March 2024 Pension Indexation: What to Expect

As the calendar pages turn, we find ourselves looking towards March. If you’re one of the over 2.5 million Australians who receive the Age Pension, you’re likely eager to know how much extra money you can expect in your account after the next pension indexation.

Last edited:
Sponsored
indexation is a joke
the cost of living is WORKED out by adding up the actual cost if living and dividing it up by 6
NOW THERE IS YOUR ANSWER
HOW ELSE CAN THEY COME UP WITH %5 FOR THE YEAR
LOOK AT THE PROFIYS OF EVERY BUSSINNESS THAT PEOPLE RELY ON
HAS ELECTRICIY ONLY GONE UP %5 WHAT ABOUT GAS ONLY UP %5 percent
i doubt it
DID WOOLIES ,COLES ONLY MAKE %5profit
how about fuel
how about council rates that single parents and the unemployed generally do not pay The way indexation is worked out is a joke that only benefits the govt HOW IS IT INDEXATION IS WORJKED OUT TO A FORMULA AND THEIR IS A DIFFERENT FORMULA FOR THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE MOTHERS [%92are women} ISNT THAT DISCRIMINATION

Hi there,s
Just for interest sake how does this suggested increase of 1.8% compare with the increases that our Federal politicians receive?
Why is their increase in salary not increased with the same method as the pension?
Lets try and be fair for a change without having one rule for the poor and another for the privileged.
If they wish to "save a bit" They could always shut the subsidized bar at parliament house so that the poor underpaid pollies and their

hangers on have to pay the same price as us poor pensioners.
Alan

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I live in Public Housing and as soon as we get a rise they take 25% back for rent and 25% for water so why bother giving it to us in one hand and out the other .Not every Pensioner is fortuate enough to own their homes .
I, and many others are skipping meals so we can scrape up enough to pay these@#%@#!**ing money grabbing realestate agents & l/lords PLUS ALL OUR UTILITIES &KEEPING THE AGEING BOMB ON THE ROAD. AND MY RENT IS ABOUT TO GO UP $50 P/W. FOR THIS TINY R/S DUMP. SURROUNDED BY R/S NEIGHBOURS

The poor pensioner always gets it in he neck, $14.00 is going to do stuff all. It is amazing, the politicians can give themselves a hefty payrise each year, but don't give a dam about pensioners who have paid high taxes during their working life and are now treated like low life. Bloody Disgusting. 🤬😠

Ok, I know times are tough but for a single aged pensioner, our pension rises are a lot better than the raise’s we got from the previous government, who kept their feet firmly on our head’s to keep us in our place. It’s hard enough to to make your pension spin out but it would have been impossible if they’d had their way. The old catch cry was, well you’ve got your super too help you out and yes some do but there are a lot more who don’t.

Well I would like to see us pensioners get the rise the politicians are going to sneak through for themselves and politicians to get nothing as they are already overpaid for doing nothing much at all except acting like a bunch of squabbling apes.
Politicians will ALWAYS grant themselves pay increases in preference to giving age pensioners any increase! GREED IS THE ONLY MOTIVATION TO BECOME A POLITICIAN IN AUSTRALIA!

Vote Liberal and you vote for self-centred, selfish, greed motivated, jobs for the boys CLUB!

I receive just the age pension and I couldn’t keep up with basic utilities for my small home. ( rates, electricity, water, insurance and running my small car)
Disappointing!

I live in Public Housing and as soon as we get a rise they take 25% back for rent and 25% for water so why bother giving it to us in one hand and out the other .Not every Pensioner is fortuate enough to own their homes .
It’s not necessarily fortunate that people own their own homes. I own mine but went without to get it. I realised I would need a roof over my head and so it was my priority to make sure (at the cost of having some luxuries) that I scratched enough for a deposit in my youth

I always thought the March increase was based on the previous September CPI and then the following September it was based on the March CPI for that current year. Off course I am going by what used to happen years ago but in this day off computers the calculations are more up to date so let's see what happens. Maybe they might give us a cash bonus as well just like Rudd did way back when he first came into office.

I do feel sorry for those who are renting though no matter how much the rise is it still won't be enough to help cover their rental costs.

Reactions: Gsr
It’s not necessarily fortunate that people own their own homes. I own mine but went without to get it. I realised I would need a roof over my head and so it was my priority to make sure (at the cost of having some luxuries) that I scratched enough for a deposit in my youth
I do agree with you there we still have to pay, rates, electricity, home insurance and repairs to the home etc so really as I try and keep my head above water I await the next home insurance rise which will be a doozy given all the disasters we've endured this year so far.

So the government can’t afford to keep supporting older residents who worked and paid taxes for most of their lives, the solution is easy. Stop the ex politicians pensions, travel perks, free offices and probably staff, free chauffeur driven cars. These are people who have usually been born into wealth, have lived the high life off the public purse while in office, have stashed large super funds courtesy of the taxpayers, own million dollar mansions and numerous other properties, go on to earn huge salaries in the corporate world after they leave politics. Why do us taxpayers have to fund millions of dollars of pensions, other benefits after they leave politics. Most of them don‘t in any way qualify for a pension, they fail the age test, the assets test, the income test. The first prime minister who has the balls to change this outdated rip off of the taxpayers would I’m sure be in power for many years, as many people would keep voting for him/her. Stopping all these unnecessary, undeserved rorts would save millions, it would be more than enough to fund everyday services Australia clients so they could live above the poverty line and there would still be millions left over to wipe out any budget deficit, the country should always be in surplus. Unfortunately I don’t envisage this will ever happen, greed and politicians go hand in hand.

So the government can’t afford to keep supporting older residents who worked and paid taxes for most of their lives, the solution is easy. Stop the ex politicians pensions, travel perks, free offices and probably staff, free chauffeur driven cars. These are people who have usually been born into wealth, have lived the high life off the public purse while in office, have stashed large super funds courtesy of the taxpayers, own million dollar mansions and numerous other properties, go on to earn huge salaries in the corporate world after they leave politics. Why do us taxpayers have to fund millions of dollars of pensions, other benefits after they leave politics. Most of them don‘t in any way qualify for a pension, they fail the age test, the assets test, the income test. The first prime minister who has the balls to change this outdated rip off of the taxpayers would I’m sure be in power for many years, as many people would keep voting for him/her. Stopping all these unnecessary, undeserved rorts would save millions, it would be more than enough to fund everyday services Australia clients so they could live above the poverty line and there would still be millions left over to wipe out any budget deficit, the country should always be in surplus. Unfortunately I don’t envisage this will ever happen, greed and politicians go hand in hand.
When these politicians leave parliament they really should not get a pension they should have to live off their superannuation they certainly should not be be getting lurks & perks when they leave they should have to keep working like all us other s**t kickers 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡.