Finding it hard to fall asleep at night? Try this military trick!

Do you spend countless hours every night turning and tossing on your bed, desperately trying to fall asleep? Well, you’re not alone in this one. Wouldn't it just be great if our bodies just had an off switch?

That’s why we’re glad to share with you this sleep hack we came across on TikTok, claiming that this technique was developed in the military and can make you fall asleep in as little as two minutes!

mZ6poAs2ggmOb9MpOedSzoDRjTyp84aL9L6rAIPSfpkShQ3kHsrewG07sAoj6x8ZBIXhZlQsGCX8oVnGKLZzH5G-bbN-8OzkN8NqMt5J3la-ua5Ez48n8kFAtoniHRRhkec_d0oB

Fitness trainer shares tip to fall asleep within two minutes. Credit: TikTok/@justin_agustin.

“This technique was developed in the military to allow soldiers to fall asleep at any time, any place,” said fitness trainer Justin Agustin on the video.

“According to my research, this was developed mainly for fighter pilots who need 100% of their reflexes and focus, which we all know decreases with lack of sleep.”

Sharing the sleeping hack on his TikTok account, he demonstrated the steps to fall asleep within two minutes. Here’s how he did it:
  1. First, relax your jaw and facial muscles, including your tongue.
  2. Now drop your shoulders down as far as they’ll go to release the tension.
  3. Keep your arms loose by your sides, relaxing your fingers and hands.
  4. Exhale deeply to relax your chest, then relax the muscles in your legs and feet.
  5. Imagine a calming, warm sensation spreading from your head down to your toes.
  6. Inhale and exhale deeply, clearing your mind of thoughts and stresses.
  7. Now think about one of the following two images:
    - You are lying on your back in a canoe on a placid, calm lake with nothing but a crystal clear sky above you.
    - You are lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room.
But if you find yourself restless and your mind is still wandering somewhere, Justin recommends repeating the words “don’t think” over and over for about 10 seconds, until you return to your visualisations, or until you fall asleep.

By practising the technique every night for around six weeks, Justin claims you will be able to fall asleep within two minutes of closing your eyes. Pretty useful, isn’t it?

Apparently, many people found the technique to be effective as well and shared their own experiences.

“My doctor taught me this technique with slight variations when I had insomnia due to PTSD,” wrote one person. “Trust me, it works 100 per cent once you get it down.”

Another person said, “I’m a military brat and was taught this; it definitely works.”

The military sleep method is not actually a new technique as it has been around since the ’80s. It was described as a highly effective method to help you switch off your body in two minutes or less, and has gained popularity ever since on sites like TikTok and Facebook.

And even though most people claim to have success with the sleep trick, its effectiveness still depends on just how often you practice it. And don’t worry if it doesn’t work the first time you try it, it is still completely normal to take around 20-30 minutes to fall asleep.

But there’s no harm in trying, right? After all, the point is still to completely take a breather and relax your body before sleeping.

We hope this hack leaves you feeling fresh and rejuvenated! Good luck!

Sponsored
I am one of the lucky ones that have no problems in falling asleep. I read in bed every night, sometimes a page, sometimes a chapter but as soon as my eyes get heavy it's book down, light out, turn over and then it's morning!!:)
This is exactly my ritual too. I also make sure I'm not reading anything that is too 'thrilling',

Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci
Finding it hard to fall asleep at night? Try this military trick!

Do you spend countless hours every night turning and tossing on your bed, desperately trying to fall asleep? Well, you’re not alone in this one. Wouldn't it just be great if our bodies just had an off switch?

That’s why we’re glad to share with you this sleep hack we came across on TikTok, claiming that this technique was developed in the military and can make you fall asleep in as little as two minutes!

mZ6poAs2ggmOb9MpOedSzoDRjTyp84aL9L6rAIPSfpkShQ3kHsrewG07sAoj6x8ZBIXhZlQsGCX8oVnGKLZzH5G-bbN-8OzkN8NqMt5J3la-ua5Ez48n8kFAtoniHRRhkec_d0oB

Fitness trainer shares tip to fall asleep within two minutes. Credit: TikTok/@justin_agustin.

“This technique was developed in the military to allow soldiers to fall asleep at any time, any place,” said fitness trainer Justin Agustin on the video.

“According to my research, this was developed mainly for fighter pilots who need 100% of their reflexes and focus, which we all know decreases with lack of sleep.”

Sharing the sleeping hack on his TikTok account, he demonstrated the steps to fall asleep within two minutes. Here’s how he did it:

1. First, relax your jaw and facial muscles, including your tongue.
  2. Now drop your shoulders down as far as they’ll go to release the tension.
  3. Keep your arms loose by your sides, relaxing your fingers and hands.
  4. Exhale deeply to relax your chest, then relax the muscles in your legs and feet.
  5. Imagine a calming, warm sensation spreading from your head down to your toes.
  6. Inhale and exhale deeply, clearing your mind of thoughts and stresses.
  7. Now think about one of the following two images:
    - You are lying on your back in a canoe on a placid, calm lake with nothing but a crystal clear sky above you.
    - You are lying in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room.
But if you find yourself restless and your mind is still wandering somewhere, Justin recommends repeating the words “don’t think” over and over for about 10 seconds, until you return to your visualisations, or until you fall asleep.

By practising the technique every night for around six weeks, Justin claims you will be able to fall asleep within two minutes of closing your eyes. Pretty useful, isn’t it?

Apparently, many people found the technique to be effective as well and shared their own experiences.

“My doctor taught me this technique with slight variations when I had insomnia due to PTSD,” wrote one person. “Trust me, it works 100 per cent once you get it down.”

Another person said, “I’m a military brat and was taught this; it definitely works.”

The military sleep method is not actually a new technique as it has been around since the ’80s. It was described as a highly effective method to help you switch off your body in two minutes or less, and has gained popularity ever since on sites like TikTok and Facebook.

And even though most people claim to have success with the sleep trick, its effectiveness still depends on just how often you practice it. And don’t worry if it doesn’t work the first time you try it, it is still completely normal to take around 20-30 minutes to fall asleep.

But there’s no harm in trying, right? After all, the point is still to completely take a breather and relax your body before sleeping.

We hope this hack leaves you feeling fresh and rejuvenated! Good luck!

this is the exact method that I was taught to prepare for natural childbirth nothing military about this

I am one of the lucky ones that have no problems in falling asleep. I read in bed every night, sometimes a page, sometimes a chapter but as soon as my eyes get heavy it's book down, light out, turn over and then it's morning!!:)
Sounds like a good plan to me ;)

Reactions: Ricci
@Ricci and @KatKop - very jealous... I often take hours to fall asleep.

Are there any specific genres / types of books you go for? Like fiction vs. non fiction?
I read almost anything (even the bus timetable if there's nothing else available!) At the moment I'm into murder mysteries but that could change soon. I tend to find an author I like and then read everything they've ever written, then move on to the next author.:)📖

I have no trouble going to sleep the first time.
After an hour, I'm wide awake again, for about 2 hours.
After another "sleep" of 15 - 30 minutes, I'm awake again for 2 hours.
It started after doing years of Night Duty....2 months Days, 1 month Night. Or extra Nights if they were short of night duty staff.
Then my first child slept only for 2 broken hours sleep/24 for the first 2 years of her life. She was awake for 22 hours per day for 2 years!
The limited sleep clinics available back then couldn't help.
I think it's years of conditioning (negative) that have caused my problem.
I don't sleep during the day, so that I'm tired to go to bed, but nothing helps.
I am so used to so little sleep that my body seems to have got used to it.
I will certainly try this system, with positive expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci
I have no trouble going to sleep the first time.
After an hour, I'm wide awake again, for about 2 hours.
After another "sleep" of 15 - 30 minutes, I'm awake again for 2 hours.
It started after doing years of Night Duty....2 months Days, 1 month Night. Or extra Nights if they were short.
Then my first child slept only for 2 broken hours sleep/24 for the first 2 years of her life. She was awake for 22 hours per day for 2 years!
The limited sleep clinics available back then couldn't help.
I think it's years of conditioning (negative) that have caused my problem.
I don't sleep during the day, so that I'm tired to go to bed, but nothing helps.
I am so used to so little sleep that my body seems to have got used to it.
I will certainly try this system, with positive expectations.
Hey JayKay, try the books I suggested above - dont buy them, borrow them from the library and see if they help. My life has improved so much since I have read them and implemented mindfulness into my lifestyle - and I wish you many Blessings trying to get better sleep as it is so important for every aspect of your life and everyday living. Sending Love and Light xxx

Hey JayKay, try the books I suggested above - dont buy them, borrow them from the library and see if they help. My life has improved so much since I have read them and implemented mindfulness into my lifestyle - and I wish you many Blessings trying to get better sleep as it is so important for every aspect of your life and everyday living. Sending Love and Light xxx
Grateful thanks....I've written the titles down.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
@Ricci and @KatKop - very jealous... I often take hours to fall asleep.

Are there any specific genres / types of books you go for? Like fiction vs. non fiction?
I have a stack of books across a range of genres on my bedside table so I do not select a specific one for the bedtime ritual. However, as soon as I realise that I'm busy with a real page-turner, I'll grab another one instead (history or self-help or fiction or an autobiography).

These are great relaxation techniques which I learnt away from the military. I'd like to add a few helpful hints:
* use the word 'calm' slowly when exhaling (if I used 'dont think' it would distract me big time)
* dont watch TV or computer screen after 8pm
* dont eat a meal after 8pm

Sleep soundly

I learned and used this technique from a hypnotist to give up smoking. It was on a CD together with background music for relaxation and positive reinforcement that "I am a non smoker". The idea was to use it for 14 days straight to break the smoking habit (or could be used for wieght loss or many other things that we wanted to change). I used the system and successfully gave up smoking which had been a 25 year habit. That was in 1997, haven't smoked or even craved a cigarette since..
Interesting thing was that after playing the CD I would enjoy the best nights sleep I could wish for.
I can still get that CD out and listen to it now and enjoy a vastly improved sleep through the night.
All proves the immense power of the subconscious mind.

I am a late person, rarely in bed before 2am, I also suffer from sleep apnoea so behind the eight ball before I start.. consequently I'm a poor sleeper rarely getting more than 6 hours a night. yawwwwwn

• Sad
Reactions: KatKop and Ricci