JobSeeker base rate hike announced to address inflationary pressures

Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 9.52.49 AM.png
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

1690854166307.png

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Make no mistake about it, times are tough for countless Australians due to the rising cost of living, and people on JobSeeker are certainly not exempt from the struggle.

That is why we here at the SDC are glad to report that this sector of our society will soon benefit from a bump in their payments to help them through these difficult times.

The JobSeeker rate is set to increase by up to an additional $40 a fortnight come September after a budget boost to its base rate. Including a six-monthly indexation increase of 2.2 per cent, this means that those on the JobSeeker allowance could be receiving up to an extra $56 per fortnight once the payment increase takes full effect.

Australians on Centrelink payments, such as the single-parenting income, however, will have to wait a little longer for news on how their payments will be altered due to cost-of-living pressures.

View attachment 26307
Australians on JobSeeker can expect a bump in their payments as the cost of living rises. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth, there are a few considerations yet to come into play.

'Some of the other measures like the pension and single parent payment have a choice of indexation measures,' she said, 'so we've got to work through those'.

High inflation is also being factored into these considerations, but any increase in payments must be weighed up against the budget's management.

Older Aussies who are eligible for higher JobSeeker payments can expect to receive up to $109 extra a fortnight when it kicks in in September.

With this, the federal government is also under pressure to further increase welfare payments and introduce cost-of-living assistance measures.

Though Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth foresaw a surplus of $20 billion for the last financial year, the treasurer decided to save that money due to long-term pressures on the budget.

Rishworth said that any changes to welfare payments had to be responsible, sustainable and ongoing.

'The changes we're making—whether it's to rent assistance, JobSeeker—are structural changes; they're ongoing increases that will be applied,' she said.

'So when you talk about the surplus from last year, that's a very different circumstance to the reforms that we've made, which are ongoing. We have calibrated these to be responsible for helping people that are doing it tough, but also that they're sustainable into the long-term.'

On the other hand, the opposition plans to undo the promised $40 increase to JobSeeker payments. Instead, they suggest raising the eligibility threshold, which they said would be more beneficial to a larger number of people and may save the government money.

The new higher payment is scheduled to take effect from September 20, but it is contingent on the government's safety net bill passing the Senate.

The Coalition, however, aims to modify the bill during its Senate consideration to reverse the $40 increase. Instead, they propose raising the threshold at which benefits start to be reduced by $150 per fortnight.

Shadow Social Services Minister Michael Sukkar stated that this alternative measure would save the budget a substantial $2.9 billion over the next four years.

'There are 808,000 JobSeeker recipients across the nation, of which more than 75 per cent have zero reported earnings, with no part-time work,' Mr Sukkar said.

'Increasing the income-free area before benefits are reduced incentivises those on working age payments to take up employment opportunities.'

The opposition will attempt to convince the Senate of their proposal, but they ultimately won't stand in the way of the rate increase if it proceeds.

Key Takeaways

• Australians on JobSeeker payments can expect a rise due to inflation and a budget boost, increasing the base rate by another $40 in September.
  • Recipients of other forms of Centrelink payments, like the single-parenting income, are still waiting to find out how their payments will be adjusted in light of the rising cost of living.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth stated that any considerations for welfare increase must be balanced with budget pressures and inflationary pressures.
  • Despite an expected budget surplus, the government faces pressure to increase welfare payments and formulate new cost-of-living assistance measures.
  • The Coalition has moved to reverse a lift to the base rate and instead lift the benefits cut-off point.

Members, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!
I understand budget constraints. I do NOT understand why they impose so heavily upon pensioners. Surely an ethical Labor government would see it as a much higher and fairer priority to recover the fraudulent jobkeeper payments made to the Harvey Normans and Geelong Colleges (et al) during the lockdowns. Surely an ethical Labor government would consider recovery of windfall profits by profiteering energy companies, to be a higher and fairer plan. Surely an ethical Labor government would consider feeding its elderly to be a higher priority than providing subsidies to fat cat American weapons corporations?
While Richard Marles is jetsetting his photo-op crew of wardrobe people, make-up people, hair people around the world, with no apparent budgetry constraints, it's a bit rich for pensioners to swallow the "no can do-fiscal restraints you know" bullshit from this super well-cut bunch of upper middle class Labor pseudo-savants.
Can and boil the lot of them, then send them to Ukraine as diet food for all those mercenary soldiers of fortune.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
I’m in your situation also at 65 might as well be dead chronic pain life sucks👎
Mate I was 60 when my life got turned upside down and I got $364 a fortnight I was in icu for 2weeks and on the ward for 2 weeks and I had to get out because of depression.I had to survive on what little supper I had it was not very much because i didn’t work for the Government and it wasn’t going very long for private enterprise and I still had to pay rates and live.As for the DSP I knew nothing about that and it took me 4.5 years before I could go back and work casual

Reactions: Littleboy8
There are a lot of people receiving Jobseeker who are working, but not earning over the limit to receive some payment. Many employers are addicted to the flexibility of keeping people as casuals (remember a couple of weeks ago when businesses screamed blue murder about possible changes to the rules about casual vs permanent?)

