Customers express outrage over hidden fees on an ‘average tasting sandwich’

As the cost of living continues to rise, consumers are increasingly finding themselves navigating a landscape rife with hidden fees, particularly when dining out.

What begins as a simple meal can quickly become a financial minefield, with unsuspecting patrons encountering unexpected charges on their bills.This was precisely the case for one café-goer, whose experience has sparked a heated debate about the fairness of additional fees for food preparation.

The incident unfolded when a customer, seeking a simple lunchtime pleasure, ordered a sandwich at a Perth café.

Describing the sandwich as ‘average tasting’, the man was taken aback when he discovered that his request to have the sandwich toasted came with a 90-cent surcharge.

Taking to an online forum to express his dismay, he shared, 'Perth café standard…$14.90 for an average tasting sandwich. They charged 90 cents to toast it!'

The post quickly garnered attention, amassing over 150 comments, with many expressing their outrage at the toasting fee.

average tasting sandwich.png
A customer expressed outrage online after a cafe billed him a 90-cent toasting fee. Image Source: Reddit / ShreemBreeze

'I've never been charged to have (a sandwich) toasted before...that's outrageous,' one commenter exclaimed.

Another echoed the sentiment, and said, ‘Charging 90c to toast is absolutely outrageous.’

One user simply said, ‘Absolute joke.’

The consensus among the disgruntled was clear: a toasting fee was an unwelcome surprise.

However, not everyone shared the customer's views.

‘And yet, you bought it, which is why businesses can get away with taking the p*** like this,’ a commenter noted.

Another commenter said, ‘That’s on you. I’m assuming it was in a display case, and you chose the toasted option?’

The debate didn't end there. Some sympathised with the customer's plight, understanding the awkwardness of challenging the price at the point of sale.

‘The prices of things going through the roof in the last say 2 years has definitely been an eye-opener for me on how fantastically more affordable it is to make literally anything yourself,’ a defender of the customer wrote.

This Perth café's toasting fee isn't an isolated incident.

In 2023, Sydney podcast producer Hannah Bowman shared her experience of being charged a ‘wild’ $25 for a smoked salmon bagel at a café.

‘Guys, I've been the victim of a heinous crime,’ she recounted, having been ‘shook to the core’ by the price.

Despite her disbelief, she paid for the bagel and left the café feeling ‘sick’.

Unfortunately, as the cost of living goes up, we are seeing more and more stories of Aussies being outraged at restaurant prices.You can read a similar story of customers criticising a cafe for its expensive prices here.

If stories like this one have convinced you to eat at home more often. You may want to read about how this mum whips up delicious dinners for just $1.60 a plate.
Key Takeaways
  • A Perth café customer expressed his frustration online after being charged 90 cents extra to toast his sandwich.
  • The post about the additional toasting fee sparked a heated debate, with many users sharing their outrage.
  • Some commenters defended the café's pricing, pointing out that he chose to buy the sandwich for the listed price.
  • Earlier in 2023, a Sydney podcast producer was shocked to be charged $25 for a smoked salmon bagel, highlighting concerns over the rising cost of living.
Have you encountered similar hidden fees or outrageous prices when dining out? How did you handle the situation? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
And Dutton would fix the problem?? He doesn’t have a clue, all he does is say no to everything. He has no solutions to anything, if he had a thought it would be lonely. I guess we are stuck with the best of a bad bunch
Colette
You are correct in that they are all tared with the one brush but at least Dutton has the foresight to consider nucular energy as the primary source and just not stick his head in the sand and throw millions at renewables alone. Wind and solar are just not going to cut it alone in a vast country like ours same as all electric vehicles.

Reactions: gamiry
And Dutton would fix the problem?? He doesn’t have a clue, all he does is say no to everything. He has no solutions to anything, if he had a thought it would be lonely. I guess we are stuck with the best of a bad bunch
In election after election the ALP has refused to publish its policies until late in the official campaign (well after the date of election has been announced).
Leaving little time for the Coalition to review and question the costings.
They justified this on the basis that the Coalition had the resources of public servants to "make up false costings".

Now Albo is Demanding Peter Duton put all his cards on the table bot just long before the election date is announced, but also before the budget.

Looks to me that the ALP is the one's without a clue and they're looking for clues from the Coalition... just like when they needed them to rewrite their ridiculous Imigration Detention legislation.

A cafe this morning in Broadwater near Busselton sold me a toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwich for about $11.50 with table service.

It was described as a TOASTED sandwich. Nothing more.... nothing less.
As I am sitting here at the abovementioned cafe, namely Brewalicious, the sandwich costs $9.50!

A bargain compared to the $14.90 plus 90 cents quoted in opening article.