Elderly woman left in critical condition after horrific hospital attack

Content Warning: This article mentions physical violence against the elderly, which some might find upsetting. Reader’s discretion is advised.

In a shocking incident that has left many reeling, an 81-year-old woman is in dire straits after a brutal attack in the emergency department of a Sydney hospital.

Police initially responded to an assault at Bankstown Hospital where two women, aged 63 and 58, were reportedly attacked by a patient.

In a horrifying escalation, the same assailant was alleged to have inflicted bodily harm on the mother of these victims, the 81-year-old woman.

The New South Wales Police described the situation: 'It's further alleged the man then choked the woman and hit her head against the wall, causing her to lose consciousness.'

Hospital staff intervened promptly, providing immediate assistance and medical treatment to the victims.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 114150.png
A man was charged after attacking three women at Bankstown Hospital. Source: MJ La-Fernandez/Google Maps

The accused was arrested on the spot and, once medically cleared, was taken to Bankstown Police Station.

The man, whose identity has not been disclosed by the police, was subsequently charged overnight. He was charged with causing grievous bodily home with intent, to different counts of choking and assault occasioning bodily harm.

He was scheduled to appear at Parramatta Local Court last January 5.

It was said that the other injured individuals had been discharged from the emergency department with minimal injuries.

The 81-year-old woman, on the other hand, suffered significant facial injuries and has since developed bleeding in the brain. She remains in critical condition at Bankstown Hospital.

A spokesperson for Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital stated: 'Our social workers are providing support to the patient's family.’

The spokesperson also confirmed that no staff members were injured in the incident, but counselling and support have been offered to those who witnessed the horrifying event.

The hospital is fully cooperating with the police investigation and has assured that public access to the emergency department has been maintained, with no disruption to patient care or services.

‘The hospital is assisting the police inquiries and cannot make any further comment,’ the spokesperson added.

You can watch 7News’ coverage of this story here:

Our thoughts are with the victims of this horrifying incident and their families. We hope for a swift recovery for those injured and justice for this heinous act.

Key Takeaways
  • A man has been charged after allegedly attacking an elderly woman in the emergency department of Bankstown Hospital in Sydney.
  • The 81-year-old woman is in a critical condition following the alleged assault, which also involved her daughters, aged 63 and 58.
  • Hospital staff intervened, and the man was arrested and charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, along with different counts of choking and assault occasioning bodily harm.
  • The hospital is providing support to the patients and staff involved, and the hospital services continued without disruption following the incident. Police are investigating the matter while the hospital assists with their inquiries.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
You are right Suzanne Rose. I have been on both ends of this type of scenario. Firstly, as I mentioned before my ex husbands mental health problems.
But also with a son, who I had to watch wash his life down the drain with drug addiction. My beautiful gentle little boy turned into somebody I didn't recognize anymore.
Drug addicts are responsible for their own demise
.People with mental health issues are not. That is why their name is not released to the public until police gave finished their investigation.
I don't know if the police have since released these details and that is how you know, but if it was because your daughter told you that is a very different matter and would be very wrong of
her.
He was also a patient of the hospital and hospital records are private. I hope for her sake it is the former.

Pass the news to others in jail and I think he will receive his punishment.

When?if
Content Warning: This article mentions physical violence against the elderly, which some might find upsetting. Reader’s discretion is advised.

In a shocking incident that has left many reeling, an 81-year-old woman is in dire straits after a brutal attack in the emergency department of a Sydney hospital.

Police initially responded to an assault at Bankstown Hospital where two women, aged 63 and 58, were reportedly attacked by a patient.

In a horrifying escalation, the same assailant was alleged to have inflicted bodily harm on the mother of these victims, the 81-year-old woman.

The New South Wales Police described the situation: 'It's further alleged the man then choked the woman and hit her head against the wall, causing her to lose consciousness.'

Hospital staff intervened promptly, providing immediate assistance and medical treatment to the victims.

View attachment 38699
A man was charged after attacking three women at Bankstown Hospital. Source: MJ La-Fernandez/Google Maps

The accused was arrested on the spot and, once medically cleared, was taken to Bankstown Police Station.

The man, whose identity has not been disclosed by the police, was subsequently charged overnight. He was charged with causing grievous bodily home with intent, to different counts of choking and assault occasioning bodily harm.

It was said that the other injured individuals had been discharged from the emergency department with minimal injuries.

The 81-year-old woman, on the other hand, suffered significant facial injuries and has since developed bleeding in the brain. She remains in critical condition at Bankstown Hospital.

A spokesperson for Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital stated: 'Our social workers are providing support to the patient's family.’

