Customers criticise a cafe for their expensive avocado toast: 'Is this normal?'

It's no secret that we live in a world where, sometimes, price tags leave us shaking our heads in disbelief. Whether it's the cost of petrol, coffee, or a loaf of bread, things seem to be getting more expensive by the day.

But one cafe has recently provoked quite the uproar over its expensive pricing for a breakfast staple: avocado toast.

You might be wondering how much it could be. It turns out that the avocado on toast at the Melbourne cafe in question, called The Glass Den, is tagged at a mind-boggling $27.50.

A customer who dined at the trendy cafe in Coburg was surprised at the price of the food item.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 120121.png
A cafe in Melbourne called The Glass Den priced avocado toast at $27.50. Credit: Reddit

Taking to social media, they posted a photo of the cafe’s menu along with the caption: ‘Cafe prices—is this normal? Blew me away.’

This has stirred some unrest among patrons and social media users.

As one social media user pointed out, the cafe promotes an 'experience' rather than just a meal.

‘I’ve gotten up from cafes like this…I’m not paying $27 for eggs and bacon on toast,’ a person remarked.

‘Everything there is $10 more than I’d expect—and that’s still too much,’ another said.

A third person commented: ‘Certainly more for most things than my local cafes.’

One local resident living in the apartment complex adjacent to The Glass Den stated: 'There are infinitely better cafes within walking distance for much better prices.'

‘It's more expensive than normal, but this place ain't trying to be normal. Look at the pics of their food on Instagram, and their menu items and ingredients, and you can see why the prices are what they are,’ a user responded to the post.

With picturesque food snaps artistically curated, it becomes apparent that the cafe is in the business of selling not just food but aesthetics and a personal declaration of having 'lived' the higher-end cafe experience.

A glance at the establishment’s social media also offers an insight into its clientele type—the big spenders, the influencers, the connoisseurs, and the food bloggers.

That said, it is understood that the Glass Den is a talking point among customers, not just for its eyebrow-raising toasty price but also because it seems to step outside the norm.

photo (24).jpg
Avocado toast (left) and other menu items from The Glass Den. Credit: @theglassden/Instagram

'Some ingredients used (halal bacon, truffle, pomegranate, etc.) don't come cheap,' defended a self-proclaimed chef, offering a potential explanation for the dramatic pricing. 'Depends on suppliers and availability, but honestly, this is pretty fair pricing.'

‘It's the new normal,’ another person defended.

These cafe prices come at a time when Aussies are grappling with a surge in living costs and increased inflation.

According to The Australian Bureau of Statistics, the Consumer Price Index for August was an annual rate of 5.2 per cent, up from 4.9 per cent in July. This has been driven largely by housing, transport, food and insurance costs.

This comes after reports last week that avocado prices have fallen down to 9 cents each. This is due to the overproduction of the fruit. You can learn more about that here.

If you’re keen to make an avocado toast at home instead, here’s a simple recipe:

Key Takeaways
  • A popular Melbourne cafe, The Glass Den, has sparked controversy with its high menu prices, charging $27.50 for sliced avocado on toast.
  • The cafe has been criticised by social media users and locals who suggested that there are other, more affordable establishments in the vicinity.
  • Some people and a self-proclaimed chef argued that the high price is justified due to the quality and cost of ingredients.
  • This news comes amidst a current surge in inflation in Australia, with data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealing an annual rate of 5.2 per cent in August.

Here at the SDC, we advise our readers to always opt for venues that offer value for money. Fancy toasts aside, plenty of excellent local cafes offer wonderful meals at fair prices.

As you plan your next breakfast or brunch outing, do your research, read reviews, and make an informed choice about where to go. And remember—a good meal doesn't have to come with an outrageous price tag.

What’s your take on this pricing, members? Have you seen anything similar in your local restaurants or cafes? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
It's no secret that we live in a world where, sometimes, price tags leave us shaking our heads in disbelief. Whether it's the cost of petrol, coffee, or a loaf of bread, things seem to be getting more expensive by the day.

But one cafe has recently provoked quite the uproar over its expensive pricing for a breakfast staple: avocado toast.

You might be wondering how much it could be. It turns out that the avocado on toast at the Melbourne cafe in question, called The Glass Den, is tagged at a mind-boggling $27.50.

A customer who dined at the trendy cafe in Coburg was surprised at the price of the food item.

View attachment 31585
A cafe in Melbourne called The Glass Den priced avocado toast at $27.50. Credit: Reddit

Taking to social media, they posted a photo of the cafe’s menu along with the caption: ‘Cafe prices—is this normal? Blew me away.’

As one social media user pointed out, the cafe promotes an 'experience' rather than just a meal.

‘I’ve gotten up from cafes like this…I’m not paying $27 for eggs and bacon on toast,’ a person remarked.

‘Everything there is $10 more than I’d expect—and that’s still too much,’ another said.

One local resident living in the apartment complex adjacent to The Glass Den stated: 'There are infinitely better cafes within walking distance for much better prices.'

