Hi there
Christmas to me is a time to show love and be kind to family and others. Each year we arrange a time over Christmas that we can all be together. My children's dad and I have been separated/ divorced for 27 years. Over that time my Ex has attended each Christmas celebration. Our respective partners have always been included as well. We all get on really well and all our children do too. I feel very blessed. Merry Christmas to all.

It was Christmas in the 60’s I was 12 years old. I really wanted a watch but we didn’t have much money. I was the youngest of 10 children with a gap of 10 years between my other sister and myself . Christmas Day arrived and I opened my gifts, no watch ( sad face) I was disappointed but moved on with the special day. My Mother called me in latter and handed me a small box oh my goodness it was the watch I wanted! I cried and cried and I still have that watch in my possession I’m 69 today! It’s very very special to me and I will never forget that magical Christmas. I was the luckiest young lady in the world!!

Attachments

• 6C71507C-E369-4F28-A913-DFC397BAAF78.jpeg
    6C71507C-E369-4F28-A913-DFC397BAAF78.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My most memorable Christmas was when we hosted a West Indies cricketer for Christmas Dinner in 1968. We young brother was at the warm up game at the MCG and started talking to the reserve wicket-keeper Mike Findlay. He mentioned it to dad. Dad went in next day and met Mike. Dad asked him what the team would do on Christmas Day. Mike said, a training session and then lunch in the hotel. Dad invited Mike to our family Christmas Dinner. Mike agreed. Dad and my brother went into town, picked up Mike and drove him to Moorabbin. Dinner was at mum's sister's place. There were six boys and 4 adults. Mike had a wife and 2 children back in the Windward Islands.
Mike was relaxed and joined in our street cricket game and later played Twister on the lounge room floor. Our dinner, heavy on cream kisses, cream lamingtons, cream sponges with strawberry filling, cream filled brandy snaps, chocolate eclairs, cream puffs and a plate of shortbread might not have met the cricketer's training diet- but it was Christmas.
It was a joy and delight to give a home-sick young cricketer a warm, family Christmas. Mike later kept wicket for the West Indies for 5 years. My brother kept in touch for over 30 years.

Stuart Williams

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
It was Christmas in the 60’s I was 12 years old. I really wanted a watch but we didn’t have much money. I was the youngest of 10 children with a gap of 10 years between my other sister and myself . Christmas Day arrived and I opened my gifts, no watch ( sad face) I was disappointed but moved on with the special day. My Mother called me in latter and handed me a small box oh my goodness it was the watch I wanted! I cried and cried and I still have that watch in my possession I’m 69 today! It’s very very special to me and I will never forget that magical Christmas. I was the luckiest young lady in the world!!
Happy Birthday!!🥳🌷🌷🌹🌻🎂🍾

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
There are many wonderful memories when I was younger and lived near my Sydney family, before moving away with my young family.

The decision was made back then to move towards Kris Kringle as the family grew and to save money.

I remember my pensioner mother, who since passed in 2011, saying something like...

"You can all do Kris Kringle if you like, but this is my family and I will buy presents for everyone if I like, because I want to."

She then smiled her beautiful smile and there were no arguments with that. She was the boss.

I tend to continue in the same vein, even though my small family has also moved to Kris Kringle.

Love you and miss you Mum 🥰

Being one of 6 children and our parents having a very large back yard, our Christmas days were always a huge gathering. Obligatory cricket played and a lot of cheating of course, and afternoon tea was cold watermelon (Australian Summer!) and at night, we always had a family concert. Every family member had to come up with something. My Mum was not a fan of Cher, so I decided that I would get a "Turn back Time" costume made, friend loaned me the high boots, donned the black wig and leather jacket, two nephews dressed up as the band with blow up guitars and the music started. Mum was standing at the back and when I came out, I never realised that all Mum could see was the black stips of satin ribbon sewed onto a flesh coloured body suit! She said to my sister " she only has black ribbon on!" I only wish that we had mobile phones to video it as it was a memory I will never forget - what made is funnier was that I was unaware that the neighbours heard the commotion and were watching over the fence. All I can say is that the only saving grace was that I look nothing like Cher! Wonderful memories of the Family Concerts.

I remember most Christmas but the one that always sticks with me is 1973 we had just moved to Darwin for my father's work. Left all our friends and family behind. I had just turned 12 and my brother was 9 and we were living in a motel until our house was ready. I was used to having all our extended family over on Christmas day. I was expecting a very lonely Christmas stuck in our room reading. Mum and Dad did their very best to make the day special. Later that morning the owners of the motel came and insisted that we join their family celebrations. The hospitality and welcoming atmosphere that was shown to us will always stay with me. It's the little gestures that matter most and stay the longest. The next Christmas also sticks in my mind as we were now back in Sydney and spent weeks trying to find out if the friends we made had survived cyclone Tracey. It was exciting when we seen them boarding a plane on one of the news broadcasts

My favourite Christmas memory was when all the kids were young and in our families we had quite a few we would have Christmas at my sisters house, during the festivities they would hear a bell ringing we would all run out the front to see a very happy Santa come flying down the road on a ride on mower ( they lived in a court) with a high pitched laugh and a sack of toys on the back and a few spins later he would come to a stop all the kids would be jumping all over him, We had a decorated chair on the front lawn for him to sit and everyone would sit on the lawn and wait to be called for presents and a photo they loved it.

My favourite memory is at 8.00 am on Christmas Day Santa comes over the ferry on his way home to the North Pole and greets all the little children and gives out presents. This is at at my parents house at North Shore and still occurs today. I can’t wait for my grandchildren to experienice this.

My wifes Birthday is Christmas day ,so for the last 37 years we have been able to have a double celebration every Christmas by being able to spoil her and being able to have our families spoil Carol as well.So Christmas Carol is the reason our day is so special

My memory of Christmas goes a long way back. My first husbands mother had a family tradition that every member of the family including in- laws had to stir the Christmas pudding before she cooked it. It was a wonderful time to get catch up and one one of the last times I spent with my father- in- law who passed shortly after Christmas

Only have 1 Xmas happy memory was back in 1958 at the age of 9. I was staying at grans as parents had split up again and dad gave me a Scalectric slot car set for Xmas what was so special is I never got Xmas Or birthday presents so is something VERY special that I have remembered vividly. As A side note around 50 years later was chatting with a friend of dads and this came up and his reply was YES I remember the set you talk about I Loaned it to your dad and Always wondered what happened to it. I still have that slot car set to this very day though it is now in a bad way and hardly works.
Eric

My favourite Christmas memory is travelling in the car with Mum, Dad and two brothers 600 miles non stop from Central NSW to Naracoorte SA. As a child I had long hair and it caused static havoc with the radio if not tightly restrained, back in the day we didn't have air con, all to have a family Christmas with all our Southern cousins, Aunts and Uncles. It was so good to be surrounded with so much family, all traditional English Christmas food. My parents ran a Post Office and were time poor, so we usually only had a day or so. I have some photos of us all to help with my memories. So good.

My favourite Christmas memory is
Dad was home. (He worked on the oil tankers as a cook and usually we didn't see him until Boxing Day if they were in port or many months when he went overseas)
We were a family of 6 kids, I am 4th in line and the youngest brother was about 3 years old.
Well this particular Christmas, Mum and Dad bought a swing set for us kids. They spent Christmas Eve putting this swing set together and at 4 am my brother is on the swing set, swinging away and singing his favourite song Puff the Magic Dragon.
I don't think Mum and Dad got more than a couple of hours sleep. AAH the joys of Parenthood

My father was one of 18 his first real Christmas was the first year he was married to mum. Because of this every year we would gather around the tree and each person would open one gift at a time starting with the oldest to the youngest consequently it took hours to complete the process but worth it to revel in his childlike excitement . We had to make sure he had the same number of gifts to open as everyone else . Now he is gone we still practice this routine in his memory with laughter and funny memories. Merry Christmas one and all .

Christmas Competition!

We are so excited to launch our final competition of 2022! This one is extra special because it’s Christmas themed for the holidays AND we are drawing it in the first week of December, so the winner can use their $100 voucher to either Coles, Woolies, ALDI or IGA to help with the Christmas shopping!

Entering the competition is simple! All we want is to hear about your favourite Christmas memories. It can be any Christmas you remember. Maybe it was your childhood Christmas. Or maybe, it was last year’s Christmas. Whatever it was, we want to hear about it! The person with our favourite Christmas memory will win a $100 voucher to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, ALDI or IGA!)

So get storytelling members; it’s time to get into the Christmas Spiri

I decided to use an old aunt's recipe for my Christmas pudding as we were finally having a big get together. The recipe called for 1/2 cup rum to soak the fruit in. After I put it in I thought it was not enough, so I put in another 1/2. Unbeknown to me my husband looked at it and put in another 1/2 cup. Soaked it overnight and when coming to make the puddings I thought it was a bit dry so put in another 1/2 cup. 2 cups of rum later and after 2 months hanging it was pronounced the best pudding ever.

Oh, where to start.

Well, I remember waking up one Christmas morning and going into the lounge to find all the presents in a green canvas wading pool. That pool got some great use over the years.

I also remember helping my mum mix up the Christmas cake and puddings (yes two; the recipe made a large and small one). Of course, everyone had to have a stir of the pudding for luck. Also loved to find those sixpences and threepence. Of course, can't use todays coins as you would poison everyone.

After my dad passed, mum and I had Christmas with her youngest sister and family which was alternated between 4 houses (including ours). We would have 12 people (kids included) seated and would have so much food that would need two fridges. Everyone would contribute. We would have Turkey, pork and ham with all the roast trimmings. Of course, there were always left overs that would be around for up to a week (longer for the ham). Used to get so tired of turkey and ham that for a change would have ham and turkey. Why is it at Christmas we have so much food?

Christmas Competition!

We are so excited to launch our final competition of 2022! This one is extra special because it’s Christmas themed for the holidays AND we are drawing it in the first week of December, so the winner can use their $100 voucher to either Coles, Woolies, ALDI or IGA to help with the Christmas shopping!

Entering the competition is simple! All we want is to hear about your favourite Christmas memories. It can be any Christmas you remember. Maybe it was your childhood Christmas. Or maybe, it was last year’s Christmas. Whatever it was, we want to hear about it! The person with our favourite Christmas memory will win a $100 voucher to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, ALDI or IGA!)

So get storytelling members; it’s time to get into the Christmas Spirit!

My favourite Christmas memory is getting up early Christmas morning, opening 1gift and hopping in to the car to drive to Rocky to visit granny. We stayed in a tent in the caravan park. There were 12 of us including mum and dad. These were the best Christmases ever.

Reactions: Ricci
My favorite Christmas memory is after opening presents we met all the other kids on the street and spent the morning playing with our gifts and checking out what everybody got. Then in for the hot roast lunch regardless of the temperature and straight back out onto the street. Such freedom and friendship. The entire street knew each other and everyone was welcome in each home with the full tribe of children going from house to house.
A simpler happier time