The spokesperson also confirmed that no staff members were injured in the incident, but counselling and support have been offered to those who witnessed the horrifying event.

The hospital is fully cooperating with the police investigation and has assured that public access to the emergency department has been maintained, with no disruption to patient care or services.

‘The hospital is assisting the police inquiries and cannot make any further comment,’ the spokesperson added.

Our thoughts are with the victims of this horrifying incident and their families. We hope for a swift recovery for those injured and justice for this heinous act.

Key Takeaways

• A man has been charged after allegedly attacking an elderly woman in the emergency department of Bankstown Hospital in Sydney.
  • The 81-year-old woman is in a critical condition following the alleged assault, which also involved her daughters, aged 63 and 58.
  • Hospital staff intervened, and the man was arrested and charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, along with different counts of choking and assault occasioning bodily harm.
  • The hospital is providing support to the patients and staff involved, and the hospital services continued without disruption following the incident. Police are investigating the matter while the hospital assists with their inquiries.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Share them in the comments below.

When/rapist is caught, judge will let him out on jail to rape again.

Good chance ice was involved. I know that area well . Or maybe he had head injuries that were not visible. Ice does make the person very aggressive but I feel the staff would have picked that up quickly .
Yes, medical professionals, and those out in public, face attacks daily, drug, or alcohol fuelled, and on occasion, attributed to mental illness.

You are right Suzanne Rose. I have been on both ends of this type of scenario. Firstly, as I mentioned before my ex husbands mental health problems.
But also with a son, who I had to watch wash his life down the drain with drug addiction. My beautiful gentle little boy turned into somebody I didn't recognize anymore.
Drug addicts are responsible for their own demise
.People with mental health issues are not. That is why their name is not released to the public until police gave finished their investigation.
I don't know if the police have since released these details and that is how you know, but if it was because your daughter told you that is a very different matter and would be very wrong of
her.
He was also a patient of the hospital and hospital records are private. I hope for her sake it is the former.
No his name has been published. His name came out yesterday.

All my daughter said was this scenario didn't surprise her. They have guards everywhere .

Oh great, obviously if they have released his name it doesn't bode well for him.
Don't know what this world is coming to
A violent assault in the emergency department of a Sydney hospital that left a woman fighting for her life was senseless and unprovoked, court documents allege.
Furniture removalist Richard Po Lun Lim, of Russel Lea, was remanded in custody on Friday afternoon after he appeared in Parramatta Local Court over the assaults at Bankstown Hospital.

Police allege Lim, 28, grabbed two women, aged 58 and 63, and assaulted them about 3am on Thursday, before punching and choking an 80-year-old woman and hitting her head against a wall, causing her to lose consciousness.

The eldest woman was in a critical but stable condition in hospital on Friday afternoon. The younger women – believed to be related to the older woman – have been discharged.

Lim has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm to a person with intent, choking a person with intent to commit an indictable offence, intentionally choking a person with recklessness and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

inal offence.

“These offences are senseless, unprovoked and seriously violent assaults that have resulted in the infliction of serious and life-threatening injuries and significant victim fear,” the document states.

“These offences were committed upon three defenceless women, one of whom is elderly.”

Police claimed their case against Lim was strong, as they had gathered forensic evidence and multiple statements from the victims and witnesses and may obtain CCTV evidence, with jail “highly probable” if Lim were to be convicted. They reasoned that he should be refused bail due to the nature and seriousness of the alleged offending.

A hospital spokesperson said social workers were supporting the family of the elderly woman still in hospital after the assault and that no staff had been injured. Those who had witnessed the incident had been offered counselling and support.

A violent assault in the emergency department of a Sydney hospital that left a woman fighting for her life was senseless and unprovoked, court documents allege.
Furniture removalist Richard Po Lun Lim, of Russel Lea, was remanded in custody on Friday afternoon after he appeared in Parramatta Local Court over the assaults at Bankstown Hospital.

Police allege Lim, 28, grabbed two women, aged 58 and 63, and assaulted them about 3am on Thursday, before punching and choking an 80-year-old woman and hitting her head against a wall, causing her to lose consciousness.

The eldest woman was in a critical but stable condition in hospital on Friday afternoon. The younger women – believed to be related to the older woman – have been discharged.

Lim has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm to a person with intent, choking a person with intent to commit an indictable offence, intentionally choking a person with recklessness and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

inal offence.

“These offences are senseless, unprovoked and seriously violent assaults that have resulted in the infliction of serious and life-threatening injuries and significant victim fear,” the document states.

“These offences were committed upon three defenceless women, one of whom is elderly.”

