Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this simple 4-ingredient Carbonara dinner ‘genius’ or 'lazy'? Mum's dish triggers heated debate

It’s no secret that putting together a decent meal can be a bit daunting. Check out any recipe book, and you’ll be hit by a barrage of ingredients, complicated processes, and more steps than a dance musical sequence.

Well, one innovative mum has come up with a four-ingredient meal that’s so quick and easy it had thousands of people talking. However, not everyone was impressed.

Mum-of-three Emma Lou left thousands of people stunned after she shared her tasty four-ingredient ‘lazy’ dinner on social media using just pasta, chicken, bacon, and a jar of store-bought Carbonara sauce to create the meal.

‘Because I'm so lazy and cannot cook, I got this jar from [the supermarket], and I slopped it all in there and mixed it around,’ she said in the clip she uploaded online.

carbonara.jpg
The mum said she made the four-ingredient dinner for her kids. Credit: Alejandro Aznar/Pexels

Emma used Dolmio Creamy Carbonara Pasta Sauce (you can get it for $4 at Woolworths), mixed it with cooked pasta and stirred them together. Then, Emma added cooked chicken and bacon pieces before serving the meal to her children.

‘Before you say it, I'm not Italian. Can't complain because they all ate it, and I made the kids clear up,' she added.

However, not everyone liked the idea.

Many social media users said that ditching the jar of sauce for egg, parmesan, and pasta water would make a cheaper and ‘more authentic’ Carbonara dish.

Others were left ‘confused’ by the recipe and completely slammed the idea.

‘I don't get Carbonara sauce when all you need to do is add eggs, Parmesan and a bit of pasta water,' one shared.

‘Probably a similar cost but tastes so much better and not processed,’ they added.

carbonara2.jpg
Other social media users were left ‘confused’ by the mum’s Carbonara recipe. Credit: emma_lou_/TikTok

‘Carbonara sauce is literally eggs and cheese mixed together and poured over with some hot water from the pasta pot. It takes like two minutes to make,’ one more replied.

Despite the backlash, many still leapt to Emma’s defence, commenting that jar sauces are also quick to use and especially helpful for those who don’t have enough time to cook complicated meals.

Some also noted that cheese could be too pricey for many households, especially amid rising inflation and an increase in grocery bills.

‘It takes one second to pour a jar into the pasta,' one stated, while another agreed and replied: ‘Also, cheese, in general, is expensive.’

Someone explained that Marinara sauce is simple to make as well, and yet people still go out and buy jars. ‘Not everyone can keep fresh ingredients in the house, and Parmigiano is a luxury,’ they added.

Another stated that they liked adding the Carbonara sauce to a pot. ‘It’s less bother,’ they wrote.

Many parents in the comments said they were keen on trying the ‘brilliant’ and ‘no-fuss’ meal.

‘I’d eat this; no complaints,’ one said.

While another agreed and admitted: ‘I would be all over this; that looks so good. Cooking is effort, so long as something edible is on the table, who cares.’

One suggested: ‘Chuck a bit of broccoli and frozen peas in as well. It makes it really nice.’

If you’ve got a bit of time on your hands and extra cash, you could try making traditional spaghetti Carbonara using only five ingredients.

Do note, however, that the only difficult part of spaghetti carbonara is getting the eggs right – they must neither be cooked to look like scrambled eggs nor too little to be raw and cold.

Without further ado, here’s how to make traditional spaghetti Carbonara:
  • Serving size: 4
  • Prep time: 20 minutes
  • Cook time: 10 minutes
The ingredients you’ll need are:
  • 350 g of spaghetti.
  • 200 g of guanciale (cured pork. Alternatively, you can use pancetta from Coles, which costs $3.80 per 1kg).
  • Four whole medium eggs (1 egg per serving).
  • 100 g (1 cup + 1 tablespoon) of grated Pecorino Romano cheese. You can get this from Woolworths for $12.50.
  • Ground black pepper to taste.

A Step-by-Step Guide to Cooking Traditional Carbonara:

1. Start by setting a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. As a rule of thumb, use 1 litre (4 cups) of water for every 100 g of pasta and 10 g (around 1/2 tablespoon) of coarse salt per litre (4 cups) of water.

2. While the water is heating, cut the guanciale or pancetta into small pieces (cubes or slices, as you prefer) and cook them gently in a pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking. Adjust the cooking time depending on your preference for crispy or soft meat.

There's no need for extra oil, as the meat releases enough fat on its own. Once done, turn off the heat, cover the pan, and set it aside.

carbonara3.jpg
Cook the meat gently in a pan. Credit: Recipes from Italy

3. Now it's time to prepare that luxurious Pecorino cream. In a bowl, combine the whole eggs, Pecorino Romano cheese, and some freshly ground black pepper. Use a fork or hand whisk to mix these ingredients until you achieve a thick, creamy consistency. Put this flavoursome mixture aside for now.

