Hospitals on high alert as influenza cases continue to surge

As the winter cool comes in full swing, Australians are facing a health challenge that's all too familiar—the seasonal flu.

However, this year's influenza outbreak has been formidable.

Due to a significant surge in cases, hospitals have been on high alert.

It's a reminder that apart from COVID-19, other respiratory illnesses remain a potent threat to our well-being.

The spike in flu cases in Victoria has been alarming—a 28 per cent increase in cases was reported over the past fortnight.

New South Wales isn't faring much better—according to the NSW Health Respiratory Surveillance report, there has been a 33 per cent rise in severe influenza cases.

These numbers are not just statistics; they represent a growing pressure on our healthcare system and a risk to the vulnerable members of our community.

compressed-hospital.jpeg
Hospitals have warned about the surge in influenza and other respiratory cases since last month. Image Credit: Shutterstock/doublelee

Epidemiologists like Professor Adrian Esterman attributed this uptick to several factors.

'Fewer and fewer people are protecting themselves with face masks and handwashing. Because of that, people are more exposed to the flu than this time last year,' Professor Esterman said.

'The second reason is there's been a bit of an early start to the flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. The current strain of influenza that's circulating now is identical to that in the Northern Hemisphere last winter,' he added.

With international travel also back in full swing, these flu strains eventually found their way Down Under.

Dr Max Mollenkopf's advice was straightforward.

'When you are sick, just stay at home. The office doesn't need you that badly. We can help everyone to stay well.'

He also emphasised the importance of vaccinations for both COVID and influenza.

Children, in particular, have been vectors for the spread of the flu.

'So many younger kids, they're eligible for free flu vaccines, and really they're the ones bringing it from daycare and school, and they're the ones spreading it throughout the community,' he added.

Victorian Chief Health Officer Clare Looker also urged residents to get their flu shots.

'The flu can be deadly—getting vaccinated is the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones,' she advised.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported 59 influenza deaths as of March 2024, with the highest numbers in NSW, Victoria, and Queensland.

These figures are a sombre reminder of the flu's potential impact.

To combat the increasing number of cases, the National Immunisation Program made influenza vaccinations free for those at higher risk.

This program caters to children from six months to under five years old, pregnant women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, citizens aged 65 and over, and individuals with certain medical conditions.

These groups could experience severe complications from the flu, making vaccination a vital step in protecting them.

By taking preventive measures and looking out for each other, we can help ease the burden on our hospitals and safeguard the health of our communities.
Key Takeaways

• Hospitals have reported a significant increase in influenza cases across Australia, with a 28 per cent rise in Victoria and a 33 per cent increase in NSW over the past weeks.
  • Hospitals have been on high alert, and experts strongly urged the public to get vaccinated against influenza.
  • Experts highlighted a decline in COVID-era protective practices, alongside increasing international travel as factors contributing to the surge.
  • Free influenza vaccinations are available under the National Immunisation Program for groups considered to be at higher risk.
Have you gotten your flu shot yet? How are you preparing for the flu season? Share your thoughts and any health tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
It’s only a spike in Influenza due to the fact that there was little to no cases recorded during Covid years. Influenza was being counted as Covid back then.

It’s only a spike in Influenza due to the fact that there was little to no cases recorded during Covid years. Influenza was being counted as Covid back then.
No it wasn't. Covid tests only showed the Covid numbers. Now the test show Covid, Influenza and RSV

I have been having flu shots for the last 27 years and have never had a trace of the flu.
I also had four COVID shots and have not had COVID
My daughter had four COVID shots, as she is immune compromised. She did get COVID and yes it was no worse than a cold.
Isn't that what we are told, not that you won't get it but that it won't be as serious.
My son and his family, who are anti vacs, are now suffering with their third dose of COVID and are all sick as a dog.
Think I'll stick with the vaccinations thanks very much.
I get every vaccine that the dr recommends. Neither my husband or myself has had Covid or the flu. I caught a nasty virus from a friend that was staying with us but not something that could not have been prevented. I have been to several large concerts in Melbourne. My husband has been to the UK recently and we have also both travelled to Sydney where my husband went to the footy. So we don’t shy away from people but so far so good. I think you have to be lucky not to catch Covid or the flu but it certainly doesn’t hurt to be up to date with the vaccines. I’m still in the washing hands mode and I do wipe down the shopping trolley and use the sanitizer. I’m not a fan of masks though but if anyone needs to wear them thats fine by me

Why don't these experts mention that current vaccines will not protect you against the current flu bug. So people, if you have the sniffles, stay home.
And keep your kids out of school/playschool/childcare if you are able to do so. That would also reduce the transmission of Covid-19.

No it wasn't. Covid tests only showed the Covid numbers. Now the test show Covid, Influenza and RSV
And you know this as a fact?
My GP told me that influenza was being picked up in the test kits as Covid and that is why I was told that if I test positive to go and have a proper nasal test!

Reactions: Hirst1
I had a cold 6 weeks ago for 3 days (36 hrs) NO JABS what so ever... and i dont give a shit about a medal, its easy to do but there are to many brain dead dipshits out there who wont take any notice.. well how sad to bad tell someone who cares, you lot keep going and getting your jabs it will make more room for the rest of us.
No one is dying from jabs, only the paranoid think that.

No, the flu was not seen anywhere near as much because of all the precautions we were taking, masks, not travelling, staying home. The flu didn't have a chance of spreading like normal.

And you know this as a fact?
My GP told me that influenza was being picked up in the test kits as Covid and that is why I was told that if I test positive to go and have a proper nasal test!
I did. I was positive to Covid as my son came home from working in Vietnam and he caught it on the flight. Had missed it for 3 yrs before that.

I had a cold 6 weeks ago for 3 days (36 hrs) NO JABS what so ever... and i dont give a shit about a medal, its easy to do but there are to many brain dead dipshits out there who wont take any notice.. well how sad to bad tell someone who cares, you lot keep going and getting your jabs it will make more room for the rest of us.
I think Greg350 is a clown. Firstly he laughs at your comment then removes his comment stating “no one is dying from the jabs”.
I think he should do some actual reasearch and question why one brand of vaccine has been removed from the market.
It caused major blood clotting and many 1000’s died from it!

I did. I was positive to Covid as my son came home from working in Vietnam and he caught it on the flight. Had missed it for 3 yrs before that.
That has nothing to do with Influenza being recorded as Covid!

I think Greg350 is a clown. Firstly he laughs at your comment then removes his comment stating “no one is dying from the jabs”.
I think he should do some actual reasearch and question why one brand of vaccine has been removed from the market.
It caused major blood clotting and many 1000’s died from it!
Why wouldn't we laugh at her/his comments. Had a cold for three days and thinks she's a hero because she didn't have a jab. There's a mighty big difference between the common cold and influenza.
Who the heck gets a jab for the common cold.
As you state there was one jab removed from the market, past tense, Greg350 said dying, present tense. I haven't heard anything about people currently dying, except from the paranoid crowd.
I don't know why they don't keep their paranoid beliefs, which they are certainly entitled to have, to themselves.

Why wouldn't we laugh at her/his comments. Had a cold for three days and thinks she's a hero because she didn't have a jab. There's a mighty big difference between the common cold and influenza.
Who the heck gets a jab for the common cold.
As you state there was one jab removed from the market, past tense, Greg350 said dying, present tense. I haven't heard anything about people currently dying, except from the paranoid crowd.
I don't know why they don't keep their paranoid beliefs, which they are certainly entitled to have, to themselves.
Maybe then you should keep your beliefs to yourself.
Of cause you haven’t heard about people dying from the jabs.
Do you think they are going to tell you?
If they told the truth then no one would get a jab!
Also doesn’t fit the agenda of large profits for the Pharma companies and political brown paper bag parcels!

Here is some information to amuse the antivax conspiracy freaks ( Downloaded in italics). In the USA scientists have built an open source, internationally available data-base system that will enable the rapid development of vaccines in the event of any arising pandemic. I have only one question; why cannot Australia do this type of research? Lack of funding for science, perhaps?

Now read on. Odd how the team involved researchers from 3 countries and in particular, China. I think Australia is certainly backward in becoming forward; is that government policy about grant funding for science research?

“The battle with COVID-19 is not over yet, but we cannot wait to start preparing for the next pandemic. VirusMED is a step towards an advanced information system that brings together researchers with diverse expertise to tackle complex biomedical challenges,” said Minor, the Harrison Distinguished Professor of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics at UVA. “The information contained in virusMED will help viral researchers from many disciplines, especially those working on drug design or anti-viral therapies. We provide novel structural analysis and integrate pertinent information from various resources to provide a comprehensive picture of the proteins’ most important and vulnerable regions.”

Virus Hotspots

By quickly unlocking the SARS-CoV-2 virus mechanism of action, scientists were able to develop safe and effective vaccines for COVID-19. Minor’s new database aims to put that type of critical information at scientists’ fingertips in one convenient location.

VirusMED contains extensive information on virus species and strains, hosts, viral proteins, and antibodies, as well as drugs that have already been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, among other important scientific data. The researchers call the points of interest on a virus its “hotspots,” and these hotspots make for strong starting points for drug and vaccine development.

University of Virginia School of Medicine researcher Wladek Minor, PhD, and collaborators in China and Poland have developed an Internet information system, called virusMED, that lays out all we know about the atomic structure and potential vulnerabilities of more than 800 virus strains from 75 different virus families, including SARS-CoV-2, influenza, Ebola and HIV 1.

“One of the most promising strain-indifferent antibody therapies developed for the treatment of COVID-19 used this type of information to improve upon a unique antibody isolated from a survivor who was infected by the SARS virus back in 2003,” said David Cooper, PhD, research faculty in Minor’s lab. “People who are surprised by rapid drug and vaccine design don’t realize that researchers today are building upon decades of previous research.”

One of virusMED’s major advantages is that it brings together the extant knowledge about viruses in one location, Minor said. Previously, that data was spread across multiple resources and often “siloed” so that it was not easily accessible. With virusMED, researchers can browse the information by virus or by their hotspot of interest.

The free and accessible for all database can be found at https://virusmed.biocloud.top.

“One of the goals of my lab is to make tools that other scientists can use. We look at the forest and find ways to help others focus on the trees,” Minor said. “Resource generation is not glamourous, but the ultimate goal of science is to make life better. One of the anonymous peer-reviewers of the paper claimed they instantly became an enthusiastic user of the system. We expect virusMED to really make a difference.”

Reference: “virusMED: an atlas of hotspots of viral proteins” by HuiHui Zhang, Pei Chen, Haojie Ma, Magdalena Woinska, Dejian Liu, David R. Cooper, Guo Peng, Yousong Peng, Lei Deng, Wladek Minorc and Heping Zheng, 28 September 2021, IUCr Journal.

DOI: 10.1107/S2052252521009076

Maybe then you should keep your beliefs to yourself.
Of cause you haven’t heard about people dying from the jabs.
Do you think they are going to tell you?
If they told the truth then no one would get a jab!
Also doesn’t fit the agenda of large profits for the Pharma companies and political brown paper bag parcels!
And so they told you, yes!! You're a bit more in on the secret, not like all the millions of us dumbos I guess.
Must be nice to be one of the few in the know.
I guess we'll all find out when we all start falling off the perch in our millions, all over the world.
Paranoia running riot amongst the oh so clever minority.

Here is some information to amuse the antivax conspiracy freaks ( Downloaded in italics). In the USA scientists have built an open source, internationally available data-base system that will enable the rapid development of vaccines in the event of any arising pandemic. I have only one question; why cannot Australia do this type of research? Lack of funding for science, perhaps?

Now read on. Odd how the team involved researchers from 3 countries and in particular, China. I think Australia is certainly backward in becoming forward; is that government policy about grant funding for science research?

“The battle with COVID-19 is not over yet, but we cannot wait to start preparing for the next pandemic. VirusMED is a step towards an advanced information system that brings together researchers with diverse expertise to tackle complex biomedical challenges,” said Minor, the Harrison Distinguished Professor of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics at UVA. “The information contained in virusMED will help viral researchers from many disciplines, especially those working on drug design or anti-viral therapies. We provide novel structural analysis and integrate pertinent information from various resources to provide a comprehensive picture of the proteins’ most important and vulnerable regions.”

Virus Hotspots

By quickly unlocking the SARS-CoV-2 virus mechanism of action, scientists were able to develop safe and effective vaccines for COVID-19. Minor’s new database aims to put that type of critical information at scientists’ fingertips in one convenient location.

VirusMED contains extensive information on virus species and strains, hosts, viral proteins, and antibodies, as well as drugs that have already been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, among other important scientific data. The researchers call the points of interest on a virus its “hotspots,” and these hotspots make for strong starting points for drug and vaccine development.

University of Virginia School of Medicine researcher Wladek Minor, PhD, and collaborators in China and Poland have developed an Internet information system, called virusMED, that lays out all we know about the atomic structure and potential vulnerabilities of more than 800 virus strains from 75 different virus families, including SARS-CoV-2, influenza, Ebola and HIV 1.

“One of the most promising strain-indifferent antibody therapies developed for the treatment of COVID-19 used this type of information to improve upon a unique antibody isolated from a survivor who was infected by the SARS virus back in 2003,” said David Cooper, PhD, research faculty in Minor’s lab. “People who are surprised by rapid drug and vaccine design don’t realize that researchers today are building upon decades of previous research.”

One of virusMED’s major advantages is that it brings together the extant knowledge about viruses in one location, Minor said. Previously, that data was spread across multiple resources and often “siloed” so that it was not easily accessible. With virusMED, researchers can browse the information by virus or by their hotspot of interest.

The free and accessible for all database can be found at https://virusmed.biocloud.top.

“One of the goals of my lab is to make tools that other scientists can use. We look at the forest and find ways to help others focus on the trees,” Minor said. “Resource generation is not glamourous, but the ultimate goal of science is to make life better. One of the anonymous peer-reviewers of the paper claimed they instantly became an enthusiastic user of the system. We expect virusMED to really make a difference.”

Reference: “virusMED: an atlas of hotspots of viral proteins” by HuiHui Zhang, Pei Chen, Haojie Ma, Magdalena Woinska, Dejian Liu, David R. Cooper, Guo Peng, Yousong Peng, Lei Deng, Wladek Minorc and Heping Zheng, 28 September 2021, IUCr Journal.

DOI: 10.1107/S2052252521009076
Thanks for that information
Only one problem,the antivaxers won't read that,it doesn't fit with their agenda
If they did bother to read it they would do a Trump and yell "fake news".
These people are always looking for government conspiracies, communists under the beds, spies around every corner.
You could produce all the proof in the world and they still won't believe it.
People will believe what they want to believe. Look at the poor people in Russia, completely brain washed.
Best to just leave them to their own beliefs.

Reactions: Trina G and Hirst1
How many thousands? I was not one of them.
To answer my own question; some information from the TGA web-site, in itaics below. It seems that the adverse event score arising as a result of vaccination is around 2.1 in 1000. The total adverse event report score to 8th January 2023 is 137,406 adverse events among 64,549,484 vaccinations. The TGA web-site also shows statistics for the various vaccines used but I can't get these to copy-and paste easily so you can look at the web-site yourself. You might also care to further compare the percentage of adverse events from smallpox vaccinations and poliomyelitis vaccinations, both of which were world-wide programmes. I can't be bothered digging out those statistics although it would not be difficult. Such statistics would also be available for BCG, typhoid, cholera, encephalitis, hepatitis and influenza vaccinations amonng others. So rather than making sweeping assertions, you may care to check reality.

From the TGA website:

• Reporting rates of adverse events following COVID-19 vaccination are very stable. More detail on vaccine safety in children, adolescents and adults following vaccination is available in the safety report published on 15 December 2022.
  • We are carefully monitoring and reviewing reports of myocarditis and pericarditis (inflammation of the heart or membrane around the heart) following vaccination. These are usually temporary conditions, with most people getting better within a few days.
  • Myocarditis is a known but very rare side effect of the mRNA vaccines. It is reported in around 1-2 in every 100,000 people who receive Comirnaty (Pfizer) and around 2 in every 100,000 of those who receive Spikevax (Moderna). It occurs in males and females but is more common after the second dose in boys aged 12-17 years (13 cases per 100,000 Comirnaty doses and 24 cases per 100,000 Spikevax doses) and men under 30 (9 cases per 100,000 Comirnaty doses and 20 cases per 100,000 Spikevax doses).
  • We are also closely monitoring reports of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS), Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) and immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) following Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) in adults. However, since the end of 2021 very few doses of this vaccine are being used. Detailed information of our analysis of these adverse effects is available in a previous vaccine safety report.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information
Only one problem,the antivaxers won't read that,it doesn't fit with their agenda
If they did bother to read it they would do a Trump and yell "fake news".
These people are always looking for government conspiracies, communists under the beds, spies around every corner.
You could produce all the proof in the world and they still won't believe it.
People will believe what they want to believe. Look at the poor people in Russia, completely brain washed.
Best to just leave them to their own beliefs.
I understand your comment; however, there are utter bigots uttering utter bigotry; and there are those who may be confused utterly by the utterings of utter bigots, who usually have an agenda to push; and there is available information that might relieve the confused from the utter bigots' utterings. My being confused at times by certain bigoted utterings of bigots, I can understand the problem and so I try to find information so as to help me learn when utter bigots utter bigotry. And that information is worth passing on, otherwise it becomes a waste of time looking for it.

And at times my having a sense of humour, that article should certainly enable utter bigots to twist their knickers utterly.