Cutting through the beef: Aussie shopper's meaty experiment reveals clear winner!

When it comes to purchasing meat, Australians have long debated whether supermarkets or local butchers provide the best quality and value.

It's a question that impacts not only our wallets but also our taste buds and culinary experiences.

Matt West, an Aussie shopper, decided to put this question to the test with a simple experiment that delivered a very clear winner.

West compared 500g of grass-fed beef from a major supermarket chain, Woolworths, priced at $11, with the same amount from his local butcher, which cost $8.50.

‘The price alone in my opinion makes it worth it,’ West stated in a video.

‘They are both premium mince, both grass-fed, so technically on the same playing field.’

photo2.jpg
Matt West performed a comparative examination between grass-fed beef purchased from Woolworths and butcher shop. Credits: Tiktok / Road to Aesthetics

However, the real test came when West cooked both meats.

‘I was really surprised by how much water came out of the mince,’ he said.

‘I also wanted to see their weight once cooked, and the supermarket one came in at 371g.’

West then proceeded to replicate the procedure using meat purchased from the butcher.

‘The butcher's mince had way less water—I couldn't believe the difference between the two,' he shared.

‘The butcher's mince came in at 417g—46g more than the supermarket.’

Considering the cost and weight, West made his choice.

‘In my opinion—get down to the butcher! You're going to save more money, get more beef for your buck, and you can support a local business,’ he suggested.

It's important to note that supermarket meats are often packaged in a way that retains moisture, which can account for the water released during cooking.

While this isn't necessarily a sign of lower quality, it does mean you might be getting less meat than you paid for once it's cooked.

If any issues arise with purchases, including meat mince, customers can address their concerns with the customer satisfaction teams available at all major supermarkets.

Australian shoppers who saw West’s video shared their mixed experiences, with some finding their local butchers to be more expensive, while others have been disappointed with the quality of meat from butchers compared to supermarkets.

‘Every butcher near me is so expensive, though,’ one commenter lamented.

‘I bought scotch fillet from two butchers and it was rubbish compared to the supermarket,’ another shared.

‘I really thought the butcher was for rich people, so I will definitely try this myself!’ a third replied.

‘We switched to the local butcher a few months back. Better meat, and we no longer throw out meat that goes off,’ another shopper said.

You can watch West’s full video here:

Source: Tiktok

From scrutinising meat selection strategies to contemplating the broader implications of our food choices, the topic of meat consumption continues to pique interest.

As consumers like Matt West meticulously assess their options between supermarket shelves and local butchers, a parallel conversation emerges within the agricultural sector.

This call for change prompts reflection on the interconnectedness of our food systems and the impacts of our consumption habits.
Key Takeaways

• Aussie shopper Matt West conducted a comparison test between supermarket and butcher-bought grass-fed beef and shared the results online.
  • He noted that the butcher's mince had significantly less water content and retained more weight after cooking than the supermarket's mince.
  • Pricing and weight considerations led West to conclude that purchasing from the butcher offers better value, supports local businesses, and provides more meat for the money.
  • Australian shoppers reacted with a mix of surprise and their personal experiences with both butcher and supermarket meats, with some noting higher prices at butchers, while others praised the quality of meat from their local butchers.
Have you had experiences that align with Matt West's findings? Do you prefer the butcher or the supermarket for your meat purchases? Share your thoughts and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
The butchers ply a fast one by having pink fluorescent lights above the meat displays to make the meat more appealing .
I wonder too what happens to the leftover meat, especially chicken, at the end of the day...is it trundled out the following day, or is it rotated?
Their prices are way above Aldi to boot.
As I have said before, I trust no one.......

It's mostly always a butcher for me however, I have bought mince from a supermarket on the odd occasion. I have certainly noticed a difference though when cooking it. As stated above, lots of water in the supermarket product. Also sausages from supermarket...a lot of fat and little taste, from my butcher, no fat and lots of flavour. As far as I know, it used to be that with left over meat & chicken, it gets minced or crumbed. I never buy pre-crumbed products at all.

Reactions: maherdj and Kayer02
Butchers aren't all the same. One butcher near me uses packaging like the supermarkets. Other local butchers use the counter meat displays like above. I give those counters a wide birth as I don't trust how old the meat is, or if it's been rotated. I've been caught out before.

Reactions: Babbie
I buy meat from a butcher in the Coles arcade at Gunnedah after trying the Supermarkets and the other butchers. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but I can eat every bit that I purchase and enjoy it. There is no waste bar the bone, if there is one.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I buy 95% from my local butchers, the only time I buy from supermarkets if I forgot to pull meat from my freezer and then it's normally only mince and it's outside my butchers' open hours

The price is a lot steeper at the butcher however I prefer to be able to chew my meat and not eat rubber. You can also tell the difference between supermarket snags and bacon compared to local butcher. My son is a former butcher and he has always said, never buy pre-crumbed meat or chicken as it is older meat, thicker crumbs thinner meat.. Just spend a few minutes more in preparation and crumb it yourself.

Reactions: PattiB
We buy our meat from our local IGA which sources all their meat from Scottsdale in Tasmania’s NE. Our IGA employ in house butchers & we have never had a bad piece. My husband often pre-orders a specific sized roast beef & it’s always spot on. Scottsdale meat is really good, free range fresh turkeys for Christmas & honey cured, preservative free hams. We won’t buy meat elsewhere.

One purchase frome ONE supermarket and one from ONE butcher.
Is this a real market test of price and quality? I don't think so.
I don't question the two results in this 'test", however there is an absence of comparisons upon which to make a generalised conclusion between meat from a supermarket and that from a standalone butcher. I buy from both depending on the meat I want at the time.

It is important to be aware of the difference in meat quality between supermarkets and local butchers. Matt West's experiment showed that local butcher shops can offer better quality meat at an affordable price. Customer experiences may vary and some may experience higher prices or be unhappy with the quality of the meat.