JobSeeker base rate hike announced to address inflationary pressures

Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 9.52.49 AM.png
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

1690854166307.png

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?

Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

View attachment 26307
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!
Surely it is better to have people work more if they can. Less impost on the budget. More tax into the pot. More super savings for the the worker plus he/she will be working their way back into a permanent place in the workplace.

No one can live and survive on jobseeker.

I have worked all my life until I had a simple gallbladder operation in Nov 2019 , he also decided to remove a umbilical hernia , this was the start of my nightmare.
He used recalled mesh that was recalled 5 years prior and stitched and stappled it to my small and large bowel loops resulting in chronic infection
I ended up losing my whole umbilicus and alot of abdominal wall . I'm now suffering severe nerve pain plus other stomach problems through this I now suffer severe depression and anxiety.
I am 61 and can't work, some days I don't leave my room.

There is no sickness benefits and after using my savings up I had no choice but to go on jobseeker .
I applied in beginning of February for DSP and still waiting to hear from them.

I was one of those that asked why are these people on the dole and not looking for work.

I've learnt now that no one can live on $320 aweek . If I could work I would but unfortunately my body isn't letting me

Last edited:

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

This whole Jobseeker thing makes me so angry.....sure there are many eligible people, especially older people that deserve this payment if they genuinely can't work for one reason or another, but why don't the Government pay the Dole to young people to learn something, preferably a trade of some kind, rather than pay them to sit at home or hang around the streets!! Beggars belief how easy it is for these young people who are too lazy to work, to claim the Dole and make Centrelink believe they are looking for work. They're going to have a lifetime of being on benefits because they're not learning anything...where's the encouragement for them to get of their arse and work for the small businesses that can't find employees, if the Govt keep giving them more money to do nothing.

This whole Jobseeker thing makes me so angry.....sure there are many eligible people, especially older people that deserve this payment if they genuinely can't work for one reason or another, but why don't the Government pay the Dole to young people to learn something, preferably a trade of some kind, rather than pay them to sit at home or hang around the streets!! Beggars belief how easy it is for these young people who are too lazy to work, to claim the Dole and make Centrelink believe they are looking for work. They're going to have a lifetime of being on benefits because they're not learning anything...where's the encouragement for them to get of their arse and work for the small businesses that can't find employees, if the Govt keep giving them more money to do nothing.
You can't live on the dole and I can't see people making this life choice unless they are living together in groups.

It's very hard for me abd I have no rent or mortgage , if I did I would be living either with one of my kids or on the street.

I think there definitely is people on the dole abd not deserving and I think these people are probably working and cheating the government.

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

What about the Disability Support Pension?

the number of signs we see in our local area looking for staff are quite common so somebody is having a lend of us.The so called inflation rate seems to be caused by government action or inaction .The reserve bank putting the interest rate up flows through to every producer business and raw materials.The latest energy bill is a good example ours was up by $125 which is similar amount to what the government is giving to assist child care a similar story .Albos problem seem to be bad decisions and adding to rising costs.We have the best coal gas and uranium deposits not being used because of the zero emission agenda but ok to sell overseas so they can have more industry which creates more employment.South Australia energy a joke Victoria no gas and closing power stations NSW Liddell power station closed and Queensland Callide partially out for nearly 2 years but record revenue from exports and most expensive energy for Australians.One wonders WHAT clowns are running this country wasting money to cover THEIR mistakes.

What's in it for pensioners do they get a similar rise , the job seekers getting a $56 rise overall when the best welfare is a job I understand that people maybe burnt out because of the work they did over many years but there are other dole people that will not look for work now As why look for job when being paid so much I'LL STAY BED this what some will think

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

Seeing is believing

How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?
There are a lot of people receiving Jobseeker who are working, but not earning over the limit to receive some payment. Many employers are addicted to the flexibility of keeping people as casuals (remember a couple of weeks ago when businesses screamed blue murder about possible changes to the rules about casual vs permanent?)

It is worth keeping in mind also that unemployment of around 4-5% has been for many years regarded as "full employment" for the purposes of keeping inflation under control by suppressing wage demands.

Surely it is better to have people work more if they can. Less impost on the budget. More tax into the pot. More super savings for the the worker plus he/she will be working their way back into a permanent place in the workplace.
As was outlined yesterday, an increase in the amount able to be earned would mean a lot more people would be eligible for some payment, putting an impost (I don't know the figures involved) on the budget, while those without any paid work would not receive any increase at all.

I agree with Bill.
I live in the country and there's a lot of small businesses looking for staff. Young People just don't want to work when they can do whatever they to do and get paid by the government

I have never been on a centrelink payment here or in NZ until I applied for the aged pension. There is a whole generation, perhaps 2 generations now who have never known anything but and never worked a day in their lives and I think that is a disgrace. They have openly interviewed young people on tv who would sooner surf every day and get the dole. It just should not be allowed. Able bodied people can all be doing something and there are plenty of jobs out there. Cut their payments and make them take them, life is far too easy and that is where crime comes in. Idle hands. We could solve several problems in one hit if only the politicians would make some hard choices.

No one can live and survive on jobseeker.

I have worked all my life until I had a simple gallbladder operation in Nov 2019 , he also decided to remove a umbilical hernia , this was the start to my nightmare.
He used recalled mesh that was recalled 5 years prior and stitched and stappled it to my small and large bowel loops resulting in chronic infection
I ended up losing my whole umbilicus and akot of abdominal wall . I suffering severe nerve pain plus other stomach problems through this I now suffer severe depression and anxiety.
I am 61 and can't work, some days I don't leave my room.

There is no sickness benefits and after using my savings up I had no choice but to go on jobseeker .
I applied in beginning of February for DSP and still waiting to hear from them.

I was one off those that asked why are these people on the dole and not looking for work.

I've learnt now that no one can live on $320 aweek . If I could work I would but unfortunately my body isn't letting me
I’m in your situation also at 65 might as well be dead chronic pain life sucks👎

Lucky you😁

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways