Driving shift: Senior road safety debate heats up in this Aussie state

Navigating the roads of life can be just as tricky as navigating the roads Down Under, especially as people age.

For many in the over-60s club, driving is synonymous with independence, but it's also a responsibility that one must manage with care.

In one Aussie state, the conversation about older drivers and road safety is heating up, which could mean changes are on the horizon for how seniors maintain their driver's licenses.

Currently, there's no Australia-wide standard for assessing the driving capabilities of older individuals.

However, a recent push in Victoria is aiming to tighten the reins on how seniors renew their driving privileges, following some alarming statistics.

Over the past five years, drivers over the age of 65 have been involved in accidents that resulted in 145 fatalities and 7,080 injuries.

These figures have sparked a debate on whether stricter regulations could potentially save lives.

compressed-shutterstock_498629623.jpeg
More stringent regulations for older drivers in Victoria were being urged due to alarming accident statistics involving those aged 65 and above. Credits: Shutterstock

Dr Anita Muñoz from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners is advocating for expanded regulations in Victoria.

‘This is not about discriminating against older people,’ she explained, 'but a recognition that the skills required to drive safely can be lost as we get older.’

The tragic story of Hugh Roberts, a teenager struck by an older driver, added a personal and poignant dimension to the discussion.

His parents, Meiko and Alex, are calling for tougher regulations, highlighting the devastating impact that an accident can have on families.

‘His life was completely messed up because of this old guy driving crazily,’ Ms Roberts said.

‘He shouldn't have been driving,’ Hugh’s father added.

‘Maybe there are 87-year-olds who can drive safely, but you would want to have that checked.’

Rather than being compelled to take a mandatory test, older Victorian drivers only need to disclose any medical condition that might affect their driving ability.

‘It makes me very nervous as a clinician because it is up to the patient to act on my advice and notify VicRoads,’ Dr Kate Gregorevic explained.

She emphasised that driving provides older individuals with freedom and independence, but stressed the importance of an annual driving and medical evaluation.

In contrast, New South Wales has a more stringent measure.

Drivers aged 75 and over must undergo an annual medical test, and those over 85 must pass a practical driving test every two years.

Many elderly NSW drivers opt for a modified license to avoid the on-road tests, which limit their driving distance and may include nighttime restrictions.

Dr Muñoz suggested that annual medical examinations would enable drivers to be informed about health issues that could impact their driving abilities.

On the other hand, Chris Potaris, CEO of Council on the Ageing Victoria and Seniors Rights Victoria, argued that mandatory testing could lead to older drivers giving up their licenses prematurely.

'We continue to support Victoria's approach, which emphasises a driver's behaviour and medical fitness to operate a motor vehicle,' he asserted.

‘Driving should be based on ability, not on age.’

As older drivers in Victoria face discussions about changes to their license requirements, millions of motorists across the state are gearing up for a major shift in licensing regulations.

The proposed alterations, including the introduction of medical assessments for older drivers, have sparked debates about safety and independence among senior citizens.

This move comes as the state is experiencing significant adjustments in its driving regulations, prompting concerns and discussions among older drivers and the broader community.
Key Takeaways
  • Calls are increasing for stricter regulations on older drivers in Victoria due to concerning accident statistics involving drivers over 65.
  • Disturbing figures show that older drivers were responsible for accidents resulting in 145 deaths and injurious to 7,080 over five years.
  • Current Victorian regulations only require older drivers to self-report medical conditions affecting their driving, without mandatory tests.
  • In contrast, NSW requires drivers aged 75 and over to undergo an annual medical assessment, and those over 85 must also complete a practical driving test every two years.
What are your thoughts on this proposed change? Do you think this should be applied across the country? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Perhaps the people drafting theses regulations should spend a lot more time on the road . Most older driver drive slower than the rest BUT a fair percentage of young driver , o/seas drivers Truck driver seem to think they can flout the rules. Once again we the hierarchy trying to divide the people again. 🤬🤬
The younger ones always complain if other drivers do not sit on the speed limit. It is a limit not a target. Having had an airbag go off in my car, I would not wish the injuries to anyone. If everyone was a careful driver we would be so much better off

Reactions: Sassafras and Rob44
Now the FACTS to dispel the MYTHS.

The 40 to 64 age group had the most road accident deaths

There have been 367 road accident deaths in the 40 to 64-year-old age group. The type of accidents this age group are commonly involved in are nose-to-tail crashes and sideswipes.

The second-highest category of fatalities by age is 17 to 25, with a total of 223 deaths in 2022. This figure is followed by the age group of 26 to 39 (219 deaths), 75 and over (146 deaths), 65 to 74 (114 deaths) and 0 to 16 (61 deaths).

The 0 to 16 age group figure has not changed in the last year but increased from 45 fatalities in 2020 to 61 in 2021.

Car accidents are a top concern for over 70% of people aged 65+. While more than 58% of those aged between 35 and 44 are also most worried about car accidents, only 2.1% fear a train crash. In the 18 to 24 age bracket, 58.7% are concerned about the scenario of a car accident as well.

Source: https://www.savvy.com.au/media-releases/australian-car-accidents-report-2022-statistics-deadly-causes-and-how-to-minimise-your-risk/#:~:text=The 40 to 64 age group had the most road accident deaths&text=This figure is followed by,2020 to 61 in 2021.

For those who are skeptical of these figures, check the Australian Government's Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics website.
Well said.

"In Victoria, over the past five years, drivers over the age of 65 have been involved in accidents that resulted in 145 fatalities and 7,080 injuries."

Perhaps "In Victoria" is the operative term?
It also begs the questions of:
How many fatalities over that same 5 years involved drivers under-65?;
How many drivers, of whatever age, involved in fatalities actually held a licence at the time?

Reactions: DLHM and Gazman
All drivers should undergo an eye test every 10 - 15 years. The number of people on the roads who it appears cannot see properly is disturbing. And yes, all drivers over 75 should need a medical certificate to prove they are capable of being on the road. Everything else should be the same as for all drivers. Statistics would prove that us older drivers are safer than younger inexperienced drivers. Perhaps they should quote statistics for all age groups, tossers.

"In Victoria, over the past five years, drivers over the age of 65 have been involved in accidents that resulted in 145 fatalities and 7,080 injuries."

Perhaps "In Victoria" is the operative term?
It also begs the questions of:
How many fatalities over that same 5 years involved drivers under-65?;
How many drivers, of whatever age, involved in fatalities actually held a licence at the time?
Spot on, were they the only fatalities? I doubt that. What a load of horse malarkey!

I'm in NSW and just off to an optician to have an eye test for them to pass on to my doctor so he can do the rest of my medical for fitness to drive. I had to tell the transport department I had type 2 diabetes.😕

My wife, who is older than me has had a letter about her renewal that she also has to have an eye test. She can either go to an optician or a Service NSW office where the eye test is.........reading some letters on a screen!!!🙄 If I wasn't having a medical as well I would have opted for that. 👍

Including in the UK, and here, I've been driving for 50+ years and only been done for speeding a few times. I think I'd still be ok for another 50 years. 😁

I believe in medical and road tests, but there is a big difference from 65 and 87 as given as an example.
Another example might be a couple with a pregnant wife killed here by a 20-30yr old driver, but that doesn't fit the narrative, so is irrelevant.
Then to publish in isolation the over 60s figures without other age comparisons is misleading, also without stating whether they were the cause given around 25% of drivers (and growing) are aged.
Elderly are also more susceptible to road fatalities given their physical/health disadvantages, and as stated only 29/yr on average over 60 have been involved where a death has resulted.
In 2021 there were 236 road deaths in Vic so the 29 for over 60 age group then pales into insignificance when compared, what is that, around 12%?

Reactions: Rob44
I strongly feel that tougher regulation is needed for both the older age group over 75, AND younger age group. 16-25. Both groups should be limited to 4-cylinder cars (unless a heavier vehicle is required for work, but the vehicle must be owned by, and registered to the workplace as a work car, not the individual); extend the P-plate period to age 25, and introduce a new E-plate for elderly drivers over 70 with a known medical condition or on medications, or 75 without. Both P and E platers would have strict conditions to be adhered to.

It is still a fact that the vast majority of accidents are with inexperienced drivers under 25 flouting road rules, as well as older people with various medical conditions that limit their capacity to drive; in both cases it's about their capacity to remain focussed on their driving. This needs to be taken into account when licenses are granted.

I also personally feel that the technology now exists for speed limiters to be applied to ALL vehicles rendering the capacity to speed impossible (note, speeding to overtake a semi or B-double is no excuse). These limiters should also include the ability for police to remotely shut down a vehicle engine (no more chasing). This same tech could also work in reverse by notifying the nearest police vehicle if the limiter is opened, bypassed, or tampered with in any way. Such steps would basically end vehicle-related crime completely. Put simply, I'm saying that if people are, for whatever reason, not capable of being responsible with vehicles putting other innocent people at risk, then a greater responsibility needs to be granted to those who regulate the laws. There is no such thing as 'human rights to break the law'.

