Watt a relief! Queenslanders spark up with $1,000 electricity credit

In what's being hailed as the 'biggest cost of living initiative by a state government ever,' Queenslanders are set to receive a substantial financial boost to help manage the rising costs of energy bills.

As the cost of living continues to climb, with electricity costs and broader inflation putting significant pressure on household budgets, this news comes as a welcome relief for millions of Australians.

The Miles Labor Government recently announced a key cost of living package, revealing that all Queensland households will be eligible for a $1,000 credit on their electricity bills.

This generous rebate was almost double the $550 paid out earlier this year and was set to make a real difference in the lives of many.

Starting in July, the payments will be applied directly to household bills, meaning that most Queenslanders will not have to pay ‘a single cent’ on their first power bill of the new financial year. For some, this could mean not having to worry about a power bill until 2025.

compressed-shutterstock_484084630.jpeg
Queensland households were set to get $1,000 electricity bill credit in cost-of-living package by the Miles Labor Government. Credits: Shutterstock

The measure, valued at over $2.5 billion, will be funded by coal royalties. This is a strategic move by the state government to redistribute the wealth generated from natural resources back to the people.

This initiative was not only about immediate relief but also about acknowledging the increased financial pressures faced by individuals and families due to growing everyday expenses such as mortgage repayments and rent.

In a joint statement, Premier Steven Miles and Deputy Premier Cameron Dick dubbed it as the ‘biggest cost of living initiative by a state government ever’.

Mr Miles expressed the urgency of delivering this relief, stating, ‘I said we would use the budget to deliver cost of living relief but I’ve decided it's too urgent to wait that long.’

This announcement came at a critical time, less than six months ahead of the next election and following a series of polls indicating a potential defeat for the Labor Party.

‘We've known for some time that David Crisafulli and the LNP are ahead and most likely to win the next election,’ Mr Miles said.

In a bid to secure the future of Queenslanders' finances, a special appropriation bill will be introduced to expedite the payment process.

Additionally, the state government has committed to continuing its support for small businesses by reducing power bills by $325.

The impact of previous rebates has been significant, with the Australian Bureau of Statistics data showing a 9.5 per cent decrease in electricity bills.

These rebates also contributed to Queensland's lower inflation levels than the national average, with power bills 'remaining lower than under the LNP'.

Deputy Premier and Treasurer Cameron Dick emphasised that the relief would reach 'every single household', helping families across Queensland 'make ends meet'.

‘Our investment back into the people of this state is only possible because the Miles Labor Government is collecting Queensland’s fair share of coal royalties from multinational mining companies,’ Mr Dick stated.

Last year's nearly $14 billion surplus, attributed to a strong labour market and high coal prices, positioned the government to offer these record rebates.

Mr Dick also pointed out that delivering the rebates 'upfront' ensures they cannot be 'undone' by a future Liberal government.

‘Rather than owning our assets, the LNP want us to hurtle towards an expensive, privatised and uncertain nuclear future with higher prices and dividends going offshore, rather than back to Queenslanders,’ he said.

As millions of Australians are set to receive financial relief from the government to help with energy bills, it's clear that the issue of the cost of living is at the forefront of many people's minds.

With the announcement of the biggest cost of living initiative by a state government ever, there's hope on the horizon for those struggling with rising expenses. This was preceded by other cost-of-living relief measures implemented late last year.

This significant assistance comes at a crucial time, especially for seniors and other vulnerable groups who may be particularly affected by increasing costs.
Key Takeaways
  • Queensland households will receive a $1,000 credit on their electricity bills as part of a major cost-of-living package announced by the Miles Labor Government.
  • This initiative was said to be the 'biggest cost of living initiative by a state government ever' and aimed to alleviate financial pressure from rising electricity costs and inflation.
  • The electricity bill credit will be applied from July, and many Queenslanders could potentially not have to pay for power until 2025, thanks to the measure funded by coal royalties.
  • The significant financial support was announced ahead of the next Queensland election, with the state government also continuing a $325 support for small businesses' electricity bills.
Will this rebate make a difference in your life? How do you plan to use the extra funds? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Don't know don't live their anymore, live in Tassie & we are getting only $250 before June, apparently.
Me too ! Much better living in Tassie.
Not 100% sure, but, I think we are getting $500 over the full year PLUS what we get from the State Government, which in my case, as a card carrying OAP , was $156.92 off the bill I just received. Which, I reckon,is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: VK2LEE and Jash
Me too ! Much better living in Tassie.
Not 100% sure, but, I think we are getting $500 over the full year plus what we get from the State Government, which is in my case, as a card carrying OAP , $156.92 off the bill I just received. Which, I reckon,is pretty good.
Totally agree, best move I made moving out of Qld. Love it here.

