Driving shift: Senior road safety debate heats up in this Aussie state

Navigating the roads of life can be just as tricky as navigating the roads Down Under, especially as people age.

For many in the over-60s club, driving is synonymous with independence, but it's also a responsibility that one must manage with care.

In one Aussie state, the conversation about older drivers and road safety is heating up, which could mean changes are on the horizon for how seniors maintain their driver's licenses.

Currently, there's no Australia-wide standard for assessing the driving capabilities of older individuals.

However, a recent push in Victoria is aiming to tighten the reins on how seniors renew their driving privileges, following some alarming statistics.

Over the past five years, drivers over the age of 65 have been involved in accidents that resulted in 145 fatalities and 7,080 injuries.

These figures have sparked a debate on whether stricter regulations could potentially save lives.

compressed-shutterstock_498629623.jpeg
More stringent regulations for older drivers in Victoria were being urged due to alarming accident statistics involving those aged 65 and above. Credits: Shutterstock

Dr Anita Muñoz from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners is advocating for expanded regulations in Victoria.

‘This is not about discriminating against older people,’ she explained, 'but a recognition that the skills required to drive safely can be lost as we get older.’

The tragic story of Hugh Roberts, a teenager struck by an older driver, added a personal and poignant dimension to the discussion.

His parents, Meiko and Alex, are calling for tougher regulations, highlighting the devastating impact that an accident can have on families.

‘His life was completely messed up because of this old guy driving crazily,’ Ms Roberts said.

‘He shouldn't have been driving,’ Hugh’s father added.

‘Maybe there are 87-year-olds who can drive safely, but you would want to have that checked.’

Rather than being compelled to take a mandatory test, older Victorian drivers only need to disclose any medical condition that might affect their driving ability.

‘It makes me very nervous as a clinician because it is up to the patient to act on my advice and notify VicRoads,’ Dr Kate Gregorevic explained.

She emphasised that driving provides older individuals with freedom and independence, but stressed the importance of an annual driving and medical evaluation.

In contrast, New South Wales has a more stringent measure.

Drivers aged 75 and over must undergo an annual medical test, and those over 85 must pass a practical driving test every two years.

Many elderly NSW drivers opt for a modified license to avoid the on-road tests, which limit their driving distance and may include nighttime restrictions.

Dr Muñoz suggested that annual medical examinations would enable drivers to be informed about health issues that could impact their driving abilities.

On the other hand, Chris Potaris, CEO of Council on the Ageing Victoria and Seniors Rights Victoria, argued that mandatory testing could lead to older drivers giving up their licenses prematurely.

'We continue to support Victoria's approach, which emphasises a driver's behaviour and medical fitness to operate a motor vehicle,' he asserted.

‘Driving should be based on ability, not on age.’

As older drivers in Victoria face discussions about changes to their license requirements, millions of motorists across the state are gearing up for a major shift in licensing regulations.

The proposed alterations, including the introduction of medical assessments for older drivers, have sparked debates about safety and independence among senior citizens.

This move comes as the state is experiencing significant adjustments in its driving regulations, prompting concerns and discussions among older drivers and the broader community.
Key Takeaways
  • Calls are increasing for stricter regulations on older drivers in Victoria due to concerning accident statistics involving drivers over 65.
  • Disturbing figures show that older drivers were responsible for accidents resulting in 145 deaths and injurious to 7,080 over five years.
  • Current Victorian regulations only require older drivers to self-report medical conditions affecting their driving, without mandatory tests.
  • In contrast, NSW requires drivers aged 75 and over to undergo an annual medical assessment, and those over 85 must also complete a practical driving test every two years.
What are your thoughts on this proposed change? Do you think this should be applied across the country? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I BELIEVE IN MEDICAL ASSESSMENTS FOR EVERYONE WHO HOLDS A DRIVING LICENCE.MY G.P.REPORTED TO VICROADS WHEN SHE DIAGNOSED ME WITH DIABETES 2.I WAS TOLD THIS WAS AN OBLIGATION SHE HAD TO ABIDE BY. AND NOW I HAVE TO SUBMIT A MEDICAL REPORT ANNUALLY TO RETAIN MY LICENCE, I DONT MIND DOING THIS. I SPENT MANY YEARS DRIVING HEAVY TRANSPORT AND I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE A SAFE DRIVER, I JUST TURNED 83, AND I SEE MANY INSTANCES ON THE ROAD OF VERY POOR DRIVING PRACTICES, AND THESE ARE NOT ALL ELDERLY DRIVERS , MANY RANGE FROM P/PLATERS TO DRIVERS MUCH YOUNGER THAN ME. WE NEED HARSHER PENALTIES FOR BAD DRIVING TO KEEP OUR ROADS SAFE.

