I remember Christmas when I was young. My mother would put lots of things in a pillowcase. I was told the night before to not get up till after santa came but I was always up very early wanting to see what santa had left Ken Stubbs

I always remember getting an orange at Christmas time and never thought much of it as a child. Only when I was an adult I read about the giving of oranges during the depression which my mum lived through eating an apple core out of the gutter that I understood. Now my children and grandchildren get an orange each at Christmas time, so they can remember this terrible time in history.

My Nanny always made Plum Pudding 🍰 with Sixpences and Threepences. I am now 73 and I lost my Nanny a while ago but I still have her set of pudding Sixpences and Threepences. Miss her heaps.
my dear sweet mum used to do the same when I was a young boy...and she ALWAYS taped one sixpence to the outside bottom of the glass bowls that she served the 'pud' in.....don't know how many times that I fell for that trick in my early years....what a laugh trying to scrape up that last sixpence, but to no avail. Miss her to this day, and Dad and my dear Grandfather who I loved more than life itself. And somewhere tucked away amongst Family 'treasures' are those same 'zacs' and 'trays'....that's what Sixpences and Threepences were called back in the day. Merry Christmas 2023 everyone. 😉🎅🎄🎁

my dear sweet mum used to do the same when I was a young boy...and she ALWAYS taped one sixpence to the outside bottom of the glass bowls that she served the 'pud' in.....don't know how many times that I fell for that trick in my early years....what a laugh trying to scrape up that last sixpence, but to no avail. Miss her to this day, and Dad and my dear Grandfather who I loved more than life itself. And somewhere tucked away amongst Family 'treasures' are those same 'zacs' and 'trays'....that's what Sixpences and Threepences were called back in the day. Merry Christmas 2023 everyone. 😉🎅🎄🎁
😹😹😹😹to the pudding thingy loved to have seen that😋Good people and times stay with you forever.🤩

Reactions: magpie1
My favourite Christmas memories are when I was a kid all the family would be at my grandmothers home on Christmas morning we would exchange gifts with each other then later have a fantastic Christmas lunch that the various family members had each cooked or baked to share with everyone.
My Grandmother always made the plum pudding with threepence and sixpence in the pudding, plus the most amazing Christmas cake it was amazing to put it mildly.

Good times I will never forget.

Last edited:
My favourite Christmas memories are when I was a kid all the family would be at or grandmothers home on Christmas morning we would exchange gifts with each other then later have a fantastic Christmas lunch that the various family members had each cooked or baked to share with everyone. Good times I will never forget.
Aaaw😍so sweet

Reactions: saundy and magpie1
The evening of December 24th, 1961, I was an excited 6 year old boy knowing Santa would be coming soon.
This would be a Christmas Eve like no other.
My father had arranged for one of his work colleagues to dress up as Santa and climb the two flights of external stairs up to our large second floor concrete sundeck. My parents would ensure I was at the lounge room window just at the right time to see Santa come up the stairs and onto the deck. After I’d had a good look at Santa, I’d have to go straight to bed so Santa could come inside and put the presents around the tree.
Everything was going to plan when our phone rang. My grandmother was in hospital and she had taken a sudden turn for the worst.
We didn’t have a car so our neighbour drove mum and dad to the hospital.
My auntie was living downstairs and she came up to care for me for the night.
Unfortunately, my grandmother was gravely ill and in the instantaneous confusion of rushing to the hospital, mum and dad neglected to tell my auntie Santa would be on the sundeck later that night.
Sometime around 11pm auntie saw the silhouette of a strange looking person on the sundeck. She immediately phoned the Mosman Police who were only a short distance away.
Poor old Santa was arrested at the bottom of the stairs.
What a Christmas that was. It was the beginning of the decline of my grandmother and the police turned up at the hospital with Santa in tow to sort out Santa’s story.
I knew nothing of this until a few years later.
That story just got funnier as the years went by.

when I was 10 years old, I have 5 brothers and I was the only girl. It was the most beautiful Christmas, since the whole family was never together and that year I remember that it was the first Christmas that we were and I have photos of that day, not being all together was because my older brother lived in Oviedo and was the head chef of a restaurant. That was 65 years ago. And best of all, it came with many typical Christmas things

My nan used to do this every Christmas, a sixpence in a plum pudding.

I make fruit cake and place a $2 coin wrapped in foil .

I'm married to a Greek and they do similar for New years day but with a cake/ bread. I make it each year . You cut the first piece for the house. Then one piece each person and whoever gets the money is supposed to have luck for the year. I always wrap a $20 note in foil and pop it into the cake before it's baked
How do you hide a credit card in a Christmas pudding when we become cashless??

