Internet erupts as owner sells rental without notice to ‘wonderful tenant’ of 23 years

Renters in Australia face an uphill battle with skyrocketing rental costs and limited options, causing fierce competition and decreased security. Even good tenants aren’t spared – many live in fear of being removed from their homes due to ‘no-grounds’ evictions. One Redditor found proof of the threat that looms above renters’ heads on the property marketplace Domain.

The Reddit post entitled ‘What being a 'wonderful' tenant for 23 years gets you in Australia’, showed a screenshot of a property description.

yuqkvbthzwda1.png
The Redditor highlighted parts that left them appalled. Credit: Reddit/yourbetterfriend

The listing said: ‘The unit is in its original condition and needs a full make-over but as the wonderful tenant has been residing in the property for 23 years, the landlord hasn’t had the heart to ask him to vacate.’

It also stated how soon the property can be acquired: ‘As the tenant is on a periodical lease, it means the buyer only needs to give 60 days' notice to the tenant to vacate when they are ready to renovate the unit. Once it’s renovated, it can be sold for an excellent price or earn a top rental return.’

The post sparked outrage among Redditors. Many shared their unfair experiences with the rental market.

A comment said: ‘This is similar to a friend’s situation. The landlord listed the place for sale, the listing is pushing hard on renovations so the potential rent can be doubled on what it is now. My friend hasn’t been a tenant for anywhere near 23 years though.’

Another shared: ‘A mate of mine got screwed by a landlord. He lived in the place without any issues for 19 years. He never asked for anything, took good care of the place, etc., and the landlord seemed reasonable the entire time. Then suddenly, after 19.5 years, he gets the notice to vacate. There was no reason given, but we all know why.’ They continued: ‘It's now rented out for what appears to be Airbnbs and frequently has parties and such. The place does not look like it's being well looked after but obviously, the owner doesn't care. It's all about that Airbnb money.’

A third commented: ‘I was a great tenant for seven years. I had to move just before Christmas so the owner could renovate. I was working all through Christmas. I asked to wait until the new year. I offered heaps more money, etc. The fu***r hasn’t even started renovating yet. I hope his socks are always sliding down in his stupid shoes and his limp hurts his back.’

A homeowner said that they were contacted by agents to check if they want to make money from their property: ‘I’ve had so many visits from real estate agents asking if we’re interested in selling. The answer is always no. One of them had the hide to ask if we’d be able to afford the mortgage hike now we’ve had our loan for 5 years. But another one came at us with a new tactic: ‘This house would make a fantastic Airbnb – why don’t you buy a second property to live in close by, and turn this one into a short-term rental? F**k right off.’

Others were similarly appalled by the listing. Someone commented: ‘How can anyone write that and not feel gross?’

Another noted the inclusion of ‘and asks for nothing’ when describing the perfect tenant: ‘Oh man, this sh** sucks. It's a race to the bottom for tenants, the less you complain and the more you pay rent on time, the better tenant you are. I am not gonna win that battle 'cause I'd rather my amenities work…’

Tenants have reported feeling hopeless due to the power imbalance between landlords and renters. A Brisbane resident previously spoke with The Guardian about how she faced an eviction notice after threatening to issue a ‘notice to remedy a breach’ for a decaying stairway that was left unfixed for months. Others are discouraged to assert their rights for fear of retaliation.

pexels-andrew-neel-3132388.jpg
Many Australians are feeling the strain of rapidly rising rent costs and a lack of reasonably priced properties. Credit: Pexels/Andrew Neel

Another Redditor said: ‘This is the kind of ad that, if I had f**k you money, I would buy the house just to let the tenant stay for life. I would, with their permission, put them up in a hotel and do some modernisation/change of carpets etc. Sadly, I do not have fuck you money.’

Someone wrote that it’s better to do something than express their fury on online platforms like Reddit: ‘I will say this again and again and again. The only way housing reform will occur is if people start visibly demanding it through protests and demonstrations. We're all just participating in the rage economy.’

Australia is currently in the middle of a rental crisis, with record-breaking vacancy rates and prices. A report by SGS Economics and Planning and National Shelter reveals that renting has become more unaffordable in all Australian cities in 2022, compared to their 2021 findings. The trend is not limited to major cities – it has also been observed in regional areas, which were previously considered affordable options for renters with limited budgets.

