From confusion to clarity: myGovID app gets a fresh new identity soon!

Navigating the digital landscape can be a bit of a maze, especially when it comes to keeping track of all the different government services and apps.

However, there's good news on the horizon for those of us who have been scratching our heads trying to differentiate between myGovID and the myGov services portal.

In a move that's set to simplify our digital experience, the Australian government has announced a significant change.

The Australian government’s digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ starting in mid-November.

This change is more than just a fresh coat of paint. It's a strategic decision aimed at eliminating the confusion that has surrounded these two separate entities.

For many, especially those who didn't grow up with a smartphone in hand, distinguishing between similarly named services can be unnecessarily complicated.

The upcoming rebranding to myID is a welcome step towards making digital government services more user-friendly and accessible.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 080355.jpg
The Australian government's digital ID app, myGovID, will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to avoid confusion with the myGov services portal. Credit: myGovID

The transition to myID will be seamless, delivered as an app update through the App Store or Google Play.

‘When myGovID changes to myID, users won’t need to do anything differently,’ the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) stated.

‘Existing users will not need to set up a new myID.’

‘Login details and the user’s identity strength level set up in myGovID will stay the same and users can continue to use the app in the same way to securely access participating government online services,’ they added.

The decision to rebrand was one of the recommendations from the Critical National Infrastructure myGov User Audit report released in January 2023.

The myGovID app, which will soon be known as myID, enables users to verify their identity online without repeatedly sharing personal documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver’s licences.

Login details and identity strength levels established in myGovID will remain intact, and the app's functionality will continue as usual, allowing secure access to over 150 government online services.

As we anticipate the new look and name, the ATO has also issued a warning to be vigilant against impersonation scams.

‘Scammers can make fake websites or apps that look just like myGovID or myID,’ the ATO cautioned.

‘Only download the myGovID (soon myID) app from the official app stores (Google Play and the App Store).’

‘Don’t click on suspicious links, open attachments or download any files from suspicious emails or SMS; we will never send an unsolicited SMS that contains a hyperlink,’ they continued.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian government's digital ID app myGovID will be rebranded as ‘myID’ to distinguish it from the myGov services portal.
  • This change, scheduled for mid-November, aims to eliminate confusion and will be implemented through an app update.
  • Existing myGovID users will not need to create a new account for myID, and their login details and identity strength level will remain unchanged.
  • The ATO advised users to be vigilant for impersonation scams and to only download the app from official sources, while never clicking on unsolicited links.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this change. Have you used myGovID before, and do you think the rebrand to myID will make a difference in your digital dealings? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
They are working towards the TOTAL CONTROL of us. Just another step... 'one small step for mankind, a great leap into CONTROL'
In the end they will know EXACTLY the minute detail of what we are doing in live time.... mark my words. The following video was made in 2018 so yo can imagine where they are now....we are only scraping the surface....

They certainly are not trustworthy, and never have been !
Look at all the hacks going on? Why would anyone want to go digital ID ?

Reactions: Cheezil
Must be awful living in constant fear, paranoid behaviour like yours needs attention.
The facts are there for everyone (those who have the negative power) to see.
My so-called 'fear' is based on 70-odd years of piecing together information and coming to a conclusion....
If I were to seek medical attention it would end up in the reverse.
As the saying goes "There are none so blind as those that can't see"

They are working towards the TOTAL CONTROL of us. Just another step... 'one small step for mankind, a great leap into CONTROL'
In the end they will know EXACTLY the minute detail of what we are doing in live time.... mark my words. The following video was made in 2018 so yo can imagine where they are now....we are only scraping the surface....

Yes but only a year or so ago people who predicted this were labelled tin foil hats & called conspiracy theoristss! I wonder how many are eating humble pie now/yet

Reactions: Aquila and IAN3005
Hhmm i had no idea there were 2 similar apps/websites?? So now I am more confused than ever! Pretty sure I wont be able to access the app wit my dodgey phone anyway (cant get the MyTelstra app or the Westpac app either as my phone says this phone incompatible for software updates, (I've only had the fknthing a couple yrs & paid $1300 for it, now I'm expected to replace it wit a new one- fk off- powers that be want us all broke whilst a select few get weatlthier & wealthier :(

Yes but only a year or so ago people who predicted this were labelled tin foil hats & called conspiracy theoristss! I wonder how many are eating humble pie now/yet
EXACTLY... I am prepared for it and sit back and enjoy the show laughing...

Reactions: summadale
I am more confused now than ever before. I don't have these things on my phone will this change happen to the computer version of MyGov, will I need to download these apps for my phone, I really don't understand all these app things.
I am right with you. I don't have a snart phone. I don't understand apps. I find it hard enough now trying to do any form of business on the computer; if they change everything I will be completely cutoff as all these things have moved way too fast for me to keep up. I just learn how a new change works & they change it again!!! HELP!!!

• Love
Reactions: Witty and Cheezil
never put all your eggs in one basket is the old saying - don’t put all your info in the mygov app - if they get hacked someone will have ALL your info!

Reactions: summadale
ANOTHER SMALLL STEP ON THE SLIPPERY SLOPE TOWARDS TOTAL CONTROL BY COMPLETELY INEPT ARSEHOLE GOVERNMENT. (HAPPENED TO GOVERNMENT BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE. COLLECTIVE BASTARD GOVERNMENTS FUCKED IT UP)
That's the way it goes.....

After lodging all my identity requirements my access is limited to standard only. Why? Because I don't have a passport.

Why should I need to purchase a $AUD 398 AUD passport to prove my identity when I have already supplied my 1947 birth certificate, my current, Australian Motor Driver's License (MDL), my Pension CRN, my Medicare CRN and any other personal ID info that they require?

This is NOTHING BUT another MONEY GRAB SCAM authorised by an overfed, greedy government, that absolutely in no manner at all cares a rip about their population, especially their natural-born subjects.

Time to vote against all forms of party politics and insert independent representatives to our parliaments. Please note this for our next state and federal elections.

Reactions: Witty
how do you get on if you do not have a smart phone?.Everything today seems to rovolve around a smart phone
You are probably lucky, unless you have a computer or iPad they will get you that way 😂. At least for the moment I’m not digital re license but they have my email

I can't see that this will change things. Scammers will still get into their scams to try and fool everybody.

"This change, scheduled for mid-November, aims to eliminate confusion"
As far as I can see it will do nothing but add to the confusion.
To think we pay these public servants and politicians good salaries for WHAT???
I suppose they need to to tax us more through control to keep boosting their income.
Government IT need to do these changes to justify their jobs.