4. By this time, your water should be boiling. Add salt and carefully cook the spaghetti until al dente, following the cooking time indicated on the pasta package.

5. Once the spaghetti is al dente, drain it and add it to the pan with the meat. Turn the heat to high and let the pasta sizzle as it absorbs the delicious flavours.

6. The last and most crucial step: turn off the heat and quickly add the egg and pecorino cream to the hot pasta, mixing well to ensure a smooth, creamy sauce.

Pro-tip: be attentive to the consistency – if it's too runny, add a bit more grated pecorino cheese; if it's too sticky or dense, add a tablespoon or two of the reserved pasta cooking water.

carbonara4.jpg
This is how Italians cook Carbonara. Credit: Recipes from Italy

Your traditional Spaghetti Carbonara is now ready to serve! Use a ladle and fork to create a pasta nest on each plate. Top it with more meat, a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper, and a dusting of grated pecorino Romano. Enjoy!
Key Takeaways
  • A mum-of-three has shared her four-ingredient 'lazy' carbonara dinner, using a jar of sauce, pasta, chicken, and bacon.
  • The simple meal received mixed reactions, with some suggesting making an authentic carbonara with egg, parmesan, and pasta water is cheaper and better.
  • Some viewers defended the use of jarred sauce as a quick alternative and acknowledged the rising cost of living and expensive ingredients.
  • Many parents were eager to try the no-fuss meal for themselves, with some offering additional ingredient suggestions for a more enjoyable dish.
What do you think? Is this four-ingredient Carbonara dinner clever or too 'lazy'? Let us know in the comments, and feel free to share your own speedy dinner recipes.

Sponsored
Not a fan of cooking with jars/store bought sauces, etc but the recipe here does use ingredients i dont buy (& not familiar with) & method is long & boring to read- not something I'd be mucking around with (I'm working a lot & life is busy, no time for a recipe like this to be totally honest)!

It’s no secret that putting together a decent meal can be a bit daunting. Check out any recipe book, and you’ll be hit by a barrage of ingredients, complicated processes, and more steps than a dance musical sequence.

Well, one innovative mum has come up with a four-ingredient meal that’s so quick and easy it had thousands of people talking. However, not everyone was impressed.

Mum-of-three Emma Lou left thousands of people stunned after she shared her tasty four-ingredient ‘lazy’ dinner on social media using just pasta, chicken, bacon, and a jar of store-bought Carbonara sauce to create the meal.

‘Because I'm so lazy and cannot cook, I got this jar from [the supermarket], and I slopped it all in there and mixed it around,’ she said in the clip she uploaded online.

View attachment 18925
The mum said she made the four-ingredient dinner for her kids. Credit: Alejandro Aznar/Pexels

Emma used Dolmio Creamy Carbonara Pasta Sauce (you can get it for $4 at Woolworths), mixed it with cooked pasta and stirred them together. Then, Emma added cooked chicken and bacon pieces before serving the meal to her children.

‘Before you say it, I'm not Italian. Can't complain because they all ate it, and I made the kids clear up,' she added.

Many social media users said that ditching the jar of sauce for egg, parmesan, and pasta water would make a cheaper and ‘more authentic’ Carbonara dish.

‘I don't get Carbonara sauce when all you need to do is add eggs, Parmesan and a bit of pasta water,' one shared.

‘Probably a similar cost but tastes so much better and not processed,’ they added.

View attachment 18926
Other social media users were left ‘confused’ by the mum’s Carbonara recipe. Credit: emma_lou_/TikTok

‘Carbonara sauce is literally eggs and cheese mixed together and poured over with some hot water from the pasta pot. It takes like two minutes to make,’ one more replied.

Despite the backlash, many still leapt to Emma’s defence, commenting that jar sauces are also quick to use and especially helpful for those who don’t have enough time to cook complicated meals.

Some also noted that cheese could be too pricey for many households, especially amid rising inflation and an increase in grocery bills.

‘It takes one second to pour a jar into the pasta,' one stated, while another agreed and replied: ‘Also, cheese, in general, is expensive.’

Someone explained that Marinara sauce is simple to make as well, and yet people still go out and buy jars. ‘Not everyone can keep fresh ingredients in the house, and Parmigiano is a luxury,’ they added.

Another stated that they liked adding the Carbonara sauce to a pot. ‘It’s less bother,’ they wrote.

Many parents in the comments said they were keen on trying the ‘brilliant’ and ‘no-fuss’ meal.

While another agreed and admitted: ‘I would be all over this; that looks so good. Cooking is effort, so long as something edible is on the table, who cares.’

One suggested: ‘Chuck a bit of broccoli and frozen peas in as well. It makes it really nice.’

