Dodgy driver's licence tactic is spiralling out of control

In the age of social media and the internet, there is a workaround for almost everything.

Attempts to outsmart the system may lead to severe consequences regarding the law—particularly road laws.

A worrying tactic has emerged among Aussie drivers, which could land people behind bars.

The tactic involves drivers who have accumulated demerit points and are at risk of losing their licences.

In a desperate attempt to avoid this, they turn to social media to find strangers willing to take the fall—and the demerit points—in exchange for cash.

The illegal practice has sharply increased, with the going rate for a single demerit point ranging from $30 to $150—and may even exceed.

compressed-demerit points.jpeg
Ads about demerit points are posted on social media, with prices ranging from $100 to $1,000. Image Credit: Facebook Marketplace

It's a steep price to pay for keeping your licence; but the cost of getting caught is even higher.

Criminal lawyer Jahan Kalantar witnessed a surge in people seeking legal advice after getting involved in this trend.

'This used to be a very tiny part of my practice, I do about eight to nine consultations a week on this,' he said. 'This is becoming really out of control.'

The practice has been on the rise over the past year, with more individuals advertising their willingness to take on points for a fee.

The penalties for those caught falsely nominating another driver are severe.

In Victoria, violators could be fined up to $9,000 for perverting the course of justice.

Meanwhile, in New South Wales and Queensland, the maximum penalty can reach $11,000.

Fines aside, imprisonment is also imminent.

The case of former federal court judge Marcus Einfeld, who was sentenced to imprisonment in 2006 for falsely declaring another driver responsible for his speeding fine, serves as a stark reminder of the potential consequences.

Demerit points for driving violations are there for a reason.

They serve as a deterrent against unsafe driving practices that can endanger lives.

When violators try to cheat the system, they’re risking legal repercussions and compromising the safety of everyone on the road.

It's vital to stay informed and resist the temptation of such dodgy practices.

Your licence is a symbol of independence, but it comes with the responsibility to drive safely and abide by the rules.
Key Takeaways

• Drivers trading demerit points for cash are increasing and getting 'out of control' according to lawyer Jahan Kalantar.
  • Social media is being used as a platform for this illegal activity, with ads being posted to attract those wanting to offload their demerit points.
  • Rates for demerit points range between $30 to $1,000, and legal professionals are encountering more people seeking advice on the matter.
  • Tough penalties, including fines and imprisonment, are in place for those who falsely nominate another driver and for those who accept demerit points for cash.
Have you encountered offers to take on demerit points for others? Share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
This has been happening ever since the advent of the demerit points system, usually between family members or friends.

In NSW, if you are at risk losing your licence due to the accumulation of demerit point, pay the associated fine with MORE than the required amount. The system could not handle the notion of an excessive amount being paid and the licence suspension went into limbo. As this was the case 20 years ago, the "authorities" have most probably plugged this loophole.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DLHM
my take on these road pirates is to do to court and contest the fine, after you have adjourned as many times as you can.
If it was about road safety, it appears by the released statistics, they are not doing a very good job as the road death toll has been steadily increasing since 2019

The judges are more concerned about jailing motorists then they are with hardened criminals stabbing people, murderers and breaking in to other peoples homes.

This article reminded me of incidents that I didn't see or follow up for the outcome.
I was supprised that one of NSW's finest citizens could be accused of this.
Itwas alleged that Mr Mehajer made a false declaration and nominated a foreign student for a number of speeding and red light offences - adding up to 20 demerit points.
The incidents allegedly took place in three vehicles, including Mr Mehajer's white Ferrari and his wife's black BMW.
The student denied ever driving these vehicles.

My Daughter & S-I-L often swap names to keep their licences. They do not declare any when obtaining insurance. Sooner or later they are going to get an insurance claim refused for incorrect point declaration.