Is this $310 rental even legal? Disturbing feature exposed!

While we all know that the rental market can be a battle, we can't help but be bewildered by the bizarre feature found in a 'newly renovated' studio in Peakhurst, Sydney.

At a cost of $310 per week, you'd be forgiven for thinking that this place would be a dream come true for single renters looking for a budget-friendly, convenient option within reach of the city. Oh, how wrong we were!

The property, advertised as being perfect for a single person, is located a quick 'two-minute drive to [the] shopping centre' and '20 minutes from [the] CBD'.

But, the real catch here is the rather invasive feature in the bathroom. Do you fancy having your business on full display to anyone in the vicinity? Well, you might have to be prepared for that in this rental delight—the bathroom door appears to be made of transparent glass!

And no, we're not talking about any fancy 'smart glass' technology that turns the glass opaque when locked. We're talking about your plain old, clear glass door that leaves nothing to the imagination.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 2.36.40 PM.png
A rental property in Sydney has attracted considerable attention on the internet due to its unique feature—a transparent glass bathroom door. Credit: Facebook.

Several people were understandably alarmed by the lack of privacy afforded to them should they choose to live in this rental.

'With the way the market is currently, what if you have to live here with a friend or partner?! What about guests too? Hopefully, if that's the case, they'd let them put up a curtain,' said one concerned woman who came across the advertisement in a popular Facebook group.

The rental listing has led to a mixed bag of reactions. Some individuals didn't seem to mind the unusual setup all that much, with a few even considering it convenient!

'I'd live there, I don't have guests over, and my two kids follow me to the loo to have conversations with me and watch me while I pee and poop anyways! I have zero privacy,' said one commenter.

Others joked about the layout, such as this little gem: 'Nothing handier than being able to keep an eye on dinner while taking a dump.'

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 2.36.35 PM.png
In New South Wales, a residential property is deemed suitable for living only if it provides bathroom facilities that ensure privacy for the user. Credit: Facebook.

However, the real question on everyone's mind is whether a Peeping Tom-style bathroom door is even legal.

According to New South Wales regulations, a residential property is considered fit for habitation only if it has bathroom facilities that allow privacy for the user. But what exactly constitutes 'privacy' isn't entirely clear.

Jemima Mowbray, Policy and Advocacy Manager at the Tenants' Union NSW weighed in on the issue.

'Depending on exactly where in the house the bathroom is located, it doesn't seem that a glass bathroom door without frosting, any curtains or further privacy features (such as a screen) would meet this standard,' she said to a news source.

Ms Mowbray also noted that 'smaller' and 'more contained' properties are marketed to address 'housing affordability' issues. Developers may employ tactics such as clear glass doors that 'increase the value by making the rental look bigger' but fail to 'factor in functionality'.

She added, 'Landlords may forget that it's not a short stay—it's someone's home.'

Key Takeaways

• A bizarre feature in a Sydney rental property has caused both amusement and concern.
  • The $310 studio rental has a fully see-through glass bathroom door, which has raised questions about privacy.
  • The ad for the rental makes no secret of this fact, with some potential renters not taking issue with the set-up while others find it concerning.
  • In NSW, residential premises must provide bathroom facilities that allow privacy for the user. Still, specific privacy guidelines are not provided, leading to uncertainty about the legality of the see-through glass door.

Tenant Privacy Rights in Australia

While the notion of having a transparent bathroom door might make some blush, it's essential to examine the broader issue of tenant privacy rights in Australia. Renters across the nation face differing rights depending on which state they reside in.

Nevertheless, all jurisdictions have implemented some form of privacy protection for tenants. Let's explore what this means for Aussie renters who may be facing similar dilemmas.

In New South Wales, the Residential Tenancies Act requires landlords to ensure that their properties are fit for habitation and provide reasonable privacy. While the legislation doesn't specifically prohibit transparent bathroom doors, it certainly raises eyebrows as to whether this rental would meet the standard.

Furthermore, tenants are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of their rented premises, which arguably could be impacted by such a noticeable lack of privacy.

In other states, like Victoria and Queensland, the law is similarly geared towards ensuring tenant privacy.