Last edited:
i being 81 years old in western australia has to have a medical every year till 85 then have to have a medical and driving test after age 85 AND ABOVE THEY STATE FIGURES FOR SENIORS HOW ABOUT OTHERS LIKE DRUNK DRIVERS WHO LOSS THEIR LICENCE AND GET IT BACK AFTER THEIR SUSPENSION --NO TEST AND ONLY LOSS IT COMPLETELY AFTER 3 TIMES ---I THINK ALL STATES DESCRIMINATE AGAINST ALL SENIORS

this is how it is in WA.
apart from the seniors being involved in accidents, what about all the younger generation that get involved in serious accidents (mainly by being stupiv or pigheaded). how come they are not forced to undergo "ability to drive" tests?

As a 66yr old lady who drives I would recommend a tightening of the older person to drive a vehicle. We all have to agree that medical conditions can impact day to day living so it would be justified in saying that the aged person’s spacial awareness, reactive timing and medications take their toll on the human body. We all need to stand up and take responsibility for the increase in road deaths. Vehicles are weapons and if your ability to operate these weapons is reduced in any way then you make other plans for your own transportation.
You cannot or should not operate a gun, sword or knife if you impaired THEN you don’t operate machinery / vehicles of any kind. I hate the thought of my independence being taken away but then I would hate to kill or permanently injure someone if I was the person in charge of the weapon at the time of the accident.

Reactions: LynS and DLHM
i being 81 years old in western australia has to have a medical every year till 85 then have to have a medical and driving test after age 85 AND ABOVE THEY STATE FIGURES FOR SENIORS HOW ABOUT OTHERS LIKE DRUNK DRIVERS WHO LOSS THEIR LICENCE AND GET IT BACK AFTER THEIR SUSPENSION --NO TEST AND ONLY LOSS IT COMPLETELY AFTER 3 TIMES ---I THINK ALL STATES DESCRIMINATE AGAINST ALL SENIORS
Please stop thinking about yourself and take the burden off society and accept that as we age so does our body & mind.

this is how it is in WA.
apart from the seniors being involved in accidents, what about all the younger generation that get involved in serious accidents (mainly by being stupiv or pigheaded). how come they are not forced to undergo "ability to drive" tests?
They do by having their licences removed but I I agree they should all be retested before their licences are given back to them. Young drivers should all do a mandatory Defensive Driving course paid by themselves. Education is the key to everything but I am sick of people saying it is the Government’s responsibility…… we drive so we are all responsible for ourselves!!!

Reactions: LynS and DLHM
Revenue raising not all older drivers are dangerous the young P platers, multicultural driver's all nationalities are some of the worst drivers on the roads put you figures in perspective with young, multicultural and elderly and let's see the proper results 🤡's 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I am the only one who is sick and tired of the excuse of "hitting the accelerator instead of the brake"? I have driven over 2 million kilometres and have NEVER performed such an uncoordinated act.

Do people who do this stumble when they walk? Who doesn't know where one's feet are in relation to the rest of their body and the immediate surroundings? Unless you have ataxia.
It's called left-foot braking. Driving an auto car using the left foot to brake in a normal situation, they use their right foot quickly but hit the accelerator when they need to brake urgently. A foolish and dangerous idea.

Reactions: DLHM
Cost me $1,000 for a medical test by an occupational therapist, plus 2 visits to a neurologist... What a load of bullsh**.
A year later another assessment by the GP... If this is going to cost me$0.01 cent they have got another thought coming.... if they take my licence off me I hope they will provide transport free of charge,

You write, "Currently, there's no Australia-wide standard for assessing the driving capabilities of older individuals." Indeed there are national guidelines for fitness to drive covering most medical conditions. See https://austroads.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0037/498691/AP-G56-22_Assessing_Fitness_Drive.pdf (a 264 page document if you care to look).

What there is not is a national system to apply them, rather state-by-state rules. This will likely never be uniform. I live in Victoria, & support some sort of system for reassessment for fitness to drive, whereas currently there are effectively none.

The most important, but least publicised aspect of fitness to drive is that the onus remains on the DRIVER to know they are fit to drive (including notifying the state driving authorities of potentially impairing medical conditions). There is no legal defence in stating "No one told me not to drive". This is a fluid situation. Even a poor night's sleep ought to cause you to consider if you are safe today, let alone permanent conditions.

Yes but why are we targeting only aged drivers when P platers cause more accidents than older drivers?
I think you will find stringent rules apply to P platers. And as I said this discussion is about senior drivers. As we age, we certainly don't have the reflexes or the sight that we had in our younger years, so mandatory checks on our health etc is just common sense.