Coles branch refuses to dispense cash to customers—find out why!

In an unprecedented move, a Coles supermarket in the remote town of Kununurra, Western Australia, has ceased offering cash-out services at its registers.

This decision, a first for any Coles store in Australia, has been driven by an overwhelming demand for cash following the closure of all banks in the town.

This left some residents with no choice but to undertake an arduous hundred-kilometre journey to the nearest bank for their banking needs.

The Coles supermarket, typically a reliable source for customers to withdraw up to $300 at self-service checkouts or up to $400 at staffed checkouts or service desks, has found itself in an unprecedented situation.

The store has been inundated with requests for cash following the closure of the town's last operating bank, Commonwealth Bank (CBA), due to a vandalism attack.

SDC 3.jpg
A Coles branch in Western Australia has ceased offering cash-out services to its customers. Image source: Shutterstock.

The closure was due to smashed glass doors and two ATM screens in mid-January.

This followed the closures of CBA subsidiary Bankwest (set to close on April 18), NAB (September 2022), and Westpac (October 2022) branches in the town due to staffing issues.

'While Coles usually offers the convenience of facilitating cash-out for our customers, due to the increase in demand, we have made the decision to pause the option of cash-out at our Kununurra store,' a Coles spokesperson explained.

'We understand this is a challenging time for the community. However, we are not operationally equipped to handle large volumes of cash.'

The decision has left the residents of Kununurra in a difficult position.

With the nearest bank now over 800 kilometres away in Darwin or 1000 kilometres away in Broome, the community grappled with the reality of a cashless town.

Similar bank closures have led to some residents having to travel significant distances to access their money.

For instance, one man reportedly drove 130km to withdraw $300 cash from his bank in Western Australia, only to be refused.

The situation in Kununurra also highlighted the changing role of supermarkets and other businesses in providing access to cash.

With banks closing branches across the country, businesses like Coles and Australia Post are increasingly being relied upon to fill the gap.

However, as the situation in Kununurra showed, these businesses may not be equipped to handle the increased demand for cash.

Australia Post, for instance, recently shared that it was spending about $4,000 a week to send cash to their Coober Pedy branch in South Australia to ensure residents could access physical currency.

Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Associate Professor of Finance Dr Angel Zhong explained, 'Businesses need to consider a lot of factors when making operational decisions because they need to balance how they make profit. [With Coles] it’s also about security concerns for staff.'

'But, to some extent, it is essential to ensure that essential services like access to cash are available to residents. Without these alternative options, this decision—not just by Coles but by other banks—will potentially leave people in that area without a convenient [option] to obtain physical currency.'

Dr Zhong also reiterated that dispensing cash to customers was not the supermarket’s 'primary business'.

'It is really important for businesses—especially banking businesses, whose primary business is providing access to financial matters—and community leaders to work together to find solutions that balance that need for security but also for operational efficiency for essential services.'

The situation in Kununurra is a microcosm of a larger trend happening across Australia.

According to the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), about 420 bank branches across Australia closed in the year to June 2023, including 122 branches in regional and remote areas.

This trend, coupled with the increasing popularity of digital payments, has led some experts to predict that Australia will become functionally cashless by 2030.

However, the transition to a cashless society is not without its challenges.

As Dr Zhong noted, 'If we want to embrace this shift in technology, it's really important that we recognise the challenges faced by rural areas with slow internet and for the government to increase spending and community leaders to increase investment in infrastructure.'

'I believe that government and private entities can work together to invest in better internet infrastructure to improve connectivity so that rural areas are not left behind in this inevitable transition.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket in Kununurra, Western Australia, has ceased its cash-out services due to high demand and operational challenges after local banks closed.
  • The change has left some residents facing lengthy journeys to access banking services, with the nearest bank being over 800 kilometres away.
  • Australia is moving towards a functionally cashless society, with a significant reduction in the use of physical cash for consumer payments over recent years.
  • Regional and rural areas face challenges in the cashless transition due to infrastructure limitations, calls for improved internet connectivity and collaboration between government and private entities to support these communities have been made.
What are your thoughts on this situation? Have you experienced similar issues in your community? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Coles are not a bank and the banking facilities were vandalised, so clearly the residents didn't think too much of the bank offerings. Having been to Kununurra will point out there is also a post office that provides banking (unlike Cole a service they are paid to provided).

Why doesn’t Coles apply to have an ATM installed in the store. Many supermarkets in small rural towns have them, in fact in Mortlake Victoria, the local IGA has the only ATM in town and is the only source of cash when the post office is closed.

I personally are against a cashless society, we are slowly loosing the right to have access to our money. Banks and the government want complete control, they will continue to invest our money, and make huge profits, yet you and I will not see any increase in interest.
Before they make this decision there should be a referendum..let the people decide, what is best for them.
this country is not set up for a cashless society, we have an unreliable internet infrastructure, NBN is a joke, they’ve rushed to get it out, took shortcuts and now we find we are worse of than before.
telecommunication is unreliable, so many dropouts..so a lot of people are left in urgent need.

STOP this insanity..give the people what they need and want..THEY want CASH
and a reliable internet and telecommunications structure.

The public should be given a choice to use cash or not. There needs to be a referendum on this. Instead we are being forced into a cashless society by the banks and the Gov. the internet is not safe enough to handle our money now and it will probably get worse rather than better. Why should we be MADE to go along with this with no say in the matter. 😡

To hell with a cashless society... going digital will mean not only the scammers but also the governments of the day will be able to steal your money... Also there will be things that you wont be able to buy like food if your credit score is to low... YOU WILL BE A SLAVE to the WEF and the ONE WORLD ORDER, Or are you all to brainwashed and fast asleep to realised what is happening

Me too classic 141922 I recently “ experimented “ while on holidays by using only my debit card haha spent SO much time checking my account BUT if I’d had money in my purse I would know what I’d spent ect CASH IS KING in Jans world
What! You don’t keep Bank statements and Purchase Receipts! It is very simple to keep a track on purchases to adjust your.Bank balance, if you can add/ subtract.

Reactions: Vinylted
I personally are against a cashless society, we are slowly loosing the right to have access to our money. Banks and the government want complete control, they will continue to invest our money, and make huge profits, yet you and I will not see any increase in interest.
Before they make this decision there should be a referendum..let the people decide, what is best for them.
this country is not set up for a cashless society, we have an unreliable internet infrastructure, NBN is a joke, they’ve rushed to get it out, took shortcuts and now we find we are worse of than before.
telecommunication is unreliable, so many dropouts..so a lot of people are left in urgent need.

I agree with you….I really believe that we are losing the right to access our own money in cash…..Banks were built so that they could look after our money instead of keeping what we earned, at home ….banks were supposed to be a safe place to keep our money and the bank would offer us an interest depending on how much we deposited, on the understanding that they would use our deposits to invest in whatever they liked…..they get to keep what profits our money earned and we don’t benefit in any way, nor do we charge them for using our money. But they got greedy for more money so they started charging us a fee for just about any transaction we made, bearing in mind that they are all the time making a profit from our money as well…….They made it so that we could only access a certain amount of money in a day, and if we wanted more then we had to have permission because they’re so greedy to hold onto our money……..they think it’s theirs now and some people have to jump through hoops to access their money in cash….and it’s so morally wrong and it is an insaniTy as you say….

Why doesn’t Coles apply to have an ATM installed in the store. Many supermarkets in small rural towns have them, in fact in Mortlake Victoria, the local IGA has the only ATM in town and is the only source of cash when the post office is closed.
Better still why not obtain a Banking Licence and offer easy to operate Savings, Term Deposit, Debit cards, Credit cards etc.. They all have Cash safes and access to Armoured Cash truck services. Place a Tellers position in their Check out area and Bobs your Uncle!

Are the Banks treating this as a big game where the winner takes all?

Are we all being slowly stripped of our dignity & herded along like sheep, eventually losing our freedom to think & act as individuals? I hope not.

Perhaps they will soon issue Monopoly money for us to use in lieu of real cash?

👍👍

Reactions: Ezzy