Public sentiment boils over as Woolworths denies cash-out request

Many still prefer the traditional method of handling physical cash. Usually, a visit to your preferred Woolworths store offers the ideal combination of grocery shopping and cash withdrawal. It's an efficient way to accomplish two tasks simultaneously.

However, unfortunately, the experience didn't quite meet expectations for one Woolworths customer.

compressed-photo-1581315679433-59bc164ac09e.jpeg
Public outcry erupts as Woolworths denies substantial cash withdrawals, sparking social media controversy. Image by mrthetrain from unsplash

Expressing his dissatisfaction on the 'Call Out Cashless Business' Facebook group, this customer strongly criticised Woolworths for declining his request to withdraw $500 in cash.

'I went to Woolworths yesterday and tried to get $500 cash out, they said that they had very little cash and we could withdraw $100 as everyone was withdrawing cash. When she opened the cash drawer, it had plenty of money in it. They are full of s***.' The customer claimed.

Let’s just halt our trolleys for a second; Woolworths be said to allow customers with the convenience of cash withdrawals of up to $500 per transaction.

However, it's worth noting that this limit may be lower at Woolies Metro stores.

This withdrawal limit is considered higher compared to other major retailers and supermarkets, which typically impose a lower daily limit for cash-out transactions.

compressed-photo-1538460330357-cf7b677772db.jpeg
Cashless transactions have gained popularity due to their convenience and ease of use in today's digital age. Image by sugercoatit from unsplash

The response to the Woolworths shopper's post has generated a mixed reaction, with a significant number of individuals coming to the defence of the retail giant.

One staunch Woolworths defender argued, 'To be fair, supermarkets are not banks, and they are under no obligation to do cash out at all.'

Another commented, 'People want to complain about a free service. Entitled much?'

However, others retorted with, ‘Both Coles and Woolworths are doing it. Wrong just lying to customers.’

‘I reckon they are trained to discourage it. I just stand my ground and say I’ll wait till they get it (often they open the drawer and at least $2000 in there) or ask to speak to a manager and they are very quick to hand over.’ said another.

One user went on to say, ‘You can use the self-serve checkouts like an ATM. You don’t even need to buy anything. I needed $1,000, but it would only give $500. So I just did back-to-back $500 withdrawals. Simple.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer expressed frustration when he was unable to withdraw $500 cash at a supermarket checkout.
  • This sparked a heated debate on social media, with some supporters arguing that customers should be able to use supermarket checkouts like ATMs.
  • Many social media users defended Woolworths, stating supermarkets aren't banks and shouldn't be expected to provide large cash withdrawal services.
  • Woolworths reportedly offers customers the option of withdrawing up to $500 cash per transaction, a limit that's reduced at Woolies Metro stores.

Where do you stand in this tug-of-war? Are you a fan of cashless transactions, or do you live by the roar of paper money?

As the debate refuses to cool down, remember to be prepared during your next trips for groceries—if you're planning on asking for cash-out, it won't do any harm to keep an ATM or direct in-branch withdrawals as your plan B.

Sponsored
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect supermarkets to be treated like a bank where you can rock up and do a cash withdrawal over the counter. And using their checkouts as ATMs? Nah. It's one thing if you're doing a shop and you want an extra 20 bucks so you can grab some lunch in the coffee shop, but to wander in, and just use the self-service check out to withdraw a few hundred bucks? Nope. Go to your bank. That's what banks are for, not supermarkets.

Many still prefer the traditional method of handling physical cash. Usually, a visit to your preferred Woolworths store offers the ideal combination of grocery shopping and cash withdrawal. It's an efficient way to accomplish two tasks simultaneously.

However, unfortunately, the experience didn't quite meet expectations for one Woolworths customer.

View attachment 24452
Public outcry erupts as Woolworths denies substantial cash withdrawals, sparking social media controversy. Image by mrthetrain from unsplash

Expressing his dissatisfaction on the 'Call Out Cashless Business' Facebook group, this customer strongly criticised Woolworths for declining his request to withdraw $500 in cash.

'I went to Woolworths yesterday and tried to get $500 cash out, they said that they had very little cash and we could withdraw $100 as everyone was withdrawing cash. When she opened the cash drawer, it had plenty of money in it. They are full of s***.' The customer claimed.

Let’s just halt our trolleys for a second; Woolworths be said to allow customers with the convenience of cash withdrawals of up to $500 per transaction.

However, it's worth noting that this limit may be lower at Woolies Metro stores.

This withdrawal limit is considered higher compared to other major retailers and supermarkets, which typically impose a lower daily limit for cash-out transactions.

View attachment 24453
Cashless transactions have gained popularity due to their convenience and ease of use in today's digital age. Image by sugercoatit from unsplash

The response to the Woolworths shopper's post has generated a mixed reaction, with a significant number of individuals coming to the defence of the retail giant.

One staunch Woolworths defender argued, 'To be fair, supermarkets are not banks, and they are under no obligation to do cash out at all.'

Another commented, 'People want to complain about a free service. Entitled much?'

However, others retorted with, ‘Both Coles and Woolworths are doing it. Wrong just lying to customers.’

‘I reckon they are trained to discourage it. I just stand my ground and say I’ll wait till they get it (often they open the drawer and at least $2000 in there) or ask to speak to a manager and they are very quick to hand over.’ said another.

One user went on to say, ‘You can use the self-serve checkouts like an ATM. You don’t even need to buy anything. I needed $1,000, but it would only give $500. So I just did back-to-back $500 withdrawals. Simple.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer expressed frustration when he was unable to withdraw $500 cash at a supermarket checkout.
  • This sparked a heated debate on social media, with some supporters arguing that customers should be able to use supermarket checkouts like ATMs.
  • Many social media users defended Woolworths, stating supermarkets aren't banks and shouldn't be expected to provide large cash withdrawal services.
  • Woolworths reportedly offers customers the option of withdrawing up to $500 cash per transaction, a limit that's reduced at Woolies Metro stores.

Where do you stand in this tug-of-war? Are you a fan of cashless transactions, or do you live by the roar of paper money?

As the debate refuses to cool down, remember to be prepared during your next trips for groceries—if you're planning on asking for cash-out, it won't do any harm to keep an ATM or direct in-branch withdrawals as your plan B.
We shouldn’t expect the Supermarket to replace our Bank/ATM. Some people are just ‘entitled’ !

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

If Woolies gave everyone $500 cash out when it was requested how long would it be before the cashiers ran out of cash to make change? Perhaps he should have used an ATM.

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

Woollies definetly in the wrong here. We don't want to be a cashless society

If the manned checkouts do not have enough cash in their registers you can always go to the self service registers which will give you up to $500 without making a purchase. I work at a Woolies in a major shopping centre & there are no ATM's anywhere nearby so quite a lot of people use our store for cash withdrawals. Never has a customer been denied.

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

The Federal Government should step in and tell the banks that they are compelled to have a cash withdrawal system available to any customer who wants cash, dont forget these banks are protected by the government there is no real competitors allowed near certain aspects of banking

Sometimes it may be a customer's only choice as banks are closing branches at a rapid pace. Then you are confronted with no Atm's available either because again the banks are removing Atm's or they are damaged and don't work. It's a catch 22 situation. I have no idea what the answer is but if the supermarkets are offering this service I will use it. I'm disabled and I get anxious just leaving my home then to discover that my bank was open last week and this week WHOOSKA it's gone, no Atm's in our small location so I'm grateful that my supermarket offers this service free.

Just use the self serve checkout, maybe even buy something then take out cash. It's a supermarket offering something that is purely for convenience of THEIR customers, not a substitute for a bank. Simplest option for supermarkets is to place a max limit on amount that can be withdrawn if not purchasing. Only offer larger amounts to customers actually making a purchase.

The Federal Government should step in and tell the banks that they are compelled to have a cash withdrawal system available to any customer who wants cash, dont forget these banks are protected by the government there is no real competitors allowed near certain aspects of banking
Already exists, it's called Australia Post and ATM that are affiliated with various banks allow fee free withdrawals. Forward planning, something that most young people frequently get told by us baby boomers, shoe is on the other foot now. Banks are answerable to their shareholders, the regulators (govt) are only there to protect the money of banks customers. Banks in this country make up 70% of the value of the ASX and as such make up the BULK of the peoples superannuation funds. Dividends paid by banks are primarily the only real increase of a super fund in this country.

I regularly get $200 and sometimes more at the (manned) checkout. It’s a service they offer, and there’s nothing wrong in using it.OK
If Woolies gave everyone $500 cash out when it was requested how long would it be before the cashiers ran out of cash to make change? Perhaps he should have used an ATM.
It may appear to some people that there are thousands in the cash register. How far do you think that would go in a supermarket, as said above.
I have sometimes been told that they don't have enough cash, that's OK, I just go to the self serve or the bank.
Why are people so entitled, perhaps there is a limit they must keep in their till.

Most people don't realize
Already exists, it's called Australia Post and ATM that are affiliated with various banks allow fee free withdrawals. Forward planning, something that most young people frequently get told by us baby boomers, shoe is on the other foot now. Banks are answerable to their shareholders, the regulators (govt) are only there to protect the money of banks customers. Banks in this country make up 70% of the value of the ASX and as such make up the BULK of the peoples superannuation funds. Dividends paid by banks are primarily the only real increase of a super fund in this country.
Most people don't realise these things, they live in their own little world and don't think beyond that.
I don't mean this comment as an insult to anybody but it is just a fact that a very large percentage of the population have no idea of how things work in the real world.
When I had my own business I overheard one of employees comment on an order we were putting together, the invoice being for around $30,000, and she thought I was making a fortune. By the time I took out wages, materials, freight, electricity, factory rent, etc. miscellaneous overheads I was lucky if ended up with 5% of that order. As wages went up, superannuation was bought in, 17.1/2%holiday pay loading, etc I eventually closed my business as it became impossible to make a profit.
But according to some if these I was just a lousy bitch who put them out of work. As I said."no idea"

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

$500 may be a bit much at certain times of the day, but they don't have to make the service available at all, so just accept what's on offer, or they may cease the service entirely.

If you are with ANZ you can't do anything at the PO.

Reactions: siameezer

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

Who wants to carry that much cash around in their pockets anyway? I thought we were a cashless society.

• Haha
Reactions: Gsr and siameezer

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

Having worked on registers the man claiming there was plenty of money in the til has no idea that we need to have a standard float to be able to give change. Sorry but to sook over this this next time just go to the bank...not all customers are right!