Discover the jobs a 'side hustle expert' says could make you rich

A 'side hustle expert' on social media has spilled the beans on three unexpected jobs that are quietly making a fortune—and could earn quite the profit, too.

In a recent video that's amassed hundreds and thousands of views, the man revealed three skilled trades that are unassumingly lucrative due to the lack of new people entering the industries.

First up on the list? The humble seamstress and tailor.

'How many young people do you know that really want to become a seamstress or a tailor?' he said, quickly adding, 'It doesn't exist anymore.'

'People that are doing it right now are making a [fortune]. It's going to be even better in the future because no one wants to get into it.'

compressed-Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 3.06.35 PM.jpeg
A man shared his insight into lucrative opportunities that could make people earn quite a profit. Credit: TikTok/sidehustlerealist.

The social media personality said that people will always require alterations for their clothes, such as hemming pants or adding patches.

'Whatever it is, it's always going to be needed,' he argued.

'I mean, could you believe that you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars with this thing right here?' He then pointed to a Singer sewing machine model.

Next up on his side-hustle list are shoemakers.

He said that because shoemakers are becoming rarer these days, those currently in the business earn a lot. For example, he claims to know a man who operates a small shop and makes nearly a million dollars—all by himself!

According to him, shoemaking involves more than just repairs; it includes working on leather and suede, which requires specific skills and tools unique to the profession.

Lastly, he admitted that even though he might be a bit biased, he firmly believes that running a dry-cleaning business can be a lucrative side hustle.

He shared that in his experience of visiting nearby dry cleaners, he noticed that many of the owners are seniors in their 70s and 80s. 'Their kids don't want to take over,' he argued.

'And what happens is that this industry is slowly dying. Not dying in a sense where there's no demand—it's dying because a lot of the people don't want to get into it.'

He said that most people are unaware they can be trained to run a dry-cleaning business or even open one without being a dry-cleaning expert.

Needless to say, hundreds were grateful for the side his advice. Plenty agreed and added their points in the comments section of his video.

'I've been saying seamstress is a skill set to have and will make you a lot of money. I'm so glad my mum taught me how to sew,' one user commented.

Another agreed and said, 'No lies told. I'm a seamstress. I work on bridal gowns, and it's rare if we find any seamstress to help us. I'm the youngest in my industry.'

Key Takeaways

• A business owner and so-called 'side hustle expert' on social media has listed three traditional occupations that he believes could be highly profitable due to the decreasing numbers of people interested in these trades.
  • The three jobs he identified as potential money-makers were the roles of a seamstress or tailor, shoemaker, and dry cleaner—industries that are slowly 'declining' as fewer young people are looking to venture into them.

So, what are your thoughts, members? Do you agree with his list? Maybe you also have some side hustle ideas in mind you want to add? Feel free to let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: RTS and Liag
Sponsored
I can fully understand people not wanting to get into dry-cleaning businesses; I worked in it in the middle 70s and hated it. Filthy, dirty, hot and sweaty (and that was just my co-workers!) and constant exposure to activated charcoal and carbon tetrachloride. Not healthy, and considering the set-up expense and cost of insurance, not a an attractive investment, either.

I can fully understand people not wanting to get into dry-cleaning businesses; I worked in it in the middle 70s and hated it. Filthy, dirty, hot and sweaty (and that was just my co-workers!) and constant exposure to activated charcoal and carbon tetrachloride. Not healthy, and considering the set-up expense and cost of insurance, not a an attractive investment, either.
True, even going into one, the smells would clear your sinuses quickly.

Reactions: Gsr
I think it may be cheaper to buy new clothes than to pay to have alterations done.

Reactions: DLHM
Since we seem to live in a throw away society I don’t see a huge call for a seamstress, shoe maker or dry cleaner in the country area where I live. Our dry cleaners has been gone for quite a few years, they weren’t getting enough business to survive. There are not many professions where you need to wear clothes that can’t be washed now, even a lot of suits are washable. We had a shoe repairman but he also closed as people just go buy new shoes if a heel falls off or a sole starts flapping. Very few people would bother to get shoes made these days. We have a couple of seamstresses who mostly do alterations like hemming, taking in, for people who don’t have a family member who sews. They only work a couple of days a week as there is not enough business to work every day. It may be different in bigger city areas where people usually have more disposable income and can afford to get clothes and shoes made and have more need for dry cleaning services.