It doesn’t help that no-grounds evictions remain legal in many states in Australia, which means that landlords can ask renters to vacate without reason. There have been calls to abolish the practice, especially in today’s climate. Advocacy groups have noted that Australia is among the few OECD member countries where no-grounds evictions remain legal.

The removal of such terminations faces great opposition from the real estate industry, however, which argues that it will take away landlords’ rights and lead to higher rental prices. REIWA president Damian Collins told ABC: ‘Every time you take away a right that a property owner has – and if at the end of a lease term, if they don't want to extend that lease, they should have that right – well, then all that will simply mean is fewer investors in the market and rents are going to go up, it's simple math.’

For its part, the federal government announced that it will be making housing affordability a legislative priority for 2023, initiating the formation of the National Housing Supply and Affordability Council and allotting $10 billion for the Housing Australia Future Fund.

What do you think, folks? Have you or a loved one experienced unjust eviction? If you rent, it might be good to brush up on your rights – CHOICE has a useful guide on rental rights and misconceptions by state.

Sponsored
Never ceases to amaze me...he/she who buys the property, pays the mortgage, gives the bank control of not only the 'rented' property but their own property [in some instances & when they don't know any better] so 1 property guaranteed by 2...nice work if u can get it, owner also pays the water rates, council rates, building insurance, [don't even think about landlords insurance] maintenance/repairs/painting... carpet is considered 'past it' by 7? yrs I think, so wear n tear on a carpet claim is a no-no, then. & the tenant doesn't even have to clean the carpet on vacating! Another owners cost! Tenants rites have gone to far their way now & this is the result! ...& they still whinge! That old saying about 'reaping & sowing comes to mind! & a little known fact I only recently became aware of after 50yrs in-the-game...if the 1 tenant rents a property for 20yrs. they can CLAIM IT as theirs!!! ...seems fair, NOT!

No sympathy here, either. "Wonderful tenant" has simply done what I would hope any decent tenant would do; length of tenure is not only irrelevant, I can't help wondering why the tenant hasn't made any move toward either buying it or some other property in that 23 years. How the landlord chooses to deploy/redeploy his wealth is entirely the landlord's business. If there is a 'villain' to be found here, it will be the Agent who placed the ad, and even then nothing false or outrageous has been said, so that's a furphy, too.

Renters in Australia face an uphill battle with skyrocketing rental costs and limited options, causing fierce competition and decreased security. Even good tenants aren’t spared – many live in fear of being removed from their homes due to ‘no-grounds’ evictions. One Redditor found proof of the threat that looms above renters’ heads on the property marketplace Domain.

The Reddit post entitled ‘What being a 'wonderful' tenant for 23 years gets you in Australia’, showed a screenshot of a property description.

View attachment 12545
The Redditor highlighted parts that left them appalled. Credit: Reddit/yourbetterfriend

The listing said: ‘The unit is in its original condition and needs a full make-over but as the wonderful tenant has been residing in the property for 23 years, the landlord hasn’t had the heart to ask him to vacate.’

It also stated how soon the property can be acquired: ‘As the tenant is on a periodical lease, it means the buyer only needs to give 60 days' notice to the tenant to vacate when they are ready to renovate the unit. Once it’s renovated, it can be sold for an excellent price or earn a top rental return.’

The post sparked outrage among Redditors. Many shared their unfair experiences with the rental market.

A comment said: ‘This is similar to a friend’s situation. The landlord listed the place for sale, the listing is pushing hard on renovations so the potential rent can be doubled on what it is now. My friend hasn’t been a tenant for anywhere near 23 years though.’

Another shared: ‘A mate of mine got screwed by a landlord. He lived in the place without any issues for 19 years. He never asked for anything, took good care of the place, etc., and the landlord seemed reasonable the entire time. Then suddenly, after 19.5 years, he gets the notice to vacate. There was no reason given, but we all know why.’ They continued: ‘It's now rented out for what appears to be Airbnbs and frequently has parties and such. The place does not look like it's being well looked after but obviously, the owner doesn't care. It's all about that Airbnb money.’

A third commented: ‘I was a great tenant for seven years. I had to move just before Christmas so the owner could renovate. I was working all through Christmas. I asked to wait until the new year. I offered heaps more money, etc. The fu***r hasn’t even started renovating yet. I hope his socks are always sliding down in his stupid shoes and his limp hurts his back.’