Well, you ask at the end of the article how we plan to use this extra funds ....as they are paid by our state government directly to our electricity account we'll use them as a credit for rainy days on our account
🏝🏡🌧🌦🌞 ...we have solar panels and our electricity account has been in credit since we moved into our new home 4 years ago, even with the addition of air conditioning last Spring! Mind you, we have withdrawn some of the credit on our electricity account in the past and used it to pay down our Council Rates!

Well, you ask at the end of the article how we plan to use this extra funds ....as they are paid by our state government directly to our electricity account we'll use them as a credit for rainy days on our account
🏝🏡🌧🌦🌞 ...we have solar panels and our electricity account has been in credit since we moved into our new home 4 years ago, even with the addition of air conditioning last Spring! Mind you, we have withdrawn some of the credit on our electricity account in the past and used it to pay down our Council Rates!
are you stingy? we have solar as well and we get the 50cents, but then i just use power when i want to.

• Haha
Reactions: IslandSteve
Well we won’t bother looking in SA. We have the most expensive power despite the highest take up of rooftop solar. We also have no coal fired power stations now and rely on gas for grid stability as well as some from Victoria as outrageous prices. Isn’t it amazing that the highest prices are when all those solar panels are pumping into the grid. The excuses are not only unbelievable but make a lie of every story we have been told about the value of solar power. Now we have EV all over the place. They are heavier than normal cars and yet pay no excise to maintain the roads that they damage even more than the old fashioned cars. Surely it’s time to introduce an extra cost when they are registered every year. Why should those of us who can’t afford these new vehicles at $50,000 plus have to pay for their damage to our roads. Then I’d like to know how much more these people’s electricity bills are now that they have to charge up the car every night. Is it the cynic in me or is the suggestion that owners empty their car battery to supply power for their homes but then have to recharge the car later on perhaps when the cost is higher? Like everything with both our state and federal government the problems seem to be trying to be fixed from the result and not the cause. Ramping will not get better until there are more hospital beds. No amount of ambulances or paramedics or doctors and nurses can do anything when there is no room in an ED while patients to be admitted are waiting days for a bed. The truth has come out. People are dying in ramped ambulances! And the morale in the system is at an all time low. We need a separate mental hospital with its own ED, just like we used to have until some bright spark decided that putting people in such places was discrimination. Well it stopped psychotics and sociopaths from roaming the streets and killing innocent people and women who are trying to move on with their lives. Now the company who were to have built the next stage of the return of Daw Park, including some dedicated mental health beds have pulled out. They say it’s too expensive. Labor transformed health for sure!! To a broken down model with too few beds in an excruciatingly expensive hospital that is too small and has no room for an expanding and aging population! What a nightmare. You can’t fix a problem from the symptoms up. You have to fix the cause.

Tall about vote buying the Qld public. The state is broke as oh well enjoy the rebate Qld.
Yes, this is 🥩-barrelling of which even Scotty-from-Marketing and his sports-rorts Minister would have been proud but NO, Qld is not broke - 2021/22 budget in 4.3bn Surplus, 2022/23 budget in 13.9bn Surplus and it was in balance in December 2023 when the mid-year review was released. But, due to a 25% drop in Royalties caused by a fall in the price of coking coal and a reduction in the state's GST share, the next few years are "possibly going to be difficult"!
David Chrisafulli and the Qld LNP are on track to win the next state election because of Youth Crime out of control, a Public Health System unable to cope and a Cost-of-Living/Housing crisis (available Public Housing has actually decreased under Labor; the LNP have a plan to increase this, unlike their Federal counterparts, who have a "lazy"* plan to simply rob Peter (Superannuation Accounts) to pay Paul (millionaire developers like Dutts his-self).

* https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/politics/australian-politics/2024/05/01/liberal-super-policy

Reactions: Ingot
I live in Mackay and since we are known as a mining town (we aren’t) we pay outrageous prices for everything cause we all work in the mines and get paid a small fortune. (Not me) so I will probably buy some food with the extra I am getting from the coal royalties. Might even be able to buy some fresh fruit. Lol

I live in Mackay and since we are known as a mining town (we aren’t) we pay outrageous prices for everything cause we all work in the mines and get paid a small fortune. (Not me) so I will probably buy some food with the extra I am getting from the coal royalties. Might even be able to buy some fresh fruit. Lol
Isn’t it going straight to your elec or gas bill so you can’t actually access it for cash or did I hear wrong on tv🤔yep it’s being credited to your bill just looked it up.so no fresh 🍇 for you sorry😕

Last edited: