JobSeeker base rate hike announced to address inflationary pressures

Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 9.52.49 AM.png
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

1690854166307.png

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Jobseeker doesn't mean you are seeking a job. After a stroke I received jobseeker payment until doctor declared me fit to work again. Lucky I recovered nearly 100%

Reactions: Littleboy8
I use to get medical certificates every 3 months for my chronic migraines till one day the woman at Centelink told me it's not allowed after 3 times so something chronic apparently is not acceptable after a certain amount of time and when I got carpal tunnel first in my right hand and then later in my left hand and needed certificates I just asked my Dr to do what he seemed appropriate and now that I'm still waiting to get to see the surgeon ( 2 or more year waiting list as it's elective surgery) I am now back to seeing my job network who happen to be really caring about this situation. Just now need to find somewhere where I can do work placement for my Cert 3 Community Service.
Whether it happens before I eventually get this carpal tunnel sorted out I'm not holding mg breath.
Hope you are not in too much pain.
Thanks😁

Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

View attachment 26307
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!
Once again it would appear that is nothing for the pensioner, but plenty for the layabouts.

You (pensioners) get TWO pay increases each years, one in March and one in September.

It's about time that the dole is being increased as I cannot see how anybody can possibly survive on the small handout they're given while they seek new employment. Instead of pumping billions of dollars into jobseeker organisations, it would be much better to bring back the CES! Regardless of whether the jobseeker organisation is run by a charity or private companies, they are only interested in making as much money out of jobseekers as possible, to the extent that they blackmail individuals that have found a new job on their own, to give them credit for it or blacklist the jobseeker.
So job seekers get two cpi rises per year same as all welfare recipients so now they get 3 rises this year so does that mean pensioners shouldn't get an extra rise ,so job seekers can sleep in and not look for work

Reactions: darrel.j
Jim Charmless is also useless. The cost of living has risen out of all proportion under his watch and, typically, this Labor government makes loud noises about increases that won't cost the government huge amounts and don't provide relief to those in most need. I can't wait for Airbus Albo and his cronies to lose their "voice" and get turfed out of office.

Reactions: SandyM and Jethro99
There are a lot of people receiving Jobseeker who are working, but not earning over the limit to receive some payment. Many employers are addicted to the flexibility of keeping people as casuals (remember a couple of weeks ago when businesses screamed blue murder about possible changes to the rules about casual vs permanent?)

It is worth keeping in mind also that unemployment of around 4-5% has been for many years regarded as "full employment" for the purposes of keeping inflation under control by suppressing wage demands.
I do not understand why we have ANY unemployed persons in this country or is it they are holding out for the position of their dreams via a uni degree ........wake up people we are being brainwashed from the big circle in CANBRRRRRRA

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

I am an 84yo pensioner, married. I am currently doing freelance work for local IT company (Instead of a Filipino) but am, for this calendar year, capped at about $12k before losing $0.50 in the $$, reducing by $4k from Jan 1. I could easily double that and impact current skill shortages. Please agitate to at least double the Age Pension earnings allowance. Peter W. I will be paying $0.19 in the $$ tax, so what’s the issue?

It is always nice to know that a pensioner/carer gets a pay rise in September and March, sadly however that also comes with a rise in rent and with the current situation with fuel, food, heating and cooling increasing in cost, what is given is consumer before we even get the rise. Although we are lucky enough to live in a housing trust house in South Australia, having the rent increase by ten dollars every six months although seems like a small amount and we certainly are not paying what some people are having to pay if they can actually afford it as previously mentioned with everything else that is going up whatever we get is soon gone. I think what annoys me the most as I am sure it does many of us is that working for 30 or more years, paying taxes and then made to feel like we have to beg for a decent amount to live on.

How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?
Totally agree a few years back I tried to get a job I would have done anything most times when I questioned them I was told I was over qualified how stupid is that they ask you to put in a resume and then because of the resume I don't get offered a job so it's no wonder businesses can't get workers when they knock back so many

What's in it for pensioners do they get a similar rise , the job seekers getting a $56 rise overall when the best welfare is a job I understand that people maybe burnt out because of the work they did over many years but there are other dole people that will not look for work now As why look for job when being paid so much I'LL STAY BED this what some will think

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

No mention of Pensioners, which get increases 6 monthly automatically.

