Bankwest customer ‘absolutely gobsmacked’ after 130km cash withdrawal trip ends in failure

In an era where digital transactions are becoming the norm, it's easy to forget the importance of physical cash.

However, for many Australians, especially those in rural areas, cash remains a crucial part of daily life.

A recent incident involving a Bankwest customer in Western Australia has highlighted the growing concerns about cash accessibility and the potential implications of a cashless society.

Graeme Reid, a resident of Latham, a rural town about 300km northeast of Perth, recently embarked on a 130km round trip to his nearest Bankwest branch in Dalwallinu.

The purpose of his journey was simple: to withdraw $300 in cash. However, upon arrival, Reid's wife was denied the withdrawal.

melissa-walker-horn-hK4ZB2HUtEc-unsplash.jpg
A Bankwest customer couldn’t withdraw cash after taking a 65km trip to his nearest branch. Credit: Unsplash

The teller advised her to visit the post office for the withdrawal instead.

This incident left Reid and his wife 'absolutely gobsmacked'.

Reid expressed his disbelief, stating, ‘I said, “If you can't get money out of a bank, you may as well close” and [the teller] said, “Well, we haven't been told we're going to close, but I guess it won't be long before that happens, it's what banks are doing now.”’

The Reids were not the only ones facing this issue.

Another customer at the bank was also denied a cash withdrawal.

While the Reids were able to withdraw a limited amount of cash from their personal account at the post office, they were unable to access funds from their business account.

‘You can't do that down at the post office there because you've got to have a pin number for that account,' Reid said.

The situation in Dalwallinu is not unique.

Glen Jones, a resident, shared that many locals are frustrated with the bank's refusal to dispense cash, even when withdrawals have been pre-arranged.

Customers are being directed to a bank branch in Moora, an hour's drive away. The bank has also refused cash deposits, causing difficulties for local businesses.

'Someone like the footy club, they want to get cash out for a big function this weekend...they have to go to Moora to get the cash,' Jones said.

Jones added the bank branch also refused cash deposits, making it difficult for local businesses.

'The cafes, the roadhouses, the pubs...you can't deposit, they tell you to go and deposit at the post office, and sometimes it's not even open,' he said.

The fear among locals is that Bankwest might be considering the complete closure of the branch, following the trend of major banks shutting down hundreds of regional branches.

A Bankwest spokesperson, however, stated that the bank does not have a policy limiting the number of customers able to withdraw cash from a branch.

They added that withdrawal limits were set at $3,000 per day per customer, with higher values requiring 48 hours notice.

According to the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, almost 800 bank branches have closed in regional and rural Australia since 2017.

Recently, the National Australia Bank (NAB) has announced its decision to close five branches nationwide on 7 March 2024—Tuggeranong in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Scone in New South Wales (NSW), Emerald in Greater Melbourne, Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast, and Balmain in Sydney.

On the other hand, big banks still limit access to physical money, with NAB, ANZ, and Commonwealth Bank opening ‘cashless’ branches.
Key Takeaways

• A Bankwest customer in rural Western Australia was barred from withdrawing $300 cash at his local branch in Dalwallinu.
  • Customers are being directed to a more distant branch in Moora or to use the post office for withdrawals, indicating potential service limitations at smaller branches.
  • Locals worry the Dalwallinu branch may close imminently, echoing broader concerns over branch closures and banking services moving away from cash transactions.
How about you, members? Have you gone through something like what the Reids experienced? Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
In an era where digital transactions are becoming the norm, it's easy to forget the importance of physical cash.

However, for many Australians, especially those in rural areas, cash remains a crucial part of daily life.

A recent incident involving a Bankwest customer in Western Australia has highlighted the growing concerns about cash accessibility and the potential implications of a cashless society.

Graeme Reid, a resident of Latham, a rural town about 300km northeast of Perth, recently embarked on a 130km round trip to his nearest Bankwest branch in Dalwallinu.

The purpose of his journey was simple: to withdraw $300 in cash. However, upon arrival, Reid's wife was denied the withdrawal.

View attachment 40115
A Bankwest customer couldn’t withdraw cash after taking a 65km trip to his nearest branch. Credit: Unsplash

Reid expressed his disbelief, stating, ‘I said, “If you can't get money out of a bank, you may as well close” and [the teller] said, “Well, we haven't been told we're going to close, but I guess it won't be long before that happens, it's what banks are doing now.”’