A homeowner said that they were contacted by agents to check if they want to make money from their property: ‘I’ve had so many visits from real estate agents asking if we’re interested in selling. The answer is always no. One of them had the hide to ask if we’d be able to afford the mortgage hike now we’ve had our loan for 5 years. But another one came at us with a new tactic: ‘This house would make a fantastic Airbnb – why don’t you buy a second property to live in close by, and turn this one into a short-term rental? F**k right off.’

Others were similarly appalled by the listing. Someone commented: ‘How can anyone write that and not feel gross?’

Another noted the inclusion of ‘and asks for nothing’ when describing the perfect tenant: ‘Oh man, this sh** sucks. It's a race to the bottom for tenants, the less you complain and the more you pay rent on time, the better tenant you are. I am not gonna win that battle 'cause I'd rather my amenities work…’

Tenants have reported feeling hopeless due to the power imbalance between landlords and renters. A Brisbane resident previously spoke with The Guardian about how she faced an eviction notice after threatening to issue a ‘notice to remedy a breach’ for a decaying stairway that was left unfixed for months. Others are discouraged to assert their rights for fear of retaliation.

View attachment 12546
Many Australians are feeling the strain of rapidly rising rent costs and a lack of reasonably priced properties. Credit: Pexels/Andrew Neel

Another Redditor said: ‘This is the kind of ad that, if I had f**k you money, I would buy the house just to let the tenant stay for life. I would, with their permission, put them up in a hotel and do some modernisation/change of carpets etc. Sadly, I do not have fuck you money.’

Someone wrote that it’s better to do something than express their fury on online platforms like Reddit: ‘I will say this again and again and again. The only way housing reform will occur is if people start visibly demanding it through protests and demonstrations. We're all just participating in the rage economy.’

Australia is currently in the middle of a rental crisis, with record-breaking vacancy rates and prices. A report by SGS Economics and Planning and National Shelter reveals that renting has become more unaffordable in all Australian cities in 2022, compared to their 2021 findings. The trend is not limited to major cities – it has also been observed in regional areas, which were previously considered affordable options for renters with limited budgets.

It doesn’t help that no-grounds evictions remain legal in many states in Australia, which means that landlords can ask renters to vacate without reason. There have been calls to abolish the practice, especially in today’s climate. Advocacy groups have noted that Australia is among the few OECD member countries where no-grounds evictions remain legal.

The removal of such terminations faces great opposition from the real estate industry, however, which argues that it will take away landlords’ rights and lead to higher rental prices. REIWA president Damian Collins told ABC: ‘Every time you take away a right that a property owner has – and if at the end of a lease term, if they don't want to extend that lease, they should have that right – well, then all that will simply mean is fewer investors in the market and rents are going to go up, it's simple math.’

For its part, the federal government announced that it will be making housing affordability a legislative priority for 2023, initiating the formation of the National Housing Supply and Affordability Council and allotting $10 billion for the Housing Australia Future Fund.

What do you think, folks? Have you or a loved one experienced unjust eviction? If you rent, it might be good to brush up on your rights – CHOICE has a useful guide on rental rights and misconceptions by state.
It’s all still in favour of the landlord. They own the property so they are able to do what they want when they want. It’s all about money not people.

Reactions: Ricci and Marj53
We rented out our home when my husband's job moved us around and the tenants wrecked it. The property managers weren't doing their jobs at all and every inspection they supposedly carried out there was nothing wrong, we couldn't claim anything on the landlord insurance because they didn't do their job.

I am with the landlord, you dont know their circumstances and the fact this tennant was on a periodic lease was also a contributing factor. I have had tennants that didnt pay rent and I still had payments to make and the review committee didnt force them to repair or pay their back bills, another time I had tennants for 6 years and I didnt put their rent up because they looked after the house and werent financial enough. Before you people open your yappers, ask why the place was sold, what were the circumstances and why was the tennant on a periodic lease. Then when you have all the facts then come back otherwise stop being so ignorant.

