What Aussies are cutting from their budgets due to cost of living increases

As living costs continue to rise across Australia, many households are forced to find ways to save money and make their budgets stretch further.

This may include cutting back on non-essential spending, such as streaming services and takeaway coffees, but for many Aussie families, it also means cutting back on grocery staples such as fresh fruit, vegetables and even meat.

Posting to the popular social media forum Reddit, one person who goes by @HalfManHalfCyborg online asked what people had stopped buying recently due to price increases.

And the responses they received revealed some shocking cutbacks.

cereal.jpg
Many people shared what they’re cutting back on amid the rising cost of living. Credit: Engin Akyurt/Pexels

‘Cereal. One of those larger sizes…cost over $9 now,’ wrote one.

Someone responded under this comment and said that cutting back on cereal was one of the ‘worst things’ in their opinion.

‘I want to eat breakfast every day and I don’t especially want something hot or cooked. Cereal to the rescue, right? Ten bucks a box…Flaked wheat is a luxury now?’ They added.

Others shared that they stopped buying certain fruits such as watermelon. ‘I love watermelon, but I’m not paying $20+ per melon. It’s ridiculous,’ one admitted.

Some said they had to cut back on fresh fruit and vegetables altogether and were generally shopping less.

‘Stuff is just way too expensive. I no longer do a weekly shop. I just do it every now and then, and only what I need for the next few days,’ one wrote.

watermelon.jpg
Some shoppers refrain from buying fruits and vegetables altogether. Credit: Rodion Kutsaiev/Pexels

One grocery item staple people skip out on is meat. Many Aussies shared that they can ‘no longer afford even common cuts’.

‘Even mince seems pricey now,’ one explained. Another stated they’d become an ‘economic vegetarian’ after seeing the price tags on certain food items.

Others reminisced about days when food was more ‘affordable’. Adding on to this statement, one Redditor shared that they remembered as a kid, they always have ‘so many lamb cutlets and T-bones’ when barbecuing. They even had leftovers lasting them for a week.

‘Cutlets are now priced like Rolex watches for a bit of meat and bone,’ they added.

Deb Shroot, a Financial Counsellor with Financial Counselling Australia, noticed a big change around early March last year – just as fuel prices began to spike.

She told reporters: ‘It started with fuel prices soaring above the $2 mark, followed by eight consecutive interest rate rises and rising grocery prices – that have all combined to really put the squeeze on people’s spending.’

Ms Shroot said that a steady increase in people seeking financial counselling was noted, and people were ‘really cutting back on what they’d consider as essentials’, such as home, car, and health insurance.

The financial advisor also shared that people are now resorting to ‘buy now, pay later’ schemes to buy groceries, clothing, or pay utility bills.

‘But because buy now, pay later is far too easy to access, we’re seeing a lot of people losing track of those agreements and running into serious problems,’ she added.

While these offers (plus the availability of credit cards) seem to be the perfect solution for buying necessities, it’s also easy to fall into debt if you’re not careful. One woman shared her unfortunate experience with a ‘buy now, pay later’ scheme which led her to a staggering debt of $40,000. You can read more on that here.

In response to this growing financial strain, the federal government has implemented a range of measures to provide financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet. These include welfare payments, emergency payments and other types of government benefits, as well as subsidies, grants and concessional loans. Foodbank, the largest food assistance organisation in Australia, also works alongside other frontline organisations to ensure low-income Australians have access to nutritious meals.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians have taken to social media to share what items they are cutting back on due to rising inflation.
  • Many are cutting back on staples like cereal, meat, fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • Financial Counselling Australia reported an increase in people seeking financial counselling and people resorting to ‘buy now, pay later’ agreements to cover essentials.
What tips do you have to help manage your budget? Tell us in the comments!

Sponsored
As living costs continue to rise across Australia, many households are forced to find ways to save money and make their budgets stretch further.

This may include cutting back on non-essential spending, such as streaming services and takeaway coffees, but for many Aussie families, it also means cutting back on grocery staples such as fresh fruit, vegetables and even meat.

Posting to the popular social media forum Reddit, one person who goes by @HalfManHalfCyborg online asked what people had stopped buying recently due to price increases.

View attachment 12190
Many people shared what they’re cutting back on amid the rising cost of living. Credit: Engin Akyurt/Pexels

Someone responded under this comment and said that cutting back on cereal was one of the ‘worst things’ in their opinion.