How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?
We automatically get a pension rise in September and March
i think ANNE RUSHTON IS NOT ONLY A LIAR BUT SHE IS DELIBERATELY TELLING US ALL AUSTRALIANS ARE STUPID.
WHERE IN THE WQRLD did she come up with %2.2inflation
DOES she shop
does she have a electricity bill
Doed she have a gas bill
did she get a low income pay rise
TELL ME WHICH COST OF LIVING EXPENCE WENT UP LESS THAN %2.2
SHOPPING UP %15 electricity up %25 gas up %20 pay rise for lowe incom earners up %3.5
howis it that dole bludgers are treated better than aged pensioners
THE ELDERLY LIVE ALONE GENERALLY WHILE DOLEYS EITHER STILL LIVE AT HOME OR SHARE A HOUSE and they are treated better than people who have worked all their lives and paid their way then this GOVT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES
ANNE RUSHTON TOLD ME THAT ALL CENTRELINC PAYMENTS ARE BASED ON A FORMULA AND NOW AS THIS IS THE THIRD OR FORTH PAYMENT DOLEYS HAVE RECEIVED MORE THAN THE AGED/ ON TOP OF THAT IN THE LAST 2 YEARS WHILE PENSIONERS HAVE NOT SEEN ANY EXTRA BENEFITSDOLEYS HAVE
.I MEAN IF DOLEYS NEED MORE THEN WHY ARENT THEY FORCED TO GET A JOB AND YET WHY SHOULD THEY, AFTER ALL, MOST ARE HAPPY LIVING OFF THE ELDERLYS CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY
I FEEL ANNE RUSHTON DISCRIMINATES THE EKDERLY FROM THE LAZY AT PENSIONERS EXPENCE AND THIS ALSO PROVES THE WOMAN IS AN OUT AND OUT LIAR
TELL ME DOES THIS BIGGER INCREASE GO TO SINGLE PARENTS AS WELL AND IF SO WHY

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Subduedshilo
May be the problem is the small business who are too picky

• Sad
Reactions: Subduedshilo
The reason there are so many people on unemployment is because the government is too soft. They need to put a stop to these lazy long term bums who have no reported income from taking advantage of the system.
Make it harder for them. Bring in the card for all those who don’t do any paid work at all so they have no cash to spend on things like drugs, alcohol, smokes and tattoos.
Better still, and I am a Hugh advocate of this one, CONSCRIPTION!!!!!!

I am very grateful for my aged pension. I would like to work a few hours to boost my income but for various reasons, I cannot. My question is how are genuine job seekers managing to survive? I live in a nice almost country setting and after I have paid my rent and electricity I have about $200.00 left to last me a fortnight after I pay a few more bills, buy minimum food and a couple of bits and pieces for my poor dog (my only companion) to eat there is not much left. I think the whole structure of pensions and other assistance payments is out of line with the structure required. In fact, talking about a balance in the budget of some $20 billion and then in the next breath saying we can't use it to make our citizens more comfortable, it's just laughable. Sorry, I am not being negative but there seems to be something wrong here.

I forgot to mention the "pay bump". A bump is generally recognised as something that occurs when a flat line has a sudden upsurge but then immediately reduces back to its flat line. Is that what we will be getting?

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

STUPIDITY!!!! They'd be better off giving it to disability and aged pensioners than those bludgers! Since the virus those without a job have been getting the cream of everything - more than disability or aged pensioners who REALLY do it tough! Jobseeker payments are supposed to make you get out and find a job - NOT be living so comfortable that you'd rather be so lazy and stay home without a job and still afford all the luxuries you could while you had a job!!!!
Whereas disability and aged pensioners still struggle to pay bills and buy food! IT IS DISGRACEFULL! Cut the jobseeker money back to before the virus's pay rate and see how many of the lazy sods go get a job then. Those the govt. chooses to neglect are the ones who can't for medical reasons or they have hit a well earned retirement and deserve the money more than those who are just to lazy/unwilling to go get a job.

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways