Driving shift: Senior road safety debate heats up in this Aussie state

Navigating the roads of life can be just as tricky as navigating the roads Down Under, especially as people age.

For many in the over-60s club, driving is synonymous with independence, but it's also a responsibility that one must manage with care.

In one Aussie state, the conversation about older drivers and road safety is heating up, which could mean changes are on the horizon for how seniors maintain their driver's licenses.

Currently, there's no Australia-wide standard for assessing the driving capabilities of older individuals.

However, a recent push in Victoria is aiming to tighten the reins on how seniors renew their driving privileges, following some alarming statistics.

Over the past five years, drivers over the age of 65 have been involved in accidents that resulted in 145 fatalities and 7,080 injuries.

These figures have sparked a debate on whether stricter regulations could potentially save lives.

compressed-shutterstock_498629623.jpeg
More stringent regulations for older drivers in Victoria were being urged due to alarming accident statistics involving those aged 65 and above. Credits: Shutterstock

Dr Anita Muñoz from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners is advocating for expanded regulations in Victoria.

‘This is not about discriminating against older people,’ she explained, 'but a recognition that the skills required to drive safely can be lost as we get older.’

The tragic story of Hugh Roberts, a teenager struck by an older driver, added a personal and poignant dimension to the discussion.

His parents, Meiko and Alex, are calling for tougher regulations, highlighting the devastating impact that an accident can have on families.

‘His life was completely messed up because of this old guy driving crazily,’ Ms Roberts said.

‘He shouldn't have been driving,’ Hugh’s father added.

‘Maybe there are 87-year-olds who can drive safely, but you would want to have that checked.’

Rather than being compelled to take a mandatory test, older Victorian drivers only need to disclose any medical condition that might affect their driving ability.

‘It makes me very nervous as a clinician because it is up to the patient to act on my advice and notify VicRoads,’ Dr Kate Gregorevic explained.

She emphasised that driving provides older individuals with freedom and independence, but stressed the importance of an annual driving and medical evaluation.

In contrast, New South Wales has a more stringent measure.

Drivers aged 75 and over must undergo an annual medical test, and those over 85 must pass a practical driving test every two years.

Many elderly NSW drivers opt for a modified license to avoid the on-road tests, which limit their driving distance and may include nighttime restrictions.

Dr Muñoz suggested that annual medical examinations would enable drivers to be informed about health issues that could impact their driving abilities.

On the other hand, Chris Potaris, CEO of Council on the Ageing Victoria and Seniors Rights Victoria, argued that mandatory testing could lead to older drivers giving up their licenses prematurely.

'We continue to support Victoria's approach, which emphasises a driver's behaviour and medical fitness to operate a motor vehicle,' he asserted.

‘Driving should be based on ability, not on age.’

As older drivers in Victoria face discussions about changes to their license requirements, millions of motorists across the state are gearing up for a major shift in licensing regulations.

The proposed alterations, including the introduction of medical assessments for older drivers, have sparked debates about safety and independence among senior citizens.

This move comes as the state is experiencing significant adjustments in its driving regulations, prompting concerns and discussions among older drivers and the broader community.
Key Takeaways
  • Calls are increasing for stricter regulations on older drivers in Victoria due to concerning accident statistics involving drivers over 65.
  • Disturbing figures show that older drivers were responsible for accidents resulting in 145 deaths and injurious to 7,080 over five years.
  • Current Victorian regulations only require older drivers to self-report medical conditions affecting their driving, without mandatory tests.
  • In contrast, NSW requires drivers aged 75 and over to undergo an annual medical assessment, and those over 85 must also complete a practical driving test every two years.
What are your thoughts on this proposed change? Do you think this should be applied across the country? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have recently successfully undergone a driver’s onroad test.I think it is essential for older drivers. However, I am shocked as I drive to see the number of drivers who neglect to indicate when changing lanes & approaching roundabouts. Giving just one flick as you turn is not sufficient. Other drivers can easily miss the sign & accidents happen. Constant attention to driving in all respects seems to be lacking.

Reactions: LynS
My 95 year old father was still driving up to a couple of months before he died and insisted he was fine, even driving long trips around the state to see family. As he aged his driving deteriorated and none of us kids would get in the car when he drove, instead insisted that we took the wheel. Unfortunately none of us were game to suggest he should not be driving (he lived in Victoria), or even have his licence restricted. In Victoria there was no obligation for his driving to be assessed as he got older. This latest change to review drivers over the age of 75, IMHO is a step in the right direction. I live in NSW and I have to have a medical assessment every year from 75yo onwards.

I looked up the Victorian road deaths over the last five year and 145 deaths mentioned in the article is 11.88% of the total. This means that 88% percent were from accidents involving people under 65.

I don't have an issue with the way people are tested here in NSW. My hubby does not drive very often, mainly because I take him everywhere. He has hung on to his licence just in case. To retain that licence he does have to undergo stringent testing. In his case, I feel the need to do that is vital, and, he understands the situation, so goes through the process willingly.
My issue is with the stated age in this proposed new law.
If people are expected to keep working until their 70's, then they must be fit enough to drive.

I am 79 year old Qld driver, we have to go through an optical and GP assessment before approval getting the all clear for another year. GP assessments are getting more stringent every year as we get older, I do not mind what we go through, although I they should also check on personal driving records. there are a lot of drivers out there that should not be driving, cutting in and out with no indication, or just indicate for a second and just cut in no allowing enough clearance before diving in front of you.

George A

7not

Actually I think each State should have the same laws... Also yes we should be tested regularly by our GPS but that doesn't happen - thank goodness I am still with it and about to be 70 🤣

Do better on the statistics of teenage stolen vehicle at least seniors insure registered and licensed

I think they need to make sure people who clearly can't drive properly in the first place do not get their drivers licence as there are far too many of them over here in WA and that would solve a lot of the problems to start with. They make it too easy for some who clearly have not a clue. I hope we are all responsible enough to recognise when we are no longer fit to drive but I am not sure that is how it actually works. I am sure it is for some but not for all.

Please stop thinking about yourself and take the burden off society and accept that as we age so does our body & mind.
I WAS A PROFFESSIONAL DRIVER ALL MY LIFE BOTH SEMIS AND BUSES ALL METRO AND COUNTRY SO TRISHY104 UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE SAME LESS OF THE CRITAZINIUM

An individual's ability to drive is not necessarily reflected in their diagnosed medical status. The ability to drive is by and large a matter of practical experience, more experience increases one's ability to drive. I first obtained my driver's licence in 1965. In those days one didn’t necessarily have the option to drive only a vehicle with an automatic transmission. So most of us in that era had to qualify in a manual vehicle.

The only accidents I have been involved in were the fault of other drivers, and more often than not, much younger and far less experienced drivers. I am not and never have been a casual driver. By necessity, I have driven pretty much every day of my life from a licensable age.

With all those years of driving experience, I am more qualified than the majority of other drivers, especially those of a younger age group. Add to this, my physical health is better than most people my age, and I have no problems that would pose a threat to my medical ability to drive.

Since there are likely many others in our community who are of a similar position to myself, to question an individual’s driving ability based upon someone else's opinion is nothing short of gross discrimination based upon age. Generally speaking, our western society is rampant with disrespect and discrimination against the elderly.

Perhaps they should also insist on younger drivers taking annual practical driving tests and especially professional driving instructors. It is apparent there is also a need for these to be taught how to use a roundabout correctly. I wonder just how much this would improve driver behaviour on our roads.

I am turning 79 shortly. Being able to drive means not only freedom, but it would be devastating to my Grandson, he relies very much on me getting him to his programs during the week. (He is Autistic) I am his primary Care Giver.
I would like, for the people to give due consideration to my Driving Record. I have been safely driving for 60 years.
Many years ago I had a "bingle" with a man who good have changed the outcome of the accident with a better control of his Car.
Where this happened,is on a street that is so wide " it was a landing strip for aeroplanes".In the past. He saw me long before I saw him. There was also a give way sign that was covered by tree branches. The attending police man, totally disregarded any reason by way
of explanation. There you have it, do you agree that it should not have happened.
Incidentally no body was hurt or injured.

Perhaps they should also insist on younger drivers taking annual practical driving tests and especially professional driving instructors. It is apparent there is also a need for these to be taught how to use a roundabout correctly. I wonder just how much this would improve driver behaviour on our roads.
What a great idea, bring it on. There are very good young drivers but if any of them have had fines or regular problems on the Road, they should be first in line for scrutiny I think.
That's one way to pick the Rev heads from the pack. There are ways and means to create and differentiate between good and bad drivers.

I am turning 79 shortly. Being able to drive means not only freedom, but it would be devastating to my Grandson, he relies very much on me getting him to his programs during the week. (He is Autistic) I am his primary Care Giver.
I would like, for the people to give due consideration to my Driving Record. I have been safely driving for 60 years.
Many years ago I had a "bingle" with a man who good have changed the outcome of the accident with a better control of his Car.
Where this happened,is on a street that is so wide " it was a landing strip for aeroplanes".In the past. He saw me long before I saw him. There was also a give way sign that was covered by tree branches. The attending police man, totally disregarded any reason by way
of explanation. There you have it, do you agree that it should not have happened.
Incidentally no body was hurt or injured.
I am 78 and have an exemplary driving record also. BUT as you age you don't have the reflexes you used to have when you are younger. My car also means freedom, but if I don't pass the any of the mandatory tests then it means giving up my license. These tests are not discrimination but common sense.

I feel younger people are more likely to cause accidents. They drive like idiots majority of the time. Do the stats on how many under 65s have caused accidents and injuries.

Reactions: Sassafras
It is called discrimination, against the over 65's. Lets test all young people for drugs before they get into their cars. You don't have to be over 65 to have a heart attack & there are plenty of young people who have medical problems that should prevent them from driving.

It is called discrimination, against the over 65's. Lets test all young people for drugs before they get into their cars. You don't have to be over 65 to have a heart attack & there are plenty of young people who have medical problems that should prevent them from driving.
It is not discrimination. Yes, you don't have to be over 65 to have a heart attack, but it is more likely in an older person. And young people with medical problems that should prevent them from driving, don't drive.