Cut your car registration fees by 20 per cent with state government’s cost-of-living relief measure

In an era where every dollar counts, the Queensland government's decision to reduce the financial burden on its citizens is a breath of fresh air.

Queensland drivers are in for a welcome reprieve from rising costs as the state government rolls out a significant cost-of-living relief measure that will see car registration fees slashed by 20 per cent.

This initiative, announced by Premier Steven Miles, is set to benefit several motorists, including those with motorcycles and light trailers.

Starting from 16 September 2024, fees for owners of four-cylinder cars will have a cut of $85, bringing the total cost down to $338.75, not including Compulsory Third Party Insurance.

Concession cardholders stand to gain even more, with nearly $50 in savings, reducing their fee to $194.50, also excluding Compulsory Third Party Insurance.

shutterstock_1919184839.jpg
The Queensland government announced a 20 per cent cut in car registration fees. Credit: Shutterstock

This announcement is timely, coming ahead of the state budget unveiled on 11 June. It builds on the government's previous efforts to ease financial pressures following a freeze on car registration cost increases at the end of 2023.

Premier Miles emphasised the 2024-2025 budget's focus on providing meaningful cost of living relief for Queenslanders, stating, 'Every dollar counts, which is why I’m doing what matters to put money back in the pockets of Queenslanders.'

‘This initiative will save the 5.7 million light car owners here in Queensland hundreds of dollars over the 12 months—dollars that could be spent on groceries, rent, the mortgage or put into savings.’

Drivers can expect to see these changes reflected on their registration bills from August.

In addition to car registration, Queensland households will receive a $1,000 credit on their electricity bills as part of a major cost-of-living package announced by the Miles Labor Government.

This initiative was said to be the ‘biggest cost-of-living initiative by a state government ever’, aiming to alleviate financial pressure from rising electricity costs and inflation.

However, the Queensland government has also announced increased road infringement fines by 4 per cent starting 1 July.

The treasurer emphasised the need to maintain the deterrent effect of penalties to prevent people from breaking the law. You can read more about the increased fines here.
Key Takeaways
  • Queensland drivers will benefit from a 20 per cent savings on car registration fees as part of a cost of living relief measure.
  • The reduction will apply for 12 months to light vehicle registrations from 16 September 2024 and will also include motorcycles and light trailers.
  • Following a freeze on car registration cost increases from the previous year, this reduction is part of the upcoming state budget announcement.
  • Premier Steven Miles highlights the initiative's aim to provide meaningful relief and help Queenslanders save money on essential expenses.
Have you experienced similar cost-saving measures in your state? How do you plan to use the extra funds from your reduced car registration fees? Share your thoughts and strategies with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Thanks very much. I just paid my rego this week
They have to have a start date and it's never straight away . September's date is quick.
You may get a little back on what you paid , come September.
If you pay every 6 months then you will save in the 2nd 6 months

I live in S.A. It never ceases to amaze me how other State governments seem to be able to help their constituents out. $1000 for electricity assistance??? Lower car insurance??? Unheard of here in S A! We have the highest everything here in this State...apart from help to Pensioners.

well, i guess there will be the idiots who will vote for them and think they are getting a win. i doubt giggles will be aroung to pick up the pieces.