Public sentiment boils over as Woolworths denies cash-out request

Many still prefer the traditional method of handling physical cash. Usually, a visit to your preferred Woolworths store offers the ideal combination of grocery shopping and cash withdrawal. It's an efficient way to accomplish two tasks simultaneously.

However, unfortunately, the experience didn't quite meet expectations for one Woolworths customer.

compressed-photo-1581315679433-59bc164ac09e.jpeg
Public outcry erupts as Woolworths denies substantial cash withdrawals, sparking social media controversy. Image by mrthetrain from unsplash

Expressing his dissatisfaction on the 'Call Out Cashless Business' Facebook group, this customer strongly criticised Woolworths for declining his request to withdraw $500 in cash.

'I went to Woolworths yesterday and tried to get $500 cash out, they said that they had very little cash and we could withdraw $100 as everyone was withdrawing cash. When she opened the cash drawer, it had plenty of money in it. They are full of s***.' The customer claimed.

Let’s just halt our trolleys for a second; Woolworths be said to allow customers with the convenience of cash withdrawals of up to $500 per transaction.

However, it's worth noting that this limit may be lower at Woolies Metro stores.

This withdrawal limit is considered higher compared to other major retailers and supermarkets, which typically impose a lower daily limit for cash-out transactions.

compressed-photo-1538460330357-cf7b677772db.jpeg
Cashless transactions have gained popularity due to their convenience and ease of use in today's digital age. Image by sugercoatit from unsplash

The response to the Woolworths shopper's post has generated a mixed reaction, with a significant number of individuals coming to the defence of the retail giant.

One staunch Woolworths defender argued, 'To be fair, supermarkets are not banks, and they are under no obligation to do cash out at all.'

Another commented, 'People want to complain about a free service. Entitled much?'

However, others retorted with, ‘Both Coles and Woolworths are doing it. Wrong just lying to customers.’

‘I reckon they are trained to discourage it. I just stand my ground and say I’ll wait till they get it (often they open the drawer and at least $2000 in there) or ask to speak to a manager and they are very quick to hand over.’ said another.

One user went on to say, ‘You can use the self-serve checkouts like an ATM. You don’t even need to buy anything. I needed $1,000, but it would only give $500. So I just did back-to-back $500 withdrawals. Simple.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer expressed frustration when he was unable to withdraw $500 cash at a supermarket checkout.
  • This sparked a heated debate on social media, with some supporters arguing that customers should be able to use supermarket checkouts like ATMs.
  • Many social media users defended Woolworths, stating supermarkets aren't banks and shouldn't be expected to provide large cash withdrawal services.
  • Woolworths reportedly offers customers the option of withdrawing up to $500 cash per transaction, a limit that's reduced at Woolies Metro stores.

Where do you stand in this tug-of-war? Are you a fan of cashless transactions, or do you live by the roar of paper money?

As the debate refuses to cool down, remember to be prepared during your next trips for groceries—if you're planning on asking for cash-out, it won't do any harm to keep an ATM or direct in-branch withdrawals as your plan B.

Sponsored
Many still prefer the traditional method of handling physical cash. Usually, a visit to your preferred Woolworths store offers the ideal combination of grocery shopping and cash withdrawal. It's an efficient way to accomplish two tasks simultaneously.

However, unfortunately, the experience didn't quite meet expectations for one Woolworths customer.

View attachment 24452
Public outcry erupts as Woolworths denies substantial cash withdrawals, sparking social media controversy. Image by mrthetrain from unsplash

Expressing his dissatisfaction on the 'Call Out Cashless Business' Facebook group, this customer strongly criticised Woolworths for declining his request to withdraw $500 in cash.

'I went to Woolworths yesterday and tried to get $500 cash out, they said that they had very little cash and we could withdraw $100 as everyone was withdrawing cash. When she opened the cash drawer, it had plenty of money in it. They are full of s***.' The customer claimed.

Let’s just halt our trolleys for a second; Woolworths be said to allow customers with the convenience of cash withdrawals of up to $500 per transaction.

However, it's worth noting that this limit may be lower at Woolies Metro stores.

This withdrawal limit is considered higher compared to other major retailers and supermarkets, which typically impose a lower daily limit for cash-out transactions.

View attachment 24453
Cashless transactions have gained popularity due to their convenience and ease of use in today's digital age. Image by sugercoatit from unsplash

The response to the Woolworths shopper's post has generated a mixed reaction, with a significant number of individuals coming to the defence of the retail giant.