I am an older driver 85 I think it’s a very good thing to be monitored as we don’t realise ourselves how we have changed
I have been having annual medical for driving for some years, no big deal. This year 1st physical test is booked, I’m happy to do this as I want to make sure I’m still safe behind the wheel
Better to be safe than sorry is a true motto

I BELIEVE IN MEDICAL ASSESSMENTS FOR EVERYONE WHO HOLDS A DRIVING LICENCE.MY G.P.REPORTED TO VICROADS WHEN SHE DIAGNOSED ME WITH DIABETES 2.I WAS TOLD THIS WAS AN OBLIGATION SHE HAD TO ABIDE BY. AND NOW I HAVE TO SUBMIT A MEDICAL REPORT ANNUALLY TO RETAIN MY LICENCE, I DONT MIND DOING THIS. I SPENT MANY YEARS DRIVING HEAVY TRANSPORT AND I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE A SAFE DRIVER, I JUST TURNED 83, AND I SEE MANY INSTANCES ON THE ROAD OF VERY POOR DRIVING PRACTICES, AND THESE ARE NOT ALL ELDERLY DRIVERS , MANY RANGE FROM P/PLATERS TO DRIVERS MUCH YOUNGER THAN ME. WE NEED HARSHER PENALTIES FOR BAD DRIVING TO KEEP OUR ROADS SAFE.
i agre with you

I am 88 years old and I spent 20 years teaching people to drive up to and including articulated vehicles. I agree that older people should have medical checks and driving tests. The Victoria statistics are not great, but I would like to see them compared with those drivers up to 25 years of age, that would give a sensible comparison. As an aside, I was once called to check out a 92 year old before he went for his test, and I could not fault him. I live in a country town and my longest trip these days is 70 Ks to the nearest big town and I pass my tests.

GP's usually have a say if elderly drivers should surrender their driver's licence. I thought it was always proper to lodge medical conditions at the time of testing. I know of a couple of elderly people who shouldn't be driving, while others have approval to solely drive to the local shops and never at night.

I have recently successfully undergone a driver’s onroad test.I think it is essential for older drivers. However, I am shocked as I drive to see the number of drivers who neglect to indicate when changing lanes & approaching roundabouts. Giving just one flick as you turn is not sufficient. Other drivers can easily miss the sign & accidents happen. Constant attention to driving in all respects seems to be lacking.

I am over 75 so the yearly mandatory medicals are a fact of life. I personally know people with dementia and practically no hearing that still drive and I wonder how’s that possible. The laws around driving abilities are too slack. It is after a sudden medical episode i.e. mild heart attack or a stroke or change of medication that impairs concentration and alertness that these people are able to still drive until their next medical when it’s due. Unless the licence is surrendered voluntarily, no one on the road is safe.

I am a senior (78) and I have to pass the annual medical exam before my license is re-issued, I have no problem with this and also when I reach the age of mandatory driving tests I will also have no problem with it. There are too many accidents involving senior drivers. Let's face it, once we reach a certain age our reflexes are not as sharp as they were when we were younger. I won't drive in the night now, as I have trouble seeing properly. The new proposals concerning senior drivers is not discrimination, it is common sense,

I am the only one who is sick and tired of the excuse of "hitting the accelerator instead of the brake"? I have driven over 2 million kilometres and have NEVER performed such an uncoordinated act.

Do people who do this stumble when they walk? Who doesn't know where one's feet are in relation to the rest of their body and the immediate surroundings? Unless you have ataxia.

I am 80 and here in WA we have to have to fill in a comprehensive 2 page form mainly on medical but also accidents etc. A doctor has to sign off after certain medical tests and eye tests. Then you have to wait for the Transport people to approve and you may get it for a year at a time. Yet people full of all sorts of junk with little children in poorly maintained cars can swerve all over the roads and complain if others are following the speed limits.