Police claimed their case against Lim was strong, as they had gathered forensic evidence and multiple statements from the victims and witnesses and may obtain CCTV evidence, with jail “highly probable” if Lim were to be convicted. They reasoned that he should be refused bail due to the nature and seriousness of the alleged offending.

A hospital spokesperson said social workers were supporting the family of the elderly woman still in hospital after the assault and that no staff had been injured. Those who had witnessed the incident had been offered counselling and support.
I do think there is more to this story but the bottom line is people need to feel safe in a hospital, maybe they need more staff

inal offence.

Thank you for that Suzanne Rose, I didn't hear anything about that over here in WA

View attachment 38699

Key Takeaways

Don't worry, the law will give the accused every possible opportunity to get off scot free, and if appeal after appeal fails, will release them on bail to have another go.

Golly it's so sad. It's as if someone has flicked a switch and our beautiful country is totally going down the tube. I don't recall 🤔 when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s the sort of horror that we hear every day. My sister was living in East Africa and that was out of control but it was quietened down.
I do believe there was generally more respect as many folk were still reeling from WW2 and we still did as was expected of us. Like civilised people do.
I don't pretend to know the answer and looking towards what is meant to be the best country in the world, not my words only repeating, as The United States of America is so scary. Go to school get shot, go grocery shopping get stabbed, get sick and hospital care for uninsured folk is basically non existent. I scratch my head trying to see great then toss that Trump fellow into it i reckon id sell my possessions buy a boat and hit the Polynesian Islands, can't be worse can it?
Australia we have to take back our country, somehow.

PS I apologise about the length of my reply. I don't see many people 😕
Well said!
You forgot to mention South Africa, Since the ANC (a supporter of Hamas and the PLO) took over in 1995, the country has not only been officially downgraded to a 3rd world country, but is also been listed as one of the top most dangerous in the world.

Having been born there and also a member of the Red Cross, it has become normality to see stabbings, shootings, dead bodies and an excessively high rate of motor accidents due to lack of law and order with a highly corrupt police force.
I recall a 74 y.o. friend of ours in a wheelchair, due to spina bifida, been mugged in the street and beaten to an inch of his life,

When I immigrated to Australia and worked in a Psyche Ward for 8 years, I recall how after any incident of violence or self-harm witnessed, we were offered psychological assistance. Although having rejected the offer after a suppressed giggle, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes, things are getting much worse in this beautiful country, but still nothing compared to many others. Hopefully, we can learn from them too.

I stumbled upon Lets Lucky Casino in Australia website while searching for a reliable source of information about online casinos. I was pleasantly surprised by the wealth of content they offer. From in-depth game reviews to valuable tips on maximizing bonuses, the site has become my go-to resource for all things related to online gambling.

View attachment 38699

Key Takeaways

Having spent many long hours in an emergency department in Victoria, was pleased to see a security guard in the door. So sorry this poor lady didn’t have the same protection.

Reactions: June E
He was Richard Po Lun Lim 28, of Russel Lea, he was remanded in custody Friday afternoon after he appeared in Parramatta Local Court over the assaults at Bankstown Hospital.

Apparently he was unknown to these women and he was in Casuality after he was involved in a car accident. One on the 81 year old daughters had an altercation with him when she went to the toilet and it escalated from there.

My daughter has been doing work placement at that hospital and security is very tight .

Apparently the 81 year old is in a critical condition with a bleeding brain , so not looking good for her
It's all happening too often, like my husband with the walking stick incident. You need to have someone to protect you, even in the hospital.
Hope your daughter stays safe. 🌹

It's all happening too often, like my husband with the walking stick incident. You need to have someone to protect you, even in the hospital.
Hope your daughter stays safe. 🌹
People don't realise exactly what nurses go through . I have one daughter working in the operating room, one daughter at uni who wants to do Paediatric nursing but needs to do alot of work placement in different areas first including pych ward.
And another is a RN and works as a Geriatric nurse who now only does home visits .

Reactions: June E
He was Richard Po Lun Lim 28, of Russel Lea, he was remanded in custody Friday afternoon after he appeared in Parramatta Local Court over the assaults at Bankstown Hospital.

Apparently he was unknown to these women and he was in Casuality after he was involved in a car accident. One on the 81 year old daughters had an altercation with him when she went to the toilet and it escalated from there.

My daughter has been doing work placement at that hospital and security is very tight .

Apparently the 81 year old is in a critical condition with a bleeding brain , so not looking good for her
My mother passed away in Bankstown Hospital. I will just say that Richard Po Lun Lim would meet the same fate if I was there.

The lowest of the low. And I know why but will not say anything more for fear of being judgemental. Nothing to do with racism either for those who jump the gun.

View attachment 38699

Key Takeaways

disgusting.

Reactions: Veggiepatch