One staunch Woolworths defender argued, 'To be fair, supermarkets are not banks, and they are under no obligation to do cash out at all.'

Another commented, 'People want to complain about a free service. Entitled much?'

However, others retorted with, ‘Both Coles and Woolworths are doing it. Wrong just lying to customers.’

‘I reckon they are trained to discourage it. I just stand my ground and say I’ll wait till they get it (often they open the drawer and at least $2000 in there) or ask to speak to a manager and they are very quick to hand over.’ said another.

One user went on to say, ‘You can use the self-serve checkouts like an ATM. You don’t even need to buy anything. I needed $1,000, but it would only give $500. So I just did back-to-back $500 withdrawals. Simple.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer expressed frustration when he was unable to withdraw $500 cash at a supermarket checkout.
  • This sparked a heated debate on social media, with some supporters arguing that customers should be able to use supermarket checkouts like ATMs.
  • Many social media users defended Woolworths, stating supermarkets aren't banks and shouldn't be expected to provide large cash withdrawal services.
  • Woolworths reportedly offers customers the option of withdrawing up to $500 cash per transaction, a limit that's reduced at Woolies Metro stores.

Where do you stand in this tug-of-war? Are you a fan of cashless transactions, or do you live by the roar of paper money?

As the debate refuses to cool down, remember to be prepared during your next trips for groceries—if you're planning on asking for cash-out, it won't do any harm to keep an ATM or direct in-branch withdrawals as your plan B.
I still like cash but we only carry small amounts now mostly because we are aged and decrepit and it wouldn't take much to tale it from us forcibly. My greatest worry now is if the banks are down or something happens that technology isn't working, you have no way of getting your money 🤔

On a slightly different topic; has anyone else noticed that Woolworths has increased to price of its 1 litre carton of Soy milk from $1.15c to $2 overnight? An 85 cent increase. Talking of inflation and price gouging !

Already exists, it's called Australia Post and ATM that are affiliated with various banks allow fee free withdrawals. Forward planning, something that most young people frequently get told by us baby boomers, shoe is on the other foot now. Banks are answerable to their shareholders, the regulators (govt) are only there to protect the money of banks customers. Banks in this country make up 70% of the value of the ASX and as such make up the BULK of the peoples superannuation funds. Dividends paid by banks are primarily the only real increase of a super fund in this country.
Hi AlanQ all the ATMs in my area charge to use them

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

Cashless society? Oh yeah ? No electricity hence no ATMs, no efpos, no credit transactions. No food, no petrol etc. They haven't thought that one through properly.

Reactions: siameezer
I nearly always take cash out when doing the grocery shopping, it is convenient and to be honest too much effort is needed to get to an ATM in the regional town where we live. As mentioned by a member of SDC in a previous post the cashiers at the checkout have to carry a certain amount of "float"in their tills if the request for cashout depletes that amount the alternative is to go to the service desk, who are uaualy only to happy to help. The guy doing all the complaining about not being able to withdraw the amount of cash that he wanted is just an Entitled Twat who thinks the world revolves around him.

Reactions: featherfour
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect supermarkets to be treated like a bank where you can rock up and do a cash withdrawal over the counter. And using their checkouts as ATMs? Nah. It's one thing if you're doing a shop and you want an extra 20 bucks so you can grab some lunch in the coffee shop, but to wander in, and just use the self-service check out to withdraw a few hundred bucks? Nope. Go to your bank. That's what banks are for, not supermarkets.
Agreed - I'm very much on the side of having some cash in my wallet, and I will sometimes add a cashout to myVisa Card purchase - BUT - I do think that asking for a cashout in the hundreds is being more than a bit cheeky, it's a shop not a bank after all !

Reactions: featherfour
While I appreciate the convenience of being able to get some cash out at the supermarket, I would never presume to ask for such a large amount. It's a SUPERMARKET not a bank and yes. The cashier probably might have had a couple of thousand in their float, because they actually need that for other customers who are paying in cash. I work in retail and can have up to $1.5k in my register on an epically busy day, but the company I work for does not do cash out. We just direct people to the nearest ATM. I don't like to use the K-word, but that customer is just being entitled and deliberately ignorant. Go find a bank or cash machine. He's the sort of customer we laugh about in the break room.

• Angry
Reactions: Lisa and siameezer
We shouldn’t expect the Supermarket to replace our Bank/ATM. Some people are just ‘entitled’ !
Absolute piffle! Entitlement has NOTHING to do with it. Try bank branches closing, banks no longer allowing you to withdraw cash over the counter, ATMs becoming fewer and post offices not being handy for many of us with mobility issues who simply can't walk from a supermarket a kilometre or two to the nearest post office! The lack of banking facilities now available is highlighted in this article https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...r&cvid=e1fd92e9c41f48b6b806a44742578b76&ei=10

Absolute piffle! Entitlement has NOTHING to do with it. Try bank branches closing, banks no longer allowing you to withdraw cash over the counter, ATMs becoming fewer and post offices not being handy for many of us with mobility issues who simply can't walk from a supermarket a kilometre or two to the nearest post office! The lack of banking facilities now available is highlighted in this article https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...r&cvid=e1fd92e9c41f48b6b806a44742578b76&ei=10
I think the point people were making is that Woolworths don't have to provide this service, many places don't .
Instead of belly aching about it the gentleman could have gone to the service desk or the self serve machines
Instead he decided to make a scene , stand at the checkout and insist on the money, demand to see the manager,in the meantime what about the people waiting behind him
If that doesn't make him entitled I don't know what does

• Haha
Reactions: Milica
I think the point people were making is that Woolworths don't have to provide this service, many places don't .
Instead of belly aching about it the gentleman could have gone to the service desk or the self serve machines
Instead he decided to make a scene , stand at the checkout and insist on the money, demand to see the manager,in the meantime what about the people waiting behind him
If that doesn't make him entitled I don't know what does
The person I replied to, and many others here lacking in compassion and empathy, are saying expecting Woolies to provide a cash-out service is entitled! That is what is being addressed!!!!!! Post offices are NOT convenient for many, ATMS are NOT always close by and some banks are NOT allowing cash withdrawals. Did the checkout operator direct them to the service desk? Did they offer an alternative? I guess we will never know.

Reactions: Milica
If the manned checkouts do not have enough cash in their registers you can always go to the self service registers which will give you up to $500 without making a purchase. I work at a Woolies in a major shopping centre & there are no ATM's anywhere nearby so quite a lot of people use our store for cash withdrawals. Never has a customer been denied.
That's a great service considering a lot of banks have actually closed there doors-you are right, there are not that many ATM's around - you do have to go looking for them-i shop at woollies and will sometimes get up to $100 out if needed but no more than this - so thankyou for your service, it is very helpful to be able to perform a cash withdrawal whilst shopping - after all you are already using your bankcard with your shop - your customers thankyou for this service-it seems you are thinking of us more than the banks that have closed the doors, and in regional towns no less!

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

I take out small amounts from time to time for free from Woolies. Usually $10 or $20. Rarely $50 or even $100, but not $500. I think that's excessive amount to withdraw at a supermarket...except in absolute emergencies or where there is no other option available.

I dislike paying an ATM fee, especially for a small amount.

As supermarkets primarily deal in card transactions, they have less cash in the tills. So, to be fair to all their customers, they have to limit withdrawals, or they may run low or out of cash.

💯agree - if you can find a bank that is both open and not cashless 🤪
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to expect supermarkets to be treated like a bank where you can rock up and do a cash withdrawal over the counter. And using their checkouts as ATMs? Nah. It's one thing if you're doing a shop and you want an extra 20 bucks so you can grab some lunch in the coffee shop, but to wander in, and just use the self-service check out to withdraw a few hundred bucks? Nope. Go to your bank. That's what banks are for, not supermarkets.

This is why banks are closing branches, not enough customers are using the service as they can get cash out at shops and shopping centre ATMs. A lot just do online banking for everything. I always try to use the ATM at my bank branch or over the counter service for cash withdrawals. I must admit over the counter is harder now as the Westpac branch in our town has been refurbished quite a few years ago and has only two separate desks to serve people and only one of those has the facility to dispense and deposit cash. Very bad service at busy times.

There is no use crying over it. Just ask for a smaller amount and don’t forget to say thank you. They are just doing what they are told

View attachment 24452

View attachment 24453

Key Takeaways

For that amt a bank is best. Supermarkets shouldn’t b expected to have that much

Reactions: relljube
I not sure what you mean not fair it is Woolworths who say you can draw money out