Pilot's terrifying experience: Blinded by a laser in mid-air – Find out what happened!

It's a worrying fact: even when you're thousands of feet up in the sky and enjoying a well-earned holiday by pursuing your passions, danger can still loom large.

Just ask Sabrina Johnson, a talented 22-year-old pilot who flies for a regional airline in the US, as well as being a commercial helicopter pilot and flight instructor. Sabrina recently shared a chilling story of the moment she was blinded by a laser while flying – and, horrifyingly, it has happened to her not once but twice!

1685948040496.png
According to Ms Johnson, the authorities swiftly and successfully apprehended those responsible for the incident. Source: Sabrina Johnson/Instagram

The young pilot describes the moment a laser blinded her, she warned, 'If you think it's funny to shoot a laser at an aeroplane, it's not.' Sharing insights into her life in the clouds, Johnson's video warning about the dangers of laser pointers has obtained more than a million views – and it's easy to see why. In her viral video, she recounted her first laser encounter:

'While flying as a flight instructor, I was flying through New York City doing some sightseeing and I was getting lasered. It’s basically like a green laser that flashes and they try to blind pilots. I think people think it’s funny.'

You can watch her full video here:

Although the peculiarly green lasers are hardly a laughing matter, Sabrina and her passengers had no choice but to try and navigate their way through the situation. 'So I just put my head down with my passenger and flew by the instruments, and then I let the LaGuardia Tower know that 'hey we're getting lasered right now,' and they vectored us back home.'

Thankfully, neither Sabrina nor her passengers were hurt during the incident, but the danger posed by using lasers in public spaces or near aircraft is just too serious for the authorities to ignore.

'The FBI called me and they narrowed it down within a 0.3-mile radius of the top of the building that someone was shooting the laser at me from. They will find you. They take this so seriously.'

In a second incident involving a laser while flying, Johnson quickly alerted Air Traffic Control, and the police were dispatched to the scene without delay.

In both the US and Australia, punishments for engaging in this reckless behaviour can be severe. In the US, for example, those found guilty can face massive fines and/or up to five years in prison. Meanwhile, in Australia, penalties can range from two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5,500, as is the case in New South Wales.

How Lasers Can Affect Pilots And Their Situational Awareness​

• Impact on Pilots:
    • Laser pointer attacks on pilots have serious consequences.
    • Lasers hitting a plane's cockpit cause dazzling glare, flash-blindness, and after-images.
    • High-intensity laser beams compromise a pilot's situational awareness.
    • Endangers the lives of those onboard.
  • Risks to Flight Safety:
    • Momentary loss of visual acuity during critical flight phases is dangerous.
    • Pilots must rely solely on instruments, leading to suboptimal decision-making.
    • Cumulative effects of repeated exposure to lasers may result in lasting eye damage for pilots.
  • Wasted Time and Resources:
    • Laser incidents require air traffic controllers to redirect affected flights to safer routes.
    • Law enforcement officers must locate and apprehend those responsible.
    • Results in wastage of time and resources.
  • Collective Responsibility:
    • Addressing laser attacks requires collective responsibility and vigilance.
    • Pilots, passengers, and the community as a whole should remain alert and proactive.

Key Takeaways
  • A 22-year-old pilot named Sabrina Johnson has shared her experiences of having lasers pointed at her aircraft on two separate occasions.
  • Johnson, a commercial helicopter pilot and flight instructor, shared her story on TikTok, where her video warning about lasers gained over 1 million views.
  • In the US, shining a laser at an aircraft can be punished with substantial fines and up to five years imprisonment.
  • It is also illegal in Australia, with penalties including up to two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5500 in NSW.

We must emphasise the importance of remaining vigilant and aware of potential hazards, whether on the ground or in the sky. If you find yourself in a similar precarious situation, it is crucial to promptly notify the appropriate authorities to ensure your safety and that of others.

Members, have you ever experienced or witnessed a laser pointer attack on a pilot or aircraft? We would like to hear your thoughts on the story and your perspective on this issue. Share your experiences and opinions with us by commenting below!

Sponsored
Now about those glaring "blue" xenon lights fitted to headlights of modern cars and SUVs...........It takes about 20 minutes for our eyes adapt to night vision from daylight vision. Getting blinded repeatedly when travelling at 40kph+ to the point where one cannot see obstructions ahead is plain dangerous, even though it may not damage eyes as can lasers. It is time that those types of headlights were made illegal.

The problem is that the penalty for this is minor and should be tripled as far as the prison sentence is concerned. It is once again one of those things carried out by a minority who are stupid enough to gamble with people's lives. A few may also be minors in which case the parents should suffer the consequences.

