KFC just went cashless in Australia—What's the next move for other fast-food giants?

It looks like KFC is leading the change to cashless payment systems as the company becomes the first major fast food chain to adopt them across select stores in New South Wales.

KFC’s move to card-only payments has sparked discussions amongst other leading competitors, such as McDonald’s, Hungry Jack's, Domino's and Red Rooster, over whether they will follow suit.

Macca's have stated that they have 'no plans to go cashless at this stage', with Red Rooster affirming they have 'no intention of going cashless in the near future'.

Domino's also said that going cashless was 'not currently something [they] are looking at doing', while Hungry Jack's confirmed they still accept both cash and card and did not comment on whether they will be moving towards a cashless payment system.

card.jpg
Some KFC stores have gone cashless, but other fast-food giants will not be following suit anytime soon. Image source: gpointstudio on Freepik.

Forging a cashless payment system can be pretty inconvenient for customers. However, it is not actually illegal.

As long as a store clearly states its payment options in signs, they are legally allowed to do this—as confirmed by the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC).

'Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business not to accept cash,' said the ACCC.

When directly questioned, KFC previously reported that the decision to go cashless is 'at the discretion of our franchise partners and is in line with legal requirements.'

This story comes after the news that one KFC location in Morriset, New South Wales, decided to become completely 'cashless'.

The move has ignited a heated debate among customers, especially those outraged by the decision.

'I thought this wouldn’t be allowed, and (that) cash would be accepted everywhere,' one man wrote on social media.

'How long do you think it will be before all shops and everything in between stop cash transactions?' he asked.

Another commenter wrote: 'I think people should fight back so we don’t lose [the cash option].'

On the other side of the coin, some people believed this would ensure the safety of the branch’s staff.

'As someone who worked in a retail store that got robbed and had a co-worker who was held at knifepoint while the robber demanded she empty the cash register, I’m on the side of the business on this decision,' one shared.

'It is also about minimising the risk to staff through avoiding armed robbery,' a second remarked.

Member @Jest said: 'Well at least they will not get thieves into their cash. Always a good thing.'

While member @Sherza said: 'Guess KFC is off the menu for me then.'

'I had a Zinger burger at the beginning of the year. That's it,' Member @Veggiepatch added.

And Member @Lia shared: 'The KFC at Fulham Gardens is also cashless. Terrible. Why was this allowed?'

You can read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways
  • KFC is the first major fast food chain to go cashless in Australia, with some of its stores in New South Wales adopting the system.
  • Other major fast food chains, including McDonald's, Red Rooster, and Domino's, have stated they currently have no plans to go cashless.
  • While a cashless payment system may be inconvenient for some customers, it is not illegal as long as stores clearly communicate their payment options according to the ACCC.
  • KFC said the decision to move towards a cashless system falls under the discretion of their franchise partners and that it aligns with legal requirements.
Members, what are your thoughts on KFC’s move towards going cashless? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
It looks like KFC is leading the change to cashless payment systems as the company becomes the first major fast food chain to adopt them across select stores in New South Wales.

KFC’s move to card-only payments has sparked discussions amongst other leading competitors, such as McDonald’s, Hungry Jack's, Domino's and Red Rooster, over whether they will follow suit.

Macca's have stated that they have 'no plans to go cashless at this stage', with Red Rooster affirming they have 'no intention of going cashless in the near future'.

Domino's also said that going cashless was 'not currently something [they] are looking at doing', while Hungry Jack's confirmed they still accept both cash and card and did not comment on whether they will be moving towards a cashless payment system.

View attachment 31037
Some KFC stores have gone cashless, but other fast-food giants will not be following suit anytime soon. Image source: gpointstudio on Freepik.

Forging a cashless payment system can be pretty inconvenient for customers. However, it is not actually illegal.

As long as a store clearly states its payment options in signs, they are legally allowed to do this—as confirmed by the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC).

'Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business not to accept cash,' said the ACCC.

When directly questioned, KFC previously reported that the decision to go cashless is 'at the discretion of our franchise partners and is in line with legal requirements.'

This story comes after the news that one KFC location in Morriset, New South Wales, decided to become completely 'cashless'.

The move has ignited a heated debate among customers, especially those outraged by the decision.

'I thought this wouldn’t be allowed, and (that) cash would be accepted everywhere,' one man wrote on social media.

'How long do you think it will be before all shops and everything in between stop cash transactions?' he asked.

Another commenter wrote: 'I think people should fight back so we don’t lose [the cash option].'

On the other side of the coin, some people believed this would ensure the safety of the branch’s staff.

'As someone who worked in a retail store that got robbed and had a co-worker who was held at knifepoint while the robber demanded she empty the cash register, I’m on the side of the business on this decision,' one shared.

'It is also about minimising the risk to staff through avoiding armed robbery,' a second remarked.

Member @Jest said: 'Well at least they will not get thieves into their cash. Always a good thing.'

'I had a Zinger burger at the beginning of the year. That's it,' Member @Veggiepatch added.

And Member @Lia shared: 'The KFC at Fulham Gardens is also cashless. Terrible. Why was this allowed?'

Key Takeaways

• KFC is the first major fast food chain to go cashless in Australia, with some of its stores in New South Wales adopting the system.
  • Other major fast food chains, including McDonald's, Red Rooster, and Domino's, have stated they currently have no plans to go cashless.
  • While a cashless payment system may be inconvenient for some customers, it is not illegal as long as stores clearly communicate their payment options according to the ACCC.
  • KFC said the decision to move towards a cashless system falls under the discretion of their franchise partners and that it aligns with legal requirements.
Members, what are your thoughts on KFC’s move towards going cashless? Let us know in the comments below!

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

L.p.

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

Although I understand and feel for the people robbed at knife point etc dropping cash is not the solution. Those offenders probably co me from broken homes. Not always. The point is society, family and individuals are all broken and the only way to fix it is by returning to having God the Centre of our lives and family and society.
Then we won’t need to go cashless which might save a few C robberies. How many businesses in Australia have cash and how many of them get robbed at knife point etc. I think it’s less than 1%.

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

I personally don’t carry a lot of cash on me, but there have been times when there have been outages and luckily I’ve had cash to pay. Plus a lot of the elderly only carry cash. I think it’s wrong to go cashless for any business.

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

I personally don’t carry a lot of cash on me, but there have been times when there have been outages and luckily I’ve had cash to pay. Plus a lot of the elderly only carry cash. I think it’s wrong to go cashless for any business.
That's OK l never liked KFC anyway

• Haha
Reactions: croz and DiRose
Fine…..but what about the poor people or the homeless or anyone else that doesn’t even have a bank account…..those people who rely on the kindness of strangers…….how can there possibly be a cashless society as long as these unfortunate people exist.

Going cashless is giving away all your control. The Banks and the Government will soon be telling you exactly what you are ALLOWED to buy. My father did not fight in the war to allow the Government to sell us out, but it's happening. Cashless.png

Reactions: Shane/# and croz
GRRrr! This is only the beginning......!

NOT HAPPY JAN....!
I have started a group called cash in Australia on Facebook. We hope to list all places that are cashless. It will hopefully bring p pressure for them to keep cash. It’s only started 2 days ago but please feel free to join. It will get bigger and carry more weight. We have to stand up against the tide that’s against us.

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

It is against the Law to refuse CASH in return for what ever a retail business selling.... FEDERAL LAW not any state.

Reactions: Gsr and Shane/#

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

KFC? No more chook for me!
Go to IGA and get the whole fowl for $10, devour it in the parks and gardens. Better value for the bird than KFC gives you, and they've gotten too dear anyway!

View attachment 31037

Key Takeaways

Bloody dickheads internet banking goes down no payment method real smart thinking NOT bye bye DIRTY BIRD (KFC) won't be bothering with your food 🤔can you call it food 🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