Drivers left in the dark: Medical review licence suspension process slammed

For a lot of Australian seniors, having a licence is not just a matter of convenience — it can be a lifeline.

It provides independence and the freedom to go where you want when you want.

So you can imagine how stressful it would be if your licence was suddenly taken away from you with no warning whatsoever… which is exactly what’s been happening in Victoria.

Sean DeAraugo has been legally required since 2016 to report his medical condition to VicRoads, Victoria’s road licensing authority.

Sean says VicRoads usually requests medical reviews by post, which he then accomplishes with the help of his doctor so he can continue driving.

In Victoria, people with conditions that may interfere with their driving and pose risks to the public are required to notify VicRoads of their condition.

However, at the height of the COVID pandemic from 2020-2021, DeAraugo said VicRoads didn’t send their usual request.

pexels-photo-2061417.jpg
Sean DeAraugo was in for quite a post-pandemic surprise when he was pulled over. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Matheus Ferrero

‘I didn't notice at the time because we were in the midst of COVID, and normal life wasn't really happening,’ he explained.

‘The next thing I knew, I was pulled over by police in 2021, and I was informed by police that my licence was suspended.’

DeAraugo promptly contacted VicRoads via email, and they emailed him the medical form he needed to answer.

‘I said, “In the future can you email me this correspondence? Because I don't want this to happen again”,’ he said.

‘I was told that they are legally required to request the medical reviews by post.’

While his licence has since been reinstated, DeAraugo isn’t in the clear yet as he still has to appear before a local court in February 2023 in relation to his suspension.

A guilty verdict would result in the charge being noted in his record — something he views with increasing concern.

‘I'm finding it quite stressful,’ DeAraugo admitted.

‘While common sense tells me I haven't done anything wrong … I am worried that the outcome may not be as good as I would like.’

He also said VicRoads informed him that they sent two correspondences in February and June 2021 — the second one informing him of his licence’s suspension — but he’s adamant he received nothing.

‘On this occasion, I haven’t received the letter about the medical review nor the licence being suspended,’ he said.

‘I haven't missed any other mail during that time from any other organisation.’

Unfortunately, DeAraugo isn’t the only one to have encountered the same problem with VicRoads.

ABC News discovered other incidents of drivers having their licences revoked without notice.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).png
Clare Ridgway was also shocked to find out her licence was suspended. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Peter Fazekas

On November 2, a woman named Clare Ridgway was shocked to find out her licence had been suspended when police pulled over her husband in a car registered under her name.

Earlier, Ridgway — clinically diagnosed with depression — completed VicRoads’ required medical assessment, but something went wrong with the form submission which led to her licence getting revoked.

She says VicRoads did not send her any letter informing her of her suspension.

Derek Lightbody is yet another case of another suddenly suspended licence, citing medical grounds.

As in DeAraugo and Ridgway’s stories, he also was pulled over by authorities one day and informed his licence was suspended despite no prior notice from VicRoads.

The correspondence came days later in his case.

‘Four days later, I got a letter from VicRoads advising me my licence had been suspended,’ Lightbody said.

‘I felt betrayed.’

Despite managing to escape from the ordeal without charges (after much back-and-forth between him and authorities), Lightbody is left grossly dissatisfied.

‘One letter isn’t enough,’ he stressed.

‘To rely on regular mail, it's not a timely process. It didn't require a signature.’

‘You wouldn't serve a court summons like that.’

In response to the unfortunate incidents experienced by some Aussies, a Department of Transportation spokesperson told ABC News VicRoads’ medical review process is a safety measure for Aussies travelling on Victoria’s roads.

‘We understand how important having a licence is for so many Victorians, and that is why we take this process so seriously, assessing every medical report on a case-by-case basis,’ they said.

Screenshot_1.png
DeAraugo, Ridgway, and Lightbody were all pulled over by police before finding out their licences were suspended. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/Dorje Rabbit

‘If VicRoads varies, suspends or cancels a driver licence/learner permit, the person can appeal the decision.’

According to the VicRoads website, this would mean appealing by requesting an internal review or filing an appeal to the state Magistrate’s Court.

But a line on the website reads: ‘However, you cannot appeal if VicRoads requests you to provide a medical, or other report, or asks you to undertake a driving test.’

The ABC also notes that VicRoads did not answer their query on whether or not they would consider sending notice of a licence suspension by registered post along with digital notifications.

The reliance on sending official notices through post exposes a glaring problem for VicRoads, according to Ash Galvin of the Peninsula Community Legal Centre.

Among the cases he handled was an 83-year-old woman in 2020 who, in the same fashion as DeAraugo, only found out her licence was suspended after getting pulled over.

‘There is the possibility that those notifications don't reach people for various reasons.’ he said.

‘It's really important that people are kept up to date with the status of their driver's licence.’

‘We'd like to see VicRoads explore further opportunities to better communicate to motorists.’

Victorians may contact VicRoads here for licence-related queries.

So, what do you think of this? Should VicRoads make efforts to deliver important notices through electronic means, as well, if only to avoid more incidents of missed notifications?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: YouTube/VicRoads

Sponsored
For a lot of Australian seniors, having a licence is not just a matter of convenience — it can be a lifeline.

So you can imagine how stressful it would be if your licence was suddenly taken away from you with no warning whatsoever… which is exactly what’s been happening in Victoria.

Sean DeAraugo has been legally required since 2016 to report his medical condition to VicRoads, Victoria’s road licensing authority.

Sean says VicRoads usually requests medical reviews by post, which he then accomplishes with the help of his doctor so he can continue driving.

In Victoria, people with conditions that may interfere with their driving and pose risks to the public are required to notify VicRoads of their condition.

However, at the height of the COVID pandemic from 2020-2021, DeAraugo said VicRoads didn’t send their usual request.

View attachment 10076
Sean DeAraugo was in for quite a post-pandemic surprise when he was pulled over. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Matheus Ferrero

‘I didn't notice at the time because we were in the midst of COVID, and normal life wasn't really happening,’ he explained.

‘The next thing I knew, I was pulled over by police in 2021, and I was informed by police that my licence was suspended.’

DeAraugo promptly contacted VicRoads via email, and they emailed him the medical form he needed to answer.

‘I said, “In the future can you email me this correspondence? Because I don't want this to happen again”,’ he said.

‘I was told that they are legally required to request the medical reviews by post.’

While his licence has since been reinstated, DeAraugo isn’t in the clear yet as he still has to appear before a local court in February 2023 in relation to his suspension.

A guilty verdict would result in the charge being noted in his record — something he views with increasing concern.

‘While common sense tells me I haven't done anything wrong … I am worried that the outcome may not be as good as I would like.’

He also said VicRoads informed him that they sent two correspondences in February and June 2021 — the second one informing him of his licence’s suspension — but he’s adamant he received nothing.

‘On this occasion, I haven’t received the letter about the medical review nor the licence being suspended,’ he said.

Unfortunately, DeAraugo isn’t the only one to have encountered the same problem with VicRoads.

ABC News discovered other incidents of drivers having their licences revoked without notice.

View attachment 10075
Clare Ridgway was also shocked to find out her licence was suspended. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Peter Fazekas

On November 2, a woman named Clare Ridgway was shocked to find out her licence had been suspended when police pulled over her husband in a car registered under her name.

Earlier, Ridgway — clinically diagnosed with depression — completed VicRoads’ required medical assessment, but something went wrong with the form submission which led to her licence getting revoked.

Derek Lightbody is yet another case of another suddenly suspended licence, citing medical grounds.

As in DeAraugo and Ridgway’s stories, he also was pulled over by authorities one day and informed his licence was suspended despite no prior notice from VicRoads.

‘Four days later, I got a letter from VicRoads advising me my licence had been suspended,’ Lightbody said.

‘I felt betrayed.’

Despite managing to escape from the ordeal without charges (after much back-and-forth between him and authorities), Lightbody is left grossly dissatisfied.

‘To rely on regular mail, it's not a timely process. It didn't require a signature.’

In response to the unfortunate incidents experienced by some Aussies, a Department of Transportation spokesperson told ABC News VicRoads’ medical review process is a safety measure for Aussies travelling on Victoria’s roads.

‘We understand how important having a licence is for so many Victorians, and that is why we take this process so seriously, assessing every medical report on a case-by-case basis,’ they said.

View attachment 10077
DeAraugo, Ridgway, and Lightbody were all pulled over by police before finding out their licences were suspended. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/Dorje Rabbit

‘If VicRoads varies, suspends or cancels a driver licence/learner permit, the person can appeal the decision.’

According to the VicRoads website, this would mean appealing by requesting an internal review or filing an appeal to the state Magistrate’s Court.

But a line on the website reads: ‘However, you cannot appeal if VicRoads requests you to provide a medical, or other report, or asks you to undertake a driving test.’

The ABC also notes that VicRoads did not answer their query on whether or not they would consider sending notice of a licence suspension by registered post along with digital notifications.

The reliance on sending official notices through post exposes a glaring problem for VicRoads, according to Ash Galvin of the Peninsula Community Legal Centre.

Among the cases he handled was an 83-year-old woman in 2020 who, in the same fashion as DeAraugo, only found out her licence was suspended after getting pulled over.

‘There is the possibility that those notifications don't reach people for various reasons.’ he said.

‘It's really important that people are kept up to date with the status of their driver's licence.’

‘We'd like to see VicRoads explore further opportunities to better communicate to motorists.’

So, what do you think of this? Should VicRoads make efforts to deliver important notices through electronic means, as well, if only to avoid more incidents of missed notifications?

I would be devastated to lose my licence. It's been built in my lifestyle for over 45 years. Please remember it is a privilege to hold drivers licence. Regardless, we need to keep on top of all important things in our lives.

The same thing happened to me in NSW. As an insulin dependent Diabetic I have to complete a medical every year and during the bushfires and covid years I didn't get my notifications and totally forgot about it. I was driving unlicensed for about nine months before I realised but there was never any threat of prosecution, the DVLA knew that so much post went AWOL. :(

Reactions: JayKay
So what is the situation in other states? Surely Victoria is t the only one. Currently I am worried if I get pulled over as my licence was one of those breached by the recent cyber attacks. I’ve filled out the form in my local TMR outlet, witnessed by a security officer but have still not received either a new number or licence. Since my licence is up for renewal next month anyway, this is a concern - don’t want to find myself with an incorrect licence number or worse still, not be able to renew at all!

View attachment 10076

View attachment 10075

‘I felt betrayed.’

View attachment 10077

I’m in Qld and last year I turned 75 on 28 December. My husband and I had travelled to our daughter for Christmas. On 23 December someone mentioned that I had to have a medical for my licence once I turned 75. I promptly went to dept of transport to find out. Yes I needed a medical, I should have had a letter BUT I HADN’T! All I could put it down to was Covid disruption. It would be illegal for me to drive without it. Remember I was not in my home town. Had to go to optician first as I wear glasses, no appts until January! I managed to give a sob story and got in, then to doctor who didn’t know me, so a thorough medical. Eventually to Qld Dept of Transport 30 minutes before they closed on Christmas Eve. Phew! This year I DID GET A REMINDER, so all good for another 12 months - Oh, but by the way, they had to replace my licence (it wasn’t due for renewal) and had to keep my present one, that was ok, I get a temporary piece of paper to show I’m licensed, when will my new licence be with me? They say 10 January, hope so as we leave on 20 January for a 3 month caravan trip to VICTORIA! I wait and see!

View attachment 10076

View attachment 10075

‘I felt betrayed.’

View attachment 10077

On such important issues as this, bearing in mind the serious impacts that can arise particularly for those living alone, Vic Roads (now to be a private enterprise) should be required to use at a minimum, tracking or registered post, then 30 days before any cancellation and for those pre-suspension, a final notice ...

Think too of thosse who go on holidays, or live in Units with unreliable mail boxes...

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I am horrified that Vic Roads have access to my medical records without my knowledge. I understood that these medical records were necessary so that other medical professionals could access them to decide what the next step should be if we are in hospital. Perhaps we should withdraw our permission to make our records private again.

Reactions: Ricci
A lot of medical checks went by the wayside over that covid period. Doctors wouldn't see patients - only over the phone. People's diagnosis wasn't picked up early, invariably because people wouldn't attend due to covid.
Driver's licence is added to the unfortunate list.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci

View attachment 10076

View attachment 10075

‘I felt betrayed.’

View attachment 10077

Absolutely Feel for these poor people Terrible thing to happen Hope it doesn’t happen to me!

View attachment 10076

View attachment 10075

‘I felt betrayed.’

View attachment 10077

Victoria the Bastard state.

I am horrified that Vic Roads have access to my medical records without my knowledge. I understood that these medical records were necessary so that other medical professionals could access them to decide what the next step should be if we are in hospital. Perhaps we should withdraw our permission to make our records private again.
If your medical records are in the public domain, if you suffer any sort of health complaint then that can impact the insurance cover of your children. Just be aware of this. I have had four heart attacks which were the result of a medication I was put on for arthritis. That medication is now banned in Australia. Is my condition hereditary - NO! Would it impact my children in applying for Loss of Income or Disability Insurance - YES. The more information about you that is out in the public domain, the more that can be held against you.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
Government departments will never admit that they're in the wrong that's why they won't reply to all questions whether it's a client or their lawyer or the press

Making your records private will not stop it. My doctor told me he could be in big trouble, maybe even struck off, if he didn't alert the DVLA that I was insulin dependent and I was in an accident that was my fault. It's no biggie really, he just has to confirm that my diabetes in under control and I'm not likely to have a hypo whilst driving. It takes him all of 2 or 3 minutes to fill out the form online and I'm good to go. :)

Reactions: Liz and Penny4
This is a great reminder to create a list , perhaps in the back of a diary, of when our bills or renewals are due.
Yes, it's too easy to overlook them in the busyness of life.
I knew that my Disability Parking Permit was coming up for renewal, but I used to receive a renewal notice from the Council in the mail.
Six weeks later, I realised I'd forgotten about it so rang the Council.
Local Councils are not supervising these anymore, in Victoria, Vic Roads is.
But you still submit your medical details to the Council, and they forward them to Vic Roads, who decide whether to issue a permit.
My GP advised me to include the most minimum of details, and she did the same.
Turned out OK for me.

Last edited:
Here in WA we also have to have a medical test when we reach 80 years. My husband had a problem similar as he was awaiting cataract surgery that could not be done until after the license date. So when his doctor filled in the form and knew he needed this operation nothing was noted. He did need glasses for reading only at the time so did not take them with him for the test. As the date of the renewal neared and no renewal he contacted the department and was told it had not been renewed. After an explanation, he was told to attend a licensing office and explain what has happened he was tested and all was good. BUT if he had not rung to inquire he may never have been notified.

View attachment 10076

View attachment 10075

‘I felt betrayed.’

View attachment 10077

I am constantly told we live in an age of technology which drives me nuts but I can see it has it uses
vic roads needs to move into the age of technology and send emails or if by post then security post or whatever requires a signature Glenn

Reactions: JayKay
I would be devastated to lose my licence. It's been built in my lifestyle for over 45 years. Please remember it is a privilege to hold drivers licence. Regardless, we need to keep on top of all important things in our lives.
Could not agree more. We really need to treasure our MDL,s. I record the expiry date in my phone “Reminders” and my Kitchen table Diary both a month before due date.