‘I want to eat breakfast every day and I don’t especially want something hot or cooked. Cereal to the rescue, right? Ten bucks a box…Flaked wheat is a luxury now?’ They added.

Others shared that they stopped buying certain fruits such as watermelon. ‘I love watermelon, but I’m not paying $20+ per melon. It’s ridiculous,’ one admitted.

Some said they had to cut back on fresh fruit and vegetables altogether and were generally shopping less.

‘Stuff is just way too expensive. I no longer do a weekly shop. I just do it every now and then, and only what I need for the next few days,’ one wrote.

View attachment 12191
Some shoppers refrain from buying fruits and vegetables altogether. Credit: Rodion Kutsaiev/Pexels

One grocery item staple people skip out on is meat. Many Aussies shared that they can ‘no longer afford even common cuts’.

‘Even mince seems pricey now,’ one explained. Another stated they’d become an ‘economic vegetarian’ after seeing the price tags on certain food items.

Others reminisced about days when food was more ‘affordable’. Adding on to this statement, one Redditor shared that they remembered as a kid, they always have ‘so many lamb cutlets and T-bones’ when barbecuing. They even had leftovers lasting them for a week.

‘Cutlets are now priced like Rolex watches for a bit of meat and bone,’ they added.

Deb Shroot, a Financial Counsellor with Financial Counselling Australia, noticed a big change around early March last year – just as fuel prices began to spike.

She told reporters: ‘It started with fuel prices soaring above the $2 mark, followed by eight consecutive interest rate rises and rising grocery prices – that have all combined to really put the squeeze on people’s spending.’

Ms Shroot said that a steady increase in people seeking financial counselling was noted, and people were ‘really cutting back on what they’d consider as essentials’, such as home, car, and health insurance.

The financial advisor also shared that people are now resorting to ‘buy now, pay later’ schemes to buy groceries, clothing, or pay utility bills.

‘But because buy now, pay later is far too easy to access, we’re seeing a lot of people losing track of those agreements and running into serious problems,’ she added.

While these offers (plus the availability of credit cards) seem to be the perfect solution for buying necessities, it’s also easy to fall into debt if you’re not careful. One woman shared her unfortunate experience with a ‘buy now, pay later’ scheme which led her to a staggering debt of $40,000. You can read more on that here.

In response to this growing financial strain, the federal government has implemented a range of measures to provide financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet. These include welfare payments, emergency payments and other types of government benefits, as well as subsidies, grants and concessional loans. Foodbank, the largest food assistance organisation in Australia, also works alongside other frontline organisations to ensure low-income Australians have access to nutritious meals.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have taken to social media to share what items they are cutting back on due to rising inflation.
  • Many are cutting back on staples like cereal, meat, fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • Financial Counselling Australia reported an increase in people seeking financial counselling and people resorting to ‘buy now, pay later’ agreements to cover essentials.
Kill a sheep.

Reactions: Ricci and Jennie

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191

Key Takeaways

No way I would buy cereal. It's not only expensive, the companies that produce them make huge profits and you would be better eating the box than the contents as far as nutritional value goes. Food budget should be based on nutritional value. We have been duped into thinking we should eat 3 meals a day and snacks. Don't need all that. One good meal of protein and fat (not the canola oil crap, meat fat is fine) and a protein drink made from whey powder and milk or even on water is more nourishing than cereal, pasta or rice.

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191

Key Takeaways

I am on a fixed income (age pension) and I don’t buy meat any more or sweet biscuits or ice cream. Take aways are a thing of the past. I buy “home brand for everything and shop at Aldi. My water bill for 1 person is huge due to access charges of over $320 yet my water usage on top of the fees is between $30-$40/ quarter. I have turned my huge hot water system off for the warmer months. The water in the shower is still reasonably warm due to the hot days. I feel for those with families and one income 😞