A seamstress (female or male) can be very handy. Many people buy pants that are too long and they don't know how to take them up. The choice of different length pants is rare.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I think it may be cheaper to buy new clothes than to pay to have alterations done.
I agree, I. can sew quite well
As I've said before I started up a business manufacturing baby Manchester which I ran for 10 years.
However I no longer have an industrial machine just a light weight.Singer.
I took four pair of my. daughters jeans to be taken up, as my little Singer doesn't handle denim very well.
It cost $120, I nearly fainted from shock.
If I was younger I would invest in a good industrial sewing machine and an overlocker. Good money to be made there.
I don't think too many young people sew these days.

Reactions: DLHM
Sadly, that’s true. I think when we didn’t live in such a disposable society, we took care of our belongings and preserved them for as long as we could. It used to be cheaper to sew or knit our clothing, but not any more. ☹️

A 'side hustle expert' on social media has spilled the beans on three unexpected jobs that are quietly making a fortune—and could earn quite the profit, too.

In a recent video that's amassed hundreds and thousands of views, the man revealed three skilled trades that are unassumingly lucrative due to the lack of new people entering the industries.

First up on the list? The humble seamstress and tailor.

'How many young people do you know that really want to become a seamstress or a tailor?' he said, quickly adding, 'It doesn't exist anymore.'

'People that are doing it right now are making a [fortune]. It's going to be even better in the future because no one wants to get into it.'

View attachment 34350
A man shared his insight into lucrative opportunities that could make people earn quite a profit. Credit: TikTok/sidehustlerealist.

The social media personality said that people will always require alterations for their clothes, such as hemming pants or adding patches.

'Whatever it is, it's always going to be needed,' he argued.

'I mean, could you believe that you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars with this thing right here?' He then pointed to a Singer sewing machine model.

Next up on his side-hustle list are shoemakers.

He said that because shoemakers are becoming rarer these days, those currently in the business earn a lot. For example, he claims to know a man who operates a small shop and makes nearly a million dollars—all by himself!

According to him, shoemaking involves more than just repairs; it includes working on leather and suede, which requires specific skills and tools unique to the profession.

Lastly, he admitted that even though he might be a bit biased, he firmly believes that running a dry-cleaning business can be a lucrative side hustle.

He shared that in his experience of visiting nearby dry cleaners, he noticed that many of the owners are seniors in their 70s and 80s. 'Their kids don't want to take over,' he argued.

'And what happens is that this industry is slowly dying. Not dying in a sense where there's no demand—it's dying because a lot of the people don't want to get into it.'

He said that most people are unaware they can be trained to run a dry-cleaning business or even open one without being a dry-cleaning expert.

Needless to say, hundreds were grateful for the side his advice. Plenty agreed and added their points in the comments section of his video.

'I've been saying seamstress is a skill set to have and will make you a lot of money. I'm so glad my mum taught me how to sew,' one user commented.

Another agreed and said, 'No lies told. I'm a seamstress. I work on bridal gowns, and it's rare if we find any seamstress to help us. I'm the youngest in my industry.'

Key Takeaways

• A business owner and so-called 'side hustle expert' on social media has listed three traditional occupations that he believes could be highly profitable due to the decreasing numbers of people interested in these trades.
  • The three jobs he identified as potential money-makers were the roles of a seamstress or tailor, shoemaker, and dry cleaner—industries that are slowly 'declining' as fewer young people are looking to venture into them.

So, what are your thoughts, members? Do you agree with his list? Maybe you also have some side hustle ideas in mind you want to add? Feel free to let us know in the comments below!
Seamstress and shoemakers have relatively low set up but not dry cleaning which has a lot of machinery and space requirements plus not sure the chemicals are good for your health.

Also the demand for dry cleaning has dropped off resulting in centralised operators using drop off points..

Exploring side hustles for potential wealth is exciting. Some gigs that could help you make money now include freelance writing, graphic design, or even tutoring. Also, consider flipping items—buy low, sell high! Another option is offering specialized services like social media management or web development. The key is finding something you're good at and passionate about. Diving into these side gigs can bring in extra cash while allowing flexibility.

Last edited: