From confusion to clarity: myGovID app gets a fresh new identity soon!

Navigating the digital landscape can be a bit of a maze, especially when it comes to keeping track of all the different government services and apps.

However, there's good news on the horizon for those of us who have been scratching our heads trying to differentiate between myGovID and the myGov services portal.

In a move that's set to simplify our digital experience, the Australian government has announced a significant change.

The Australian government’s digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ starting in mid-November.

This change is more than just a fresh coat of paint. It's a strategic decision aimed at eliminating the confusion that has surrounded these two separate entities.

For many, especially those who didn't grow up with a smartphone in hand, distinguishing between similarly named services can be unnecessarily complicated.

The upcoming rebranding to myID is a welcome step towards making digital government services more user-friendly and accessible.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 080355.jpg
The Australian government's digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to avoid confusion with the myGov services portal. Credit: myGovID

The transition to myID will be seamless, delivered as an app update through the App Store or Google Play.

‘When myGovID changes to myID, users won’t need to do anything differently,’ the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) stated.

‘Existing users will not need to set up a new myID.’

‘Login details and the user’s identity strength level set up in myGovID will stay the same and users can continue to use the app in the same way to securely access participating government online services,’ they added.

The decision to rebrand was one of the recommendations from the Critical National Infrastructure myGov User Audit report released in January 2023.

The myGovID app, which will soon be known as myID, enables users to verify their identity online without repeatedly sharing personal documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver’s licences.

Login details and identity strength levels established in myGovID will remain intact, and the app's functionality will continue as usual, allowing secure access to over 150 government online services.

As we anticipate the new look and name, the ATO has also issued a warning to be vigilant against impersonation scams.

‘Scammers can make fake websites or apps that look just like myGovID or myID,’ the ATO cautioned.

‘Only download the myGovID (soon myID) app from the official app stores (Google Play and the App Store).’

‘Don’t click on suspicious links, open attachments or download any files from suspicious emails or SMS; we will never send an unsolicited SMS that contains a hyperlink,’ they continued.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian government's digital ID app myGovID will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to distinguish it from the myGov services portal.
  • This change, scheduled for mid-November, aims to eliminate confusion and will be implemented through an app update.
  • Existing myGovID users will not need to create a new account for myID, and their login details and identity strength level will remain unchanged.
  • The ATO advised users to be vigilant for impersonation scams and to only download the app from official sources, while never clicking on unsolicited links.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this change. Have you used myGovID before, and do you think the rebrand to myID will make a difference in your digital dealings? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am more confused now than ever before. I don't have these things on my phone will this change happen to the computer version of MyGov, will I need to download these apps for my phone, I really don't understand all these app things.
You can still use the usual MyGov site on the computer. I put very little on my phone. Easier to lose a phone than a laptop or desktop.