It is worth keeping in mind also that unemployment of around 4-5% has been for many years regarded as "full employment" for the purposes of keeping inflation under control by suppressing wage demands.
Yes you are right - basic Economics 101 is unemployment should sit at 5% otherwise inflation will run away. This is what has happened now and the skite over our very low unemployment and cry over the inflation rate - now the unions are making wage demands - this government doesn't have the nouse or the balls to address it.

Mate I was 60 when my life got turned upside down and I got $364 a fortnight I was in icu for 2weeks and on the ward for 2 weeks and I had to get out because of depression.I had to survive on what little supper I had it was not very much because i didn’t work for the Government and it wasn’t going very long for private enterprise and I still had to pay rates and live.As for the DSP I knew nothing about that and it took me 4.5 years before I could go back and work casual

How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?
I wonder that too??? They can't ALL be rocket scientists jobs.

Reactions: SandyM
I would happily go back to work. I’m an ex nurse. I’m 74 yrs butt have no medical issues. I’m sick of hearing about shortage of nurses. I’ve tried to get a job but no one will employ me. I was forced into retirement 10years ago but am happy to get any nursing job. I’m an ex Div1.

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

I can't understand why the Government is tying it's self in knots over these increases, just give the same amount of rises to everyone, all recipients of Social Services, and a tax relief of the same amount to workers . Before we jump up and down, it's a fact the Government will get 82% of increases back in taxes on goods and services, putting it simply we will spend the little increases straight away.

Reactions: siameezer

View attachment 26307

Key Takeaways

What I don't understand is WHY Jobseekers are getting an increase when nearly every business are seeking people to work in their establishment!!!! It may not be the work they want, BUT, it is WORK. The govt HAVE TO ***STOP** giving handouts to jobseekers, make them work for their money. In my day there was not any govt handouts for us. No work, NO money.. I was picking grapes with 3 kids to also take care of. Hated picking grapes BUT it was money. ***STOP THE ROT, NO WORK, NO PAY*** I see **workers ** needed in so many places, get out of bed and actively take a job in these places, instead of getting up to go to Centrelink to get the Jobseeker allowance.

How come there is 808,000 people on jobseeker when small business is suffering through staff being very hard to get and many are just walking away from their business. I was out of work a few years ago and I was at the recruitment office every morning asking why have they not found me a job yet. About 6 weeks later I was gainfully employed again and loved every minute that I worked for truly amazing bosses. Where is the incentive to work, there is none?
Fully agree, there is plenty of work out there. People have to STOP making excuses for these people who refuse to do just any job. WORK IS WORK, honest money earnt.

I’m in your situation also at 65 might as well be dead chronic pain life sucks👎
Plenty of jobs out there. Every day I see Workers Wanted signs in shop windows. If in chronic pain then you should be on an invalid pension, not Job seekers..I'm 76 and would also love to work except I have health issues too.

I am on Jobseeker I am 62 will be 63 this November. I suffer from chronic migraines and have not been able to work full time or even casual due to my migraines. I want to work again. My rent is close to all my payment from Centrelink and without help from my son and my elderly mum I'd be going to charities for food. I agree with young people not wanting to work the only thing they have to do is look for a certain amount of jobs to get their payments, that system is flawed as it can be manipulated example is looking for and applying for jobs that they will never have a chance of getting. My son has worked in various jobs and is just about finished a Cert 3 in Civil Construction Plant Operations that his service provider paid for. This is a guaranteed job prospect. As he said to me the other day at the end of this course there could be a job waiting for him.
If a person can work and there is a job out there for them without being discriminated against go for it but being an older person the chances are slim.

What I don't understand is WHY Jobseekers are getting an increase when nearly every business are seeking people to work in their establishment!!!! It may not be the work they want, BUT, it is WORK. The govt HAVE TO ***STOP** giving handouts to jobseekers, make them work for their money. In my day there was not any govt handouts for us. No work, NO money.. I was picking grapes with 3 kids to also take care of. Hated picking grapes BUT it was money. ***STOP THE ROT, NO WORK, NO PAY*** I see **workers ** needed in so many places, get out of bed and actively take a job in these places, instead of getting up to go to Centrelink to get the Jobseeker allowan
Plenty of jobs out there. Every day I see Workers Wanted signs in shop windows. If in chronic pain then you should be on an invalid pension, not Job seekers..I'm 76 and would also love to work except I have health issues too.
Too young for an invalid pension apparantely you have to be 67🙀Centrelink told me to keep suppling doc certificates every couple months👍Chronic pain is from a botched hip replacement due to my osteoarthritis walk with a wheelie walker! Bad back irreparable broken thumb etc! List could go on but what’s the point of complaining😾I live for my best friend my cat😻

Reactions: Elvenwishes
I think it's called Disability Support Pension , which is hard to get. My friend who is 63 now waited to get the Disability Support Allowance as she has many health issues. I can't get it as my chronic migraines are not classed bad enough... I average 1 to 3 a week but apparently it is only temporary and curable in 2 years yeap tell me that over 5 years ago.

Too young for an invalid pension apparantely you have to be 67🙀Centrelink told me to keep suppling doc certificates every couple months👍Chronic pain is from a botched hip replacement due to my osteoarthritis walk with a wheelie walker! Bad back irreparable broken thumb etc! List could go on but what’s the point of complaining😾I live for my best friend my cat😻oh yeah if it wasn’t for my family helping me with food etc I’d be in a real dilemma😁

I have never been on a centrelink payment here or in NZ until I applied for the aged pension. There is a whole generation, perhaps 2 generations now who have never known anything but and never worked a day in their lives and I think that is a disgrace. They have openly interviewed young people on tv who would sooner surf every day and get the dole. It just should not be allowed. Able bodied people can all be doing something and there are plenty of jobs out there. Cut their payments and make them take them, life is far too easy and that is where crime comes in. Idle hands. We could solve several problems in one hit if only the politicians would make some hard choices.
Spot on darrell. Govt too soft with some people.. Plenty of jobs out there, I see notices everyday in shop windows...

Reactions: SandyM
No one can live and survive on jobseeker.

I have worked all my life until I had a simple gallbladder operation in Nov 2019 , he also decided to remove a umbilical hernia , this was the start to my nightmare.
He used recalled mesh that was recalled 5 years prior and stitched and stappled it to my small and large bowel loops resulting in chronic infection
I ended up losing my whole umbilicus and akot of abdominal wall . I suffering severe nerve pain plus other stomach problems through this I now suffer severe depression and anxiety.
I am 61 and can't work, some days I don't leave my room.

There is no sickness benefits and after using my savings up I had no choice but to go on jobseeker .
I applied in beginning of February for DSP and still waiting to hear from them.

I was one off those that asked why are these people on the dole and not looking for work.

I've learnt now that no one can live on $320 aweek . If I could work I would but unfortunately my body isn't letting me
so very sorry for all you have and continue to go through

What's in it for pensioners do they get a similar rise , the job seekers getting a $56 rise overall when the best welfare is a job I understand that people maybe burnt out because of the work they did over many years but there are other dole people that will not look for work now As why look for job when being paid so much I'LL STAY BED this what some will think
You (pensioners) get TWO pay increases each years, one in March and one in September.

It's about time that the dole is being increased as I cannot see how anybody can possibly survive on the small handout they're given while they seek new employment. Instead of pumping billions of dollars into jobseeker organisations, it would be much better to bring back the CES! Regardless of whether the jobseeker organisation is run by a charity or private companies, they are only interested in making as much money out of jobseekers as possible, to the extent that they blackmail individuals that have found a new job on their own, to give them credit for it or blacklist the jobseeker.

Young, able-bodied males and females should be given 3 months to find a job, or be conscripted into the military for a period of 5 years. When that 5 years are up, they will have been trained and have a work ethic. It's not hard, really!

UI Too young for an invalid pension apparantely you have to be 67🙀Centrelink told me to keep suppling doc certificates every couple months👍Chronic pain is from a botched hip replacement due to my osteoarthritis walk with a wheelie walker! Bad back irreparable broken thumb etc! List could go on but what’s the point of complaining😾I live for my best friend my cat😻

I use to get medical certificates every 3 months for my chronic migraines till one day the woman at Centelink told me it's not allowed after 3 times so something chronic apparently is not acceptable after a certain amount of time and when I got carpal tunnel first in my right hand and then later in my left hand and needed certificates I just asked my Dr to do what he seemed appropriate and now that I'm still waiting to get to see the surgeon ( 2 or more year waiting list as it's elective surgery) I am now back to seeing my job network who happen to be really caring about this situation. Just now need to find somewhere where I can do work placement for my Cert 3 Community Service.
Whether it happens before I eventually get this carpal tunnel sorted out I'm not holding mg breath.
Hope you are not in too much pain.