‘It's more expensive than normal, but this place ain't trying to be normal. Look at the pics of their food on Instagram, and their menu items and ingredients, and you can see why the prices are what they are,’ a user responded to the post.

With picturesque food snaps artistically curated, it becomes apparent that the cafe is in the business of selling not just food but aesthetics and a personal declaration of having 'lived' the higher-end cafe experience.

A glance at the establishment’s social media also offers an insight into its clientele type—the big spenders, the influencers, the connoisseurs, and the food bloggers.

That said, it is understood that the Glass Den is a talking point among customers, not just for its eyebrow-raising toasty price but also because it seems to step outside the norm.

View attachment 31586
Avocado toast (left) and other menu items from The Glass Den. Credit: @theglassden/Instagram

'Some ingredients used (halal bacon, truffle, pomegranate, etc.) don't come cheap,' defended a self-proclaimed chef, offering a potential explanation for the dramatic pricing. 'Depends on suppliers and availability, but honestly, this is pretty fair pricing.'

These cafe prices come at a time when Aussies are grappling with a surge in living costs and increased inflation.

According to The Australian Bureau of Statistics, the Consumer Price Index for August was an annual rate of 5.2 per cent, up from 4.9 per cent in July. This has been driven largely by housing, transport, food and insurance costs.

This comes after reports last week that avocado prices have fallen down to 9 cents each. This is due to the overproduction of the fruit. You can learn more about that here.

If you’re keen to make an avocado toast at home instead, here’s a simple recipe:

Key Takeaways

• A popular Melbourne cafe, The Glass Den, has sparked controversy with its high menu prices, charging $27.50 for sliced avocado on toast.
  • The cafe has been criticised by social media users and locals who suggested that there are other, more affordable establishments in the vicinity.
  • Some people and a self-proclaimed chef argued that the high price is justified due to the quality and cost of ingredients.
  • This news comes amidst a current surge in inflation in Australia, with data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealing an annual rate of 5.2 per cent in August.

Here at the SDC, we advise our readers to always opt for venues that offer value for money. Fancy toasts aside, plenty of excellent local cafes offer wonderful meals at fair prices.

As you plan your next breakfast or brunch outing, do your research, read reviews, and make an informed choice about where to go. And remember—a good meal doesn't have to come with an outrageous price tag.

What’s your take on this pricing, members? Have you seen anything similar in your local restaurants or cafes? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

What is it with avocado. It' tastes like granulated muck. Lots of good stuff for the same price or less

Reactions: Defiant540
breakfast staple ? who eats that crap for brekkie regularly?

Maybe the SDC team of yuppies can afford it I can't

It was more than Avocado on toast. It had homemade beetroot hummus and assorted seeds.
The work to make items take time and you're paying for more than the item.
Paying for the service and luxury of someone else making it and cleaning up.

• Haha
Reactions: Shane/#

View attachment 31585

View attachment 31586

Key Takeaways

If you are not happy, walk away.
We never pay more than is considered reasonable. We check the menu before putting our bottoms in seats, and, go from spot to spot until we find something to suit our budget. The food courts in my region have wonderful offerings that go well beyond fast food.
We don't go partying, drink, smoke or gamble. So, once a fortnight we have a meal date and go on a safari looking for new tastes. Latest was Greek. OMG they cook good tucker.
So far it has been a pleasure trying new tastes, however, I don't think it's necessary to photo the menu or the food if they dont suit us. Just get the he'll out of dodge send find another rodeo.

They can keep their over priced menu. It's why I don't eat out anymore, the prices are way too high. I understand they need to cover costs and make a profit but $28 fir poached eggs on toast with a little bit of other fancy frills is not what I want. I just like my eggs poached on butter toast and a fair price with a long black mug and side order of cold milk. Bugger with the extras I don't want. Look at the picture of the Avacardo, there's way too much for a noble person and little sprinkle of seeds, sl8ce of something and Jamy looking drizzle all over it with a flower. That to me looks revolting and I've eaten in some very well healed fancy establishments in my 69 yrs on this earth. Had better pub food than that. Rather have eggs at home done by me. The entitled can have their expensive meals and menus.

Don't mind avocado occasionally but this is a joke price. No way!!!

View attachment 31585

View attachment 31586

Key Takeaways

That's avocado 🥑 rip off definitely a walk away menu to a different Cafe for sure wonder how many Gold teeth the chef has 🤔hmmmm

There seems to be lots of avocado haters out there!🤣
I love them and paid $24 today for smashed avocado with 2 pieces of sourdough with garlic oil, lemon, beetroot hummus, dukkah, feta and parsley. Absolutely delicious, cafe staff were fantastic….would definitely go back again. I don’t do it often and smashed avo is my go to. So much better when someone makes it for you! Cafes must be loving it now that avocadoes have gone down in price!😂

What's with this fad of avocado on toast anyway, it's not that crash hot.
Don't know what all the fuss is about.
If you like it you could buy a loaf of bread and a few avos, for around $10 and feed the whole bloody street.
Minus the snob value though.

Reactions: MariaG and Nichola