In the early sixties, I remember Christmas being so hot, that my Mum would precook the chicken, the night before, and we had it cold, with a salad. No Christmas pudding, too hot to light the wood stove, so we had red and green jelly with ice-cream.
My dad was a fire spotter at a local lookout tower, and was away all Christmas day. Consequently, Christmas dinner was enjoyed in the evening when he came home, and it was cooler!

My fondest memories of Christmas was the last Christmas I spent in Scotland with my grandparents, my uncle,my parents and my sisters.
This was the last time we were together as now six of them have passed. I now celebrate with my two sons and two grandsons. These celebrations are tinged with sadness.

Three Christmases ago I took my next door neighbour of 52 years, and my neighbour from opposite, down to Francis Park for Carols by Candle light. We had a wonderful time, singing Christmas carols and remembering our childhood Christmas celebrations. It wasn’t long after that my next door neighbour fell very ill, and despite many hospitalisations and rehab stays, she passed away just before last Christmas. I will forever cherish that time when we three were happy and enjoying the simple things of life, like singing Christmas carols.

We are so excited to launch our November Competition which is open to ALL SDC MEMBERS.

This one is extra special because it’s Christmas-themed for the holidays, AND we are drawing it in the first week of December, so the winner can use their $100 voucher to either Coles, Woolies, or IGA to help with the Christmas shopping!

Entering the competition is simple! We want to hear about your favourite Christmas memories. It can be any Christmas you remember. Maybe it was your childhood Christmas. Or maybe it was last year’s Christmas. Whatever it was, we want to hear about it!

Our favourite submission will win a $100 voucher to Coles, Woolworths or IGA.

We ran this competition last year and it was so beautiful to read the replies.

So, members, it’s time to get into the Christmas Spirit!

Entries close Thursday, November 30th 11:59 pm.

View attachment 33104
Image Credit: Shutterstock

Once upon a time when I was a wee child in the 1900s; I was waiting for Santa. It was the year I was going to finally meet Saint Nick. So I stayed up all night to my parents saying to me that it was Christmas Eve not Christmas so I tired to say up again but was so tired I fell asleep and as I woke finally on that real Christmas day with cookie crumbs all over me, and cotton balls beard tickling my nose from the side of the half drunk glass of milk. As I was basically covered in the food from Santa I was running around telling everyone I was Santas food and he had to come back for me. I think I was about 6-7 years old. And for some reason that Christmas has stayed with me all these years. I got my whole family involved in a family backyard cricket match that year...

Sadly I haven't had to time to celebrate Christmas for the past two years as it's getting to hard for me to visit the family house for Christmas and I'm am over everyone saying I'm dying from this blood and bone cancer. And how I see it is that we all die one day in the end so doesn't matter however you leave these plains. Just remember to enjoy every day with meaning because you never know when it's your last Christmas.
So many blessings from me to you and your families for a beautiful Christmas 2023 😇

Once upon a time when I was a wee child in the 1900s; I was waiting for Santa. It was the year I was going to finally meet Saint Nick. So I stayed up all night to my parents saying to me that it was Christmas Eve not Christmas so I tired to say up again but was so tired I fell asleep and as I woke finally on that real Christmas day with cookie crumbs all over me, and cotton balls beard tickling my nose from the side of the half drunk glass of milk. As I was basically covered in the food from Santa I was running around telling everyone I was Santas food and he had to come back for me. I think I was about 6-7 years old. And for some reason that Christmas has stayed with me all these years. I got my whole family involved in a family backyard cricket match that year...

Sadly I haven't had to time to celebrate Christmas for the past two years as it's getting to hard for me to visit the family house for Christmas and I'm am over everyone saying I'm dying from this blood and bone cancer. And how I see it is that we all die one day in the end so doesn't matter however you leave these plains. Just remember to enjoy every day with meaning because you never know when it's your last Christmas.
So many blessings from me to you and your families for a beautiful Christmas 2023 😇
Love the 🎅 story😍Merry Christmas to all of you🤶

Last edited:
Reactions: janj and Leenie

Loved your story and so very well said . I wanted to read more . Its these memories we hold close 😪 🥰

Xmas morning when I was about 5 yrs old my younger sister came into my parents bedroom and lifted her nightie and said dad look no pants ,we still laugh about it.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Xmas morning when I was about 5 yrs old my younger sister came into my parents bedroom and lifted her nightie and said dad look no pants ,we still laugh about it.
I don’t get it🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: maherdj