Perth house sets a record-breaking low price of $140,000 in 2023

Amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis, some are looking into investing in property – whether downsizing their homes, moving closer to family, or simply trying their hand at renovating and reselling houses.

Or maybe the grandkids are looking to buy their first homes and need some advice from their wise grandparents! One thing's for sure; there are some bargains to be had in the property market if you know where to look.

However, we've recently come across a story about an incredibly low-priced property in Perth that has us all wondering whether it's a fantastic find or a complete disaster.

The property in question is a three-bedroom, one-bathroom duplex in the Camillo suburb, south-east of Perth, which recently sold for a record-breaking low price of $140,000.

To give you some perspective, the median house price in Camillo is $350,000, while the overall median house price in Perth is a whopping $571,000. And all this, despite 11 consecutive interest rate hikes by the Reserve Bank pushing property prices higher across Australia.

rea1.jpg
The Perth property is considered the cheapest in the city. Credit: O’Neill Real Estate

So what does a $140,000 property look like?

Well, according to the pictures and description provided by the selling agent, Mark Grogan from O'Neill Real Estate, it's nothing like a dream home.

In the online listing, Mr Grogan was brutally honest about the state of the three-bedroom, one-bathroom duplex. He said the run-down property looked ‘pretty rough’.

‘“Pretty” is generous because it's ugly. Rough is being polite,’ he clarified.

The photos shared online attest to the real estate agent’s grim description of the property. In it, you could see a missing front door, brick walls boarded up with plywood and a yard that looks more like a rubbish dump than a welcoming outdoor space. There’s even a shopping trolley and a torn mattress strewn across the yard.

The agent's honesty extended to admitting that the house requires a new kitchen, bathroom, doors, windows, floors, and ‘other bits and pieces’ before it's even remotely habitable.

rea2.jpg
The agent admitted the house needed to be renovated. Credit: O’Neill Real Estate

Despite the brutally honest sales pitch, the property attracted some interest from bargain hunters or brave renovators to pull off a dramatic home makeover. Eventually, it was sold for its low, low price.

It remains unclear whether the new owners intend to flip the property or live in it, but given the potential for a highly rewarding renovation project, they might have made a clever investment. (And in today’s current housing crisis, we think it is a smart business move.)

It's always wise to learn from others' experiences when it comes to property. So, in light of this tale, what advice can we impart to our members?

Make sure to do your homework: Research the local market, and learn about recent sale prices and trends in the area you are interested in.

Be prepared for unforeseen costs: When buying a fixer-upper, there can be unexpected expenses that didn't show up during your initial inspection.

Get advice from experts: Consult with experienced renovators, builders, and real estate agents who can provide valuable advice on risk factors and potential opportunities.

Know your limits: Always consider how much time, energy, and financial commitment a renovation project might require.

So, there you have it, members — an unbelievable tale of a record-breaking low-priced Perth house that could be a renovator's dream (or nightmare, depending on your perspective).

We hope this story provides some food for thought and perhaps even entertains you during your next morning cuppa. And remember, when it comes to property, it's always possible to find a diamond in the rough if you're willing to search, learn, and take calculated risks.
Key Takeaways
  • A run-down Perth home has sold for just $140,000, marking a new record for the cheapest property in the city in 2023.
  • The blunt description of the property in the online listing, describing it as 'ugly' and 'rough', seemed to draw interest from renovators.
  • The median property price in Camillo is $350,000, and the overall Perth median is at $571,000, making it the cheapest capital city housing market.
Do you have any advice for those looking to buy their first houses? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Shane/# and RTS
Sponsored
Certainly a chance for a profit, do your best due diligence before committing yourself to a project like this.

Patrick Ward.

S.A.

Reactions: Anoush
possibly the best thing to do would be to bull doze it and build a nice clean new home,,,,don't honestly think I could walk in there,,,the smell would be horrendous ,,,animals roaming through leaving their mark ,,vandals leaving their mark,,,that toilet would be enough to keep me out

Reactions: Judibing
possibly the best thing to do would be to bull doze it and build a nice clean new home,,,,don't honestly think I could walk in there,,,the smell would be horrendous ,,,animals roaming through leaving their mark ,,vandals leaving their mark,,,that toilet would be enough to keep me out
scarey turd.jpg

You really have to feel sorry for whoever was the previous owner, because it sounds like a Sale By Morgatee

absolute outer limits of the Perth metro area, would be on par with living in Pakenham (Melb) or Richmond (Syd) for comparison to actual civilisation. Most likely old public housing stock that was sold off and trashed by the disgruntled (entitled) former tenant(s).

absolute outer limits of the Perth metro area, would be on par with living in Pakenham (Melb) or Richmond (Syd) for comparison to actual civilisation. Most likely old public housing stock that was sold off and trashed by the disgruntled (entitled) former tenant(s).
Don't know where on earth you get that idea from. I live in WA, and Camillo, although not the greatest
suburb, is only 29.6km from Perth.
Pakenham, on the other hand, where my brother lives, is 60.6kms from Melbourne twice the distance.
You are probably right though about the house being ex HomesWest housing.
My brother's property in Pakenham is worth about $3.5million I am sure you won't find a property in Camillo worth anywhere near that amount, despite it's much more convenient location ( as in it's closeness to Perth,)
Mandurah is some 69kms south of Perth and Yanchep 56kms north, both considered metropolitan .

Wow, that's quite the headline! It's amazing how property prices can vary so much. Reminds me of when I was exploring different real estate markets a while back. I stumbled upon investingdubaiproperty.com while doing some research and was fascinated by the dynamics of different markets. It's wild to think about the opportunities out there if you know where to look.

Wow, that's quite the headline! It's amazing how property prices can vary so much. Reminds me of when I was exploring different real estate markets a while back. I stumbled upon investingdubaiproperty.com while doing some research and was fascinated by the dynamics of different markets. It's wild to think about the opportunities out there if you know where to look.
Seriously ridiculous answer to this post which is last years.dubai yeah righto matey.🤣

Seriously ridiculous answer to this post which is last years.dubai yeah righto matey.🤣
Yes, I was reading it and recalled I had commented on the person who said Camillo was on the outskirts of Perth, similar to Pakenham in Vic.
As I live in WA and my brother in Pakenham I knew that Camillo is around 30ks From Perth,whereas Pakenham is more than twice that distance from Melbourne.
My husband and I used to flip houses before we retired.
With the materials shortage, increased prices of materials, all the things that can go wrong etc and bearing in mind that this is an old state housing area, which will have a bearing on the return you can expect to achieve I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a novice flipper.
Myself, I wouldn't touch it, but I'm sure somebody did and I wish them luck.