Hospitals on high alert as influenza cases continue to surge

As the winter cool comes in full swing, Australians are facing a health challenge that's all too familiar—the seasonal flu.

However, this year's influenza outbreak has been formidable.

Due to a significant surge in cases, hospitals have been on high alert.

It's a reminder that apart from COVID-19, other respiratory illnesses remain a potent threat to our well-being.

The spike in flu cases in Victoria has been alarming—a 28 per cent increase in cases was reported over the past fortnight.

New South Wales isn't faring much better—according to the NSW Health Respiratory Surveillance report, there has been a 33 per cent rise in severe influenza cases.

These numbers are not just statistics; they represent a growing pressure on our healthcare system and a risk to the vulnerable members of our community.

compressed-hospital.jpeg
Hospitals have warned about the surge in influenza and other respiratory cases since last month. Image Credit: Shutterstock/doublelee

Epidemiologists like Professor Adrian Esterman attributed this uptick to several factors.

'Fewer and fewer people are protecting themselves with face masks and handwashing. Because of that, people are more exposed to the flu than this time last year,' Professor Esterman said.

'The second reason is there's been a bit of an early start to the flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. The current strain of influenza that's circulating now is identical to that in the Northern Hemisphere last winter,' he added.

With international travel also back in full swing, these flu strains eventually found their way Down Under.

Dr Max Mollenkopf's advice was straightforward.

'When you are sick, just stay at home. The office doesn't need you that badly. We can help everyone to stay well.'

He also emphasised the importance of vaccinations for both COVID and influenza.

Children, in particular, have been vectors for the spread of the flu.

'So many younger kids, they're eligible for free flu vaccines, and really they're the ones bringing it from daycare and school, and they're the ones spreading it throughout the community,' he added.

Victorian Chief Health Officer Clare Looker also urged residents to get their flu shots.

'The flu can be deadly—getting vaccinated is the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones,' she advised.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported 59 influenza deaths as of March 2024, with the highest numbers in NSW, Victoria, and Queensland.

These figures are a sombre reminder of the flu's potential impact.

To combat the increasing number of cases, the National Immunisation Program made influenza vaccinations free for those at higher risk.

This program caters to children from six months to under five years old, pregnant women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, citizens aged 65 and over, and individuals with certain medical conditions.

These groups could experience severe complications from the flu, making vaccination a vital step in protecting them.

By taking preventive measures and looking out for each other, we can help ease the burden on our hospitals and safeguard the health of our communities.
Key Takeaways

• Hospitals have reported a significant increase in influenza cases across Australia, with a 28 per cent rise in Victoria and a 33 per cent increase in NSW over the past weeks.
  • Hospitals have been on high alert, and experts strongly urged the public to get vaccinated against influenza.
  • Experts highlighted a decline in COVID-era protective practices, alongside increasing international travel as factors contributing to the surge.
  • Free influenza vaccinations are available under the National Immunisation Program for groups considered to be at higher risk.
Have you gotten your flu shot yet? How are you preparing for the flu season? Share your thoughts and any health tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Masks should still be enforced. We haven't stopped wearing our masks when out shopping or appointments since Covid began. And it's still here. Some think it's just a cold. It isn't and especially for those of us with immune compromised. I have had Breast twice now and so both my husband and myself wear masks whenever we are out. He wears the Maskit cloth mask with replaceable filters and washes the mask regularly. I wear a P2 mask or N95 disposable mask.
With flu, Covid and RSV all around it's going to be a difficult time. We also use sanitiser and sanitize the shopping trolley at the supermarket. Yes they still supply the wipes. Please take all precautions you can through this ongoing time

Masks should still be enforced. We haven't stopped wearing our masks when out shopping or appointments since Covid began. And it's still here. Some think it's just a cold. It isn't and especially for those of us with immune compromised. I have had Breast twice now and so both my husband and myself wear masks whenever we are out. He wears the Maskit cloth mask with replaceable filters and washes the mask regularly. I wear a P2 mask or N95 disposable mask.
With flu, Covid and RSV all around it's going to be a difficult time. We also use sanitiser and sanitize the shopping trolley at the supermarket. Yes they still supply the wipes. Please take all precautions you can through this ongoing time
With all due respect, do you buy a big supply of toilet paper? That you wear a mask because you are immuno compromised is admirable but please DON'T impose masks on everyone else.

May I ask where you got this information please.
The flu vaccine changes every year to the variant the Northern hemisphere has from their winter outbreak. Which was much higher because people have become complacent since Covid and forget Flu still exists. The reason we have had low flu outbreaks until last year is because masks were mandatory. And our Medical practice still asks patients with flu or Covid and symptoms to wear a mask while inside the practice.

May I ask where you got this information please.

I have been having flu shots for the last 27 years and have never had a trace of the flu.
I also had four COVID shots and have not had COVID
My daughter had four COVID shots, as she is immune compromised. She did get COVID and yes it was no worse than a cold.
Isn't that what we are told, not that you won't get it but that it won't be as serious.
My son and his family, who are anti vacs, are now suffering with their third dose of COVID and are all sick as a dog.
Think I'll stick with the vaccinations thanks very much.

Why have you had Breast twice and what exactly is it?

Thank you, and also SDC, for keeping alive the topic of sensible Public Health practices. There is too much bloody-minded stupidity going around via the "anti-vaxx New World Order UN conspiracy " people. Given what we know and what is in the modern scientific literature their ignorance and superstition beggars belief.

I note that in the hospitals where I live the medical staff, nurses and doctors, commonly do not wear face N95 masks. That should be mandatory. However, Dr Semmelweiss,1818-1865, was locked up in a lunatic asylum for insisting that the doctors working under his direction washed their hands when dealing with mothers who had just given birth. By doing so, he brought the death-rate from "puerperal fever" down from 17% to 1%. Yet his colleagues blackguarded him and in 1865 old he died in a lunatic asylum because of his concerns.

J Prev Med Hyg. 2021 Sep; 62(3): E621–E624 for a readable account of that breakthrough in medicine, hand-washing.
Published online 2021 Sep 15. doi: 10.15167/2421-4248/jpmh2021.62.3.2161

I had a cold 6 weeks ago for 3 days (36 hrs) NO JABS what so ever... and i dont give a shit about a medal, its easy to do but there are to many brain dead dipshits out there who wont take any notice.. well how sad to bad tell someone who cares, you lot keep going and getting your jabs it will make more room for the rest of us.

I had a cold 6 weeks ago for 3 days (36 hrs) NO JABS what so ever... and i dont give a shit about a medal, its easy to do but there are to many brain dead dipshits out there who wont take any notice.. well how sad to bad tell someone who cares, you lot keep going and getting your jabs it will make more room for the rest of us.
Just because people have a different view to you does not make them "brain-dead dipshits".
There are millions of people out there who have shots every year, still alive, imagine that!!
They by far outnumber those who have died from not having it.
By the way the saying is"too bad, (double o) so sad" not the other way around.
Your "no vacs"stance is your choice, I don't think anybody else really cares
No need to be such a"try hard"to shove your opinion down other people's throats.
I might start "to take notice" when you post your Degree you received in the study of this subject.

The 3-day cold is not the same virus as is influenza. (or Covid) although the three-day cold has similar onset symptoms to influenza. Therefore influenza vaccines will not work to prevent a "cold".
Exactly, it's not too hard to see who the "brain dead dipshit"is, doesn't even know the difference between the common cold and the flu.