March 2024 Pension Indexation: What to Expect

As the calendar pages turn, we find ourselves looking towards March. If you’re one of the over 2.5 million Australians who receive the Age Pension, you’re likely eager to know how much extra money you can expect in your account after the next pension indexation.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I live in Public Housing and as soon as we get a rise they take 25% back for rent and 25% for water so why bother giving it to us in one hand and out the other .Not every Pensioner is fortuate enough to own their homes .
I own my own home which is a caravan and I don’t know how long I will be able stay here because it is slowly bit by bit falling apart.

I think the aged pension was a privilege given to many by the previous governments. Super was introduced 30 odd years ago at 1 per cent, Our children won't have this they have to contribute towards their old age early in their working life. The UK and many countries overseas have had a Super/Pension scheme for 65 years. The government needs to look at Politicians salary/pension. Why can't they put aside huge amounts towards their salary like everyone else does. DO THEY NEED A POLITICIAN'S PENSION?? Also a closer look at the A..ho..s that cheat the system don't work for years, single mothers that believe we should support them and their many children.
The Aged Pension was NEVER a privilege!
This was a RIGHT for all people from previous generations who contributed to that pension from their own wages/salaries, certainly in the UK.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
As a full-time age pensioner, tax cuts or increases mean little to me. Cost of living, though, is at the forefront. Despite all the hot air coming from Absentese and Charmless, there is not a whisper in respect of pensions. A simple comparison may help them focus (not).
My pension (including rent and other assistance) has increased by $180 per fortnight since January 2021. My rent has increased by $240 per fortnight in the same period. That, on its own, is currently an out-of-pocket expense of $60 a fortnight. Many other expense increases have occurred as well, like food and fuel etc.
There is to be a so-called "cost-of-living" adjustment made in March and another "step" adjustment in September. These will probably be in the vicinity of $20 per fortnight but not take into account the additional costs in the intervening periods.
Perhaps the pension should be indexed along with wages (retrospectively would be good). Maybe some of the funds given to Hamas could come our way, hmm?
Well said it’s time Albosleezy looked after Australian pensioners who have worked & paid taxed .. ( the baby boomers built this country ) than keep giving money away to other countries or bring in any more immigrants from any country .

I am SO excited about proposed increase in aged pension. My rent has just gone up $50 a week, let alone cost of living increases. I have been paying 72% of my aged pension for rent and at aged 70years, still working in order to continue survive for basics only. Lose 42 % in the $ in tax, and 50 c in the $ in aged pension if I earn more than $150 week. Just gets harder and harder. Prison is tempting option - free board and lodging. Come on, give us a break!

Reactions: mylittletibbies
NO..... we need thinking people like you.. please don't go.......
I wonder if there has been any work done on that subject.... some of the people out the would be surprised.....
I agree with you 100%... indiscriminate breeding I call it.....
I meant bye bye to the person I was answering, they said they were cancelling their SDC membership because of comments like mine.
Many people just don't understand how large a problem cheating on the single mothers pension is.
I have mentioned many times about my stepdaughters and now all their offspring who have all made this a lifestyle choice.
All have lived with guys (not single) one who had 5 children all who have birth certificates stating father unknown. Two have two children each to the same guy . We no longer have any contact with them, the whole situation is too distressing for my husband.
All their friends also live the same lifestyle. Centrelink do not have the staff to keep control of this situation. Over the years they have all been investigated, some on numerous occasions, but nothing ever happens. They all know their way around the system
The girls are now all on Jobseeker but their daughter's are all proudly carrying on the family tradition.
Can you imagine the astronomical amount of taxpayers money that has, and still is, being paid out to these people.
One stepdaughter had her first child at 15, then four more, 3 different father's. Lived on single mums pension the whole time. She's now 51 and has been on the dole ever since. None of them have ever worked a day in their lives that I am aware of
Too many loopholes and privacy laws for them to all wangle their way through.

Not a tinkers cuss... they are trying to starve the old people to death..... make life as difficult as possible so we all COMPLY with what is coming...... get my drift...
and I fight back all the time and I am always drifting but I guess that comes with the age

Reactions: IAN3005
I noticed in yesterday's paper that the public service fat cats have just been awarded a $50,000/year rise, almost $1,000/week, now earning most of them in excess of $500,000 per year. On top of that they were also awarded a $3,000 cost of living allowance, really "a cost of living" allowance. Poor darlings must be really struggling.
This was the WA paper.
Less than $10/week for pensioners. I don't know how our pollies, etc sleep at night.
The whole situation is absolutely disgusting.

I noticed in yesterday's paper that the public service fat cats have just been awarded a $50,000/year rise, almost $1,000/week, now earning most of them in excess of $500,000 per year. On top of that they were also awarded a $3,000 cost of living allowance, really "a cost of living" allowance. Poor darlings must be really struggling.
This was the WA paper.
Less than $10/week for pensioners. I don't know how our pollies, etc sleep at night.
The whole situation is absolutely disgusting.
They sleep like babies........

Maybe modest but welcome any way. Dont for get we are also in for an additional electricity help of $125 in FebI really do hop
Any increase is gratefully received, however my rent will go up as well. As well as everything else.
and Owning Your own home isn't great also with Rates and Insurances going sky high. I am finding that many Grocery items are nearly doubling in price. and with Fuel prices the way they are and living about 100 klms from a city and having no public transportation, the cost of going anywhere is expensive.. Bugbuyer

Having applied over 6 months ago for an aged pension, I would like even the paltry increase at the moment! I've yet to receive a cent. Ridiculous.
Be the customer from hell......after two weeks of no action ring then twice a week... if that doesn't work ring them every day.....if that doesn't get any action ring them every hour.

As a single, yes another estimated $39 a month isn't alot and HEY IT DOES make a difference. Let's be Appreciative we get even this. Many countries, the world over, get very little Assistance orvNOTHING! 😉

Be the customer from hell......after two weeks of no action ring then twice a week... if that doesn't work ring them every day.....if that doesn't get any action ring them every hour.
OR Relax as much as you can and TRUSTVit IS coming and will be back-dated. WHAT WE Choose to GIVE our ENERGY too, will either delete us OR bring some Calm - the choice is ours. Ie What we Focus on is WHAT we Create more of 😉😘

I live in Public Housing and as soon as we get a rise they take 25% back for rent and 25% for water so why bother giving it to us in one hand and out the other .Not every Pensioner is fortuate enough to own their homes .
With the rising cost of insurance and rates and maintenance, owning a house has its costs. Our house insurance, cos we live in northern Queensland has gone up $800 a year for 3 years in a row. We pay 40% of our monthly income in house insurance and rates. And it's only going to get worse. We had to put in a new toilet system this year and make other repairs on the house. It all adds up. I feel for renters cos it's so expensive, but we home owners are also struggling.

OR Relax as much as you can and TRUSTVit IS coming and will be back-dated. WHAT WE Choose to GIVE our ENERGY too, will either delete us OR bring some Calm - the choice is ours. Ie What we Focus on is WHAT we Create more of 😉😘
You have to keep them awake.......

I am on jobseeker and I would love to have a job that would pay my rent, electricty, water. I am not one of those lazy so called dole bludgers I have medical issues which stop me from being employed again. I have worked all my adult life except when I had my son 32 years ago ( for a year I was home) I was made redundant in 2015 and since then have suffered migraines and carpal tunnel in both hands...
I was happy to receive the small increase as paying private rent and getting rent assistance which helps with my payments I still find it hard at times especially when my rent goes up by $25 a week extra. But my son and I have to live somewhere and cannot live with my elderly Mum. So as much as I receive I am left with around $100 a fortnight and that is suppose to cover food, electricity and water. I am lucky I am not on more medications than I am or else I wouldn't be able to get them, I am lucky though that my son is living with me and helps me out every fortnight.
I grinds my gears when I see that the politicians who do not have to worry about rent etc etc get pay increases..... I honestly would like to see them live on what pensioners etc rely on.
As for single parents I have my own views on that matter only going to say that I had a close friend who had babies all the time just to get money from Centrelink, and she was proud of it... I told her she is scamming the system she told me tough.... last I heard her oldest daughter had her 3rd child....

With the rising cost of insurance and rates and maintenance, owning a house has its costs. Our house insurance, cos we live in northern Queensland has gone up $800 a year for 3 years in a row. We pay 40% of our monthly income in house insurance and rates. And it's only going to get worse. We had to put in a new toilet system this year and make other repairs on the house. It all adds up. I feel for renters cos it's so expensive, but we home owners are also struggling.
I wouldn't own a house now... the cowboys who put them together should be behind bars. There is a licensed building inspector who does videos on non-compliance and that is an eye-opener.

I wouldn't own a house now... the cowboys who put them together should be behind bars. There is a licensed building inspector who does videos on non-compliance and that is an eye-opener.
Our house was built in part by my Hubby in that the walls were done by a bricklayer but the rest by Hubby, his Dad and his BIL with building inspectors there regularly. Block bricks inside and out, and at the time that the new rules for roofing for cyclone areas was about to come in Hubby not only complied to that but did extra. He tells me our roof will never come off. This was all before he even met me. All our flexi-hoses have a tap to turn off when we are out and we have other safety measures in place cos we know insurance will use any excuse to not pay out when something goes wrong with your home. We live in an age where pride in one's work is nowhere near what it used to be years ago. I'm glad we're older cos I would hate to see what the world will look like when our grandkids are in their 40s and 50s. I love in a small community and the new house build around the corner from us a few years ago was a nightmare from what we heard and the builder had to return over and over again to fix things that were not done right when the owners during building complained to the relevant departments.