While the Reids were able to withdraw a limited amount of cash from their personal account at the post office, they were unable to access funds from their business account.

‘You can't do that down at the post office there because you've got to have a pin number for that account,' Reid said.

Glen Jones, a resident, shared that many locals are frustrated with the bank's refusal to dispense cash, even when withdrawals have been pre-arranged.

Customers are being directed to a bank branch in Moora, an hour's drive away. The bank has also refused cash deposits, causing difficulties for local businesses.

'Someone like the footy club, they want to get cash out for a big function this weekend...they have to go to Moora to get the cash,' Jones said.

Jones added the bank branch also refused cash deposits, making it difficult for local businesses.

'The cafes, the roadhouses, the pubs...you can't deposit, they tell you to go and deposit at the post office, and sometimes it's not even open,' he said.

The fear among locals is that Bankwest might be considering the complete closure of the branch, following the trend of major banks shutting down hundreds of regional branches.

A Bankwest spokesperson, however, stated that the bank does not have a policy limiting the number of customers able to withdraw cash from a branch.

They added that withdrawal limits were set at $3,000 per day per customer, with higher values requiring 48 hours notice.

According to the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, almost 800 bank branches have closed in regional and rural Australia since 2017.

Recently, the National Australia Bank (NAB) has announced its decision to close five branches nationwide on 7 March 2024—Tuggeranong in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Scone in New South Wales (NSW), Emerald in Greater Melbourne, Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast, and Balmain in Sydney.

On the other hand, big banks still limit access to physical money, with NAB, ANZ, and Commonwealth Bank opening ‘cashless’ branches.
Key Takeaways

• A Bankwest customer in rural Western Australia was barred from withdrawing $300 cash at his local branch in Dalwallinu.
  • Customers are being directed to a more distant branch in Moora or to use the post office for withdrawals, indicating potential service limitations at smaller branches.
  • Locals worry the Dalwallinu branch may close imminently, echoing broader concerns over branch closures and banking services moving away from cash transactions.
How about you, members? Have you gone through something like what the Reids experienced? Tell us in the comments below!
Tell the Bank to Transfer your accounts to another bank. Do not with draw and close. If you transfer the manager has to explain why he lost an account.

View attachment 40115

Key Takeaways

Bank's are parasites to the people all about profits 📈 not customers 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

If the local post office can provide the same service as a bank branch, then why is that a problem? It's the same service, just a different building and different livery.
Everything we can do to keep the post office in business is important.
There's a limit on how much a Post Office can give you and as the gentleman said he couldn't withdraw from his business account.
A bank should not be allowed,by law, to refuse to give you your OWN money.
After all, you didn't deposit your money in a Post Office.
Why are we allowing banks to get away with this crap?

If I could live without ANY BANKS I would
In Lithgow our local bank branches are closing a lot.

We will be losing another one this year (NAB) - I know of several people & business in Lithgow that changed to NAB after ANZ closed and now, they must change again. This is not good enough for small/rural towns. SHAME ON YOU BIG BANKS you should be closing the extra big city branches first.

Tell me any other business that does not have the same policy. Would you invest and work without reward?
The reward is having many, many satisfied customers with loyalty paid to them by ways and means. This is rapidly disappearing, and yes, something has to be done. A bank dispenses money like a butcher sells meat, no customers, no business .

Bavk around the day the CBA gave out credit/debit cards, a new concept at the time I still had my CBA passbook. When the young lady explained to me about the use of my new debit card I told her that one day such cards would put her out of a job. She look at me in a most surprised manner. Well, some 40 years later.........

This sounds like a made up story. Either it's made up for sensational response from the choir or there's vital information being left off. Don't all branches also have ATMs that are more likely where someone would be directed.
Maybe the people didn't have plastic cards

This cashless way of payment is great I will admit that, but we need to retain cash in our community especially for the elderly people who don't understand how to use card payments, I went through this with my father who was in his 90's he had no idea what to do with cashless payments and I would venture to say that he would not be the only one.
So I got the job of paying the bills for him, I don't know how the elderly get on if they haven't got a family member to help them with cashless payments. This makes it very difficult for people in this situation.

There's a limit on how much a Post Office can give you and as the gentleman said he couldn't withdraw from his business account.
A bank should not be allowed,by law, to refuse to give you your OWN money.
After all, you didn't deposit your money in a Post Office.
Why are we allowing banks to get away with this crap?
People allow it because they do as they are told...sheep... Many are yet to realise that the people ARE the power!