Customers express outrage over hidden fees on an ‘average tasting sandwich’

As the cost of living continues to rise, consumers are increasingly finding themselves navigating a landscape rife with hidden fees, particularly when dining out.

What begins as a simple meal can quickly become a financial minefield, with unsuspecting patrons encountering unexpected charges on their bills.This was precisely the case for one café-goer, whose experience has sparked a heated debate about the fairness of additional fees for food preparation.

The incident unfolded when a customer, seeking a simple lunchtime pleasure, ordered a sandwich at a Perth café.

Describing the sandwich as ‘average tasting’, the man was taken aback when he discovered that his request to have the sandwich toasted came with a 90-cent surcharge.

Taking to an online forum to express his dismay, he shared, 'Perth café standard…$14.90 for an average tasting sandwich. They charged 90 cents to toast it!'

The post quickly garnered attention, amassing over 150 comments, with many expressing their outrage at the toasting fee.

average tasting sandwich.png
A customer expressed outrage online after a cafe billed him a 90-cent toasting fee. Image Source: Reddit / ShreemBreeze

'I've never been charged to have (a sandwich) toasted before...that's outrageous,' one commenter exclaimed.

Another echoed the sentiment, and said, ‘Charging 90c to toast is absolutely outrageous.’

One user simply said, ‘Absolute joke.’

The consensus among the disgruntled was clear: a toasting fee was an unwelcome surprise.

However, not everyone shared the customer's views.

‘And yet, you bought it, which is why businesses can get away with taking the p*** like this,’ a commenter noted.

Another commenter said, ‘That’s on you. I’m assuming it was in a display case, and you chose the toasted option?’

The debate didn't end there. Some sympathised with the customer's plight, understanding the awkwardness of challenging the price at the point of sale.

‘The prices of things going through the roof in the last say 2 years has definitely been an eye-opener for me on how fantastically more affordable it is to make literally anything yourself,’ a defender of the customer wrote.

This Perth café's toasting fee isn't an isolated incident.

In 2023, Sydney podcast producer Hannah Bowman shared her experience of being charged a ‘wild’ $25 for a smoked salmon bagel at a café.

‘Guys, I've been the victim of a heinous crime,’ she recounted, having been ‘shook to the core’ by the price.

Despite her disbelief, she paid for the bagel and left the café feeling ‘sick’.

Unfortunately, as the cost of living goes up, we are seeing more and more stories of Aussies being outraged at restaurant prices.You can read a similar story of customers criticising a cafe for its expensive prices here.

If stories like this one have convinced you to eat at home more often. You may want to read about how this mum whips up delicious dinners for just $1.60 a plate.
Key Takeaways
  • A Perth café customer expressed his frustration online after being charged 90 cents extra to toast his sandwich.
  • The post about the additional toasting fee sparked a heated debate, with many users sharing their outrage.
  • Some commenters defended the café's pricing, pointing out that he chose to buy the sandwich for the listed price.
  • Earlier in 2023, a Sydney podcast producer was shocked to be charged $25 for a smoked salmon bagel, highlighting concerns over the rising cost of living.
Have you encountered similar hidden fees or outrageous prices when dining out? How did you handle the situation? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
90c to toast a sandwich. Yeah, i can see with the ever-escalating price of electricity, why they're doing it. After all, how long have people been charged 50c-$1 simply to have a piece of fish grilled at their local fish & chip shop, on the SAME already hot grill that they make the hamburgers on!?!

Reactions: JakRoo and PattiB
My concern with this story is not the Toasting fee, but the fact a Sandwich cost $14 in the first place. 2, maybe 4, pieces of Bread, Some filling and maybe 10min prep time, tops.

I've just come home from lunch (in a Perth cafe) I had a toasted cheese and avocado sandwich for $12.50, no extra for toasting.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I would ask everyone that has stated that this is not fair. Can you honestly say that YOU are not going crook about the price of electricity or gas. Blame Albo and his sidekick bowen for their arrogrance and inability to get alternative new energy plants up and running.
While they sit on their hands polishing their seats your toasted sandwich is going up in cost where there won't be any shops that will provide sandwiches.

I would ask everyone that has stated that this is not fair. Can you honestly say that YOU are not going crook about the price of electricity or gas. Blame Albo and his sidekick bowen for their arrogrance and inability to get alternative new energy plants up and running.
While they sit on their hands polishing their seats your toasted sandwich is going up in cost where there won't be any shops that will provide sandwiches.
And Dutton would fix the problem?? He doesn’t have a clue, all he does is say no to everything. He has no solutions to anything, if he had a thought it would be lonely. I guess we are stuck with the best of a bad bunch

An episode that astounded me was at a Club on the N.S.W. Central Coast. Three friends ordered a cup of coffee each. One requested normal milk, one soymilk and the 3rd lactose free milk. All 3 were charged $2 extra for their tiny jug of milk. To me it seems as though they would be making close to $100 per litre of milk! Now that's inflation!

What a hollow argument! If the LNP was in power, would you be making the same statement?

Reactions: 52-KID and PattiB
I was recently charged $1 to have a wrap toasted at my local coffee shop. There was no sign anywhere advising the fee for toasting. I think that $1 is over-the-top & will definitely not get caught in that trap again. Just go back to getting my cup of coffee & eat my own sandwich.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Let's say the sandwich cost $14.90 and it was stipulated on the menu that toasting was 90 cents extra, fair enough.

If not, the place is a pure dump and should be avoided.

Especially if the menu said " Toasted sandwich $14.90" THEN plonked another 90 cents on top.

90c to toast a sandwich. Yeah, i can see with the ever-escalating price of electricity, why they're doing it. After all, how long have people been charged 50c-$1 simply to have a piece of fish grilled at their local fish & chip shop, on the SAME already hot grill that they make the hamburgers on!?!
How many toasted sandwiches can you cook in an 8 hour day? At 45c/kWh, that's just under $9 for a whole day, a lot less than the cost of ONE sandwich.

Some people must think that cafes and takeaway use hundreds of dollars a day in electricity! They aren't lighting up a major sporting stadium!

Reactions: 52-KID and maherdj