Play School icon's shocking health battle comes to light: ‘It’s not going to go away’

Popular television personality Trisha Goddard, best known for her stint as a host on the iconic children's show Play School in the 1990s, has recently shared some deeply personal and heartbreaking health news.

The 66-year-old has bravely announced the return of her breast cancer, a disease she first battled in 2008. This time, however, the diagnosis is more severe—her cancer is terminal.

'It's not going to go away,' Goddard revealed in a candid interview. 'And with that knowledge comes grief and fear. But I must keep enjoying what I have always enjoyed.'

Goddard's journey with metastatic stage 4 cancer began 19 months ago, but she has only now decided to share her story with the public.

GGsQKX5X0AA5V7b.jpg
Trisha Goddard revealed her breast cancer diagnosis. Image source: @TFMRadioNews/X (Twitter)

'I won't hide it anymore,' she expressed in an interview with a magazine, acknowledging that her illness was becoming more apparent.

'I can’t lie. I can’t keep making up stories. It gets to a stage, after a year and a half, when keeping a secret becomes more of a burden than anything else.'

Goddard's career in television spans over three decades, with her most notable role being the host of Play School between 1987 and 1998.

After leaving Australia, she returned to the UK, where she hosted the self-titled talk show Trisha on ITV between 1998 and 2005.

Despite her health struggles, Goddard remains determined to continue her work.

'My worry is that people will start seeing me as a frail little thing ... or that people would change the way they are with me, or that I wouldn’t work,' she shared.

'I’m a journalist. I don’t want to be “the story”. I don’t want to be interviewing someone and for them to say to me: “I’m so sorry.”’

Following her magazine interview, Goddard took to social media to share a heartfelt message with her followers.

'Doing this is tough,' she wrote. 'I’ve been keeping a difficult secret for 19 months now, but like my new hairstyle—I can’t hide it anymore.'

Screenshot 2024-02-20 083308.png
Goddard also shared her health battle on social media. Image source: @therealtrishagoddard/Instagram

In the accompanying photos, Goddard is seen sporting a close-cropped, bleached-blonde haircut, a testament to her resilience and spirit.

Her fans and followers offered their love and support in the comments section.

‘I'm so sorry you're going through this; sending lots of love, light and strength. You look incredible! I love your hair like that!’ one comment said.

‘I saw your pic and thought how amazing you look…which tells me all your good energy is going to get you through this. You’re an inspiration, Trisha. You’ve got this,’ another wrote.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Australian women, excluding non-melanoma skin cancer.

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, it is estimated that in 2021, 19,974 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in Australia. This equates to an average of 55 new cases every day.

While the news of Goddard's diagnosis is heartbreaking, it is a reminder of the importance of regular breast cancer screenings and early detection. Regular mammograms are the best way to find breast cancer early before any symptoms appear and when treatment is likely to be most successful.

Goddard's brave revelation also highlights the importance of emotional support and mental health care for those living with a terminal illness.

The psychological impact of a cancer diagnosis can be significant, leading to feelings of fear, anxiety, and depression. It's crucial for patients and their families to have access to mental health services and support networks during this challenging time.

Trisha Goddard's journey is a testament to her strength and resilience. Her decision to share her story publicly not only raises awareness about the realities of living with terminal cancer but also offers hope and inspiration to others facing similar battles.

Her courage and determination are truly inspiring, and we wish her all the best in her ongoing fight against cancer.

Key Takeaways

• Trisha Goddard, who was a host on Play School in the 1990s, has announced her terminal breast cancer diagnosis.
  • She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 and has now revealed her stage 4 metastatic cancer after keeping it a secret for 19 months.
  • Goddard expressed her concerns about being treated differently or becoming 'the story' instead of a journalist.
  • Many fans and followers have shown support and love on social media after her heartfelt post about her health and new hairstyle on social media.

What are your thoughts on Trisha Goddard's health update? Share your messages of support in the comments below.

Sponsored
Hi Trisha,
I well remember when you were in Australia. Nice to see you again.
I'm on the same journey as you are. I had Breast cancer in 1996, resulting in a mastectomy and radiotherapy. I felt well for more than 23 years. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with Stomach cancer, a mestastic follow on from the breast cancer. Confirmed via pathology. My treatment now is the same as for breast cancer. I have had chemo, (lost my hair), and am on very expensive tablets, for which I am most grateful.
I have a really good quality of life at present. I wish the same to you.

June B.Xx

It's scary to hear those words. You have Cancer. I had my first diagnosis of Early Stage Breast Cancer in 2020 and second diagnosis in 2023. I'm currently going through my 2nd round of Radiation. Approximately 75 women are diagnosed daily in Australia. Please everyone get your regular mammograms. I had no symptoms each time, but have regular mammograms.

It's scary to hear those words. You have Cancer. I had my first diagnosis of Early Stage Breast Cancer in 2020 and second diagnosis in 2023. I'm currently going through my 2nd round of Radiation. Approximately 75 women are diagnosed daily in Australia. Please everyone get your regular mammograms. I had no symptoms each time, but have regular mammograms.
Thermograms are a much safer option.

Attachments

• Thermograms.jpg
    Thermograms.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Thermograms are a much safer option.
Wow, I have been having yearly mammograms for 30 years due to family history of breast cancer, had my last one in October 23. I have never heard of thermograms and have never been told by any of the radiologists that there was an alternative check. I will be asking about this before my next check.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Wow, I have been having yearly mammograms for 30 years due to family history of breast cancer, had my last one in October 23. I have never heard of thermograms and have never been told by any of the radiologists that there was an alternative check. I will be asking about this before my next check.
There is an article on Breast Screening Australia's website stating that thermograms are less than 50% as effective than mammograms in picking up tumours, and even less so in smaller ones. As a result, they are not recommended as a diagnostic tool for detecting Breast cancer.

A thermogram relies on the temperature differences in the tissue structure and is not a visual tool, but one that relies on a thermal image.

To be avoided at all costs.