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Cheezil
I am on a fixed income (age pension) and I don’t buy meat any more or sweet biscuits or ice cream. Take aways are a thing of the past. I buy “home brand for everything and shop at Aldi. My water bill for 1 person is huge due to access charges of over $320 yet my water usage on top of the fees is between $30-$40/ quarter. I have turned my huge hot water system off for the warmer months. The water in the shower is still reasonably warm due to the hot days. I feel for those with families and one income 😞
That is very sad. We are also on a pension plus a bit of aged pension. Having learned about nutrition I will never give up meat. Mince meat can be stretched with the cheaper veggies if you eat them. I buy meat and I try to buy when it's cheap. Eggs are pretty cheap in comparison to other foods. I've kept us pretty healthy especially my hubby who had a stroke. We prioritise animal protein as it's the best especially if you are older. My father gave up eating protein and he died within a year. Also buying whey powder and using it as a supplement mixed with milk or water can help as well

I'm on an aged pension and I live comfortable U grow most of my fruit and veg and by my meat when it is on special or I go to the factory we are luck we have a chicken factory where I live so I can get 6kg of chicken thigh's for $30 some time if you go on the right day you can get some really good specials and that is a lot of chicken but then you can do a lot with it so I live quite well but then I'm luckier than some

With the closest Food Bank located 46 kms away that is not an option for many who live in rural areas as the price of petrol (higher than in capital cities & other coastal areas) eats up whatever savings you make by using this service. The only meat I have eat for ages is mince (occasionally), sausages & chicken (which I can make stretch a long way). To help my budget I have started a vegie garden again but still trying to get sorted the right time to plant seeds ready for the next season. I sit at night with only the light from the TV & laptop - no lights on.

I’m stunned at the cost of your water bill! Our water bill is around $50 a quarter for two of us, access plus usage. Granted, we’re on septic, but have town water.

With the closest Food Bank located 46 kms away that is not an option for many who live in rural areas as the price of petrol (higher than in capital cities & other coastal areas) eats up whatever savings you make by using this service. The only meat I have eat for ages is mince (occasionally), sausages & chicken (which I can make stretch a long way). To help my budget I have started a vegie garden again but still trying to get sorted the right time to plant seeds ready for the next season. I sit at night with only the light from the TV & laptop - no lights on.
Yes many in rural areas have the issue of travel to shopping. We are lucky we have a Woolworths but it's not always well stocked with what we eat. We are now thinking seriously of selling up and moving closer to the city and family along with better services and competitive shopping

• Sad
Reactions: debjane and Ricci
If you really must have cereal, just stock up on these items when they are on special.....meh!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191

Key Takeaways

The government needs to intervene to cap price hikes without jeopardising farmers earnings. Maybe we need more hydroponic type farms or something not as reliant on weather for fruits and veg. Meat is a different problem.

Boxes of Cereal are always 50 % off at either voles or woollies. I never buy full price except weet big which is only $5 for a large box.

Buy things that are 1/2 price

Go to wholesale butchers

Do a little research .. yes everything has gone up incredibly but research..look around there is still ways to save

I’m stunned at the cost of your water bill! Our water bill is around $50 a quarter for two of us, access plus usage. Granted, we’re on septic, but have town water.
I live in rural Australia & my Water Access is $687 p.a., Sewer is $754 p.a. & Residential Stormwater (all of which stays on my property) $25 p.a.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Cheezil
Boxes of Cereal are always 50 % off at either voles or woollies. I never buy full price except weet big which is only $5 for a large box.

Buy things that are 1/2 price

Go to wholesale butchers

Do a little research .. yes everything has gone up incredibly but research..look around there is still ways to save
I don't know where you live but at my local Woolies I have never, ever seen cereal at 50% off. There's no such thing as a wholesale butcher closer than 200 km away. Try living in the country where there is really no competition for our grocery $$$s, so prices stay high.

I don't know where you live but at my local Woolies I have never, ever seen cereal at 50% off. There's no such thing as a wholesale butcher closer than 200 km away. Try living in the country where there is really no competition for our grocery $$$s, so prices stay high.
I live in Sydney, would love to live in the country . Maybe those living in the country should shop in their closest city and stock up every 3 to 6 months. I know people who do this.

Woolworths this week has cereal half price as well
Screenshot_20230210-223737_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230210-223705_Samsung Internet.jpg

Same here, our local co-op is astronomically expensive, so we must do a 200km round trip to get the Coles, Woolies,Aldi prices that city people are complaining about and on top of that is the petrol cost involved.
Life is so much more expensive for those in rural areas. Anything you need delivered incurs the most unreasonable freight charge. We were charged $300 for a delivery which came 60kms, and there were 5 other local people with deliveries on the same truck, what a rip off.