Not easy for Renters. But it’s usually the everyday working person who takes a chance buying a rental to bolster their retirement savings. As already mentioned, there are a number of added expenses on top of the mortgage repayments, plus the additional risk of your own home being held by the Bank as surety for the loan. You need to be ready to replace anything within the house that breaks down or wears out. Meanwhile you can have Tenants who destroy your gardens, break fittings and burn holes in carpets and curtains. Head to the Tribunal and if you are lucky, might get some of your costs returned at $20 a fortnight for quite a long time! So when retirement approaches and you decide to sell your investment, you become the most uncaring capitalist pig in the universe. Can’t win. 😔

Not easy for Renters. But it’s usually the everyday working person who takes a chance buying a rental to bolster their retirement savings. As already mentioned, there are a number of added expenses on top of the mortgage repayments, plus the additional risk of your own home being held by the Bank as surety for the loan. You need to be ready to replace anything within the house that breaks down or wears out. Meanwhile you can have Tenants who destroy your gardens, break fittings and burn holes in carpets and curtains. Head to the Tribunal and if you are lucky, might get some of your costs returned at $20 a fortnight for quite a long time! So when retirement approaches and you decide to sell your investment, you become the most uncaring capitalist pig in the universe. Can’t win. 😔
Thats because uneducated ill=informed people would rather spread crap than actially know the truth. It is not the rich that have an investment property, it is mum and dad investors trying to get ahead instead of wasting their money on new cars, going out most weekends, overseas trips and latte's. These complainers and people are the ones bleating because they cant or wont save money and make sacrifices to plan for the future. The population while it is getting more educated, they are also getting dumber and reliant on anyone other than themselves and your taxpayers money to get ahead.

View attachment 12545

View attachment 12546

I lived in a SAHT home for 26 years,the house & grounds are picture perfect (thanks to my hard work!) then out of the blue I got a letter telling me I had to move to another rental (no if buts or otherwise) this was such a shock! since living in the new place I have had multiple falls???

• Sad
Reactions: terri
Never ceases to amaze me...he/she who buys the property, pays the mortgage, gives the bank control of not only the 'rented' property but their own property [in some instances & when they don't know any better] so 1 property guaranteed by 2...nice work if u can get it, owner also pays the water rates, council rates, building insurance, [don't even think about landlords insurance] maintenance/repairs/painting... carpet is considered 'past it' by 7? yrs I think, so wear n tear on a carpet claim is a no-no, then. & the tenant doesn't even have to clean the carpet on vacating! Another owners cost! Tenants rites have gone to far their way now & this is the result! ...& they still whinge! That old saying about 'reaping & sowing comes to mind! & a little known fact I only recently became aware of after 50yrs in-the-game...if the 1 tenant rents a property for 20yrs. they can CLAIM IT as theirs!!! ...seems fair, NOT!
Spot on! I went thru a stage where i considered renting out my home (& moving in with family or my van) to try to make ends meet, but there is no way due to exactly what you have covered here!
It would be nice to help someone out but not to our own detriment & thats what its becoming!

Reactions: Trudi
No sympathy here, either. "Wonderful tenant" has simply done what I would hope any decent tenant would do; length of tenure is not only irrelevant, I can't help wondering why the tenant hasn't made any move toward either buying it or some other property in that 23 years. How the landlord chooses to deploy/redeploy his wealth is entirely the landlord's business. If there is a 'villain' to be found here, it will be the Agent who placed the ad, and even then nothing false or outrageous has been said, so that's a furphy, too.
Well said! It sounds likely that tenant was possibly on a good wicket to stay so long! And yes its a shame doing whats right & paying your rent isnt considered normal any more?

Greed and nothing else. Need more public housing,
Not necessarily, have you ever had an investment property, I would think probably not, otherwise you would not make such ignorant statements We no longer have an investment property be ausr you are lucky if after paying the mortgage, water rates council rates, property insurance, tenant insurance, agents fees,repair and replacement of damage done by tenants, cleaning of carpets, not to mention ovens, which most tenants leave in a disgusting state, where is the greed???
Our last rental property was trashed twice by tenants, and had to be renovated each time, our yearly tax return that year, on that property was $137,000 capital LOSS.
That is the reason there is a
It’s all still in favour of the landlord. They own the property so they are able to do what they want when they want. It’s all about money not people.

shortage of rentals - who would want to be a landlord, not me, never again.
Try being a landlord, maybe then you wouldn't make such ignorant statements

Reactions: Cheezil