminal behaviour ... that is the point! You might need to put into words exactly what you think I am saying because I have not and do not support any murderous acts. Then tell me what you are expecting to achieve by speaking your truth. We have laws to deal with wrongdoing...we do not take it upon ourselves to issue retribution. Everybody knows what is happening in our society -
Extremist ideology; Inflamed language, ’Religious and racist hate speech’ as per ASIO

Last edited:

I look after myself. I'm more than capable as an unarmed 65 year old. Guns are a different proposition. I have had guns pointed at me four times in my life, one resulting in a Gypsy Joker biker mate being shot through the right shoulder. Didn't end well for the shooter. I would guess he no longer walks without a limp. Too bad!

You want to give the impression of being a do gooder, never been accused of any crime or misdeanour at all? Good for you .

I'm saying what words? I am not supporting any criminal behaviour ... that is the point! You might need to put into words exactly what you think I am saying because I have not and do not support any murderous acts. Then tell me what you are expecting to achieve by speaking your truth. We have laws to deal with wrongdoing...we do not take it upon ourselves to issue retribution. Everybody knows what is happening in our society -
Extremist ideology; Inflamed language, ’Religious and racist hate speech’ as per ASIO
Go fart in a jar. A preview to the crap you are spewing.

You have gone hero to zero in one day. Must feel good, hey?

Put shit on @Suzanne rose and you put shit on me. Not a good position to be in if I were you....