Now about those glaring "blue" xenon lights fitted to headlights of modern cars and SUVs...........It takes about 20 minutes for our eyes adapt to night vision from daylight vision. Getting blinded repeatedly when travelling at 40kph+ to the point where one cannot see obstructions ahead is plain dangerous, even though it may not damage eyes as can lasers. It is time that those types of headlights were made illegal.
Agree these are downright dangerous and completely unnecessary.

Reactions: Marj53 and Jennie
I agree, these xenon lights are blinding and it is about time they were made illegal.

Reactions: Jennie and Mr Chips
Idiots! This could be life-threatening. Two years gaol isn't enough. Let's make a real deterrent and go with 5 years as in USA.

Reactions: Marj53
It's a worrying fact: even when you're thousands of feet up in the sky and enjoying a well-earned holiday by pursuing your passions, danger can still loom large.

Just ask Sabrina Johnson, a talented 22-year-old pilot who flies for a regional airline in the US, as well as being a commercial helicopter pilot and flight instructor. Sabrina recently shared a chilling story of the moment she was blinded by a laser while flying – and, horrifyingly, it has happened to her not once but twice!

View attachment 21532
According to Ms Johnson, the authorities swiftly and successfully apprehended those responsible for the incident. Source: Sabrina Johnson/Instagram

The young pilot describes the moment a laser blinded her, she warned, 'If you think it's funny to shoot a laser at an aeroplane, it's not.' Sharing insights into her life in the clouds, Johnson's video warning about the dangers of laser pointers has obtained more than a million views – and it's easy to see why. In her viral video, she recounted her first laser encounter:

'While flying as a flight instructor, I was flying through New York City doing some sightseeing and I was getting lasered. It’s basically like a green laser that flashes and they try to blind pilots. I think people think it’s funny.'

You can watch her full video here:

Although the peculiarly green lasers are hardly a laughing matter, Sabrina and her passengers had no choice but to try and navigate their way through the situation. 'So I just put my head down with my passenger and flew by the instruments, and then I let the LaGuardia Tower know that 'hey we're getting lasered right now,' and they vectored us back home.'

Thankfully, neither Sabrina nor her passengers were hurt during the incident, but the danger posed by using lasers in public spaces or near aircraft is just too serious for the authorities to ignore.

'The FBI called me and they narrowed it down within a 0.3-mile radius of the top of the building that someone was shooting the laser at me from. They will find you. They take this so seriously.'

In a second incident involving a laser while flying, Johnson quickly alerted Air Traffic Control, and the police were dispatched to the scene without delay.

In both the US and Australia, punishments for engaging in this reckless behaviour can be severe. In the US, for example, those found guilty can face massive fines and/or up to five years in prison. Meanwhile, in Australia, penalties can range from two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5,500, as is the case in New South Wales.

How Lasers Can Affect Pilots And Their Situational Awareness​

• Impact on Pilots:
    • Laser pointer attacks on pilots have serious consequences.
    • Lasers hitting a plane's cockpit cause dazzling glare, flash-blindness, and after-images.
    • High-intensity laser beams compromise a pilot's situational awareness.
    • Endangers the lives of those onboard.
  • Risks to Flight Safety:
    • Momentary loss of visual acuity during critical flight phases is dangerous.
    • Pilots must rely solely on instruments, leading to suboptimal decision-making.
    • Cumulative effects of repeated exposure to lasers may result in lasting eye damage for pilots.
  • Wasted Time and Resources:
    • Laser incidents require air traffic controllers to redirect affected flights to safer routes.
    • Law enforcement officers must locate and apprehend those responsible.
    • Results in wastage of time and resources.
  • Collective Responsibility:
    • Addressing laser attacks requires collective responsibility and vigilance.
    • Pilots, passengers, and the community as a whole should remain alert and proactive.

Key Takeaways

• A 22-year-old pilot named Sabrina Johnson has shared her experiences of having lasers pointed at her aircraft on two separate occasions.
  • Johnson, a commercial helicopter pilot and flight instructor, shared her story on TikTok, where her video warning about lasers gained over 1 million views.
  • In the US, shining a laser at an aircraft can be punished with substantial fines and up to five years imprisonment.
  • It is also illegal in Australia, with penalties including up to two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5500 in NSW.

We must emphasise the importance of remaining vigilant and aware of potential hazards, whether on the ground or in the sky. If you find yourself in a similar precarious situation, it is crucial to promptly notify the appropriate authorities to ensure your safety and that of others.

Members, have you ever experienced or witnessed a laser pointer attack on a pilot or aircraft? We would like to hear your thoughts on the story and your perspective on this issue. Share your experiences and opinions with us by commenting below!

I feel that anyone caught diog this should be given a mandatory 20 year sentence for attempted murder, and the is being a lenient sentence.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Marj53