Discover how this mum whips up delicious dinners for just $1.60 a plate

In an era when the cost of living seems perpetually on the rise, finding ways to stretch the household budget without compromising on quality or taste can feel like a Herculean task.

However, for one Melbourne mum-of-four, Brooke Schrempf-Dixon, this challenge has become a daily mission, and she's proving that it's entirely possible to serve up hearty, delicious meals for a fraction of the expected cost.

Brooke, who has become something of a culinary sensation online, has been sharing her budget-friendly recipes on social media, much to the delight of her followers.

With the recent spikes in supermarket prices, her page has seen an influx of visitors seeking her wisdom on how to keep their grocery bills low while still enjoying satisfying meals.

423692671_122111000864188211_3500784022845623039_n.jpg
Brooke shares budget-friendly recipes on social media. Image source: Facebook

'It's more important than ever to find ways to cut costs without cutting corners on nutrition and flavour,' Brooke said.

'People are struggling, and if I can help them make cheaper versions of their favourite meals, then that's what I'll do,’ she said.

Among her viral hits are three standout dishes that have become firm favourites with her audience.

The secret ingredient tying these recipes together? Keen's Curry Powder, a pantry staple that adds a punch of flavour without punching a hole in your wallet.

The first of these is Brooke's curried sausages, a dish that has garnered an astonishing 125 million views.

This simple yet scrumptious recipe involves frying sausages, sautéing onions, and creating a rich curry sauce with the addition of Keen's Curry Powder, brown sugar, flour, chicken stock, and a vegetable of choice, such as carrots.

Finished with coconut milk or cream and served with pasta or mash, this dish is not only budget-friendly but also perfect for making in bulk and freezing for later.

‘These curried sausages are a classic for a reason,’ she said. ‘They are budget-friendly, they make in bulk, and they freeze really well.’

You can watch it here:

Source: @aussiemumcooks/TikTok​

Next up is a twist on the classic shepherd's pie infused with the magic of curry powder.

Brooke's version elevates the traditional recipe to new heights, promising a taste experience that's both familiar and excitingly different.

'It's a game-changer for budget meals,' she enthused.

She mentioned the ingredients and instructions here:

Source: keens_aus/Instagram​

The final dish in this thrifty trio is curry pasta.

Onion, capsicum, and chicken are fried with a generous helping of curry powder and then simmered with tomato puree and coconut cream. A sprinkle of cheese and a mix of pasta complete this comforting meal that can feed the family for just $15.

You can follow the recipe here:

Source: keens_aus/Instagram​

The response to these recipes has been overwhelmingly positive, with many commenters praising not only the affordability but also the mouth-watering results.

'Some of the best food I've ever made,' says one satisfied home cook, while another humorously admits, 'It was so good we had to stop ourselves before eating the pan too.'

Brooke's savvy shopping and cooking strategies have allowed her to slash her weekly grocery bill by $200, saving over $10,000 a year on food.

Once a self-confessed chronic overspender, she now spends an average of $150 a week on groceries by planning meals around what she already has at home, sticking to simple recipes, shopping online for specials, and seeking out budget-friendly recipes on social media.

For just $10, she prepares a week's worth of delicious meals for a family of six, costing only $1.60 per serving.

‘I try to make the meals appealing and beyond the boring “tuna pasta” when you think of $10 meals,’ she explained.

Her approach is straightforward yet effective: 'I start by “shopping at home”, taking inventory of what's in my freezer, fridge, and pantry. Then I build my weekly meals around these items, which helps keep my shopping list—and my spending—down.'

The mother also shops online and keeps watch for weekly specials, such as half-price sales or markdowns.

‘Shopping online helps to reduce overspending and only buying what I need,’ she admitted.

She also revealed that she turns to social media in search of easy and inexpensive recipes.

‘I love looking up budget-friendly recipes on TikTok and Facebook that use ingredients I already have at home,’ she said. ‘(I then) compile a list of recipes I want to make and work my way through the list.’

By sharing her journey and her recipes, Brooke Schrempf-Dixon is not just helping her own family; she's inspiring a community of budget-conscious cooks to rethink what it means to eat well on a budget.

Her message is clear: with a little creativity and planning, anyone can make delicious, nutritious meals that won't break the bank.

So, whether you're cooking for one, two, or a whole family, follow Brooke's advice and see how you can transform your weekly menu.

And remember, the joy of cooking doesn't have to come with a hefty price tag.

Key Takeaways
  • Melbourne mum-of-four Brooke Schrempf-Dixon shared thrifty recipes online, feeding her family of six for as little as $1.60 per serving.
  • Her popular dishes, which use Keen's Curry Powder, have gone viral and include curried sausages, shepherd's pie, and curry pasta, all praised for being budget-friendly and delicious.
  • By 'shopping at home' and planning meals around existing pantry items, Brooke has cut her weekly grocery bill by $200, saving over $10,000 annually.
  • She shops online to avoid overspending, takes advantage of weekly specials and markdowns, and seeks out simple recipes on social media to further minimise food costs and wastage.
Have you tried any budget-friendly recipes that have become staples in your home? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored