Organising expert reveals 6 things you should never put in your fridge!

When you think about organising your fridge, you probably focus on how to fit everything in a neat and accessible manner.

What you may not realise is that you might have been storing some items in your fridge that would be far better off in your pantry or countertop.

Let's dive into the six items you may mistakenly think belong in your fridge and uncover why they shouldn't be there.

New York-based organising expert Caroline Solomon (34) recently shared a video detailing six items homeowners should keep out of their fridge.

SDC 7.png
Organising expert Caroline Solomon revealed the six items homeowners should not keep in their fridge. Image source: TikTok/@neat.caroline.

First on Solomon's list was chocolate. Some people, especially during hot summer days, prefer to store chocolates in a chillier environment to prevent melting.

Solomon explained that while the fridge keeps the chocolate from liquefying, it unfortunately 'dulls the flavour and leads to a grainy consistency'.

She advised storing it 'in a dark and dry place'.

Next up on her list was tomato sauce. As per Solomon, storing this condiment in the fridge, isn't necessary.

'You can keep the bottle in the fridge, but it's entirely safe to keep it in your cupboard as well,' she said.

Another common kitchen item Solomon suggested should escape the fridge’s confines is garlic. She said the optimum storage location for garlic bulbs is 'in a cool, dry place as refrigeration causes it to become rubbery'.

Olive oil also found its way into the list as Solomon highlighted that keeping olive oil in the fridge might result in it forming crystals and turning solid, making it difficult to use the next time you're cooking up a feast.

She added that basil is 'best left at room temperature with the stems in the water'.

The organising expert ended her video with a tip for pastries.

'If you have Danishes, muffins, that sort of thing, it's best to keep them at room temperature.'

Her video has garnered over 1.3 million views and has sparked spirited discussions, particularly on the topic of whether to refrigerate tomato sauce.

Many disagreed and argued that tomato sauce is best refrigerated after opening.

'Ketchup, it says for best results, keep in the fridge. It helps preserve the flavour,' one commented.

While another user asked: 'So we just going to ignore labels that say refrigerated after opening?'

'Didn’t Heinz literally put out a public service recently remind people they need to put their Ketchup up in the fridge,' a third replied.

According to a spokesperson from Heinz, their tomato sauce 'has to be in the fridge'.

Other users from around the world also insisted that chocolates need to be refrigerated, or they would melt.

'I live in Florida. I’m not leaving chocolate outside of the fridge,' one replied.

'Anyone who has experienced an Australian summer knows you have to refrigerate chocolate and sauce,' another added.

While a third said: 'In my country, chocolate goes in the fridge because it literally melts outside.'

You can watch Caroline’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@neat.caroline.

Key Takeaways
  • Caroline Solomon listed six items that should not be stored in the refrigerator.
  • Among the items listed were chocolate, which she said chilling can lead to a grainy consistency, and tomato sauce, stating that it can safely be stored in the cupboard or the fridge.
  • Solomon also addressed the storage of garlic bulbs and olive oil. Chilled garlic can become rubbery, while olive oil can form crystals and solidify in the fridge.
  • Many viewers disagreed with Solomon's recommendations, especially on the topic of tomato sauce and chocolate storage.
Members, what do you think about these storage tips? Have you been making some of these fridge mistakes, or do you have your food storage guidelines? Share your thoughts and tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
When you think about organising your fridge, you probably focus on how to fit everything in a neat and accessible manner.

What you may not realise is that you might have been storing some items in your fridge that would be far better off in your pantry or countertop.

Let's dive into the six items you may mistakenly think belong in your fridge and uncover why they shouldn't be there.

New York-based organising expert Caroline Solomon (34) recently shared a video detailing six items homeowners should keep out of their fridge.

View attachment 33030
Organising expert Caroline Solomon revealed the six items homeowners should not keep in their fridge. Image source: TikTok/@neat.caroline.

First on Solomon's list was chocolate. Some people, especially during hot summer days, prefer to store chocolates in a chillier environment to prevent melting.

Solomon explained that while the fridge keeps the chocolate from liquefying, it unfortunately 'dulls the flavour and leads to a grainy consistency'.

Next up on her list was tomato sauce. As per Solomon, storing this condiment in the fridge, isn't necessary.

'You can keep the bottle in the fridge, but it's entirely safe to keep it in your cupboard as well,' she said.

Another common kitchen item Solomon suggested should escape the fridge’s confines is garlic. She said the optimum storage location for garlic bulbs is 'in a cool, dry place as refrigeration causes it to become rubbery'.

Olive oil also found its way into the list as Solomon highlighted that keeping olive oil in the fridge might result in it forming crystals and turning solid, making it difficult to use the next time you're cooking up a feast.

She added that basil is 'best left at room temperature with the stems in the water'.

'If you have Danishes, muffins, that sort of thing, it's best to keep them at room temperature.'

Her video has garnered over 1.3 million views and has sparked spirited discussions, particularly on the topic of whether to refrigerate tomato sauce.

'Ketchup, it says for best results, keep in the fridge. It helps preserve the flavour,' one commented.

While another user asked: 'So we just going to ignore labels that say refrigerated after opening?'

'Didn’t Heinz literally put out a public service recently remind people they need to put their Ketchup up in the fridge,' a third replied.

According to a spokesperson from Heinz, their tomato sauce 'has to be in the fridge'.

Other users from around the world also insisted that chocolates need to be refrigerated, or they would melt.

'I live in Florida. I’m not leaving chocolate outside of the fridge,' one replied.

'Anyone who has experienced an Australian summer knows you have to refrigerate chocolate and sauce,' another added.

While a third said: 'In my country, chocolate goes in the fridge because it literally melts outside.'

Key Takeaways

• Caroline Solomon listed six items that should not be stored in the refrigerator.
  • Among the items listed were chocolate, which she said chilling can lead to a grainy consistency, and tomato sauce, stating that it can safely be stored in the cupboard or the fridge.
  • Solomon also addressed the storage of garlic bulbs and olive oil. Chilled garlic can become rubbery, while olive oil can form crystals and solidify in the fridge.
  • Many viewers disagreed with Solomon's recommendations, especially on the topic of tomato sauce and chocolate storage.
Members, what do you think about these storage tips? Have you been making some of these fridge mistakes, or do you have your food storage guidelines? Share your thoughts and tips with us in the comments below!

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

It's usually considered items with a viniger base does not to be refigerated

Reactions: Littleboy8
When you think about organising your fridge, you probably focus on how to fit everything in a neat and accessible manner. ??? I don't have time for OCD .

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

I certainly keep chocolate in the fridge in summer - which is more than half the year in Queensland, where I live. I don’t like getting chocolate sauce all over my fingers!

With Basil, I grow my plants and near seasons end, take all the leaves of and freeze them. The basil actually seems better when frozen and I have a constant supply all year round. Same works with sage.

With Basil, I grow my plants and near seasons end, take all the leaves of and freeze them. The basil actually seems better when frozen and I have a constant supply all year round. Same works with sage.
So it does work goodo. I saw it on a cooking show but wasn’t sure😋

Things in my frig : Calamine Lotion, Witchhazel (great soother for sore eyes) spray on eu de toilette - all because I like them cold on me.

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

Store things where you think is best and also it really depends on the weather

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

Just one person's viewpoint. It might have some validity but in the end we all have to do what is best for us and if that is colds, solid less flavoursome chocolate and rubbery garlic...so be it.

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

Sauce possibly lasts longer in the fridge but it destroys a nice hot pie on a cold day.

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

I put chocolate in the fridge but I put it in the egg or vegie compartments, as it's not as cold in those parts or I use a small cooler bag to store the chocolate (fridge)

View attachment 33030

Key Takeaways

Keeping chocolate in the fridge is a necessity in tropical Australia unless you want chocky sauce instead..
I never put my bread or baked goods in the fridge..it makes them tough. I freeze and thaw what i need..it thaws out soft and yummy. Especially if you toss it in a low oven for a minute or two. And if you leave out tomato sauce it goes mouldy around the lid, in a very short time. Lots of stuff needs to be refrigerated out here that normally wouldn't be in colder climes.
- jacqui 🙂

hardly out of nappies and knows everything. I'm so sick of know alls who know nothing especially about life. If I know so little how in the name of heaven did I get to 81? Same goes for the big mouthed people of sport...the has beens . This mob need to get a proper Job.
Goes without saying and even the polititions are just as bad and unfortunately we have to vote them in only to discover they are idiots anyway!

• Haha
Reactions: wendell