If you’ve got a bit of time on your hands and extra cash, you could try making traditional spaghetti Carbonara using only five ingredients.

Do note, however, that the only difficult part of spaghetti carbonara is getting the eggs right – they must neither be cooked to look like scrambled eggs nor too little to be raw and cold.

• 350 g of spaghetti.
  • 200 g of guanciale (cured pork. Alternatively, you can use pancetta from Coles, which costs $3.80 per 1kg).
  • 100 g (1 cup + 1 tablespoon) of grated Pecorino Romano cheese. You can get this from Woolworths for $12.50.

1. Start by setting a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. As a rule of thumb, use 1 litre (4 cups) of water for every 100 g of pasta and 10 g (around 1/2 tablespoon) of coarse salt per litre (4 cups) of water.

2. While the water is heating, cut the guanciale or pancetta into small pieces (cubes or slices, as you prefer) and cook them gently in a pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking. Adjust the cooking time depending on your preference for crispy or soft meat.

There's no need for extra oil, as the meat releases enough fat on its own. Once done, turn off the heat, cover the pan, and set it aside.

View attachment 18927

3. Now it's time to prepare that luxurious Pecorino cream. In a bowl, combine the whole eggs, Pecorino Romano cheese, and some freshly ground black pepper. Use a fork or hand whisk to mix these ingredients until you achieve a thick, creamy consistency. Put this flavoursome mixture aside for now.

4. By this time, your water should be boiling. Add salt and carefully cook the spaghetti until al dente, following the cooking time indicated on the pasta package.

5. Once the spaghetti is al dente, drain it and add it to the pan with the meat. Turn the heat to high and let the pasta sizzle as it absorbs the delicious flavours.

6. The last and most crucial step: turn off the heat and quickly add the egg and pecorino cream to the hot pasta, mixing well to ensure a smooth, creamy sauce.

Pro-tip: be attentive to the consistency – if it's too runny, add a bit more grated pecorino cheese; if it's too sticky or dense, add a tablespoon or two of the reserved pasta cooking water.

View attachment 18928

Your traditional Spaghetti Carbonara is now ready to serve! Use a ladle and fork to create a pasta nest on each plate. Top it with more meat, a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper, and a dusting of grated pecorino Romano. Enjoy!
Key Takeaways

• A mum-of-three has shared her four-ingredient 'lazy' carbonara dinner, using a jar of sauce, pasta, chicken, and bacon.
  • The simple meal received mixed reactions, with some suggesting making an authentic carbonara with egg, parmesan, and pasta water is cheaper and better.
  • Some viewers defended the use of jarred sauce as a quick alternative and acknowledged the rising cost of living and expensive ingredients.
  • Many parents were eager to try the no-fuss meal for themselves, with some offering additional ingredient suggestions for a more enjoyable dish.
What do you think? Is this four-ingredient Carbonara dinner clever or too 'lazy'? Let us know in the comments, and feel free to share your own speedy dinner recipes.
I could not be bothered making up that sauce. A jar of Carbonara Sauce sounds much easier. What she did sounds good. Maybe add green vegies. Good on her!

Firstly I hope she isn't feeding her kids this too often ....where's the vegetables.

There are plenty of quick n easy recipes out there that are also budget friendly.

What about a shepherd's pie which you can add peas n carrots to the sauce.

Even straight out spaghetti bolognese is better than carbonara.

My daughter purchased a jar of this once and it's horrible unless it's because I'm used to the real thing

Reactions: Milica and Ricci
I for one am not a fan of pasta!!
If her children ate their mum’s version of Carbonara that’s a bonus for her.
Everyone is quick to give their opinions on what else could/should have been added, but did any stop to think that maybe in these economic times cheese and vegetables may be limited in her food budget. Two serves of protein and one serve of carbohydrates in this meal!!

View attachment 18925

View attachment 18926

• 350 g of spaghetti.

View attachment 18927

View attachment 18928

Key Takeaways

Do it all the time, make a batch separate into 3/4 eat one freeze the others, I just don’t sometimes add the spaghetti to the ones I freeze. Yummy 😋

View attachment 18925

View attachment 18926

• 350 g of spaghetti.

View attachment 18927

View attachment 18928

Key Takeaways

I dont believe it's nasty, i am disappointed that some comments are unkind.

In group situations whether it's in held in premises or on line as here i feel many folks hold back from actively engaging in topics simply because the running commentary can be nasty and even toxic. Why not be kind and supportive and contribute with your personal experiences and ideas that benefit the whole. That would be awesome and interesting Imo😊

I regularly use ready made sauces, but add my own fresh ingredients. I don’t enjoy cooking so I admit I take the easy, or the lazy way out. Nothing wrong with that
I do whatever is convenient and simple to do.. i enjoy cooking and eating my food and many of the preoared sauces i used as they were full of flavour and added and often helped improve what i prepared. I enjoy making up my own recipes and when i first saw my gchild after a year and any meal she enjoyed she would ask me the name of it , so my creative response was Hodgepodge 1, then 2 and so on until there were too many and when asked by her to cook Hodgepodge 4 because she loved it so much i had a dilemma as to what the dish was. So if asked her what she liked best in the meal shf she would say " oh, the big white beans " then i knew what to cook. Moral, don't fib and keep a list of favourite meals.

I have always used store bought Pasta sauces, It is too long and involved to make my own and far more expensive as I will likely not have all the ingredients needed on hand. As mentioned in previous posts Cheese is now very expensive and Pecorino cheese especially is out of reach for most of us, even more so if living in regional areas with no access to a continental Deli. Adding vegetables to the sauce before putting it with the pasta is a good way to make sure the meal is a little healthier, I have always used frozen but tin veg will work as well it all depends what you have in your pantry/ freezer

Totally agree with MaggieAmalia. You kind of expect that some young people on social media may be toxic in terms of their commentary, but it’s totally unacceptable for seniors to behave that way. It can turn one off to engage. As a recently new member, I was attacked relentlessly by a well known member simply because my “values” didn’t agree with hers & she wanted to argue & argue in order to be noticed. Ross Rosenberg (an expert clinician on personality disorders) who refers to the DSM-5 (Diagnostic Statistical Manual, Version 5 that Psychologists’ & Psychiatrists’ world-wide use), says: “Never fight with a pig, because the pig loves it & you end up getting dirty”. The best way to deal with a person with NPD etc, (most don’t realize they have it) is to study the DSM-5 (or recognize their Disorder by the signs & their behaviour; and have “no contact” whatsoever with them.

Sure, if this was the type of meal served every night there would be a problem. Seriously though, for an occasional offering, what's the problem? Especially these days, everybody has times where grabbing something quick and no fuss is required. Yes, adding veggies would be better, but many would opt for takeaway at such times, so cut her some slack.

I love Mediterranean food , but not the cheap creamy sauces . It fill you up for a while , but not until your next meal. And there are no vegetables , it needs to be nutritious. I usually make the tomato based sauces.

Due to the severity of my back problems I can no longer stand at the stove long enough to prepare a lot of these meals so having a jar of whatever that I can just throw in is a godsend.
I realise that they may not be the healthiest options available but needs must and I can always chuck a handful or two of veggies to balance it all out. :)

As a carer I have to do the cooking (which I dislike) but that is made worse by having to prepare meals with no onions or garlic, It's almost impossible to buy jar sauces that don't include one or the other. Rock & hard place indeed!

View attachment 18925

View attachment 18926

• 350 g of spaghetti.

View attachment 18927

View attachment 18928

Key Takeaways

Might well be seen as a bit on the lazy side but very practical for a lady with children. Nothing wrong with her recipe and I applaud her for it. You can easily use your own variations if you feel like it. I don't believe that the recipe is patented. Well done I say.

Totally agree with MaggieAmalia. You kind of expect that some young people on social media may be toxic in terms of their commentary, but it’s totally unacceptable for seniors to behave that way. It can turn one off to engage. As a recently new member, I was attacked relentlessly by a well known member simply because my “values” didn’t agree with hers & she wanted to argue & argue in order to be noticed. Ross Rosenberg (an expert clinician on personality disorders) who refers to the DSM-5 (Diagnostic Statistical Manual, Version 5 that Psychologists’ & Psychiatrists’ world-wide use), says: “Never fight with a pig, because the pig loves it & you end up getting dirty”. The best way to deal with a person with NPD etc, (most don’t realize they have it) is to study the DSM-5 (or recognize their Disorder by the signs & their behaviour; and have “no contact” whatsoever with them.
Wow, I'll have to get down to the library with my application for a psychology degree and see what I can come up with. I love your intensity but please relax a little, we do love you.

Coming away from the original 'commenting on a meal' -We are all human, this is not a mental health forum-is it? The other pig gets dirty too! Or the best way to deal with a person is to try & assist just by listening or having a respectful interaction/conversation with them if possible, Or have nothing to do with them - we still have freedom of choice.
We are firstly not clinicians to get our hands on the DSM-5 and we are not talking to and with each other as diagnostic workers in the MH arena of Life. We do all have our own values, as you have mentioned, perspectives, comments & ideas, mutual respect, being mindful and treating each other as we would like to be treated - there are topics that people are passionate about - and are able to air as such in a safe place - as long as it is not in personal reference to others - we should all be able to enjoy this forum. We should not take things too personally and if we have offended some-one we need to be mindful of this and apologise. And i may not be too liked now-but that's life as we age:)everyone should feel like they can engage on this site!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×