Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Nan’s Toaster and Jug

compressed-380648145_858976018923783_897672222912276286_n.jpeg
Image Credit: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who remembers these nifty little contraptions? This post on an online group led to a massive flood of comments from people saying they remember these quite well.

‘Loved these. My grandmother used these & would make hot chocolate & crumpets,’ one shared, as another added, ‘Mum burnt the toast a few times, and dad had to replace the heater in the jug a few times. Fun days.’

Do you have memories of this, too? Tell us below!

If you have similar memories, by all means, post on our Nostalgia/Yesterday's Australia forum!

Reactions: Littleboy8 and janj
I had a nasty experience with one of those toasters when I was 11. The bread wasn't toasting and the elements weren't glowing so what did I do?
Turned the bread around and touched the element with it.
BANG!!! I ended up getting thrown across the tiny kitchen and into the pantry.
That day I learnt what 240 volts was all about!

I had a nasty experience with one of those toasters when I was 11. The bread wasn't toasting and the elements weren't glowing so what did I do?
And no cut off switch back then. You were very lucky

We had these in our home as a boy and in my grandparents home too. My grandfather used to change the element in the jug when it wore out so it kept going for many years meaning it lasted. I still have them after we cleaned out our mum's house after she passed. They are in a box in the garage, couldn't bare to throw them away - museum pieces now.

Last edited:
Nan’s Toaster and Jug

View attachment 31015

Who remembers these nifty little contraptions? This post on an online group led to a massive flood of comments from people saying they remember these quite well.

‘Loved these. My grandmother used these & would make hot chocolate & crumpets,’ one shared, as another added, ‘Mum burnt the toast a few times, and dad had to replace the heater in the jug a few times. Fun days.’

If you have similar memories, by all means, post on our Nostalgia/Yesterday's Australia forum!
Mine was given as a wedding present 1960 and it still works.

I had one of these toasters when I moved out of home. I had a brain fade one day after using the toaster. I was washing up my plate and knife and picked up the toaster and dunked it in the water. After realising what I did I threw it out I didn't want to see if it was waterproofo_O

And no cut off switch back then. You were very lucky
I'm just really glad you lived to tell the tale, @Veggiepatch!

Reactions: Gsr and Veggiepatch
We had these in our home as a boy and in my grandparents home too. My grandfather used to change the element in the jug when it wore out so it kept going for many years meaning it lasted. I still have them after we cleaned out our mum's house after she passed. They are in a box in the garage, couldn't bare to throw them away - museum pieces now.
Sending you virtual hugs, @Benny's Light! I have a sentimental streak to me too and completely understand why throwing them out is the last thing you'd do.

Nan’s Toaster and Jug

View attachment 31015

Yes I still have a toaster like this, it's great for making toast. The only time I use a stove to make toast is when I need to place cheese, ham or other items on top to warm and melt them. The old fashioned ones were and still are the best.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Nan’s Toaster and Jug

View attachment 31015

Yes had one and it made the best crumpets