In Victoria, landlords must provide and maintain locks or other devices to secure the entrances to the premises. In Queensland, tenants are protected by the law against unreasonable entries and interference with peace and privacy.

While transparent bathroom doors may not be expressly forbidden (yet), it's clear that tenant privacy is taken into consideration in rental laws across Australia.

Considering these protections, it's no surprise that renters are raising concerns about the clear glass door in question. It could be seen as a violation of their privacy rights and may well be challenged by tenants who find themselves in similar situations.

In a housing market where rental affordability remains a pressing issue, renters must know their rights, and landlords consider the privacy needs of their tenants. While some might be thrilled by the prospect of an affordable rental at any cost, it's essential to have a balance between budget-friendly living and maintaining personal privacy.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 2.36.23 PM.png
Tenant privacy is taken into consideration in rental laws across Australia. Credit: Pixabay.

For now, it remains to be seen if peculiar finds like the see-through bathroom door rental will become more common or if they're just an anomalous blip on the Australian housing radar.

This whole situation also raises an important question: how far will Australians go to secure a rental?

Are you open to living in a place with a transparent bathroom door, or do you believe this is taking things too far, even for budget-conscious Australians searching for a home? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
What's cheapest, to put in the smallest hotplate and single sink bowl, a clothes washing machine in the kitchen? Is any other as a dryer, elsewhere? I doubt it is a combo) A lesser-cost bathroom sliding glass door cheaper to install than a normal wall and any privacy door? And facing into the kitchen! Fashionable? ..no way. A solution I can see is to put up a stick on murals, or full-length easy dry ( imagine the mould) if on the inside, decor roller blind and somehow 'bolt' it down if on the outside! It would no doubt be rented by now by those with their own ideas.Also, where is the oven and fridge space? Cannot see the proviso on the right but must be there. Looks clean otherwise.

Last edited:
You could put a bookcase in front of it. Hang a picture. A climbing plant. I have just come back from a cruise where one wall of the bathroom was all glass, but it had a sliding door if you wanted privacy. The toilet, however, was not located in the bathroom.

Whilst the privacy issue is one thing, (but perhaps irrelevant if you are single) and you can do something to improve it, I am more concerned about the proximity to the kitchen. Building law used to say you needed two closing doors between a bathroom and food preparation. Clearly this is not the case in this rental. So has that rule been changed or did it only apply in the UK?

Reactions: Bunyip57 and terri
If I was in a situation where the choice would be couch surfing or a cosy little studio, I'd invest in some kind of a curtain, or screen, or whatever. Today, it pays to use a bit of common sense and make choices out of necessity.
Seems like a storm in a tea cup.

If I remember right, when we were building years ago, we were told that a toilet door can't open into the kitchen and there have to be two doors between the toilet and the kitchen. I don't think that would have changed. Just like the tenant can put a blind up on their window, I am sure they would be allowed to put a blind or some kind of covering. I really don't like the idea of me cooking and hubby open the toilet/bathroom door so I can smell the roses. There are limits on how much one want to share

While we all know that the rental market can be a battle, we can't help but be bewildered by the bizarre feature found in a 'newly renovated' studio in Peakhurst, Sydney.

At a cost of $310 per week, you'd be forgiven for thinking that this place would be a dream come true for single renters looking for a budget-friendly, convenient option within reach of the city. Oh, how wrong we were!

The property, advertised as being perfect for a single person, is located a quick 'two-minute drive to [the] shopping centre' and '20 minutes from [the] CBD'.

But, the real catch here is the rather invasive feature in the bathroom. Do you fancy having your business on full display to anyone in the vicinity? Well, you might have to be prepared for that in this rental delight—the bathroom door appears to be made of transparent glass!

And no, we're not talking about any fancy 'smart glass' technology that turns the glass opaque when locked. We're talking about your plain old, clear glass door that leaves nothing to the imagination.

View attachment 21722
A rental property in Sydney has attracted considerable attention on the internet due to its unique feature—a transparent glass bathroom door. Credit: Facebook.

Several people were understandably alarmed by the lack of privacy afforded to them should they choose to live in this rental.

'With the way the market is currently, what if you have to live here with a friend or partner?! What about guests too? Hopefully, if that's the case, they'd let them put up a curtain,' said one concerned woman who came across the advertisement in a popular Facebook group.

The rental listing has led to a mixed bag of reactions. Some individuals didn't seem to mind the unusual setup all that much, with a few even considering it convenient!

'I'd live there, I don't have guests over, and my two kids follow me to the loo to have conversations with me and watch me while I pee and poop anyways! I have zero privacy,' said one commenter.

Others joked about the layout, such as this little gem: 'Nothing handier than being able to keep an eye on dinner while taking a dump.'

View attachment 21723
In New South Wales, a residential property is deemed suitable for living only if it provides bathroom facilities that ensure privacy for the user. Credit: Facebook.

However, the real question on everyone's mind is whether a Peeping Tom-style bathroom door is even legal.

According to New South Wales regulations, a residential property is considered fit for habitation only if it has bathroom facilities that allow privacy for the user. But what exactly constitutes 'privacy' isn't entirely clear.

Jemima Mowbray, Policy and Advocacy Manager at the Tenants' Union NSW weighed in on the issue.

'Depending on exactly where in the house the bathroom is located, it doesn't seem that a glass bathroom door without frosting, any curtains or further privacy features (such as a screen) would meet this standard,' she said to a news source.

Ms Mowbray also noted that 'smaller' and 'more contained' properties are marketed to address 'housing affordability' issues. Developers may employ tactics such as clear glass doors that 'increase the value by making the rental look bigger' but fail to 'factor in functionality'.

She added, 'Landlords may forget that it's not a short stay—it's someone's home.'

Key Takeaways

• A bizarre feature in a Sydney rental property has caused both amusement and concern.
  • The $310 studio rental has a fully see-through glass bathroom door, which has raised questions about privacy.
  • The ad for the rental makes no secret of this fact, with some potential renters not taking issue with the set-up while others find it concerning.
  • In NSW, residential premises must provide bathroom facilities that allow privacy for the user. Still, specific privacy guidelines are not provided, leading to uncertainty about the legality of the see-through glass door.

Tenant Privacy Rights in Australia

While the notion of having a transparent bathroom door might make some blush, it's essential to examine the broader issue of tenant privacy rights in Australia. Renters across the nation face differing rights depending on which state they reside in.

Nevertheless, all jurisdictions have implemented some form of privacy protection for tenants. Let's explore what this means for Aussie renters who may be facing similar dilemmas.

In New South Wales, the Residential Tenancies Act requires landlords to ensure that their properties are fit for habitation and provide reasonable privacy. While the legislation doesn't specifically prohibit transparent bathroom doors, it certainly raises eyebrows as to whether this rental would meet the standard.

Furthermore, tenants are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of their rented premises, which arguably could be impacted by such a noticeable lack of privacy.

In other states, like Victoria and Queensland, the law is similarly geared towards ensuring tenant privacy.

In Victoria, landlords must provide and maintain locks or other devices to secure the entrances to the premises. In Queensland, tenants are protected by the law against unreasonable entries and interference with peace and privacy.

While transparent bathroom doors may not be expressly forbidden (yet), it's clear that tenant privacy is taken into consideration in rental laws across Australia.

Considering these protections, it's no surprise that renters are raising concerns about the clear glass door in question. It could be seen as a violation of their privacy rights and may well be challenged by tenants who find themselves in similar situations.

In a housing market where rental affordability remains a pressing issue, renters must know their rights, and landlords consider the privacy needs of their tenants. While some might be thrilled by the prospect of an affordable rental at any cost, it's essential to have a balance between budget-friendly living and maintaining personal privacy.

View attachment 21724
Tenant privacy is taken into consideration in rental laws across Australia. Credit: Pixabay.

For now, it remains to be seen if peculiar finds like the see-through bathroom door rental will become more common or if they're just an anomalous blip on the Australian housing radar.

This whole situation also raises an important question: how far will Australians go to secure a rental?

Are you open to living in a place with a transparent bathroom door, or do you believe this is taking things too far, even for budget-conscious Australians searching for a home? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below!
I'd be looking for cameras that come free, fitted by the landlord, this is gross.

Reactions: Cheryl Trewin