Aussies share food items they miss due to 'repulsively absurd' prices

The dream of a laid-back lifestyle faces a harsh reality check as the cost of living soars.

The quintessential dining table spread is shrinking, with many supermarket staples now considered luxuries due to price hikes.

From the humble potato chip to the once-affordable steak, shoppers are reassessing their shopping lists and are saying goodbye to some beloved foods.

An anonymous poster asked on social media: 'What's something you have stopped eating because it's become too expensive?'

Many shared their frustrations and the drastic changes they've made to their grocery lists and diets, as many items are deemed too expensive to justify.

Once a sweet treat to cool down under the sun, ice cream has been crossed off many shopping lists.

'Ben & Jerry's ice cream. It's about three times the price it used to be, and it's not like it was cheap before,' one commented.

compressed-photo (1).jpeg
Many shoppers crossed off some pantry staples and treats amid inflation. Image Credits: Pexels/Malidate Van, Alisha Mishra, Sydney Troxell, Yan Krukov

Steak prices skyrocketed, so it's now a rare indulgence rather than a weekly menu item.

Fresh berries, which add flavour and nutrition to our meals, have also become a casualty of the cost of living crisis.

The conversation also revealed a broader trend of consumers abandoning everyday essentials.

Olive oil, a cooking staple in many kitchens, has seen such a significant price increase that some have stopped purchasing it.

According to a previous article, olive oil production grappled with a few setbacks—including a heat wave across Europe—affecting the prices of the beloved pantry staple.

The impact extends beyond the supermarket aisles.

One commenter scraped off her weekly tradition due to prices.

'My Friday night tradition used to be to deliver pizza and wine. Now it's frozen or homemade pizza and wine,' they wrote.

Cheap and go-to fast foods were even mentioned in the discussion.

'McDonald's. I don't know why they have a $1 menu anymore when nothing on it is $1,' a commenter lamented, highlighting the disconnect between the brand's marketing and reality.

The cost of living crisis has also affected those with dietary requirements.

'I'm celiac, and buying gluten-free alternatives has always been expensive, but now it's completely unjustifiable,' another shared.

'Meat in general. There's never been a better time to go vegan...although I just bought a red pepper for $2.50,' one remarked sarcastically.

Although it's not all doom and gloom, as some shoppers found silver linings and creative solutions.

Home cooking skills are being honed, with many taking pride in their homemade lattes and pizzas.

'I just buy the store's brand of everything, not an issue whatsoever if you know how to cook,' a commenter shared.

Others are embracing the opportunity to reduce their meat consumption, with chicken thighs and plant-based alternatives becoming more prominent in their diets.

A beer fan also shared that the high cost of alcohol is not bad.

'I buy beer in six-packs and not 12-packs. I drink only on the weekends if I do at all. These downgrades aren't all that unhealthy, anyway, right?'

Savvy shoppers are finding ways to keep themselves full and satisfied without additional costs.

However, conversations around food affordability are more important than ever.

In a recent report, major supermarkets have been accused of price gouging, affecting millions of shoppers nationwide.

Proposed reforms included establishing a Commission on Prices and Competition to scrutinise price-setting practices to combat any market power abuse.
Key Takeaways

• Aussies are now forgoing everyday food staples due to 'absurd' price increases.
  • Items being cut from grocery lists notably include ice cream, steak, fresh berries, and olive oil, among others.
  • The rising cost of living also led to reductions in ordering takeaway and changes in meat and alcohol consumption habits.
  • Consumers are adjusting by opting for cheaper cuts of meat, homemade meals, and store-brand items and reducing luxury items.
How about you, dear members? What food items do you miss having because of their prices? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored